Right Brain, Left Brain

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bacpacker

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
This came up in another thread. Thought it may get a little discussion going. Here is a definition I found that explains the theory better than I can.

The theory is that people are either left-brained or right-brained, meaning that one side of their brain is dominant. If you're mostly analytical and methodical in your thinking, you're said to be left-brained. If you tend to be more creative or artistic, you're thought to be right-brained.

I had some classes at a place I used to work to help me out as I moved into supervision. One class had some dicussion on R vs L brain. Even had some little test they had us take. I have to say I fit mine type very well. My wife is the opposite and fits her's to a T as well. I am very much left brained. Sometimes too much. I tend to think thinks over and at times have a hard time making up my mind.
What say you?

I am ultra Left Brained.

If you are unsure what you are, here is a quiz to find out. The scoring system is at the bottom hidden as a spoiler. No cheating. ;)

The Alert Scale of Cognitive Style, by Dr. Loren D. Crane, Western Michigan University, 1989.

Choose the one sentence that is more true. Do not leave any blanks. Remember, there is no ‘right’ or ‘wrong’ answer to this quiz…

1. A ) It’s fun to take risks. B ) I have fun without taking risks.

2. A ) I look for new ways to do old jobs. B ) When one way works well, I don’t change it.

3. A ) I begin many jobs that I never finish. B ) I finish a job before starting a new one.

4. A ) I’m not very imaginative in my work. B ) I use my imagination in everything I do.

5. A ) I can analyze what is going to happen next. B ) I can sense what is going to happen next.

6. A ) I try to find the one best way to solve a problem. B ) I try to find different answers to problems.

7. A ) My thinking is like pictures going through my head. B ) My thinking is like words going through my head.

8. A ) I agree with new ideas before other people do. B ) I question new ideas more than other people do.

9. A ) Other people don’t understand how I organize things. B ) Other people think I organize well.

10. A ) I have good self-discipline. B ) I usually act on my feelings.

11. A ) I plan time for doing my work. B ) I don’t think about the time when I work.

12. A ) With a hard decision, I choose what I know is right. B ) With a hard decision, I choose what I feel is right.

13. A ) I do easy things first and important things later. B ) I do the important things first and the easy things later.

14. A ) Sometimes in a new situation, I have too many ideas. B ) Sometimes in a new situation, I don’t have any ideas.

15. A ) I question new ideas more than other people do. B ) I agree with new ideas before other people do.

16. A ) I have to have a lot of change and variety in my life. B ) I have to have an orderly and well-planned life.

17. A ) I know I’m right, because I have good reasons. B ) I know I’m right, even without good reasons.

18. A ) I spread my work evenly over the time I have. B ) I prefer to do my work at the last minute.

19. A ) I keep everything in a particular place. B ) Where I keep things depends on what I’m doing.

20. A ) I have to make my own plans. B ) I can follow anyone’s plans.

21. A ) I am a very flexible and unpredictable person. B ) I am a consistent and stable person.

22. A ) With a new task, I want to find my own way of doing it. B ) With a new task, I want to be told the best way to do it.

To Score:
  • Give yourself one point for each time you answered “A” for questions: 1, 2, 3, 7, 8, 9, 13, 14, 15, 19, 20, 21.
  • Give yourself one point for each time you answered “B” for questions: 4 ,5, 6, 10, 11, 12, 16, 17, 18.
Add all points. Totals imply:
  • 0-4: strong left brain
  • 5-8: moderate left brain
  • 9-13: middle brain
  • 14-16: moderate right brain
  • 17-21: strong right brain

Latest posts

Back