Rant for the Day (keep it clean)

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
….I also noticed in the 'upgraded' stores, there are video cameras everywhere! Every single isle. Surveilance state.....here we come.
…. I didn't wear the face diaper during Covid, but damn......I'm considering it now. I'm really getting tired of my privacy getting trampled on at every turn. I loathe getting my picture taken.....always have. Plus, I can see where this is leading and I don't like it one bit.
Start videoing in the public accessible area of a municipal town hall and in all likely hood cops will come pouring out of the walls telling you it’s illegal to video. Then point at the video cameras they have recording the public and ask them why are they violating the “law”?

That’s when hoodies and baseball caps become useful…so I’m told.

Last edited:
I bought some eye of round and jerky seasoning to make beef jerky with, and my 3 foot by 2.5 foot box containing my dehydrator vanished off the face of the earth and noone in the house knows what happened to it. I left it with my pile of things and when I came back for it, IT WASN'T THERE. THAT THING COST ME OVER 3OO!

But I finally ordered a replacement for my incense burner, it arrives sunday.

I bought some eye of round and jerky seasoning to make beef jerky with, and my 3 foot by 2.5 foot box containing my dehydrator vanished off the face of the earth and noone in the house knows what happened to it. I left it with my pile of things and when I came back for it, IT WASN'T THERE. THAT THING COST ME OVER 3OO!

Someone knows☹️

There are only 2 people with opposable thumbs in our house.. It's a peaceful coexistence, under a policy of Mutual Assured Destruction should something go missing. (I don't touch her 💩 ,she doesn't touch my 💩). You want something, Ask.

No idea what kind it was or when you left it, but I'd look on Craigslist and Offerup. You might find it there. I'd even be willing to help be a decoy, looking to buy it from one of your roommates.

I'm sure there were no ill intentions, I think someone put it away and forgot about it.

I hate when stuff goes missing. Happens here all the damn time. Things vanish.

My fatigue hit me pretty hard. I had to drive to Leesville to get something I ordered from Lowes last month that was lost in Hutchins TX since the 31st. ETA was the 12th but I needed them before that. I called to cancel the order as it wouldn't arrive on time. I saw that they just now sent it to Dallas. Still a state away. I think they must have misplaced it for awhile. If it does arrive sometime next week I will take it up to my nearest Lowes to return it and say that I already picked it up in person at another store bc it took too long. I will have to wait for a refund. The CS on the phone said I would get one. I said that I couldn't return it yet bc it hadn't arrived and I didn't expect it would actually arrive given it had been stuck in the same place so long.

Sir Hammington is still missing. I think the neighbor's dogs got him. :-(

Snugglebum is continuing to be a massive jerk in his absence.

My brother won't even feed them or refill their water anymore. So I'm stuck taking care of my mother, cleaning up after my brother, and taking full care of all of the cats. He did say he's going to try to get one of them neutered this week. We'll see if he follows through.

He's supposed to possibly have toe surgery tomorrow but his blood sugar might be too high for them to do the procedure. He has not done anything to cut back on his sugar intake.

Candy + 9 year old = banshee.

The Princess was warned but tested the theory.

She loaded up a massive of plastic eggs with assorted sugar things. The girls collected big piles but Eden (the younger 9 years) over indulged.

Banshee!!!!!!

Impossible to get her to lay down let alone sleep.

She got better.

Ben

Three months ago I discussed with the wife how I was thinking about running for a company Board position. A month ago updated the wife that I had been nominated so I will be running. Election is the last Saturday of next week at the Company’s annual stockholders meeting.

Oldest daughter and grandchild is flying in for a week visit (YEA!). Since daughter is also a Stockholder I thought she might want go with me to stockholders meeting and wife will be more then happy to watch grandchild (Wife doesn’t want to attend with me). Easter Sunday I mention the idea to the wife. Wife tells me daughter can’t attend with me because that is when in-laws are invited to come to see the grandchild and daughter. First I heard of it.

Monday I return mail the RSVP how many (1, me) will be attending the noon meal at the stockholders meeting. Told the wife I had done so.

Tuesday evening. I’m told in-laws aren’t coming at noon but now it’s for supper. A DIL forgot she getting her hair done at noon. Wife thinks daughter could just show up with me, there’s always extra meals. I ask if a bride appreciates it when more people show at the reception than RSVP. I get a stare and no answer.

