Rant for the Day (keep it clean)

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My son is a salesman at Mattress Firm. I just had to throw that in here. 🤷‍♀️
They were ok, but just as a new car salesman, they say if you don't like something, just call within 30 days, and they would replace it for you. What they failed to tell me, when i complained a week after delivery, was this was just for the mattress, and did not include the new, motorized box spring that i would have to purchase... for yet another $1000 bucks.

My statin and BP meds has run out...so...no problem......right? The pharmacy that has my scrips was closed...Good Friday. (How is that day, "good", anyway???) I went to the public hospital and they gave me four pills of each...after three and a half hours. My poor pooch was waiting for me in the pickup......

Ugh, I hate when you can't get your meds bc they are closed.

Mom's replacement dexcom sensor was delivered-- on the grass a few inches from the sidewalk about a foot away from a rear tire of my truck. Fedex again.

I think I forgot to mention the frustration I had with the local place that is pretending to be an H&R tax preparation place. I say pretending because I took Mom in there and while I was trying to explain that we wanted them to do her taxes, a man across the room interrupted and started saying "nope nope nope". the woman behind the counter when we walked in was sneering at us. She said he was the owner. He then said "I know it *says* H&R Block on the outside, but we're not actually affiliated." He then went on to tell me that if we used the H&R Block software last year, that they wouldn't help us. The woman had a really snooty look and she was laughing at us when we walked out. No idea WTH her problem was. Dude also said they are an "accounting firm". Not sure if they are a money laundering front or what. Maybe they just misunderstood what we wanted, but the guy wouldn't let me talk before he interrupted.

On the upside, I did manage to retrieve Mom's military (DFAS) 1099r and the SSA 1099r. Had to get a guy on the phone with the login site to help. He told me which login to use, what I'd need, etc. So, I got that info. Can't use that id.gov login for the federal annuity thing though. Will need to wait 24hrs for it to delete the old account and create a brand new one. Password expires every 150 days and it is a complete pita to mess with that site. I had to go to the pharmacy bc I was out of Metformin and asked Mom to make sure to get the info on the banks she still needed info from. There are 2 or 3 of them she needs the info from and she didn't bother to do it while I was gone.

At least I'm doing better than my brother today. He's been throwing up.

I went to Lowe's yesterday. The pimple-faced clerk says if you were a veteran, I could give you 5% off.

I mentioned I was only in law enforcement for 25 ******* years, and fought the wars on the city streets for 25 years. I've been shot at several times, fought suspects almost daily, I was hospitalized 11 times, had 9 operations due to injuries, and have scars which will remain with me for the rest of my life, not just the 4 years when I was enlisted.

He said, "Sorry, you don't qualify for a discount."

I mumbled a nasty expletive as I walked away.

More bus company drama.

I was asked to start my original route assignment on Monday. No problem. Then comes, can you shuttle a bus on Monday? Sure, who do I meet and where/what time and do I start the run on Tuesday now that I am shuttling? Meet Eddie at 12 pm at the yard. No mention of the route. I deduct that the route is off the books because the shuttling is a 3 hr round trip just driving.

I get to my son's house last night and find an email waiting telling me I am no longer needed to shuttle on Monday but could I pick up the bus monitor and do a training run today. Sure. Knowing at this point they can't find their patooty with both hands, I go check the bus yard. No busses. I email back that I can't do the training run without a bus. They email me that the busses will be there sometime in the afternoon, but please stop bothering (her) because it's her weekend.:rolleyes:

I call the monitor and tell her to carry on with her life and I will call her if/when the busses arrive and we would work something out for the training run before Monday. She wants the hours or I would just forget about it. It isn't rocket science.

I just checked the email this morning and they are sorry for the confusion but could I shuttle a bus on Monday. 😵‍💫

I send a message back agreeing stating I would meet Ed at the yard 12 pm same as before and that I assume I will be starting the run on Tuesday because I still don't have a bus assignment and it won't fit in with the shuttling.

