Rant for the Day (keep it clean)

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok update:

it is included under " other income payments" ...so basically anytime you pay anyone $600 for anything you are supposed to report that person to the IRS..wow
I guess all my bills of sales are going to be for $595 from now on ....
That way armed IRS agents can go harass people!🙄☹️

Ok update:

it is included under " other income payments" ...so basically anytime you pay anyone $600 for anything you are supposed to report that person to the IRS..wow
I guess all my bills of sales are going to be for $595 from now on ....
Is this for a business or for you personally?

I'm assuming it is for a business since individuals don't send out 1099's, although if they freelance, they can (and likely do) received them. Businesses don't have to send 1099's for anything they buy over $600. If they did, the IRS would be overloaded with paperwok. They don't have to send 1099's to corporations, nor do they send them for product purchases. In the office I worked at, 1099's were sent out to vendors who completed services and were not incorporated. For example lawyers, computer techs, painters, and repairmen.......basically labor, which is not subject to sales tax.

Some small businesses send 1099's to everyone, but it is not necessary. I think it's b/c they don't know who they do and who they don't have to send them to.....so they just send them to everyone. When I received one, I just threw it away b/c they weren't required to send it and everything was reported to the IRS anyways.

In your case, do you pay for the hay in cash? Do you get a receipt? Are you paying sales tax on it? Are you using it as an expense for a business?

I finally bought a printer. After years of mooching off my neighbors or using the machine at staples. Bought a budget friendly canon laser monochromatic.

I researched it quite a bit because I know well what a pita printers can be. Thought I had the set up variables worked out before I bought. Was I wrong!

Connecting to WiFi was easy and worked first time. But printing from mobile devices was a real bear!

Long story short; five hours and fifteen different apps later, I finally found an app that works. For both my Android phone and tablet. Although you should know that it worked the first time with my phone, but I had to keep retrying to recognize the printer from my tablet. On the third try it worked! Noko print. Hallelujah!

I am using the hay receipt for schedule F so yes, a business expense
Yeah, businesses are certainly put under heavy scrutiny, especially small businesses. I don't know if hay is taxable in your state or not, but I would think if you had a receipt with proof that you paid sales tax, that should suffice.....although, I doubt that is the case.

Your accountant may want to be certain that you are fully compliant b/c it could be considered a grey area. I would assume that the farmer is not incorporated. If he is, all he has to do is fill out a simple form W9 with his tax ID number and you wouldn't have to send him one. Otherwise, personal cash payments over $595 it is......if the goal is avoiding sending out a 1099. At least that is my understanding, not financial advice.

I have no printer for this laptop computer, so whenever I need to print something (which doesn't happen very often), I take my computer to the library and the gal at the reference desk helps me print out a copy. There's a machine situated by the desk, and I send an email or a file with whatever I want copied, then feed dimes into the machine so it'll kick out the printed material. Print jobs are never rush jobs, so I just wait till I'm going to the library anyway to bag more books. For me, this method is cheaper & easier than buying my own printer. I used to have a printer back when I had a desktop PC, but all that stuff got shot to pieces years ago, lol. Old electronics gear makes for great shooting targets on these impromptu redneck ranges... after all the grief the goldurned thing gave me over the years, blasting my old desktop computer with a .45-70 lever carbine was like THERAPY, lol. :thumbs:

IMG_2093.jpg

IMG_2099 (1).jpg

IMG_2113.jpg

IMG_2098.jpg

IMG_2006.jpg

Rant......
I won a gift card back in the fall of 2019. I had almost forgotten about it until I cleaned out a file. I thought it was a perfect way to buy ammo online since I don't like to buy ammo with a credit card and usually only use cash for that. So, I went online to buy the ammo only to find out that the original $300 card that I won is now only worth $160. :mad: Apparently after 1 year, the visa cards will chip away $5 per month until your card is rendered useless. I'm so mad at myself. I should have known better than to let it sit there, but not being aware of the devaluation of the card, I didn't give it much thought.

So, I went ahead and used it to buy ammo. I have to just tell myself that the ammo was 'free' b/c I won it.:D Still, I'm kicking myself for not using it sooner since I would've gotten twice the amount of ammo. Oh well, at least the card didn't go down to zero before I noticed it. But, dang! It hurts.:(

angie, I guess that explains why some gift cards I tried to use years later had "expired" and had nothing on them.

