SHTF Christian use of force

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just a thought...
FB_IMG_1609772879484.jpg

Jim

You might want to think real hard about this plan before you get very far into it. You'll be adding to his supplies in his house. In a worst case scenario, since it's in his possession what if he decides not to share? Are you willing to get in a shoot out with him to get your stuff back? It seems like you'd be better served to rent a small storage unit until you have a place of your own. It may seem like an unnecessary expense but might be cheaper in the end in so many ways.

If you do rent a storage unit, don't tell your friend or let him know where it's at. Just tell him you haven't had the money to start prepping yet and drop the subject. Remember that old saying about never going into business with family or friends? Same goes for food storage. Yes, I'm a cynic but, sadly, I'm often correct in my assessment of human nature.
That's something to think about.....but he has the land tools space and community that would be needed to survive. All storage units located more in the country are in wide open areas where the wind would be strong although if he ever decides enough is enough and says he needs the space before I get a place I like the idea of the storage shed.
I guess it's risk vs reward. The risk is there but the benefits far out way it since by myself I wouldn't get far in an area with no one I know. We have been good friends for many years but yes crazy times and change people. I'd be more worried about his wife flip flopping than him but that's a risk I'd need to take.

Exodus 22:2 King James Version (KJV)
2 If a thief be found breaking up, and be smitten that he die, there shall no blood be shed for him.

True on so many levels. Like people complaining to HR about the boss treating them mean. Lolol. By myself if all hell breaks loose I'm definitely dead. Sure if you are lucky no one bothers you or you scare off or stop a few bandits but one guy can only face one area and needs to reload. The storage area I'm thinking about aren't super far removed from my smaller city. By design you can see it well from the road being a big parking lot. If I get cheated well then I know vs being the lone survivor off a common road out of the city. I could abandon ship to a small group of trees but then my container would get raided.

Oh the friend also lives near my stomping grounds growing up so I know some locals but more importantly know the lay of the land. What it looks like in a blizzard, where the hiding spots are if people try to sneak up. And they have a well maintained garden that gets cow poop regularly so is prime for growing. (Defending the garden is different but some locals have a garden also.
It may not be the best situation but it's the best as of now. I'd love to live farther north in a house with some land and a wood burning stove but for now this is the best I can think of for survivability.

Exodus 22:2 King James Version (KJV)
2 If a thief be found breaking up, and be smitten that he die, there shall no blood be shed for him.
Yes! Thanks I did look up and read the part about a thief in the night. Where if it's dark and someone breaks in your house with unknown intentions and you plug him. It's allowed but you still plugged a person. Then it says if it's light out and you can see they are just a thief but clearly don't want to harm you and you shoot them you are unclean and not justified in that act.
So I figure a danger gets plugged and person who is clearly not a threat gets held at gun point, pepper sprayed, or a little tenderizing depending how active he/she is but still alive if not a CLEAR threat.

Trust me though pepper spray is not going to be the thing I lead with for an unknown person who just kicked in my door. The locked door is for there protection more than mine.

I don’t want to predispose what I will do. Each situation will be unique and one needs to weight the risks/rewards of actions or inaction. My prayer is that I will have time for an adequate assessment of those risks. While I don’t want to predispose an action, I do have a bias towards self preservation for me and my family.

Thank you, John. I appreciate those thoughts.

I don't have the answer. But I do have faith in He who knows all things. I've had Him put words in my mouth to say at just the right moment. I've had Him tell me, nearly audibly, "Just walk away". I don't believe we're just out there on our own when we are people of faith.

My "preps" are meager compared to some, substantial to those who have done nothing. I would love to help everyone but am quite limited. Perhaps the "help" I offer to the community around me won't be far beyond not adding our family to the burden of people who need help. It really depends on exactly what happens.

We really do live out away from even small towns. People on foot could find way more target rich environments, unless perhaps they actually know how to butcher and minimally process animals. Lots of chickens to be had, some wild hogs to be had, a fair number of deer, squirrels and doves all over, quite a few cattle to be had. And I suspect a good many farmers that would make a deal for those who showed up and asked. I think the general thought among this neighborhood would be that if you intended to steal, kill, and pillage, you'd probably have a target on you. If you were only asking for help, I think most would do what they could to see that you at least had a meal, maybe more. Attitude could get you help or get you killed.

