Subterfuge and camouflage for the times we live in

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Biggkidd

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Does anyone else think about making your place look different than the reality?

I've had to do this twice in my life making my place look like it's less than it is and appearing to have nothing but junk. Both times were on account of having theft occur. Even where I live now we had a little trouble with things walking away until I changed the appearance of the place a little. Back in the city it was a much larger problem. But making things look rundown and or trashy seems to work wonders for deterring thieves and trespassers. If it appears you have nothing anyone would want then they stop bothering you.

Those of you who live in cities or towns really need to be thinking along these lines.

We live in a rural area that is either lower middle class, or poor folks.
The only crooks or bad people that would be casing the area would be meth freaks looking to steal a deer rifle to trade for their next hit.
The higher class people with late model vehicles and manicured lawns live on the east side of the county, either on the ocean or not far from it.

Last edited:
Does anyone else think about making your place look different than the reality?

I've had to do this twice in my life making my place look like it's less than it is and appearing to have nothing but junk. Both times were on account of having theft occur. Even where I live now we had a little trouble with things walking away until I changed the appearance of the place a little. Back in the city it was a much larger problem. But making things look rundown and or trashy seems to work wonders for deterring thieves and trespassers. If it appears you have nothing anyone would want then they stop bothering you.

Those of you who live in cities or towns really need to be thinking along these lines.
The biggest thing is, don't run your mouth about what you have.
I'm sure everybody has seen the video of NYC thugs using a Mercedes to do the 'pit maneuver' to rob a car carrying $20K in cash by now :( .
No, they didn't just pick it out as a random target; they KNEW the cash was in it because somebody ran their mouth.
Anybody driving by this place with the 2003 GMC p/u in front, will just drive by and mutter: "po-folk:(". :thumbs:

The biggest thing is, don't run your mouth about what you have.

Anybody driving by this place with the 2003 GMC p/u in front, will just drive by and mutter: "po-folk:(". :thumbs:
I have a 2002 F150. While picking up the water heater Saturday I was getting the rail gate to latch and The Princess was disturbed as chunks of rusted metal fell off the truck. ;)

Now she is talking about getting a newer one

Ben

From nearby US54, this subdivision looks like a straight-up ghetto, with a bunch of rundown or abandoned homes out front along the highway... great camouflage for those of us who actually live in somewhat nicer places tucked farther back in a corner of the subdivision. When I first rolled up, I thought, "Oh, hell, I actually bought a home here?!?" As some of you may remember, I bought this property from out of state, and I had to rely upon a home inspector's report prior to the purchase. But now that I'm here, I kind of like having that ghetto front out there by the road, for all the reasons you heroes have mentioned here, lol. As long as my property ultimately looks nice, I just don't give a damn anymore about what the neighbors do... luckily, my two nearest neighbors take good care of their homes & property, so it's not so bad back here in the pines. Any methhead driving past on US54 would keep the pedal to the metal, lol... no point in robbing po' folks!!! Aspiring robbers need to target the RICH, lol... start with the 'Billionaire Boys Club' and work yer way down, aye? All any robber will get here is a shotgun blast, lol... 00 Buck, of course. :oops:

P.S. When I lived in Coronado, a high-dollar real estate area (we were military, not rich, lol), my friends & I would joke about thieves coming to town to "shop"---and I actually had some stuff stolen too, which left me PO'd. We also caught a burglar who broke into our home... must have been a newbie to his profession to pick a weathered old beach cottage like ours, lol. "YO, DUDE, YOU WANT THE MANSIONS DOWN ON OCEAN BOULEVARD!!!" The poor dumb b@stard, lol. :confused:

Last edited:
We live a bit off the road so that you can't see anything when the leaves are on. When we have company over, they typically comment about how nice and secluded it feels, even though we have neighbors fairly close and we can hear them on occasion. In the winter, it doesn't really look like anything special. We live frugally. Things are neat and tidy, but certainly not 'upscale.' We are plain people and it shows.

We live in a rural area that is either lower middle class, or poor folks.
The only crooks or bad people that would be casing the area would be meth freaks looking to steal a deer rifle to trade for their next hit.
The higher class people with late model vehicles and manicured lawns live on the east side of the county, either on the ocean or not far from it.
I wonder how many meth heads stumble into pastures only to meet the local stud bull in a bad mood?
And is there much left when the wild hogs and coyotes have their way with his little broken booty? Does it make good fertilize or do the tomatoes give you an unexpected "zip"?