My arm is doing worse again and it is frustrating me. Been trying to do some cleanup and having a hard time with it. Cats knocked a bunch of stuff over. I really should entertain them more. They get restless/bored and start jumping and running all around and stuff gets knocked down. As I was cleaning I picked stuff up and set it on shelves and counters. Turned around and the furry buttholes knocked stuff down again. Then some of them sat on stuff I was trying to sweep up (trash can got knocked over earlier and spilled out). One of the cats decided to lie down right where I was cleaning and swished his tail under my foot as I was stepping. Then he got mad that I stepped on his tail. I had to pick him up and give him head-kisses and then set him on the table out of my way. Also, when I was trying to get something out of the freezer earlier, Temjin ran into it and climbed to a spot at the very back on the bottom shelf so I had to bend over and pull her out.

Now my back is complaining to me and so is my arm. I'm taking a little break before I get back up and clean more. I'm sooo looking forward to the AC guys coming tomorrow and fixing things so I'm not constantly sweating in here.

Just a heads up for people who still have Dish Network. I'm glad I cancelled last year, but for anyone who still might be using Dish, check your bills closely. This company is shady as heck.....so glad I cancelled!

I found this on Gab:

BIG ALERT!! Everyone who has DISH NETWORK check your bank auto pay. just got off the phone with them and found out I am being charged $40 more a month than what my contract states. She said that their system was hacked on February 27th and customers information may have been taken. I asked her why they did not alert their customers and she said because they do not want to start mass panic and it would cause high call volumes. She said their system is currently down and do not know when it will be back up and cannot stop my auto pay and dont know when or if they will be able to correct the overages to my account. She also, told me if I cancel my service I will still be charged the cancellation fees.

Just a heads up for people who still have Dish Network. I'm glad I cancelled last year, but for anyone who still might be using Dish, check your bills closely. This company is shady as heck.....so glad I cancelled!

I found this on Gab:

BIG ALERT!! Everyone who has DISH NETWORK check your bank auto pay. just got off the phone with them and found out I am being charged $40 more a month than what my contract states. She said that their system was hacked on February 27th and customers information may have been taken. I asked her why they did not alert their customers and she said because they do not want to start mass panic and it would cause high call volumes. She said their system is currently down and do not know when it will be back up and cannot stop my auto pay and dont know when or if they will be able to correct the overages to my account. She also, told me if I cancel my service I will still be charged the cancellation fees.
Thanks! I'll tell my mother. She was just complaining about our Dish bill going up without any explanation.

Got my CV axle replaced. Turns out the wheelbearing was still OK, but they said it looks like the dealership did the damage to the axle when replacing the wheelbearing. Good news was it was less than they quoted to install the axle and took less time than I expected. Also it drives better and was quiet at low speeds. But it gets louder at higher speeds so I don't know what is causing the sound its making at higher speeds. I get over 30mph and it gets louder.

Also, the city workers broke a main waterline on my friend's street. It caused his yard to flood badly and the water did something to his water heater stand, causing it to tip over and his water heater fell and busted a hole in it. He was out digging a trench trying to get the water to flow away from it. He blames the city, but our corrupt mayor will never allow any reimbursement. We have a mutual friend who had his truck window broken by a rock flying from a city lawnmower as he drove by. He reported it to City Hall and requested reimbursement. Mayor showed up with cops and told him to drop the claim or he'd be arrested. Accused him of filing a false report. Fortunately, his gf bailed him out after he told the mayor what to eat. Unfortunately, he eventually caved and agreed to drop the claim if they would drop the charges. The mayor kept threatening to have him locked up again for no valid reason if he didn't. But, bc this whole town and Parish is so corrupt, no one will do anything about it. He uses cops as thugs to intimidate people and extort $ from them. City roads are all a complete mess-- pot holes, repairs not fixed for years-- etc. Meanwhile the mayor is driving a brand new Mercedes he got with taxpayer $$$.

The flipper/scumlord down the street has been working for 2 days on a few honey suckle bushes on the fenceline to his property, Either his chain is backwards, or he doesn't know how to sharpen one, it' should be been a 30 minute job. I tire of the useless droning of his chaingnawer, beavers would have been done by now.

Nope, not gonna help, he is a rental scumlord.

Well, I thought I would help the little Girl Scouts by buying a few boxes of Girl Scout cookies. I received the order last night, and realized I had spent $65 on these cookies. I opened a few of the packages, and saw there are 15 cookies in a $5 box. That is $.33 cents a piece for really horrible cookies. Anybody want a box?

Thanks! I'll tell my mother. She was just complaining about our Dish bill going up without any explanation.