Honestly, I don't have a whole lot that I would kill over. And I hope I'm not faced with that kind of a decision. It ain't like the movies.

Thank you, John. I appreciate those thoughts.

Honestly, I don't have a whole lot that I would kill over. And I hope I'm not faced with that kind of a decision. It ain't like the movies.

I have a philosophy of avoiding contact and confrontation. This is along the line of what Ol Remus would discus on the woodpile report of avoiding all human contact where possible. It would be my hope to have advance notice someone was coming so I wouldn’t be there to kill or be killed.

Having been in the military and from being deployed to some hot spots, I am fully aware of the horrors that man can inflect on man. I know what happens when people hesitate when they shouldn’t have. I know what happens when people overreact. I also know the horrors that remain in the minds of those who come out of these events alive.

If I am not fortunate enough to be in the position to not be there, my prayer is that I will have time to adequately think through what the risks of the encounter are. I do know life doesn’t always give us this luxury. And I know what I am capable of, both good and bad. Thus my prayer.

This topic has been discussed here before. I'm not trying to shut down this particular discussion, but just mentioning it so that you can see what the responses were then. I think this is the thread I am thinking of below. You'll probably find it interesting. I think there are other threads that discuss this as well.
https://www.homesteadingforum.org/threads/new-thoughts-on-the-showups.3742/
Aldi store by me has the cheapest stuff and I feel better supporting them then Walmart.
I think this is a great idea. However, if you are just starting, don't make the mistake of just buying a bunch of stuff that you'll likely never use. That's what I did when I first started. Make sure you buy what you like and will eat. I love Aldi, but there are some products they have that I just don't like. So, make sure if you stock up on stuff there, it's stuff you like and will eat. Also get stuff with a long shelf life since you are not storing it in your home. By the time you get around to eating it, it will be years.....likely not months. With that in mind, I would stick to dehydrated and canned things. Nuts, crackers, sauces, etc. will go bad before you can use them. In my experience, canned fruits and canned tomato products also do not last as long as canned beans and other veges. I have lots of canned kidney beans, pork and beans, stews, meats, tuna, soups, and even chef-boy-r-dee ravioli and spaghetti. I don't eat very much chef-boy-r-dee stuff anymore, but it is an easy meal in a can and they last pretty long.

I would also suggest trying to stock up your own personal pantry (where you live) first. Just start with a few cans of stuff here and there. With your own pantry, you can stock things that have a shorter life span too since you will be eating out of this pantry more often. I have popcorn, corn chips, salsa, nuts, spices, energy bars, etc. there. So, get yourself set up at home first and then stock the secondary spot. With that secondary spot, you could stock up a decent amount of stuff with $100 bucks. Buy a couple cases of Ravioli for $48, a couple case of green beans for $24, a case of tuna $12 and a half case of peanut butter $9. Also buy a couple of cases of bottled water, which will cost you about $6 at Aldi. It's not a lot, but it will get you by for a while......and it's a start.

As far a shooting anyone that moves.....I agree with AlaskaJohn. Most people who are saying they will shoot everyone, probably hasn't shot anyone before. The psychology aspect of it is real and shouldn't be ignored. I will not sell my soul to the Devil and let him invade my mind like that. If I was in a Walking Dead situation, I'd probably be one of the zombies. I won't go all 'dark' and Mad Max. Nope, I'd rather be dead. But then again, I'm a believer in God and think that when this life ends, I will go someplace better. It's a comforting feeling, especially considering I have it pretty darned good right now. Yup, God loves me. That's not to say that I won't shoot someone in self defense or someone who is forcefully trying to invade my home. I don't have guns and ammo just b/c I think they are pretty. It's one of those things that I'm glad I have but hope never to have to use.

Buy a couple cases of Ravioli for $48, a couple case of green beans for $24, a case of tuna $12 and a half case of peanut butter $9.

