Spring Ahead is Sunday, March 10!

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
old people need plenty of clocks..they are partially deaf and take lots of naps...lol.

senior-man-sleeping-picture-id79065252

but we cant forget the 1% of seniors !! never say die..never say quit..and push and push

1710040596851.jpeg

I feel your pain, 1/2 of my watches are right 1/2 the time, and the dates are never right :p. I just look for one thats close.
The best one I have is my 'atomic clock' that checks in with the national clock every hour and adjusts itself as needed. It is always accurate to the minute:
One you never have to set:
e3ed7612e2c25c46cdfc61925f0d1694.jpg

(notice in the middle it says "ATOMIC CLOCK", and the little antenna icon between the top of the '2 & 3').

Last edited:
The best one I have is my 'atomic clock' that checks in with the national clock every hour and adjusts itself as needed. It is always accurate to the minute:
One you never have to set:
e3ed7612e2c25c46cdfc61925f0d1694.jpg

(notice in the middle it says "ATOMIC CLOCK", and the little antenna icon between the top of the '2 & 3').
But it's March 10th, so your "perfect" clock is WRONG!

This morning my body clock sprung forward, so I got up at 04:00 "today's" time! Went to the 24 hour pharmacy and picked up the wife's meds, came home and fixed my breakfast, then replaced the batteries and set the time on all our old clocks, oven, and the microwave. Three hours later the wife gets up and I fix her breakfast. Then she asks me, "did you know that the time changed today?"

When I was werking I used to Love this time change as I always Knew Exactly where I was headed in the Morning(Straight to Work) and on the way home I never Knew until the last minute before departure from the Job where I would bee headed...!!! Don't like driving at night, I have no problem seeing where I'm going, it's the Ones out there that didn't know where I was going that bothered Me...!!! :chevy::blue truck:

I wish it would stay like this all year long.
Yeah, especially late in the year when the hours of daylight become shorter. :(
I was congratulating myself for getting the clocks all done so quickly (DW did hers because she likes them 5 minutes ahead).
Then I realised I had forgotten the timer for the Sleepmate, (the center of my universe!):oops:.

I'll get around to setting all the clocks later today.
I think there are 11 clocks, including the cars that I have to adjust.
It's not difficult like it is when I have to fall back.
The mantel clock takes me a long time to adjust, move the hands wait for it to chime every 15 minutes for an 11 hour adjustment.

Don't forget to replace the batteries in your smoke detectors.

The mantel clock takes me a long time to adjust, move the hands wait for it to chime every 15 minutes for an 11 hour adjustment.

Don't forget to replace the batteries in your smoke detectors.
I wait until one of them starts to chirp, and then do 'em all.
(Yes, they will let you know when the battery needs to be replaced).
The batteries we have today last much longer than back in the olden-days :thumbs:.

How many clocks do y’all have. We have 3 or 4 and could go without one of them but it’s on the radio. 📻
Most of our stuff sets it's own clock. Not the microwaves, not my wristwatch, and not the clocks in the cars.

In years past, I was a real time nerd. My watch had to be exact, to the second. So I'd often times be dialing 303-499-7111 to get the exact time (even more often than every 6 month time change - if I was off by one second, I needed to reset the watch!) Nowadays, I have tracked/tested/recorded/graphed my current wristwatch and I know it loses exactly 18 seconds over the six months between time switches. It's deviation in rate is spot on and linear (all quartz watches are like that). Therefore you would term it "precise", but not necessarily "accurate". However, 36 seconds a year is a typical accuracy for a quartz watch. Which really isn't bad at all when you think about it in practical terms.

So each semiannual time change I set my watch exactly 9 seconds fast. That way I know I'm always within 9 seconds of the actual time. And I can extrapolate during each six month period and come pretty dang close to actual time. As if that matters - but to a nerd it does! Also, knowing your watches precision and rate deviation is important if you routinely whip out your sextant to determine your position via celestial navigation. You've got to know the time of your sightings down to the second to get accurate plots of your location (learning CelNav is where I got into all this watch rate deviation measurement stuff).

Last edited:
So I'd often times be dialing 303-499-7111 to get the exact time (even more often than every 6 month time change - if I was off by one second, I needed to reset the watch!)
Can you still call that number and get the exact time? I do remember when we could call some number and find out what time it was. but I don't know if it was that number. That is a Colorado number.

Yes, that number still works. After decades and decades. Don't be surprised if you call it and all's you hear is some ticking. It starts announcing the time about 5 seconds before the seconds hit zero, then gives you a special tone at exactly zero. Then it goes back to quietly ticking (and nothing else) for 55 seconds. It will hang up on you after a few minutes, figuring if you haven't set your watch in this amount of time, you're just gonna have to call back. You don't get busy signals - the line can handle multiple callers simultaneously. It announces the time in "Coordinated Universal Time" (used to be called "Greenwich Mean Time") so you'll have to mentally adjust the hour part for our timezone.

I wait until one of them starts to chirp, and then do 'em all.
(Yes, they will let you know when the battery needs to be replaced).
The batteries we have today last much longer than back in the olden-days :thumbs:.
Actually I have one that started to beep this morning.
Even if they don't beep I replace them all every Fall.
Five batteries are cheap and I can use the old ones in other less important things like a radio.

Latest posts

Back