Severe storm moving in

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimLE

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
we have a severe storm moving today.and the wrose of it won't be here till this evening..high winds. hail.and tornado's are expected. It's expected to last till Saturday night. or sunday.I'm not fully prepared for this.but will survive it as long as i don't get a direct hit from a tornado and all.i hope it's not a replay of last April. where 2 tornado's touched down.in which they did quite a bit of severe damage.

We must be on the front edge of the storm. It has been raining for the last twelve hours, and it is expected to continue all day tomorrow. Temps are unseasonably high which makes for ideal tornado weather.

Same here, got to go get gas for the generator and a couple other items. We're expecting sleet, rain, freezing rain here, with ice accumulations up to a 1/2 inch at the current prediction..

Same here, got to go get gas for the generator and a couple other items. We're expecting sleet, rain, freezing rain here, with ice accumulations up to a 1/2 inch at the current prediction..

I hate ice worse than snow. You feel so helpless. You hear stories about guys putting on golf shoes to get the mail, or casting a fishing line to hook the newspaper, but it is no fun when you are in it. Power lines come down. Trees come down (on power lines). It is a nightmare. Stay safe, Curmudgeon. I hope you weather the storm, literally.

Last edited:
we have a severe storm moving today.and the wrose of it won't be here till this evening..high winds. hail.and tornado's are expected. It's expected to last till Saturday night. or sunday.I'm not fully prepared for this.but will survive it as long as i don't get a direct hit from a tornado and all.i hope it's not a replay of last April. where 2 tornado's touched down.in which they did quite a bit of severe damage.

We're looking for the severe weather Saturday into Sunday.

https://www.theweathernetwork.com/us/severe-weather-outlook/alabama/mobile

good link venom.

this gets me when it comes to folks that don't do this.and yes.i use to be one of them..lol..

could result in weather warnings or alerts being issued. To help you plan ahead and be prepared, this 3 day outlook and map below will detail when, where and what the anticipated level of risk is for your local area. Below that, we have some videos on the potential alert type to help you get ahead of the storm and plan accordingly.

We are expecting to get hit Saturday around dark. Forecast winds upward of 70mph in the mountains. 50mph around the house. Lots of rain too. But the storm is supposed to be moving fast when it hits. Should be past us by midnight.
Prayers for everyone in the path to get thru safely.

https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/national/severe-weather-maps

upload_2020-1-11_7-4-17.png

2 inches of rain here since around midnight. Got up and the temp was 52* it's already dropped to 40*. Still a whole lotta moisture headed this way, they are predicting up to a half inch of ice.

Yippee. NOT!

We had torrential downpour last evening, lots of thunder and lightning off and on during the afternoon. Tornados or rotations 20-30 minutes north of here.

Today, it is SNOWING right now. Nice layer of white on surfaces, not so sure about the roads.
32°, feels like 21, they say.

I'm sitting here waiting for it to blow through. I think it's loosing a little of the expected strength since it's coning a little earlier so the air won't heat up as much. Was 70* F at 6 am here in N. AL. Should be down to around freezing by this evening.

Still raining steady 5 hours now.
Standing water everywhere.

Roads are really bad for hydroplaning.

All the farms are covered.

The Dam has all gates open and the river is out of it's banks.
Please take some pictures for all of the Californianuts that are constantly bombarding us with how critical it is that we all conserve water to save them:rolleyes:.
None of them sent a single bucket (or tanker) when we were floating in 2-foot of flood-water:mad:.

Last edited:
Rain stopped late this morning, there is snow on the mountains to the west of us, presently it's 48 degrees. Last nights weather news says snow down to 2,000 feet, that could include us and it's needed in the mountain behind us, it's good for this years water supply. Everyone be careful being out and about, this weather brings out the loonies and that's why we stay home when the weather gets wild.

We had our version of the storm. We started at-17C on Friday. Around 2am Sat. The temperature rose to +7 and it started raining heavily. It rained all day and into last night. Sometime in the wee hours this morning, the temperature dropped again and it started in with freezing rain. We have now moved on to snow.

Everything/one is pretty much grounded. We topped up the animals with 5 days of food and water yesterday as there was no telling how long before we could even move a tractor again.

Please take some pictures for all of the Californianuts that are constantly bombarding us with how critical it is that we all conserve water to save them:rolleyes:.
None of them sent a single bucket (or tanker) when we were floating in 2-foot of flood-water:mad:.
I keep suggesting a pipeline from flood prone areas to drought prone areas but all everyone says is "its not feasible and is to expensive". I bet it would be cheaper than repairing all the flood damage...

Latest posts

Back