I also apologized for messing up her weekend.😚

Ok, got one. Menfolk were cleaning the ditch like we have for the last twenty years. A newish neighbor (last three years)who has lived in the place that has 10 feet of the several hundred feet of ditch running on the edge his place comes buzzing out like a hornet yelling at them about killing his “landscaping”. Landscape usually doesn’t include black locust, and Himalayan blackberry, but whatever … It’s been an agreement between us and the ditch rider that we clean the ditch so they don’t come down there with an excavator and make a huge mess on the edges. There’s a 40’ right of way for the ditch on either side of it and the actual ditch runs on our property line. The “landscaping” is about 3 feet into our property line. So technically we own the ground under the ditch and all the thorny crappy “landscaping” hanging over it is fair game to trim back. First time in three years since he bought the place I’ve even seen him past his yard an acre away much less back along the ditch. Tried to explain we were just cleaning the leaves in the ditch on our side of the line but he was all worked up so hubby said fine, we will just let the ditch company clean it. Jokes on him, the spoils side of the ditch is on his side so his “landscaping” is going to be toast. Since the ditch enters a pipe right there, it’s one of the most important sections to keep clean. I just can’t get past how freaking nasty he was being and acting like a petulant little boy. He was threatening to call the sheriff. My husband told him just to wait till after lunch when one of them was stoping by to pick something up and he could talk to him then since he probably had more important things to attend to than the possibility of “landscaping “ 3 feet away from our property line possibly being damaged by leaves being raked up in the ditch, on our side. Jerk.

Micro-rant:
Buttons! They started putting them on shirts in the 1600's...
It's 2024 and dambuttons are still on flannel shirts! :(
Is this the best we can do with all of the advances we have in technology today?gaah
With my wonkey thumb it is getting to be a real struggle to get them buttoned.
...And of course, being a proud male, I refuse to ask for help.:mad:
Anybody else struggle with buttons, or is it just me?

Micro-rant:
Is this the best we can do with all of the advances we have in technology today?gaah
Be funner to ask if anyone else was a proud male.

If I could just chime in “Yeah!” for every rant like my daughter does for me with my every complaint! That wasn’t a rant.
But this is: I was told to make plans to do things with my grandchildren instead of giving them Christmas gifts. Now every time that I call or text to make plans - in advance mind you, they’re busy. Has been at least four times. Plus times my daughters have tried. Month in advance, busy. Since Christmas! Guess how many times I’ve seen them since Christmas?

If I could just chime in “Yeah!” for every rant like my daughter does for me with my every complaint! That wasn’t a rant.
But this is: I was told to make plans to do things with my grandchildren instead of giving them Christmas gifts. Now every time that I call or text to make plans - in advance mind you, they’re busy. Has been at least four times. Plus times my daughters have tried. Month in advance, busy. Since Christmas! Guess how many times I’ve seen them since Christmas?
I am sorry you're going through this Patch.
So what I do when this happens; in case for health reasons.
I send them random cards, no reason in the mail.
I don't put gift cards or cash in them.
Just a little card to let them know I am thinking about them.
Memphis got a booklet about hurting people feelings.
Meredith got hair ties in neon colors.
They were cool they glowed in the dark.
Estelle got a book about turtles.
Reign got a new cookie cookbook.
Charlie got a book about farm animals.
Nyx ot a book about tools.
She seems to be fascinated by them.
Every month or I just drop something into the mail.
Nothing big or expensive, just something.
I tend toward books.
Or puzzles.
Just an idea.
Also they think their hot stuff when they get mail.

Mom still hasn't dug up the info I need to contact banks to get the info she needs for her taxes. I was sick yesterday and didn't get anything done. Meanwhile, the diabetes supply place hasn't sent mom's insulin pump yet because they are *still* waiting on the A1C results from the doctor's office. I called and apparently the lab either didn't do the A1C or forgot to send the results and they don't have it to send to the supply place. Which means Mom would have to go get more bloodwork again just for A1C but her insurance only covers her going to get bloodwork every 4 months or something so I don't know if they would approve her getting it done just for A1C. I looked at the paper that had the list of tests she needed done and it said A1C was one of them. So, no insulin pump and she's having trouble keeping her sugar in check with her current insulin. At least the dexcom wakes her up when her sugar is too high or too low though.

Oh, and I was putting a metal drywall anchor in my wall earlier and the wall panel started splintering and the anchor broke. Then it fell and rolled behind the toilet. I had to dig around and find it. Ended up having to get a drill and the drill bit fell out of the drill and rolled and I had to find it (again, next to the toilet). Eventually got it and got the shelf up but it's slightly crooked. Not the worst thing though. At least I now have a shelf.

Although, my a-hole brother ate all of my donuts without asking me. Then he went to work and puked them up. Speaking of which, he puked in the kitchen trash and I need to take that bag out.

In fairness, he was in the kitchen trying to eat some soup I made for him. It was a little too heavy on the ground ginger and he suddenly had to puke. He was right next to the trash can and didn't have time to make it to the sink or to the bathroom.

I thought he ate my last gingerbread cookie and left the empty box sitting on the counter so I didn't know they were all gone. I complained to my mother and she admitted that she ate the last cookie. I told her that eating the cookie was fine, but at least put the box in the trash. The trash can was not that far away.

