Rough Camping With Jake

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hashbrown

Peckerwood
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I've been hitting the woods with Jake every since he could carry a pack. Tonight we are up Bull creek for a little over night It will be below freezing when we wake up in the morning.

bull1.jpg

bull2.jpg

bull3.jpg

bull4.jpg

bull5.jpg
bull6.jpg
bull7.jpg
bull8.jpg
bull9.jpg
bull10.jpg

Very very cool. Looks like a great time. I have done some rough camping with my sons and one daughter, but not as much as I would like too. The rest of the girls (and their Mom) are not the camping type. Unless someone is bringing a motor home and a generator. I guess that would be pampered camping. ;)

I've been hitting the woods with Jake every since he could carry a pack. Tonight we are up Bull creek for a little over night It will be below freezing when we wake up in the morning.

View attachment 4807
View attachment 4809
View attachment 4810
View attachment 4811
View attachment 4812 View attachment 4813 View attachment 4814 View attachment 4815 View attachment 4816 View attachment 4817

Hash, Glad your feeling better .Looks like the boy is having a great time too. Beautiful water.

Very very cool. Looks like a great time. I have done some rough camping with my sons and one daughter, but not as much as I would like too. The rest of the girls (and their Mom) are not the camping type. Unless someone is bringing a motor home and a generator. I guess that would be pampered camping. ;)
Sentry for some that would be rough camping. I have friends that “camp” in accommodations fancier than any home I ever lived in and in some cases more expensive.

That looks like a lot of fun for both you and Jake! He will remember the good times.

Having spent a lot of time on my grandparent's ranch where we were always on the lookout for snakes, especially the ones with rattles on their tails, that is my ongoing concern when camping. When I could zip up into a tent, I felt a little safer, thinking I wouldn't wake up to a snake in my sleeping bag. I know that is not 100% fail proof, a snake can get up close and personal in many ways.

For me now, I have slept in sleeping bags in tents and now I want something more comfortable than sleeping on the ground, even with a sleeping pad. I do have a couple sleep hammocks in my camping gear, and have yet to give them a try.

I quit trying to camp after I went with my daughter a few times when she was a child. She now camps with friends. I am sure she does not whine and complain about the discomforts of camping with them like she did with me.

I have a friend whose husband loves to camp and she told him the only way would be in a camper. She is a city girl, who doesn't ever want to live just a mile or two from shopping. She is a good friend, but we are very different.

Thats awesome,

I did a lot of that a a kid....memories forever.

Do it as along as you can.

Creating memories.

That Jake is a heck of a lad.

Jim

We made it in around an hour ago we had a blast but it got a little chili this morning!

Sounds like an AWESOME trip. Enjoy this trip and the good times together.

I could stay out there for a month!

Very nice!
Looks like Jake did the polar bear plunge

That boy would jump in if there was snow on the ground!

Go Dad, go! At any father's funeral, no child ever says, "My Dad spent to much time with me."

It may be because I'm an older dad but I enjoy it so much!
Good times! Now you've got to expand on the menu a bit.... :camping:

This was a no prep trip just hit the woods with our bugouts.

The same here! The wife did say she wanted to go with us next time though

Hash, Glad your feeling better .Looks like the boy is having a great time too. Beautiful water.

Thanks! I was released by the surgeon last week with no restrictions!

That looks like a lot of fun for both you and Jake! He will remember the good times.

Having spent a lot of time on my grandparent's ranch where we were always on the lookout for snakes, especially the ones with rattles on their tails, that is my ongoing concern when camping. When I could zip up into a tent, I felt a little safer, thinking I wouldn't wake up to a snake in my sleeping bag. I know that is not 100% fail proof, a snake can get up close and personal in many ways.

For me now, I have slept in sleeping bags in tents and now I want something more comfortable than sleeping on the ground, even with a sleeping pad. I do have a couple sleep hammocks in my camping gear, and have yet to give them a try.

I quit trying to camp after I went with my daughter a few times when she was a child. She now camps with friends. I am sure she does not whine and complain about the discomforts of camping with them like she did with me.

I have a friend whose husband loves to camp and she told him the only way would be in a camper. She is a city girl, who doesn't ever want to live just a mile or two from shopping. She is a good friend, but we are very different.

We are always on the lookout for snakes! I won't even go out in July and August for that reason! You should give the hammocks a try they are comfortable easy to pack and get you off the ground.

I miss those times of just throwing up cots around the campfire and drinking boiled coffee with my dad. We swam in the llano and Nueces river with never a thought of any kind of danger. When moved to the Texas Hill country, rattlesnakes, copperhead, cotton mouths and havelinas where the only thing we ever gave much thought to.
My hubby and I were newly weds when we had our only rough campout with his parents and little brother. My FIL couldnt swim and is terrified of water. The folks had a cover and bedding in the back of a pick up and Jim and I had a tent. It came an Oklahoma gully washer that night. We didn't get get wet, but the folks took turns holding up their cover. They were afraid to come to our tent because we were newly weds;). They waited until we were up and got in our tent for naps . Good memories!

Keep up the good work HB!!

Hash, you and your Family do yourselves Proud, you have set an Example for the entire World to see: This is how you raise a Child to be a responsible, well adjusted Adult. Loving, engaged Parents are what a Child needs, not an I Phone or Video Game.

Hash, you and your Family do yourselves Proud, you have set an Example for the entire World to see: This is how you raise a Child to be a responsible, well adjusted Adult. Loving, engaged Parents are what a Child needs, not an I Phone or Video Game.

It's my priority to raise a good man. My father was very busy when I was growing up and didn't have the sort of time to spend on these type of adventures. My Grandfather on the other hand had lots of time. He never really had what most folks would call a job. He was a fishing guide 3 months a year the rest of the time he hunted, trapped and did a little farming. It would be really hard to live that sort of life today but he spent a massive amount of time with me in the woods teaching me what he thought I needed to know and I feel it's my responsibility to give it to my son. What I wouldn't give for one more trapping season with my Grandpa

As humans we all pass from this earth but the memories we help create live from generation to generation. I worked 80 hour weeks and my sons lost out, my grandchildren will now benefit.

It comes right down to that! At my age I don't have time or would be lucky to ever see a grandchild so I've got to give this kid everything I can.

Latest posts

Back