Wow, I wanna shop where you're shoppin'!! We don't really eat ravioli anymore. And we grow and can more green beans than I wanna think about. But cans of tuna, just little ones, tend to be $3 or $4 a piece here. And peanut butter is about $4 to $5 a jar. We do like and use both.

We don't have a way to get our hands on tuna easily by way of fishing. Not much tuna to be had in central Tennessee waters. But I do have some peanut seed in my collection of seed that I'm intending to try out this coming year. Hey, I wanna try it, even if doesn't grow us all we need, I still wanna try it. Never know. It might make a difference. Everything we can grow and produce right here at home is something we don't have to buy. :)

Wow, I wanna shop where you're shoppin'!! We don't really eat ravioli anymore. And we grow and can more green beans than I wanna think about. But cans of tuna, just little ones, tend to be $3 or $4 a piece here. And peanut butter is about $4 to $5 a jar. We do like and use both.

Oh, my goodness! Things sound really high in your location. I get a four pack of 5 oz. Great Value tuna for $2.58. It hasn't gone up the last couple of years but it might jump up in the near future.

Costco Kirkland tuna is $17/8, just over $2/can, delivery is free if you buy more than $75 worth of stuff.

2-Day Delivery

Kirkland Signature Solid White Albacore Tuna in Water, 7 oz, 8-count
Item 335238 Your Price 16.99$

Back to the thread, as far as using force; that will always be a very personal decision and in my book killing is killing, you will have to account for your actions some day. You cannot take a life without it impacting you personally.

That is true of every shot I have taken. Every animal I have killed was either vermin or food. I've never had to pull a gun on a human before but I am trained for that - both physically and mentally. Still I don't look forward to the need arising.

Aldi canned veg is 50 cents a can, or $6 a case of twelve, but a limit of 4 of each kind of thing. Aldi tuna was 68 cents a can, limit 6. You are paying high prices, PopPop. But I realize not everyone has an Aldi. Go online to Walmart.com, unless you're boycotting them this month. They have free delivery over $35.

No real beef with Walmart. What I really shy away from is "Product of China".

My thoughts are, if you threaten me or my family, then you are a candidate for death. Whether you end up living or dieing will depend on the situation and my subjective assessment of the threat level. e.g., Kick in my door and break into my house, not a whole lot of assessment needed there, I would shoot you dead on the spot. Stand in my front yard and scream "I'm going to kill you if you don't give me your supplies" will be situational. Be aware, you are never going to get any supplies if you "ask" like that. At the start of a SHTF scenario, this kind of behavior is most likely from desperation, is probably not a grave threat to me, and most likely you would be given the opportunity to leave my property alive. However, the time may come as the SHTF scenario goes on, behavior like this will indeed get you killed. It is my subjective call, there are no rules or precedents that I am forced to follow. I will decide based on that particular scenario on that particular day. My decision may be influenced by trivial things, like if I didn't sleep well the night before. Or how mean you look. Too bad for you. My recommendation is for you not to engage in risky behavior like this and think you are in any way protected. My plan is for trespassers to never know if they are going to go away with a donut, or a bullet. Keep 'em on their toes and on their best behavior.

I stopped buying the cans of mandarin oranges years ago when I found out they all came from China. Haven't checked on that recently so it might be different now. Most product pages have the info on where they come from. At the bottom of the Great Value page, a consumer asked if the tuna came from China. This was the response.

None of our Great Value Tuna is packed in China. The majority of Great Value Tuna is produced in either American Samoa (which is a territory of the United States) or Ecuador. While a small amount of our tuna is also packed in Thailand, all facilities must follow the same stringent United States government regulations as plants located inside the country.
by HelpPL

Great Value Chunk Light Tuna in Water, 12 oz - Walmart.com - Walmart.com

Getting back on topic, I'm not physically able to put up a defense against an intruder so I try not to keep weapons that could be used against me. Well, other than my kitchen knives. Even if I could, I'm not willing to trade my life for my supplies so I think it would depend on the circumstances. I've had a couple of instances when I was dealing with someone that I thought would or could kill me. The first instance, my daughter was with me. She and I both completely froze. Not a move, not a sound, not a breath. Turns out that was the correct response because after staring at me for a few minutes, visibly fighting his urge to attack me, he left.