I want to go to sleep, but I'm waiting for Mom to page me to say its time to set up her new dexcom sensor and remove the old one. It's due to be removed very soon. I just know if I roll over and get comfortable that it will be time.

I just saw my brother emerge from his room so I'm going to go pester him.

I still have my daughter's and grandkids presents for their birthday laying around here. They were supposed to come but didn't ( broken vehicle and then he got sick) . Haven't seen my granddaughter since Thanksgiving.

I am sorry you're going through this Patch.
So what I do when this happens; in case for health reasons.
I send them random cards, no reason in the mail.
I don't put gift cards or cash in them.
Just a little card to let them know I am thinking about them.
Memphis got a booklet about hurting people feelings.
Meredith got hair ties in neon colors.
They were cool they glowed in the dark.
Estelle got a book about turtles.
Reign got a new cookie cookbook.
Charlie got a book about farm animals.
Nyx ot a book about tools.
She seems to be fascinated by them.
Every month or I just drop something into the mail.
Nothing big or expensive, just something.
I tend toward books.
Or puzzles.
Just an idea.
Also they think their hot stuff when they get mail.
That's a lovely idea. Because the nieces/nephews are far away, my sis in law started a bank account for each one when they were born, but told no one. Each year she sent a card, but no money or pressie. She pops whatever she would have given for Christmas or birthday into the account every year, (shes single and worked in finance) .In the year of their 25th birthday she rocks up and hands them an amount, which depending on interest, can be between 4,500 and 5,500. They deal is you don't tell your siblings under 25, so its a surprise. As they are buying cars/leaving college at that time it's a generous and timely gift. We are passed babies in my family but I wish I had done it for my side of the family, instead of buying them gifts.

Micro-rant:
Snaps? I had regular customers come into Tractor Supply for the shirts that had snaps instead of buttons. Not sure if they still sell them, but they must yet be available. Nice, quality shirts.

For the last five years, my cellphone has been a Motorola G7. A mid-range Android phone. It fast charges using what Motorola calls "TurboPower". Which is "QuickCharge3" compatible, so I've been using other brands of QC chargers and powerbanks (Anker, RavPower) and my cellphone fast charges just fine. However, QC chargers are fairly rare when compared to "PD" chargers. And many manufactures hide QC compatibility in their own unique names. e.g., Anker has their proprietary technology called "Power IQ". But they have PIQ, PIQ2, and PIQ3 (maybe even PIQ4 by now). PIQ2 and PIQ3 are QC3 compatible, but plain old PIQ is not. It is hard enough to find out from Anker's own documentation what specific version of PIQ a given charger/powerbank supports (usually you have to find a picture of the device, zoom in, and hope you can read what its label says).

Anyway, for my rant today, I just found out that my cellphone, as old as it is, not only supports QC for fast charging, it also supports PD! Dang! So all these years I have been wasting my time trying to search out the elusive QC compatible chargers. When PD chargers - they're everywhere - will fast charge my phone just as fast.

Grrrrrrr!!!!!!
$10.00 !!!! For 6
IMG_0104.jpeg

I still have my daughter's and grandkids presents for their birthday laying around here. They were supposed to come but didn't ( broken vehicle afnd then he got sick) . Haven't seen my granddaughter since Thanksgiving.
When I was a service plumber (hated it)
Going into a old widows home was difficult Her kids don't call do not visit she is lonely and wants to talk
I have no intention of being rude . After 5 minutes of her telling me everything. I say. Mam, I can sit and talk all day but you do realize the clock is ticking I have to charge you whether I do anything or no

I went to Lowe's yesterday. The pimple-faced clerk says if you were a veteran, I could give you 5% off.

I mentioned I was only in law enforcement for 25 ******* years, and fought the wars on the city streets for 25 years. I've been shot at several times, fought suspects almost daily, I was hospitalized 11 times, had 9 operations due to injuries, and have scars which will remain with me for the rest of my life, not just the 4 years when I was enlisted.

Go back to hodepot / Lowe's. and ask for a manager they both give 10% to
Vets And first responder
I went to hodepot to get fencing

I picked. Out dog eared 1x6 slats enough for 500'
At the register I was charged full price
I told it negative. They are on sale
It looked in the sales paper and did not see the item so told me it is not on sale

I smiled and said Look above your head at the big banner

lol. It was not amused. It ran the sale price up without another word

When I signed my Dad up for their discount program, I had to provide a copy of his DD214. I did it online through their website.