After spending a significant amount of time writing a statement of work, estimating costs etc. for a project at work. I was told today that somehow it was not on the budget. Oh well all the contractors were booked for the year anyway. So I guess in a way I am a year ahead of schedule.

After spending a significant amount of time writing a statement of work, estimating costs etc. for a project at work. I was told today that somehow it was not on the budget. Oh well all the contractors were booked for the year anyway. So I guess in a way I am a year ahead of schedule.
Oh Grrrr! You have awakened the sleeping beast!
I remember spending over an hour doing detailed repair estimates to repair critical pieces of equipment only to hear a very well-dressed overpaid person say:
"Well we absolutely need you to fix that machine as soon as possible.... but we weren't looking to spend that much :(".
I can't repeat what I said, but his chewing-gum fell out of his mouth :oops:.
I probably was doing the 'triple eye-roll' decades before @Pearl copyrighted it.:)

Crap like that happens way to often. Frustrating aint it?

My brother's toe surgery went well. His boss forgot that he told her a month ago he was having it and she put him on the schedule. After he explained his predicament in the management chat, she rearranged it to give him the whole week off and apologized to him.

Sir Hammington is still missing.

And I know someone here mentioned the HP printers but our old printer got so full of roaches it won't work anymore. The ink in it keeps drying up when not in use. I grabbed the cheapest printer I could find in stock at Walmart and it was an HP. The printer itself isn't the problem, although it is not easy to get the power plug to fit tight. The trays on it feel flimsy. But the absolute worst is the ink situation. I got on to a cs chat with one of their agents. Took over 5min for them to respond each time. They didn't even respond to all of the questions. Told me my printer would have to be on permanently and ALWAYS connected to the internet to "monitor" the ink levels if I wanted to get the ink plan or use the 6 months "free" ink. Oh, did I mention you HAVE to login online to even print something wirelessly? I was told that if I didn't want to have to login I'd have to connect it via usb cable (which did NOT come with the printer) to a device to print and that is the only workaround for their bs. I told them my internet is unstable and they legit told me I'd just have to get better internet to use the printer the way I want. I told them that wasn't happening as that was the best internet available to me. Then, as if to make my point, the internet crapped out during the chat. But it was after they told me that if I signed up for one of their pay for ink per month bs plans that they would literally block me from printing more than the allotted amount of pages per month. I can not use the type of language I want to use on here to express my feelings on this matter. So, if I got stuck on their subscription bs thing and even if I provided my own ink, they would stop me from using it and printing more than x pages. If I wanted to print more I'd have to pay extra. Who the hell came up with this idea? I want to slap them with a sack of ink cartridges. Oh, their instructions also didn't show the correct orientation of the cartridges to put them in so it took a bit to figure that out.

I FINALLY got Mom's taxes printed, but I had to install extra software on her computer to do it. After my brother's taxes are printed I will most likely box this thing up and take it back to the store and say it doesn't work as advertised & I'm not going to agree to let them spy on my printing usage to be able to print stuff.

Did I mention that while it was refusing to print anything from Mom's computer, my cat stepped on a button that made it print out a wifi guide? So, if I had the limited plan, my cat could have used up one of my pages. And what about pages that got messed up or didn't print properly?

I couldn't even figure out how to register the protection plan I bought and there was no "free trial" option when I went to sign up for the ink thing (before I found out about the squelching of use). Only option was to agree to pay. Not happening. I hope they get sued for false advertising in a class action lawsuit and have to change their policies.

Also, I'm still having bad fatigue and I think I have an ear infection in my left ear.

Defective equipment. Got home late this evening to find almost all of my chicks dead or dying. The waterer had leaked all out and they got dehydrated and overheated. It was full when I left this morning. I'm down to 4 out of 15 chicks and those still may not survive 😢

Last week I called the only gravel place around. I said I need to order 24 yards of gravel. He says oh I can't get to that today. I said I need it next Friday. He said oh ok call me in the middle of the week. I said why I am telling you now? He said I can't remember that far out. I thought sure let me the customer go out of my way for you. I wondered if he had heard of the invention of calendars? So I call him today and ordered the gravel. He said when do you need it. I replied Friday morning. Then I asked if he had an idea when he would deliver it. He said no he would call before he leaves just make sure I answer the phone or I won't get it. This guy us the only game in town and he acts like it. A hole.