Last edited:
At the bottom of the Great Value page, a consumer asked if the tuna came from China. This was the response.

None of our Great Value Tuna is packed in China. The majority of Great Value Tuna is produced in either American Samoa (which is a territory of the United States) or Ecuador. While a small amount of our tuna is also packed in Thailand, all facilities must follow the same stringent United States government regulations as plants located inside the country.
by HelpPL

Thank you very much for that!! Sincerely, I am definitely willing to give this a try knowing it's not coming from China. Only one other Great Value product I seek out is their Organic Brazilian whole coffee beans. We really like the flavor of those, more nutty flavor, less fruity flavor. Works well for us. I'll have to do more looking at the Great Value brand. I may have been dismissing things too quickly. I'm still gonna pass on the "made in China" stuff but it sounds like not all of it is.

If you can lift a gun you have the strength to put up a fight. I don't want you to trade your life for your supplies, I want you to stop the murdering character so you can keep your supplies and live well.
After they take your supplies do you think they will just walk away? There are worse things than dying ... and some of them are worth killing to prevent.

You might want to think real hard about this plan before you get very far into it. You'll be adding to his supplies in his house. In a worst case scenario, since it's in his possession what if he decides not to share? Are you willing to get in a shoot out with him to get your stuff back? It seems like you'd be better served to rent a small storage unit until you have a place of your own. It may seem like an unnecessary expense but might be cheaper in the end in so many ways.

If you do rent a storage unit, don't tell your friend or let him know where it's at. Just tell him you haven't had the money to start prepping yet and drop the subject. Remember that old saying about never going into business with family or friends? Same goes for food storage. Yes, I'm a cynic but, sadly, I'm often correct in my assessment of human nature.

Agree 100%.

I'd rather defend myself with a gun anytime over a kitchen knife. A kitchen knife would put me too close to an attacker, and that would be a last resort for me.

I didn't mean it was something I would use as defense. I was saying it's about the only thing in my house that could be used against me. Everyone I know has guns. I completely support and approve everyone's right to have weapons. I'm simply saying that with my current physical drawbacks, I've assessed my abilities and made a different choice.

I'd rather defend myself with a gun anytime over a kitchen knife. A kitchen knife would put me too close to an attacker, and that would be a last resort for me.
How are your knife throwing skills, Missy?

In Matthew 25 where the virgins with their oil lamps refused to share their oil with those who were not prepared lest they be without and not prepared...while it may not mean exactly the same thing as being prepared with your weapons, food, shelter and to take care of your family, it works for me.

You are supposed to help the less fortunate in need as part as living the faith.
A preacher I know said: A person is one of these three...

1) What's mine is mine and I shall keep it.

2) What's yours is mine and I shall take it.

3) What's mine is yours and I shall share it.

Then he said... Who you are is Your Choice

Mag

This topic has been discussed here before. I'm not trying to shut down this particular discussion, but just mentioning it so that you can see what the responses were then. I think this is the thread I am thinking of below. You'll probably find it interesting. I think there are other threads that discuss this as well.
https://www.homesteadingforum.org/threads/new-thoughts-on-the-showups.3742/

I think this is a great idea. However, if you are just starting, don't make the mistake of just buying a bunch of stuff that you'll likely never use. That's what I did when I first started. Make sure you buy what you like and will eat. I love Aldi, but there are some products they have that I just don't like. So, make sure if you stock up on stuff there, it's stuff you like and will eat. Also get stuff with a long shelf life since you are not storing it in your home. By the time you get around to eating it, it will be years.....likely not months. With that in mind, I would stick to dehydrated and canned things. Nuts, crackers, sauces, etc. will go bad before you can use them. In my experience, canned fruits and canned tomato products also do not last as long as canned beans and other veges. I have lots of canned kidney beans, pork and beans, stews, meats, tuna, soups, and even chef-boy-r-dee ravioli and spaghetti. I don't eat very much chef-boy-r-dee stuff anymore, but it is an easy meal in a can and they last pretty long.

