So you have to bug out...

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sentry18

Thrivalist
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I don't know what calamity is coming your way, but you have two choices: bug out and survive or stay put and perish. You have little time, but fortunately you have a bunch of vehicles to choose from. The weather is the same as it is today and your circumstances are too. So if you have a big family like I do, you might need to take two vehicles. Choosing for the vehicles pictured below, which bug out vehicle or vehicles would you choose and why?

2019-10-27_1445.png

Can't come up with a reason to leave ..
But hypothetically, if I had to and had to choose one of those vehicles..I'd choose the white dually with camper ,
I could carry lots of stuff to live on.
Guns and ammo too. Nice sleeping quarters too.

Would demand a full tank of fuel, hopefully diesel.

Jim

I want an enclosed vehicle that is as "gray" as can be. It must be nimble and stable under most conditions and get at least 350 miles on one tank of fuel.
The closest to that in tte choices above is the pickup with the bed canopy. It would need large saddle tanks to meet the range requirements. The truck shown is a Chevy so I would trade it for a Ford F150 powered by a 302 with a 4 speed manual transmission.
In reality it would be a 1973 Ford Maverick with a 302 and built C4 automatic transmission. The 16 gallon tank will get me 350 miles as long as I don't have to race to get their. A spare 5 gallons will increase the range by just over 100 miles

White dually camper (with the bicycle thrown inside).

I thought about the old pickup for EMP-proof reasons, but if I have the only moving vehicle, I will be a target, so I'm making no effort to have an EMP proof vehicle. I'll be hiking with everyone else in that event.

I've been spending a lot of time the last few days surfing the web for an inexpensive vehicle-based camping option. Pickup truck with camper is not a bad option, so far.

Any of the three enclosed vehicles with a utility trailer behind it with one of these grocery carts for each family member, so when you meet the end of where you can drive, you can load up your grocery carts and continue from there. The grocery cart is the urban vehicle for many who are bugging out in the city already.

grocery cart.JPG

The jeep and green/white truck. Best suited for where I'd go and I can take enough with me for a good while. Assuming of course they were my vehicles and I was familiar with their maintenance status.

The Cherokee would be #1. The dually/camper #2. (Can't tell from the pic if it's a 4x4 or not.) The old Chevy is #3. (It's definitely 2WD so not optimal) #4 is the 4 wheeler and the motorcycle #5 with the bicycle last.

My main requirements for this would be 1) reliable, 2) 4x4, 3) carrying capacity.

no reason to leave here, most British preppers that know me say I have bugged out already because of my location.

Are we concerned about EMP? If so I am going with the old pick-up with the camper shell. If not I will go with the white dually. I want something enclosed where I can store lot of gear and supplies, and have a shelter. Also something a little higher off the ground that can handle bad roads or rugged terrain.

Latest posts

Back