Spring Ahead is Sunday, March 10!

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Five batteries are cheap and I can use the old ones in other less important things like a radio.

I use old 9v smoke detector batteries to charge really dead car batteries (well, not directly). My battery charger has a "feature" where it won't start charging your cars battery until it detects that you have connected the cables correctly. It does this by sensing the polarity of the voltage from your connection. But what if your battery is so dead that there is no voltage to detect? In this case, the charger will refuse to begin the charging process. So I connect my charger and then use some wires to temporarily jumper my old smoke detector battery across my cars battery. The "smart" (???) charger then says, "Hey, I've got voltage, and it's the correct polarity!" and it begins the charging process as I remove the jumpered smoke detector battery fake.

I should just buy a car battery charger that has an override button for this "smart" polarity check, but I'm too cheap. My existing charger is a good one - save for this brain-dead "safety" feature it has. And I always have mostly dead 9v batteries laying around from smoke detector replacements (although my most recent smoke detector purchases use two AA batteries and my 9v detectors are slowly being replaced). Two AA batteries are a heckuva lot cheaper than one 9v battery BTW.

I use old 9v smoke detector batteries to charge really dead car batteries (well, not directly). My battery charger has a "feature" where it won't start charging your cars battery until it detects that you have connected the cables correctly. It does this by sensing the polarity of the voltage from your connection. But what if your battery is so dead that there is no voltage to detect? In this case, the charger will refuse to begin the charging process. So I connect my charger and then use some wires to temporarily jumper my old smoke detector battery across my cars battery. The "smart" (???) charger then says, "Hey, I've got voltage, and it's the correct polarity!" and it begins the charging process as I remove the jumpered smoke detector battery fake.

I should just buy a car battery charger that has an override button for this "smart" polarity check, but I'm too cheap. My existing charger is a good one - save for this brain-dead "safety" feature it has. And I always have mostly dead 9v batteries laying around from smoke detector replacements (although my most recent smoke detector purchases use two AA batteries and my 9v detectors are slowly being replaced). Two AA batteries are a heckuva lot cheaper than one 9v battery BTW.
I have a NOCO jump starter that has that feature.

I never change them. During the winter if the time is important, I subtract one. Today I just have to remember the clock is right again.
That is my method. The Princess looked at rhe clock in my vehicle and asked " Doesn't that bother you?" I said...

No, I know how to subtract 1.

Ben

Can you still call that number and get the exact time? I do remember when we could call some number and find out what time it was. but I don't know if it was that number. That is a Colorado number.
https://www.time.gov/

I decided to have a discussion about the time change with the dog. It did not go well at all.

I decided to have a discussion about the time change with the dog. It did not go well at all.
... I've been waiting for people to cheer that their solar panels now have one more hour of sun to produce power🤪.

Latest posts

Back