Surgery done

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NannyPatty

nannypattyrn
Neighbor
Just letting you all know here because I can't seem to find where I posted before. My heel spur surgery is done successfully. It was pretty extensive and much needed according to the orthopedic surgeon . Now the recuperation begins. Learning to walk on crutches will be uh, shall we say "quite a feat in itself" I'm not the most coordinated person in the world!
Thank you all for the thoughts and prayers !

nannyPatty, glad it is over and all is well. Using crutches is always an issues. been there and done that TOO MANY time. Go slow and watch out for the stairs or steps. :good luck:

Rule #1 . About crutches: Don't use your armpits!!!
Adjust the hand holds so when your arm is completely stiff, the pit pads are and inch or two below your pits.
When you use the crutches, stiff arm them, so the pads aren't in your pits rubbing them raw.

Rule #1 . About crutches: Don't use your armpits!!!
Adjust the hand holds so when your arm is completely stiff, the pit pads are and inch or two below your pits.
When you use the crutches, stiff arm them, so the pads aren't in your pits rubbing them raw.
That's pretty much how they taught me at the hosp.

From experience,foot surgery is not a picnic. Do the PT if offered and don't push to hard. At least you don't have a "Man Card" to keep up! Lol!

@NannyPatty hope your recovery is coming along well although no doubt you will be in some pain.

Lesson 2 on crutches going down stairs - put both crutches on lower step and use crutches with stiff arm to gently swing your good foot onto the next step. I emphasise gently as when I first used them I swung my body out and landed on my butt :oops: , and believe me it hurts and the crutches ended up at the bottom of the stairs.

Thank you, all!! I have done very well, esp after the anesthesia fog wore completely off. I actually have had very little pain at all from the surgery, just from teaching old muscles new tricks to get around. I had a slight mishap in the night because I forgot my little flashlight and over shoot my scooter. My knee and elbow were a little bruised, but not bad. I have my 1st post op visit Thursday. I'll get the sutures out one day next week. Recovery is well underway!
Thanks for the prayers and thoughts!!

@NannyPatty hope your recovery is coming along well although no doubt you will be in some pain.

Lesson 2 on crutches going down stairs - put both crutches on lower step and use crutches with stiff arm to gently swing your good foot onto the next step. I emphasise gently as when I first used them I swung my body out and landed on my butt :oops: , and believe me it hurts and the crutches ended up at the bottom of the stairs.

OUCH!!
shocked-smiley.jpg

Or do like I did on stairs. . . sit down first then go either up or down on your bottom end. Its just way easier that way. I'm like Nanny Patty and scared I would break the other ankle using crutches.

Glad you are in recovery mode now. You got the hard part over and will only improve from here on out.

Latest posts

Back