Rant for the Day (keep it clean)

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hate new technology period. Spent an hour today looking for the Iphone apple id and password so I could download an app I need for the trip. Now next project is resetting the Ryanair password ....uggh!!!! I wonder if I could just use the same exact password for everything
I let my son set up my new computer ( still using the old one, it needs a new battery so I have to have it plugged in all the time) , there was no getting around a password, it also wanted me to stay logged into Microsoft, which took some doing to get out of

Took my Ryobi electric pruners to Home Depot to get them replaced because they broke. Guy said i need to bring in the entire set (2 chargers, 2 batteries, 2 cutters, and 3 extension poles, all back to get a replacement. I said, "Why the headache? Just replace like for like! I said i could just buy a new one ($150) toss the broken one in the box and return it, which isn't honest, but he declined. While talking, a black guy walks in, steals a tool box, and runs out the entrance, and the clerk just watched and kept talking to me. I swear, i should have just walked in, stole a new set, and walked out! Instead, spent an hour on the phone with Ryobi, got a shipping label, boxed up the cutter, drove to Fedex, and shipped it. Should get a new set in 3 weeks.
you wouldn't get away with it ( assuming your not black)

Rant #2 for today (I'm on a roll) - Why do Coloradans get all panicky when the news says it's going to snow in Spring? I mean, we have snow storms all winter around here and nobody seems to care. But when it's Spring, and a few months after the last snow storm, people just go bazonkers. I went to the grocery store today to get some Salmon to cook for dinner (yeah, I plan to be outside grilling during our upcoming snow storm). The store was packed. People going out of their minds because the TV said we might get 6 to 10 inches of snow over the next two days. That's not much at all really, the roads are not paralyzed by that amount - plows come out quickly for people with rear wheel drive cars and two inches of ground clearance (yeah, there are actually people with vehicles like that who live here). Even if we do get 6 to 10 inches, it's been so warm here recently (mid-60's mostly) it's going to melt very quickly. Why the panic?

So finally start driving tomorrow for two whole days before spring break starts. I went with another driver to fetch Sally's bus from her farm. We then went out to figure out the run.

They sure have some dicey back roads here. Due to slides, many are down to one narrow lane in places, with a drop off into a river. This run has a slide area like that before a single lane bridge. You have stop and look across the legs of a wide u with the bridge at the curved part and trees partially blocking the view. The idea is to spot for loģging trucks coming the other way. There isn't room for two vehicles and someone would have to back up along the drop off to the river on a twisty road.

I see that CA is trying to initiate income based Utility rates, so they can tax anyone who is not on welfare to pay for their green power dreams. An additional (on top of usage charges) Flat (income based) utility rate starting a $180 per year and increasing to over $1000 per year for anyone making over $180K/ year.... in CA, yep, that will be popular with the voters....

Clem wrote.... They sure have some dicey back roads here.
==
Is that steel deck, one lane bridge still there down by Hope (?)... Or somewhere else along the Frasier ??
Where I am at is a two day drive to Hope. This bridge is over the Skeena River.

https://www.foxnews.com/world/north...worlds-most-powerful-tank-live-fire-exercises

Kim expressed "great satisfaction" with "the world’s most powerful" tank, which he drove himself during a "training match" that explored the combat capabilities of tank crews

And just what is North Korea going to do with tanks? They share a border with South Korea, China and maybe a little bitty small line with Russia(?) They aren't going to drive into China and attack. Driving a battalion of tanks into Russia is probably a no-no that even their madman leader could comprehend. I dare say they wouldn't make it very far into South Korea - where they'd be blown to bits. If they did, by some miracle, make it into South Korea, there's nowhere else to go - unless they plan to drive their tanks into the ocean.

Maybe Russia would buy the tanks from them? But by the time they transported the tanks from the North Korean side of Russia over to where they might do some good on the western side, I'm afraid those North Korean tanks would probably have reached end-of-life and fallen apart.

Earlier this month I made an extra payment on a loan that I had. I made the payment from the loan's site using a direct transfer. The funds were removed from the my account within a day but not credited to the loan for a full 7 days... So where did the money go in between the withdraw and the deposit. My bet is Vegas... but the Idea of being charged interest on it for five days after they had taken it is really just annoying....

