Rant for the Day (keep it clean)

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As an update, my brother finally received his correct W2 forms so now we just need Mom to show him how to fill in the info. She's always done his taxes for him. She was actually an official volunteer doing people's taxes and helping them with taxes at the US embassy in Singapore when we lived there.

Now if we can just get her to be patient with her blood sugar and to stop taking too much insulin when she gets worried that her sugar isn't going down instantly. At the very least, she needs to change the type of insulin she takes. My sister said a friend of hers takes some long-lasting insulin once per day and then fast-acting with meals.

My stomach wasn't feeling well today and I'm absolutely exhausted for no apparent reason.

My rant for the day is about Sam's (mostly) & other stores. First off Sam's. We have a small Sam's here. I guess because they are small they "rotate" things in & out. But I'm thinking before they rotate something out, they check & see if I (or we) buy it. Sooner or later the things that we normally buy just disappear & it gets tiring. And this next comment applies to a lot of stores (& Sam's). I understand that studies are done & have shown that the more customers look around for things, the more they buy. But have they ever done a study about how many customers get tired of that & stop shopping there? They need to stop moving items around constantly.!

I'm old & I shop at Sam's because they "sometimes" have things nobody in the area has & they "sometimes" have great deals on things. Great deal in that every 18 months to 2 years I save enough to pay for our membership. But being old in my case means that I don't have to shop for bargains or pinch pennies. And if I get frustrated enough, I'll just walk away & never come back & yes, I've done that before.

Now this isn't the place for this post but I'll say it. I know that a lot of people dislike Amazon for whatever reason, but I love them. We live in a town of 100,000 & there are things that you just can't find here or if you can, they are EXPENSIVE. I love to go to Amazon & find those items that save me money, trouble or that I just can't find. For instance, a part to our ceiling fan. Two different electricians in the area couldn't fix it because they couldn't find the needed part(s). The problem has to be 1 of 2 parts & I was told that I was out of luck. I know, get another fan but I have 2 of the same fans in the living room & I want them to match (they are expensive fans btw). So one beer & about 20 minutes & I found the replacement part for what has to be wrong with it. And the cost, less than 10 bucks. I love Amazon.

My town is 9 square miles. Amazon is planning on building a "Last Mile Delivery Service Center", smack dab in the center of my town. It will be one square mile large. 50 semi's a day, and 1200 sprinter vans and 2400 driver/passenger cars daily, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. They will kill this town. I absolutely hate Amazon!

I own Milwaukee!! Drills, impact, I am a hard core tool gal!!
Women should have tools and know how to use them. I know women who have never touched a drill! I have 3. First two are older corded drills. First one lost reverse so I bought the second one. First one could be set up with drill bit and second one with screwdriver bit. And then the glorious day I got my cordless drill for Christmas a number of years ago. I don’t think I’ve used the corded ones since.

My rant for the day is about Sam's (mostly) & other stores. First off Sam's. We have a small Sam's here. I guess because they are small they "rotate" things in & out. But I'm thinking before they rotate something out, they check & see if I (or we) buy it. Sooner or later the things that we normally buy just disappear & it gets tiring. And this next comment applies to a lot of stores (& Sam's). I understand that studies are done & have shown that the more customers look around for things, the more they buy. But have they ever done a study about how many customers get tired of that & stop shopping there? They need to stop moving items around constantly.!

I'm old & I shop at Sam's because they "sometimes" have things nobody in the area has & they "sometimes" have great deals on things. Great deal in that every 18 months to 2 years I save enough to pay for our membership. But being old in my case means that I don't have to shop for bargains or pinch pennies. And if I get frustrated enough, I'll just walk away & never come back & yes, I've done that before.
Sams is nothing but 'Wal-Mart Magnum'.
Don't feed the beast. :mad:

Ice cream is hit or miss at our stores, too. Little granddaughter loves coffee ice cream, and that's been a hard one to find. If I near the Braums store in the bigger town, and have a cold bag with me, I can buy cartons there.
My favorite is coffee, chocolate, almond, sometimes called mocha almond fudge. If anything is sold out, that’s the one. The danger for me is if they have it, I have to buy some, because there won’t be any for a while.