Only one survived the night. I'm going to call around to the feed stores today to see if any have chicks. I want to get a few so he's not alone. My sister is going to hatch another batch for me. And I'm sure as HEdoublehockeysticks going to going to get my money back for the defective waterer :mad:
The Waterer, is it the vacuum type? Mine last about two years before the thin China galvanizing allowed pinhole leak. Pinhole allowed air in which allowed the water to drain out. Hens were mad. Took me two fillings to figure out what was happening.

For chicks I used a water that has a Mason jar for the water. Worked like a charm.

Screenshot 2023-04-13 at 7.31.06 AM.png

Defective equipment. Got home late this evening to find almost all of my chicks dead or dying. The waterer had leaked all out and they got dehydrated and overheated. It was full when I left this morning. I'm down to 4 out of 15 chicks and those still may not survive 😢
So sorry , that's sad. We had our chicks eaten by rats the second year we were here. All of them. Now they are covered with window screens and concrete blocks on those. Things happen

Then I asked if he had an idea when he would deliver it. He said no he would call before he leaves just make sure I answer the phone or I won't get it. This guy us the only game in town and he acts like it. A hole.
That is exactly what the former fire wood guy's wife did to us! That psycho!
Thankfully we found someone else.
Try one in the next town. No sense doing business with people that think they are doing you a huge favor by selling you stuff

The Waterer, is it the vacuum type? Mine last about two years before the thin China galvanizing allowed pinhole leak. Pinhole allowed air in which allowed the water to drain out. Hens were mad. Took me two fillings to figure out what was happening.

For chicks I used a water that has a Mason jar for the water. Worked like a charm.

View attachment 107043
Yes. It's brand new plastic one from TSC and was just going to be for a few days til the better one that I ordered arrived.

Last week I called the only gravel place around. I said I need to order 24 yards of gravel. He says oh I can't get to that today. I said I need it next Friday. He said oh ok call me in the middle of the week. I said why I am telling you now? He said I can't remember that far out. I thought sure let me the customer go out of my way for you. I wondered if he had heard of the invention of calendars? So I call him today and ordered the gravel. He said when do you need it. I replied Friday morning. Then I asked if he had an idea when he would deliver it. He said no he would call before he leaves just make sure I answer the phone or I won't get it. This guy us the only game in town and he acts like it. A hole.
I had a similar experience. I need 20 tons of fill for a garage I was building. It was like pulling teeth to get the local guy to delver it. The only reason I tolerated him was his pricing. After I had the garage built he stopped in and asked me if he had ever billed me? No he hadn't. Then he asked me if I remembered how many tons and what price he had given me. Yep and if he didn't give me a bill then and there he would have a hard time reclaiming the fill that was now under concrete. He did and I paid him. Nice guy but the money side if his business wasn't his forte.

View attachment 107043
Where did you find that watered at. Thats perfect for chick's. I need one yesterday

Businesses that don't have their crap together is one of my pet peeves. Especially when they tell you they don't know know when they will come out. The guy saying to call back bc he can't remember? WTH? Seriously, the dude can get a day planner or something! How does one even run business if they can't place orders ahead of time? Sounds like the yokels in these parts.

ABR, I'm so sorry about the poor chicks. I would be mad as hell about that. TSC sells chicks sometimes so maybe you can demand some replacements bc the item they sold you was defective. Those poor bitties! They are such fragile adorable little things.

I hope the mason jar waterer works for you, Backpacker.

Amish, the 2 gallon buckets sound like a good idea. We had a pond and it rarely ever got below freezing so the older chickens drank from that. Sadly, the tenants did something to the pond to break the water seal so when we came back it was dried up. They'd also tossed our brooder boxes away and converted our chicken house to a marijuana drying shed.

I had to pour bleach down the condensate line and change the filters to get my AC to cool. Went to change the one in my brother's room & there were plastic bottles and bags sticking to it and almost completely covering it. Every time he leaves his room, he kicks more trash out into the hallway. I'm going to have to go in there with a broom & extra large dustpan and start sweeping up bags & empty bottles. Will probably fill multiple 55gallon contractor bags. That room is a hazard and it doesn't help the airflow situation in the house. One of the intake vents is in there for some reason.

Fatigue is still hitting and I've not been waking up until after 2pm the last few days.

Latest posts

Back