Sayin hi

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justin76

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
Well I discovered this place from SB and other forums.
Not much of a poster but I lurk quite a bit and post time to time.

Little into about myself, currently live in Hong Kong with my wife, son and our two idiot dogs. (we love them, but they really are idiots and that is our pet name for them.)
Recently we bought a house on 5 wooded acres off the beaten path, in Northern Lower Michigan, I'm originally from the UP but wife is from HK so snow will be interesting.
I'll be moving back this coming August after 23 years in Asia, 12 in Japan in the USN and the rest over here...time to go home.
My wife and son will follow shortly after, she needs to finish her masters and get her international therapist/counseling license first. One of the two Idiots come with me the other stays to look after the boy and my wife.
I'll be asking a lot of questions from time to time on things, and hope this place can help me get a few answers and maybe I can answer a few as well.

Cheers,

Returning home after so many years being out of the country is going to be as much of a shock to you as it will be for your wife and child. BTW, welcome home when you get here.

We have some interesting characters populating this forum so sit back and have fun reading.

As has been said before, what an interesting life! Welcome to the forum from Clifton Tennessee. Not good on questions about snow removal (Yeeaaah) but a lot of people on here are!
Good to meet you and I pray you and your family have an easy and adventuresome transition to USA living. Just beware, our political situation is the pits right now.

Thanks all for the welcome,

Grumpy:
Politics in the US well...if they leave me and mine alone then ill leave them alone.
Phideaux:
I was born in Ishpeming, north of Escanaba, the Yoop is a beautiful place but not much in the way of work since the mines all closed.
Great hunting and fishing.
Snow is something we will need to get used to again....

Warm Welcome from the Arizona Valley folks. When you get tired of being elbow deep in the white fluffy stuff, you are welcome to come down to the beautiful WARM land of eternal sunshine.

Welcome from the cool northeastern half of Arizona! We're still waiting on LOTS of white fluffy stuff- Lizard Man, I hope you are not doing anything to keep that fluffy stuff away from here!!

Welcome from the cool northeastern half of Arizona! We're still waiting on LOTS of white fluffy stuff- Lizard Man, I hope you are not doing anything to keep that fluffy stuff away from here!!

I did contact the mother ship but I set the weather control parameters so you mountain folks could have ALL the white fluffy stuff. And I mean ALL of it. :thumbs up::woo hoo:

Welcome aboard, Justin, from Colorado! I know there will be an adjustment when you move back to the U.S. I worked with a man who had lived over seas for many years and one year was all he could take here. His wife didn't cook, so they ate all of their meals out. It was the cost of living that was the hardest for them.

Yea, cost of living might be an issue, its actually cheaper stateside than over here for some things, property and parking is ridiculous expensive here!
We will miss the cheap food, and thousands of restaurants.
But the upside is we will know where its coming from.
Cheap travel is another thing we are going to miss a lot. Its 45min to Macau, hour and a half to Vietnam and Philippines. Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore and all those 3~4 hours...
But, we can drive to Montana and see the Rockies, Everglades, camping trips around lake Superior.
Clean fresh air is what we need not stacked on top of each other 40 floors high...

@Justin76 been to Hong Kong and I have never seen buildings sweat as I saw over there and got to say never did get the smell of the pollution out of my fabric travel luggage after that trip either. But do agree the food is cheap over there, the taxi drivers drive like loons and you definitely need to put on a seat belt and hold on for grim death :eek: .

@Justin76 been to Hong Kong and I have never seen buildings sweat as I saw over there and got to say never did get the smell of the pollution out of my fabric travel luggage after that trip either. But do agree the food is cheap over there, the taxi drivers drive like loons and you definitely need to put on a seat belt and hold on for grim death :eek: .

Yea the pollution drifts over from the mainland...horrid stuff. But after a typhoon or cold weather comes it clears up.
The heat and humidity in July is the worst!

Latest posts

Back