Go back to hodepot and ask for a manager
Vets And first responder get a 10%discount.
I went to hodepot to get fencing

I picked. Out dog eared 1x6 slats enough for 500'
At the register I was charged full price
I told it negative. They are on sale
It looked in the sales paper and did not see the item so told me it is not on sale

I smiled and said Look above your head at the big banner

lol. It was not amused. It ran the sal price up without another word
When I signed my Dad up for their discount program, I had to provide a copy of his DD214. I did it online through their website.
or your military retired id
I am pretty sure Leo has some kind of id for the retired

Mini Rant:
For parents who feel the need, or grandparents who feel the need to fed small little people nothing but Easter Candy all day. No solid food of solid consistancy(meat, potatoes, cheeseburger etc.) Then send them to Granny's Sleepover so they can puke their socks up should be shot. So sickly sweet puke, made me sick to my stomach too.I can only hope the Good Lord has a very good sense of humor and repays you tenfold. Hence why Granny doesn't have candy at her house.Unless I make it. Then the parents wonder why at 3 years old or older their kids need caps, fillings etc.

We couldn't find my dad's DD214 so I had to request it online. It took them about 2 years to finally send it. I took a picture of it to submit it online (Mom qualifies for the benefits bc she's his widow). The discount helps to offset the insane sales tax here.
Mini Rant:
For parents who feel the need, or grandparents who feel the need to fed small little people nothing but Easter Candy all day. No solid food of solid consistancy(meat, potatoes, cheeseburger etc.) Then send them to Granny's Sleepover so they can puke their socks up should be shot. So sickly sweet puke, made me sick to my stomach too.I can only hope the Good Lord has a very good sense of humor and repays you tenfold. Hence why Granny doesn't have candy at her house.Unless I make it. Then the parents wonder why at 3 years old or older their kids need caps, fillings etc.
Ugh! Yeah, that would be very annoying. Especially when they give them caffeinated sodas on top of the candy so they are nearly bouncing off the walls. Not the same thing, but it reminded me of how one of my friend's exes would ask me to drive her somewhere and then bring along her kid and give him cheetohs and doritos and soda while he was in my vehicle (after I told her not to give him that crap because he made a mess). He would get the cheese powder everywhere and spill the soda. I didn't blame him bc she chose to give him that stuff-- I suspect she did it on purpose just to be nasty to me.

My gripe for the day is acid reflux and how my throat tends to tighten up and I can't swallow food or drink and it comes back up and I can't breathe and I end up choking and having to spit stuff up and it comes out my nose. Happened to me the other day and was so frustrating. I was able to eat most of a chicken thigh before things got stuck. I chewed thoroughly but the mucus and gas seemed to have blocked things. Had to keep belching and then coughing stuff up until things were clear enough for me to eat again.

Also, my mother sucks at communicating and was super cranky today. So, earlier in the day she asked if we had any asparagus. I answered in the affirmative. I asked if she wanted some and she said she couldn't eat yet as she had to wait after taking her thyroid meds. Then she wanted potatoes and chicken. I was watching TV in the room with her with my left ear in her direction. I'm partially deaf in my left ear. She also had her back to me. Apparently she was trying to talk to me but I couldn't hear her. I didn't hear until she yelled something and started flailing her arms in anger. I asked her what she said and she was all pissy and saying I ignored her. I turned the TV off and explained that I literally could not hear her and that she knows I'm half deaf, she didn't turn around to face me, and the TV was on. She continued to have a tantrum. She finally said that she asked me to get her asparagus. I said that I never heard her ask me to get it for her. She said "Well, I asked you if we had any" and I said "That's not the same thing and you know it. You didn't ask me to make it for you". She continued to pout.

She calmed down a bit for awhile. But she got mad and hung up on me when she called me on the phone later. I was driving and had to stop the vehicle to answer. I called back and she said she had called about 4 times. I only got one call so I must have been in a dead zone. Then when I was home she wanted something and I said to give me a second to move some stuff around (putting things back in containers so the dogs wouldn't get them). 5 seconds later as I'm walking over to her she starts having a tizzy again.

Funny part was that I at one point I asked her if she was going to stop acting like a child and she yelled "NO!" and then realized she'd admitted she was acting like a child and backtracked and said "YOU'RE the one acting like a child!"

Mini Rant:
Do you have a dehydrator
Mini Rant:
dehydrator?
Bananas
Orange slices
Mango
Dehydrated they are aá

Lori is pissed, some asshat (me) screwed a flag holder into the house, and the wind ripped the mount out of the house and left (GASP) holes. Cheap ass particleboard.
Luckily, we have grey utility box siding, easy to get caulk thats close.

Just wait till Andy and I drill a big ass hole in the wall for the Ham radio antenna
cables :p

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back