Got my CV axle replaced. Turns out the wheelbearing was still OK, but they said it looks like the dealership did the damage to the axle when replacing the wheelbearing. Good news was it was less than they quoted to install the axle and took less time than I expected. Also it drives better and was quiet at low speeds. But it gets louder at higher speeds so I don't know what is causing the sound its making at higher speeds. I get over 30mph and it gets louder.

Also, the city workers broke a main waterline on my friend's street. It caused his yard to flood badly and the water did something to his water heater stand, causing it to tip over and his water heater fell and busted a hole in it. He was out digging a trench trying to get the water to flow away from it. He blames the city, but our corrupt mayor will never allow any reimbursement. We have a mutual friend who had his truck window broken by a rock flying from a city lawnmower as he drove by. He reported it to City Hall and requested reimbursement. Mayor showed up with cops and told him to drop the claim or he'd be arrested. Accused him of filing a false report. Fortunately, his gf bailed him out after he told the mayor what to eat. Unfortunately, he eventually caved and agreed to drop the claim if they would drop the charges. The mayor kept threatening to have him locked up again for no valid reason if he didn't. But, bc this whole town and Parish is so corrupt, no one will do anything about it. He uses cops as thugs to intimidate people and extort $ from them. City roads are all a complete mess-- pot holes, repairs not fixed for years-- etc. Meanwhile the mayor is driving a brand new Mercedes he got with taxpayer $$$.

Sounds just like those greaseball mayors back in Coronado... shysters, the lot. 😒

Here's my rant:

My incense machine I use for aromatherapy broke when I overloaded it on a good day, a celebration day. On the plus side the copal blanco, (which can be any kind of white tree resin) was the kind I needed and I know where to get it cheap now, the kind that has therapeutic benefits, was supposed to get my paycheck today and it's 20% smaller than usual. I barely have enough to buy what I need and treating myself on friday as I usually do for getting through a week suddenly became a want.

On the good news, I'm loving the new AI chatbots, they're neat.

Dad is always complaining about pain and the conditions he lives in I wish I could afford something better. I can put a soda can down here, (in CO) and leave it till tomorrow, remember it, and drink. Back when I lived with him, I couldn't leave the damn thing 2 seconds without roaches crawling into it. He would joke that they are an "accidental protein source." I cried in the shower of the hotel when I came back to CO to finally be clean. I bought him a shower but he never got it working.

I had a lot of expenses I wish I didn't have to forego until next month, I can't buy Xmas presents yet, I like to buy them early so I have money still around the next time. I guess I can add my broken incense thing to the package for dad and he can use it for parts in case something happens to his. I guess this is the kick in the ass I need to buy a better one.

This one looks neat.

Last edited:
dademoss, that would annoy me too. We don't have to put up with the sounds of the chainsaws too often out here. The timber company only cuts once every several years. The beavers being faster gave me a chuckle though. Probably right though. We have some slumlords in town as well. I remember when a house in town (belonging to a slumlord) caught on fire. The slumlord had siding put directly over the burned wood without any house wrap or doing other repairs. And there was no plywood under a roof that was being put up on another of his properties.

So, it turns out it wasn't just the tap water coming up because of the city workers' screwup. Raw sewage is now bubbling up & making the whole street stink. City still says "we are working on it" but again, not a single worker has been out to touch it. My friend called the EPA to report it & they are coming out later today to take a look and tell the city to fix it asap. Hope they don't tell the mayor who called them because this creep will absolutely retaliate. Fairly certain the water company will charge all of the customers on the road extra to make up for the lost water (they always do even though it was before the meters).

AMC, that does look like a neat incense burner.

Fedex and UPS can't seem to get their heads out of their you know what's and figure out how to properly deliver to us! Yet another package that says delivered and yet is nowhere to be found! We're rural and way down past several other houses on our road so porch pirates are not likely, that plus the the number of big mean dogs... We even put a very clearly marked box at the front of the property for them in case is was just laziness keeping them from delivering correctly, but noooo it too damn hard to use their brain and read the damn signs😡

Well, I thought I would help the little Girl Scouts by buying a few boxes of Girl Scout cookies. I received the order last night, and realized I had spent $65 on these cookies. I opened a few of the packages, and saw there are 15 cookies in a $5 box. That is $.33 cents a piece for really horrible cookies. Anybody want a box?
I find that the older I get, the easier it is to resist temptation.

Or maybe it's just the price of chocolate brownies at the grocery store.

ABR, I feel you on that. They had to send a photo of where they left my package last time as "proof" when I complained that it hadn't been delivered. Only reason they delivered it was bc I called the seller to light a fire under their arses to get them to deliver. I wonder if you can ask them for photos of where they left it. They kept leaving mine in other people's yards for awhile. At least I no longer have a neighbor who deliberately intercepts my packages anymore. I hope you get your packages.