We have street sweeping once a month, two days for each street, one day for one side, next for the other side.

For a couple years I’ve had signs that I put up for the dog park, to remind people it is street sweeping day.

I grab old plastic corrugated political signs and repaint them. They are easy to use and push into the ground. I made 3 for street sweeping. Last fall, one disappeared. Yesterday I put the remaining two by the dog park before 8, when ticketing starts. I took two dogs at 1 and both signs were gone!

I drove over around 8 this morning to see if anyone knew anything about them. Someone asked me what happened to them? So far, no idea! Someone said people will steal anything. Yes they will!

I have one corrugated plastic piece left but I need to paint the words. It’s another month before we’ll need it. I may be able to find more before then.

old tex, I live in a town with about 6k people so it is very hard to find stuff. I usually have to drive an hour away to a town that has a population of 44k. Still can't find stuff. The ceiling fan thing reminds me that my Evergo fan no longer works. I don't know if its the power to it not working or if the motor finally died. It was installed in the 80s. I don't want to replace it because I like the style and the newer fans break down too fast and I don't like how they look. Mine has gold stencils on the blade and the brackets that hold the blades are solid and sturdy-- unlike the modern ones that bend/break easily. I have to order a lot of stuff from Amazon that I can't find in my area. I'll have to see if I can figure out what is wrong with my fan and if there are still parts for it.

I completely agree about samsclub and other stores moving stuff. Sams used to carry some meals my mom loved and I got them on a regular basis. Then one day they no longer had them. They recently stopped selling the bottled water we liked and now sell only smaller bottles. It gets so frustrating when they move things too. Can't find things and they don't say where things are on their app. I went to check in for my curbside pickup with the app and the option for that was gone. I had to respond to a text message to get my order brought out. I don't like texting.

Weedygarden, I love having power tools. As a kid my dad got me a miniature set of real tools-- manual screwdriver with a hand crank, hammer, wrench, small hand saw, etc. He let me "help" him in the garage when he worked on projects. Later on as an adult I helped him build some shelves and a desk. Helped him put up fencing, etc. I took woodworking in high school. I'm not the most proficient at it, but I can at least do some stuff. I really think everyone should learn how to do some basic repairs and stuff. Also, it is very sweet of you to put up signs to remind people to move their vehicles on streetsweeping days. Sucks that someone stole your signs though.

Weedygarden, I love having power tools. As a kid my dad got me a miniature set of real tools-- manual screwdriver with a hand crank, hammer, wrench, small hand saw, etc. He let me "help" him in the garage when he worked on projects. Later on as an adult I helped him build some shelves and a desk. Helped him put up fencing, etc. I took woodworking in high school. I'm not the most proficient at it, but I can at least do some stuff. I really think everyone should learn how to do some basic repairs and stuff. Also, it is very sweet of you to put up signs to remind people to move their vehicles on streetsweeping days. Sucks that someone stole your signs though.
Thank you! I’m certainly not proficient! I’ve taken 3 woodworking classes. I was in process of making a crib for my daughter when she was born early. I’ve never finished it because the class was over and I taking care of an infant with health concerns. It’s mostly in a box in the basement. I’ve built some kitchen cabinets, coffee and end tables. I would love to have access to a well equipped wood shop.

old tex, I live in a town with about 6k people so it is very hard to find stuff. I usually have to drive an hour away to a town that has a population of 44k. Still can't find stuff. The ceiling fan thing reminds me that my Evergo fan no longer works. I don't know if its the power to it not working or if the motor finally died. It was installed in the 80s. I don't want to replace it because I like the style and the newer fans break down too fast and I don't like how they look. Mine has gold stencils on the blade and the brackets that hold the blades are solid and sturdy-- unlike the modern ones that bend/break easily. I have to order a lot of stuff from Amazon that I can't find in my area. I'll have to see if I can figure out what is wrong with my fan and if there are still parts for it.

I completely agree about samsclub and other stores moving stuff. Sams used to carry some meals my mom loved and I got them on a regular basis. Then one day they no longer had them. They recently stopped selling the bottled water we liked and now sell only smaller bottles. It gets so frustrating when they move things too. Can't find things and they don't say where things are on their app. I went to check in for my curbside pickup with the app and the option for that was gone. I had to respond to a text message to get my order brought out. I don't like texting.