From nearby US54, this subdivision looks like a straight-up ghetto, with a bunch of rundown or abandoned homes out front along the highway... great camouflage for those of us who actually live in somewhat nicer places tucked farther back in a corner of the subdivision. When I first rolled up, I thought, "Oh, hell, I actually bought a home here?!?" As some of you may remember, I bought this property from out of state, and I had to rely upon a home inspector's report prior to the purchase. But now that I'm here, I kind of like having that ghetto front out there by the road, for all the reasons you heroes have mentioned here, lol. As long as my property ultimately looks nice, I just don't give a damn anymore about what the neighbors do... luckily, my two nearest neighbors take good care of their homes & property, so it's not so bad back here in the pines. Any methhead driving past on US54 would keep the pedal to the metal, lol... no point in robbing po' folks!!! Aspiring robbers need to target the RICH, lol... start with the 'Billionaire Boys Club' and work yer way down, aye? All any robber will get here is a shotgun blast, lol... 00 Buck, of course. :oops:

P.S. When I lived in Coronado, a high-dollar real estate area (we were military, not rich, lol), my friends & I would joke about thieves coming to town to "shop"---and I actually had some stuff stolen too, which left me PO'd. We also caught a burglar who broke into our home... must have been a newbie to his profession to pick a weathered old beach cottage like ours, lol. "YO, DUDE, YOU WANT THE MANSIONS DOWN ON OCEAN BOULEVARD!!!" The poor dumb b@stard, lol. :confused:
You make me curious, Wingnut. I have worked along US54 so many times, I have probably been right by your place and never knew it! Maybe even last February when we were near those towns that start with "C".

It's highly likely I'll be there again someday. If so I'll buy you a beer at White Oak...

Nope, my place is an old, good for nothing homestead in the middle of nowhere.

I live on the outer edge of the burbs in a former trailer park nature is slowly reclaiming. the place is neat-ish but it looks like trailer trash live here, and I do. 🤪
My reputation is enough to keep everyone at bay.

Our road from the main road has several small old houses and some mobile homes the first mile or so. Then you get out to what used to be a 200+ acre farm. Most lots are around 5 acres. When we bought our it was almost entirely pasture. In the 30 years since we bought the place I've planted around 1000 trees. Along the road I planted a triple row of white pines spaced 10 or so feet apart in all directions. Not all of them lived, but enough did to almost totally block the view of the road and cut down on road noise. I don't bother keeping up with the jones's and keeping everything nice and neat. One down the road there has been around 1000 houses built down on the lake. Big nice homes and a major target
So far so good. But I still want to be much farther out in the country than we are.

You make me curious, Wingnut. I have worked along US54 so many times, I have probably been right by your place and never knew it! Maybe even last February when we were near those towns that start with "C".

It's highly likely I'll be there again someday. If so I'll buy you a beer at White Oak...

Just saw your post, Spikedriver... I've never checked the odometer, but I reckon I'm 6 or 7 miles south of Alamogordo, and south of that tank farm on the west side of US54. You've probably seen that? That's my landmark, it tells me I'm getting close to the turnoff point, lol. Fortunately, I'm a mile or so off the highway as well, tucked back in a far corner of the subdivision with a rectangular 'windbreak' of pine trees around my home. It's not a bad location... if I had more money, I'd probably go back to the White Mountains of Arizona, but on the eastern end of the range this time, over by Alpine & Big Lake. I remember driving to Big Lake (which lies at 9000' elevation) and thinking, "Man, this is paradise!" :cool:

If you make it out this way, be sure to stop by, especially if you're stuck in a motel over the weekend or whatever. We can have a few beers & fire up the BBQ, plenty of room here... you can take the thumper for a spin too, just try not to dump it, lol. Maybe you should take the bike for a spin first, THEN drink beer, lol... ;)

Ah, I've been through there a few times, but never worked on the south side of Alamogordo. I have a vague recollection of that area. I've stayed at that nasty Economy Inn on the west side of 54 in Alamogordo a couple times - they charged $40 a night if you paid cash, back in 2017. It was close to Sonic and the Waffle Shoppe. If I'm ever down there again, you'll get a message in your inbox!

To heck with that dump, you can stay here for free... or for a small 'contribution' toward steaks & beers, lol. There's a separate room at the opposite end of the home, no worries. There's also a brand-new Pawleys Island Hammock and all kinds of field gear... but you're welcome anytime, you don't strike me as a tweekin' crackerhead, lol. ;)

This isn't a bad place, it's nice & quiet most of the time... had some couple arguing loudly this morning on the next street over from mine, sounded like they're heading for divorce. But it only lasted a couple of minutes before the guy drove off in a hurry... only reason I heard 'em was because I was outside watering the trees & plants. :confused:

Usually, it's just the wild birds chirping or singing in the trees, and some infrequent livestock noises: chickens, goats, horses, etc., but all far enough way to not be any kind of problem. I like hearing the stock, it has a nice rural sound to it, lol. Some weekends, good ol' boys tune up their rigs, but that's also infrequent and it doesn't bother me. :cool:

Latest posts

Back