The EPA came out and made the city seal up the hole in the road. Probably would have been left like that for months or longer if EPA hadn't come along. Pretty certain the mayor will try to find some way to retaliate against my friend for it if it cost any $ to fix the problem. So, I'll be watching for that.

ABR, I feel you on that. They had to send a photo of where they left my package last time as "proof" when I complained that it hadn't been delivered. Only reason they delivered it was bc I called the seller to light a fire under their arses to get them to deliver. I wonder if you can ask them for photos of where they left it. They kept leaving mine in other people's yards for awhile. At least I no longer have a neighbor who deliberately intercepts my packages anymore. I hope you get your packages.

The EPA came out and made the city seal up the hole in the road. Probably would have been left like that for months or longer if EPA hadn't come along. Pretty certain the mayor will try to find some way to retaliate against my friend for it if it cost any $ to fix the problem. So, I'll be watching for that.
Took awhile but I finally got thru to someone with local Fedex and they sent a pic of the map and the package delivered. I was like yes that map shows my gate but the garage that the dumba$$ driver left it in was nowhere near my gate :huh:

Years ago I sent my Son a Christmas present. He didn't get it but FedEx said they delivered it.
He found it on the back deck buried under a foot of snow.
My Grandson had his laptop delivered to a vacant abandon house 2 streets from him and he never saw it again.
FedEx did replace it.
The driver did admit he misdelivered the package.
The driver did get fired. I think he was stealing packages.
My mail carrier delivered my security system to the neighbors but the neighbor claimed they never saw it.

I finally bought a printer. After years of mooching off my neighbors or using the machine at staples. Bought a budget friendly canon laser monochromatic.

I researched it quite a bit because I know well what a pita printers can be. Thought I had the set up variables worked out before I bought. Was I wrong!

Connecting to WiFi was easy and worked first time. But printing from mobile devices was a real bear!

Long story short; five hours and fifteen different apps later, I finally found an app that works. For both my Android phone and tablet. Although you should know that it worked the first time with my phone, but I had to keep retrying to recognize the printer from my tablet. On the third try it worked! Noko print. Hallelujah!
I have never printed from a mobile device. I'll bet that has a learning curve!

My frustration for missing deliveries and hay customers getting lost is Google maps. My first thought was okay, probably they just don't know that their map is wrong. I expect that they have some kinda periodic review? After all, the app on my phone gets updated with a upgrade that doesn't work as well as the previous version. And they call it "progress"?

But I digress to the original rant; I started to notify them of their error. Nothing happened. Okay, try again. Nothing. Okay, maybe my choice of plain English is too complicated? So I dumbed down the next message to the best of my intellectual ability! Nothing.

I gave up and started to apply more effort to what I can control. I've come to expect missed deliveries and pay close attention to my email around the timing. As for new customers, I always warn them first " Google maps will get you lost. So don't make the wrong turn at this point... "

Micro rant: Listening to DW's phone as she sits on hold for a half hour as the robot screams: "Your Call is Very Important to Us!"
If her call was 'very important', why not hire somebody to answer the damphone! gaah

I had a pkg listed as delivered a couple weeks ago. It was a big order, 20+ items with half dozen different delivery dates. I didn't realize it was missing for a week. I notified the vendor. It showed up the next day. What? a $10 item shipped overnight express? Or just over looked on a shelf by the local brown truck co. Oops!

----------------------------

Ever lose a cd? I have one missing, realized it in January. I have copies of it on my pc, just can't find the cd. I finally made a new backup of all my music files last week. I backed up fresh copies of all my cd's, but one. :(

The fluffy black kitten that I wanted to bring home was killed by a German Shepherd that belongs to a local judge. It went into my friend's yard to kill the poor thing. The pound won't pick the dog up because of who the owner is. It's not the first time it has killed people's pets. Now I wish I'd brought the poor baby home.

Also, my mother was griping up a storm about not being able to login to OPM. She asked me to look into it on my computer. I discovered she didn't have an account setup with her e-mail so I set one up for her. I told her about it later and she started screaming at me about identity theft and that I was a criminal blah blah blah. I reminded her that she's opened my mail on more than one occasion. She eventually calmed down and apologized (which is very rare for her). Hopefully she'll get her nose out of her games long enough to actually do something to get her 1099 forms.

Had bad fatigue the past few days. Feels like I'm not getting enough oxygen even though my breathing is fine.

Latest posts

Back