Earlier this month I made an extra payment on a loan that I had. I made the payment from the loan's site using a direct transfer. The funds were removed from the my account within a day but not credited to the loan for a full 7 days... So where did the money go in between the withdraw and the deposit. My bet is Vegas... but the Idea of being charged interest on it for five days after they had taken it is really just annoying....
Banks that offer everyone "Free Checking" only make money by something called: 'playing the float'.
All funds going in or out of accounts goes thru their 'slush-fund'.
When you receive an electronic payment that takes 300ms to occur, it will show as 'pending' for 1 or 2 days before actually making it into your account.
The same with outgoing payments. Depending on how big they are, they instantly go out of your account into the slush fund, but aren't actually sent for days.
Since this is the rant thread, the MIL received a huge life insurance payment when FIL passed and it was still 'pending' a week later.:mad:
Summon the beast!👹
I went down to the bank with her:waiting:, and the money was in her account within minutes.
The larger the amount, the longer they will keep it in their 'slush-fund'.

The funds were removed from the my account within a day but not credited to the loan for a full 7 days... So where did the money go in between the withdraw and the deposit.
The money was at the new destination near-immediately. But they just weren't going to give your access/credit for it until they were sure it wasn't going to get taken away from them because of fraud, error, etc. Or, they could do account updates in batch mode and you had to wait until the next batch was processed. Or Heaven forbid, they could be relying on humans that are probably hungover and have an IQ of 80 keying in the transfer details.

Any of the above could cost you a few extra days of interest. Since that's to your loan companies benefit, they're probably in no hurry to update or improve their systems.

Rant #2 for today (I'm on a roll) - Why do Coloradans get all panicky when the news says it's going to snow in Spring? I mean, we have snow storms all winter around here and nobody seems to care. But when it's Spring, and a few months after the last snow storm, people just go bazonkers. I went to the grocery store today to get some Salmon to cook for dinner (yeah, I plan to be outside grilling during our upcoming snow storm). The store was packed. People going out of their minds because the TV said we might get 6 to 10 inches of snow over the next two days. That's not much at all really, the roads are not paralyzed by that amount - plows come out quickly for people with rear wheel drive cars and two inches of ground clearance (yeah, there are actually people with vehicles like that who live here). Even if we do get 6 to 10 inches, it's been so warm here recently (mid-60's mostly) it's going to melt very quickly. Why the panic?
I believe that there a few factors involved in this.

A few years ago we had another BIG storm, but the news had played it down. Some how they had been told not to scare and alarm people. Evidently they didn't alarm people enough. After the storm hit, what was said was that if people new how bad it was going to be, they would have been better prepared for it.

Another factor is that some people only have a day or two days worth of food at home. I know people who shop almost every day for the food they are going to eat. I'd bet you that there are few frozen pizza's to be had in the metro area stores right now. If you think of families with children, the children go to school and normally eat lunch there, and sometimes breakfast.

Some people shop once a week. Someone I know who works in a grocery store told me that Sunday is by far their busiest day. If we thought we might be snowed in on our typical shopping day, we might want to plan ahead a little. Of course, that is if you are not someone who typically has more food on hand like the typical prepper.

The news does this. They struggle to be accurate with predictions. It is better for people to go to the store and buy more food than they will need than to not have enough.

We had a big storm spring 2003. After I dug my car out (took a couple days) and drove to the grocery store, there was one carton of milk to be had and it was not a kind of milk that I normally purchase. I didn't care. I wanted milk.

Remember the toilet paper shortage of 2020. Most people are probably over that, but I'd bet some people will never get over it and will be changed a little to shop for extras, even if they are not into prepping.

You're not the only hillbilly, Cascadian. My mother in law just called, she's a 91 yr old Californian. She was wondering if I was feeling better, which was sweet of her. She asked what I did today, and I mentioned uppotting seedlings, and mentioned we had 11 new chicks, so spring is officially here in my brain. She asked where they came from. Ha Ha. Our chicks stay indoors till they can do without a heat lamp. Then they graduate to the milkhouse, and from there, in the divided area in the chicken coops till they're big. Filled up the incubator again for round number two.

The money was at the new destination near-immediately. But they just weren't going to give your access/credit for it until they were sure it wasn't going to get taken away from them because of fraud, error, etc. Or, they could do account updates in batch mode and you had to wait until the next batch was processed. Or Heaven forbid, they could be relying on humans that are probably hungover and have an IQ of 80 keying in the transfer details.

Any of the above could cost you a few extra days of interest. Since that's to your loan companies benefit, they're probably in no hurry to update or improve their systems.
Reminds me of a situation i got into once.in 1998, I took care of the roommate of my aunt, along with my aunt. Both were widows with no surviving family members.

When my aunt died, the roommate asked me to take care of her finances for her.

I worked on her house, set her up in an old folks home, and held her hand as she passed. She gave me her entire estate. I began closing her accounts, and came across one account, high in the 6 figures. The bank (on the east coast) asked if i wanted the $ send via express guaranteed delivery, but darn, it was $12! I told them to just mail the check to me. 2 weeks later, I was notified that their USPS truck was struck by a train, and all the mail, along with the driver, burnt up.