I learned SO MUCH hanging out with my Dad as a kid!! How to work on vehicles, mowers, wood working, and so much animal stuff!! My Mom was surprised I ever learned to cook!!😃

I think my mom was surprised that I learned to cook-- although I use the microwave a lot. I'm not very good at it and I don't enjoy it. I realized I was wrong about the hand crank thing being a screwdriver, it was a drill. I also had a flat head screwdriver. They were all designed for smaller hands. Wish I could find them again. They weren't plastic either. They were wood and metal.

So, Mom didn't get my brother's taxes filed yet because she needs to find his AGI from the previous year and she can't seem to find the right document and I'm trying to figure out how to access his taxes from last year in the program. I know she saved them somewhere on her computer. But I can't look while she's in her chair.

I have a tooth that really needs out, no dentist will touch me because I have high blood pressure. NOTHING I take lowers it. I'm considering doing it myself!

Yeesh. I hope you can get some relief soon Magus. Having tooth pain can drive the bp up, but they only care about their own liability.

I'm absolutely exhausted. Brother dragged ass and didn't get info for his taxes yet. No idea how to find his adjusted gross income from 2022 (can't seem to find the forms).

Dogs knocked over the trash and dug through it so now I need to clean that up but my body is not cooperating.

My day got worse. After I turned my ankle, I got a case of the trots and my back blew out again, OH but it got even better! (NOT!) I started getting chills and shooting muscle cramps and I was hit by stomach pain like the time I accidentally OD ed more cramps, and a lovely panic attack to top it all off! I could wring my doctor's neck for putting me on something I was sure I'd have a bad reaction to! It's probably why I twisted my ankle, I was zonked out for 20 hours and when I woke up, I felt like I was drunk! I wrote it off to oversleeping, but I guess not.

That is just awful, Magus. Sending you big hugs. Hope you get feeling better. Turning an ankle on its own sucks, but having the trots and then the cramps. Ugh. I know that feeling.

I actually have some good news. Well, my gripe is that I couldn't get to sleep because I was worried about my brother not getting his taxes filed. The good news is I finally found out how he could get the info he needed (the AGI from 2022) and he got it and his taxes are now filed. So I should be able to sleep. But I keep getting this weird spasm/twinge in my left hand that is annoying me. Earlier I couldn't get the cap off a milk container and had to get my brother to do it for me. He rolled his eyes at me at first but then he had a little trouble getting it off. LOL.

I never need to go to the doctor.
I am sitting in an urgent care clinic or the second time in 2 weeks.
First time was for my knee.
Now is because I got sick 4 days ago.
I thought it was allergies and to much New Mexico sun.
I was wrong.
My head feels like it'd going to explode.
My eyes and nose run constantly.
This sucks.
On top of that there is a major weather event going to happen right in our travel path so we're staying put for a few days.

I never need to go to the doctor.
I am sitting in an urgent care clinic or the second time in 2 weeks.
First time was for my knee.
Now is because I got sick 4 days ago.
I thought it was allergies and to much New Mexico sun.
I was wrong.
My head feels like it'd going to explode.
My eyes and nose run constantly.
This sucks.
On top of that there is a major weather event going to happen right in our travel path so we're staying put for a few days.
Glad y'all are staying put! Hope you get well soon!!

backlash, I hope you get feeling better soon.

My good news turned into bad news. The H&R Block servers went down yesterday and are not back up yet. Thousands of customers are unable to file. Furthermore, people are being charged by H&R Block for every failed attempt to file. They said it would be back up and working at noon CST. It's still not back up and Mom just woke me up to check on it even though its my brother's taxes. I told her its not my responsibility, I did what I could for him and he is the one who can check his e-mail to see if he got verification of taxes being submitted. I'd finally gotten into a good sleep too. Every single damn time I've gotten into a good sleep the past few days I've been woken up. I went to ask him if he checked his e-mail and he started screaming at me and that Mom already woke him up. I told him she woke me up and its not even my taxes. He continued to scream and swear at me. I'm done with him on this. He's on his own. He can pay his own fines and whatever consequences for late filing at this point. The feds and state owe him so he doesn't owe them, but he will get penalized for not filing on time. That's on him for taking so long to get the info to Mom and not being more proactive about it.