I would also suggest trying to stock up your own personal pantry (where you live) first. Just start with a few cans of stuff here and there. With your own pantry, you can stock things that have a shorter life span too since you will be eating out of this pantry more often. I have popcorn, corn chips, salsa, nuts, spices, energy bars, etc. there. So, get yourself set up at home first and then stock the secondary spot. With that secondary spot, you could stock up a decent amount of stuff with $100 bucks. Buy a couple cases of Ravioli for $48, a couple case of green beans for $24, a case of tuna $12 and a half case of peanut butter $9. Also buy a couple of cases of bottled water, which will cost you about $6 at Aldi. It's not a lot, but it will get you by for a while......and it's a start.

As far a shooting anyone that moves.....I agree with AlaskaJohn. Most people who are saying they will shoot everyone, probably hasn't shot anyone before. The psychology aspect of it is real and shouldn't be ignored. I will not sell my soul to the Devil and let him invade my mind like that. If I was in a Walking Dead situation, I'd probably be one of the zombies. I won't go all 'dark' and Mad Max. Nope, I'd rather be dead. But then again, I'm a believer in God and think that when this life ends, I will go someplace better. It's a comforting feeling, especially considering I have it pretty darned good right now. Yup, God loves me. That's not to say that I won't shoot someone in self defense or someone who is forcefully trying to invade my home. I don't have guns and ammo just b/c I think they are pretty. It's one of those things that I'm glad I have but hope never to have to use.
Thanks I'm perfect content with that I tried to search but nothing came up with my key words I searched. Plus I already have a much better idea on what i want to do.

Exactly I never served or killed a person before but from the interviews of soldiers from the past wars and a different friend from one of the more recent wars i definitely am not looking to. My other friend has trouble falling asleep because that's when he has time to think and regrets some things he done there as a Christian. That's a lot of deep stuff to have on your mind.

Great I already bought a bunch of beans (currently I try to watch my carbs but in SHTF I'll be exercising so much that won't be an issue.) I did buy like 9 big cans of stewed tomatoes and was wondering about there acidity and shelf life so thanks for the heads up.

95% of my food comes from Aldi so I am familiar with what I bought. Although I rarely cook up dried beans I know I like the ones I bought.

I didn't go crazy on seasonings because they are only strong with flavor for like a year or 3. I do however want to by some salt.

I agree with that too. Gods in control I don't want to be "that" guy who has nothing and just expects him to do everything. We have a brain and tools for a reason. I also know I can't cheat death. I could die of a massive heart attack next to a fire with a full belly looking at a room full of food.

I was wondering how someone didn't ask a similar question already so thanks for the links!

We don't have a way to get our hands on tuna easily by way of fishing. Not much tuna to be had in central Tennessee waters. But I do have some peanut seed in my collection of seed that I'm intending to try out this coming year. Hey, I wanna try it, even if doesn't grow us all we need, I still wanna try it. Never know. It might make a difference. Everything we can grow and produce right here at home is something we don't have to buy. :)
Dang at Aldi yesterday cans of beans were $0.50 a piece, tuna (limit of 6) was under a dollar each. The healthier peanut butter I buy with no sugar (organic peanuts, peanut oil) is like $3.40 the cheap peanut butter same size I think is around a dollar to 1.50.

.........Back to the thread, as far as using force; that will always be a very personal decision and in my book killing is killing, you will have to account for your actions some day. You cannot take a life without it impacting you personally.
[/QUOTE]
Exactly. Everyone is responsible for themselves. I totally get that that's why I started to this to see where my thoughts are with others. They line up with many.

Aldi canned veg is 50 cents a can, or $6 a case of twelve, but a limit of 4 of each kind of thing. Aldi tuna was 68 cents a can, limit 6. You are paying high prices, PopPop. But I realize not everyone has an Aldi. Go online to Walmart.com, unless you're boycotting them this month. They have free delivery over $35.
Oh there you go that's what I payed for tuna. True I'm glad we have aldi's.

Latest posts

Back