Guess what...the check was in that truck. It took 2 months to clear that snafu up, just because i didn't want to spend $12!

Yesterday afternoon, I went to my car and the suction cup for my car camera was dangling. I went to Home Depot, and bought some heavy duty, two sided tape. It is suppose to hold 24 pounds, which I figured would work great for this 3 ounce camera mounted to my windshield. I went out this morning, and the camera is once again dangling from the windshield. I just went to the manufacturer and purchased a permanent mount bracket, since the camera will never be removed.

My rant is about insurance companies and auto manufactures.
I called my insurance agent today to make sure I'm all squared away for our trip.
I am good there.
I learned my Granddaughter is listed on my car policy.
She doesn't live with us and has her own insurance.
No where on the policy does it list her as a driver but I printed out my insurance cards and there she was.
She was on my policy for a few years but I called and took her off, I thought.
It cost me $38 a month for no reason. They are looking into it but she is differently off now.
This has been going on since 2009. $38 a month for 15 years. Around $7,000 so it's not a little deal.
I'm not holding my breath till I get that back.
The other thing I found out is the auto manufactures are monitoring driving habits and they send that information to the insurance companies and they can use that information to set you insurance price or to even cancel you.
So our cars are spying on us and using our driving habits against us.
How is that even legal?
My 2015 F150 and my wife's 2016 Fiat are too old so they aren't connected. I think.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a60175396/connected-cars-driver-data-tracking-insurance/

Havasu, they don't pay the associates enough to care about shoplifters. Also, the associates aren't supposed to confront shoplifters, that is for asset protection to handle, and even then their methods vary. My best friend used to work in asset protection and it wasn't always safe to confront people. He got slammed into a shelf and another person hit him in the head with a stolen shovel. He quiet the AP job after that last incident.

Sonya, where I live, they let the white people get away with stealing but they stop and harass black people just for existing. But, my area is very racist still.

Clem, that whole bus driving situation sounds very frustrating. Hope Sally will be OK.

We used to keep chicks and the brooder box in our front room. Cute little things.

backlash, the insurance thing reminds me that I was told the cop who pulled me over the other day ticketed someone for not having insurance (even though he had a current card & was paid up) because the computer system showed his insurance had lapsed for a few days a few months ago when it was renewed). Dude had already paid the fine at DMV for the lapse.

Apparently the cop who pulled me over has written 126 tickets in 10 days and people are livid about him. Especially since he's either lying or is just plain wrong. I went back to the area where he claimed I was speeding and noted that the school zone only covers a single intersection. Sign is right before the traffic light/entering the intersection and ends immediately after. So his claims of the boundaries for the school zone (which he claimed started at the 40mph sign). I was going a little under 45mp before I saw the 40mph sign. I then slowed to 40mph and when I saw the school zone sign I slowed down more and then had to get close enough to read the times for the school zone speed limit (which does not give sufficient time to slow down from 40 to 25 without braking). But I was going 25mph when I went through the school zone. Never went above 45 so the cop claiming I was going 48 was absolute BS. Don't know if his radar was wrong, if he clocked the person who zoomed past me and disappeared out of view while I was in the center turn lane, or if he was just lying. Anyway, people on FB are saying they want to lynch this cop. I think he's new and overzealous and hope he will calm down a bit soon.

Meanwhile, can't seem to get rid of the damn roaches and they dance all over the wet Zevo on surfaces. So that stuff isn't working. Traps aren't working. Peppermint oil only works for a short time and it seems like they are becoming resistant to it. Mom continues to throw food stuff in trash in the living room and keeps chucking empty bottles and other trash over to the side of the room with the TV. I will have to get pictures-- it's piled up so high. I try to keep up but ugh. My brother promised to clean it up but never did. I have several trash bags that need to be hauled out that he was supposed to take out but I'm going to have to do it. Was going to do that today but we had thunderstorms all day.

To make things worse, the AC isn't working. Internal fan seems to be short-cycling. I hear the air blowing and then it stops within a few seconds. Then starts up again only to stop. Never stays on more than 7 seconds it seems. I checked the filters (newly replaced so they are good), poured bleach down the condensate line, turned the breaker off, cycled through off/cool/auto, etc on the thermostat. Turned AC Off and tried just the fan in circulate. Fan won't stay on.

And one of my cats has a large lump on her chest. Could be a cyst but I'm worried it might be cancer because it feels like a hard lump. She's the sweetest kitty and I don't want to lose her.

I feel fat today.
I'm probably not fat, but I feel fat.
Puffy.
Will have to exercise, meals(diet) okay from Doctor.
Walked a mile yesterday just puttering around the house.
Some days when the mother ship brings you back you just don't quite feel right.

Latest posts

Back