And now one of the cats just puked on my leg.

Last edited:
Tossing this out there buy why do you wait until the last minute to file taxes, especially if you're getting a refund? Whether I got a refund or paid, my taxes were done in February. I sleep good when I know they're behind me.
Some have no choice. A few places/companies don't send out 1099's until very late. I have a roster to check off when they come in.
Nothing worse than paying for filing, and then have to pay again to file an 'amended return' after a straggler 1099 shows up, or get put on 'the list'. :(
Others set up no withholding and dump the $$ into an interest-bearing account and harvest the interest off of it right up until 'tax-time'.
They wait until the last minute to get every dollar off of it.

We're in Albuquerque, NM
Severe weather forecasted for East of us so we have decided to stay put till Wednesday or longer if we need to.
Tornados, high winds, and hail up to 2"
The doc at the Urgent care tested me for Covid, flu and strep. All came back normal so I have a massive allergy.
He wrote me a Rx for eye drops, nose spray and Mucinex.
Starting to see a small improvement so maybe there is hope.
I hate to be sick. I just go to bed and stay there.

Some have no choice. A few places/companies don't send out 1099's until very late. I have a roster to check off when they come in.
Nothing worse than paying for filing, and then have to pay again to file an 'amended return' after a straggler 1099 shows up, or get put on 'the list'. :(
Others set up no withholding and dump the $$ into an interest-bearing account and harvest the interest off of it right up until 'tax-time'.
They wait until the last minute to get every dollar off of it.
The payer is responsible for filling out the appropriate 1099 tax form and sending it to you. The IRS requires payers to provide most 1099 forms by January 31.

The payer is responsible for filling out the appropriate 1099 tax form and sending it to you. The IRS requires payers to provide most 1099 forms by January 31.
I had to give your post the laughing 'like'. :(
I have received some after April 15th...
Fortunately they were not significant enough to get me put on 'the list'.
Nothing whatsoever happens to companies that are late sending them out.
When they finally get around to looking, the evidence is already out the door.

Last edited:
I can be such a dolt before my coffee starts to engage.

Started day by pestering my brother where the the load handler was hidden in the truck. Found it where he said to look. Good.

Down to the bulk landscape place and verified with loader operator that 1/2 cu yd of Special Mix was right for the truck. He confirmed and asked what I was getting. I told him and said I would go pay for it. On my way back out I start going through the process of rolling out The load handler when I noticed the truck was sitting low. He loaded when I wasn't looking.

So...

Instead of cranking out the load I had to pull it out with a hoe.

I should have installed the load handler as soon as I dismount the truck there.

Live and learn.

Ben

Sorry you're in Albuquerque, Backlash. Crime is too high, and docs are scarce and leaving. I left there four years ago. That mucinex will just make you thirsty, you'll drink more fluids, and it'll clear you out faster. Try some Zyrtec. It's over the counter. Trailers have a way of disappearing from Hotel parking lots there. And pickup trucks. Catalytic convertors, too. Our son lives there and has lost two in a year.

I had to give your post the laughing 'like'. :(
I have received some after April 15th...
Fortunately they were not significant enough to get me put on 'the list'.
Nothing whatsoever happens to companies that are late sending them out.
When they finally get around to looking, the evidence is already out the door.
Nope, pester early, get what you need!! I wait on no one!!

Albuquerque, NM

Starting to see a small improvement so maybe there is hope.
I hate to be sick. I just go to bed and stay there.

Being sick while traveling is the worst!!!! Happened to me several times over the years. Once in uhaul moving 1000miles, spent 3 days in a crappy hotel with only the strength to get vending machine food. Even had emergency surgery while working in france… I didn’t even speak the language! 🤣 I feel for you! If I'm sick i just want to stay home.

At Least you have the wife… hope she stays well. Wouldn’t do for both of you to go down. There is a bug going around, started hearing about it 3 weeks ago… stay well! 🙂

Latest posts

Back