Storing stimulants

Help Support Homesteading Forum:

hiwall

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I am just curious if folks store stimulants (like coffee)? Coffee is likely the most popular followed by some teas that contain caffeine. Cocoa also has caffeine and would also work as a stimulant. Yes I do know yaupon does grow wild in the southeastern states.
I store coffee.
The reason I ask is if times get rough there will likely be times where you or others might be very tired but need to to stay alert for a time period where coffee or other stimulant might be a life saver.
Do you have a plan? Um, if you store cocaine, it might be best not to answer.
I realize that some religions do not allow any stimulants.

phideaux

Moderator-emeritus
Moderator Emeritus - former moderator
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
We buy bulk "Farmers Choice " coffee from Rural King.
Large bags .
We separate it into approximately 1 lb vacuum seal bags and freeze it.
All I know is , it's still good after 1 year before we replace it.

Jim

hiwall

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Besides being curious, I wanted to express the possible future need to have some kind of stimulants in the house. Just so everyone is as prepared as possible and not forget that in bad times we all might need something that we do not commonly need now.
We store instant coffee. It is said that instant lasts a very long time in storage.

Morgan101

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
We keep coffee in the freezer, but not large amounts. I don't drink nearly as much as I used to. It is more as a have it when friends come over, more than as a prep. I don't think either of us would miss it if it was gone.

Sparky_D

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I have about 2 cups of coffee daily through my Keurig, but I also have reusable pods, ground and whole bean coffee, electric and manual grinders, a couple French Presses, and two stove top percolators.
Most of the tea I have is caffeine free, but I do have a few sample bags of caffeinated loose tea I got for Christmas last year.

That all being said, in my BOB and GHB, I have about half a dozen instant Folgers packs and some caffeine pills (NoDoze).

jazzy

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
ive read that freeze dreid coffee lasts long than others. my brother buys bags of green coffee beans and stores in basement where its cool and dry til he needs some. then he pan roasts a batch, grinds it and stores in jar in fridge. he says its worth it.

ive got an instant i like and have a couple cups. but for stimulants there are also caffeine pills too. ive not tried them but know people whgo have for long haul driving

Spikedriver

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I drink coffee socially. I don't keep a whole lot at home. I've become a fan of Black Rifle Coffee Company - it's expensive but really good. I only keep one little bag on hand. There's a little tin of Folgers too. It probably has the consistency of sawdust by now.

Nicotine is a stimulant...just saying, not recommending. Tobacky could be useful to have for trade, or personal use if necessary...

Aerindel

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I don't store much coffee. I can take it or leave it as a drink.

I do store CAFFEINE. Caffeine and Advil are actually the only edibles I keep in my GHB. Take enough of those and you can feel like your 20 again, at least for a few hours for a mad rush to get back home.

Neb

Jack of all trades master of some
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Sea story time!

My division used to get a ration of coffee that came in a 5 or 10 pound tin. I was the only one that drank coffee so we never used what was issued. The Chief Petty Officer (CPO) had us stash the tins under the raised floor or the radar equipment room.

When the klystron tube in my radar (ANSP 58A) went bad logistics couldn't find one anywhere. A day latter the CPO told us to pull 2 of the tins we had stashed and the next day I got a new tube.

Anyone remember the Don Rickles character in Kelly's Heroes?

Ben

Amish Heart

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I like my cup in the morning, and one after lunch. But it's iced tea all day for me. Don't even care if it's winter. Husband, though, is a coffee nut. Two cups in the morning, two more after lunch, and a cup or so around 5 p.m. So this week he's trying half decaf and half reg after lunch and the 5 pm time. Don't know if this will help him cut back or not. Ha. He is used to coffee all day from working, is the problem.

hiwall

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I drink one coffee each morning for the boost. Sometimes if I am worn out by early afternoon, I will have a cup to energize me again. My wife is not a coffee drinker but occasionally she will add a bit to other drinks she likes just for the caffeine boost.
I actually do not care for the taste of coffee.

joel

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
It acquired the name Mormon tea because the beverage that was made from the steeping of the dried stems of the ephedra plant in boiling water was deemed not to violate the rules of the Church of Latter Day Saints (Mormon), whose people began to settle in what is now Utah in the mid-nineteenth century; Mormon people ...

joel

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I worked in a coffee/ tea plant for many years, both are blended for taste, before coffee is roasted, I hope your brother coffee is blended for his taste. Some pure coffee taste like mud, if not blended. Some teas are cloudily or bitter if not blended.

I've read that freeze dried coffee lasts long than others. my brother buys bags of green coffee beans and stores in basement where its cool and dry till he needs some. then he pan roasts a batch, grinds it and stores in jar in fridge. he says its worth it.

I've got an instant i like and have a couple cups. but for stimulants there are also caffeine pills too. ive not tried them but know people who have for long haul driving

Latest posts