The home of my dreams

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another thing people are doing around here are buying and assembling "steel building" homes. They usually buy old farms or acreages and out them up instead of a stick built house.

031a51cd59dee3e0f0ab90d5f43bd479.jpg

4306e9bae1f4c47ba8bbc045d7724744.jpg

I have been in a couple of them and the insides are usually quite amazing. Big wide open spaces.

View attachment 25871
These are not common in Iowa but they do exist. I've seen one that had what I would call a utility apartment in it - large, open space with concrete floor, kitchen on one wall, men's and ladie's bathrooms/showers on the other wall. It was intended originally for church youth group gatherings, as the open space was large enough for half court basketball and other games.

Sometimes I've seen shops with efficiency apartments in them. Makes a great Man Cave...

Another thing people are doing around here are buying and assembling "steel building" homes. They usually buy old farms or acreages and out them up instead of a stick built house.

View attachment 25860

View attachment 25861
This has become the biggest selling homes in my area.

There are several on my road, and they are really nice inside.

I even like the looks outside.
Look more like pole barn.

Jim

You drill holes through the logs above the rotten logs, place heavy rods through the holes, and jack the house up. After replacing the logs you lower the house and plug the holes. It is a PITA and expensive.

Last edited:
You drill holes through the logs above the rotten logs, place heavy rods through the holes, and jack the house up. After replacing the logs you lower the house and plug the holes. It is a PITA and expensive.
I think I would rather just stick build and then use half logs inside and out. Friends from church did that, and it is absolutely stunning. Still a lot of work treating the wood over and over though. They have a stone foundation so the bottom logs are off the ground, to help with the rotting...

I think I would rather just stick build and then use half logs inside and out. Friends from church did that, and it is absolutely stunning. Still a lot of work treating the wood over and over though. They have a stone foundation so the bottom logs are off the ground, to help with the rotting...
Too true, but that wasn't the question. I'd prefer to have a stone house but the quakes around here prohibit that.

Thats a beautiful place, but I don't want that much house. The folks' ranch was 72 miles from the grocery store, 20-30 miles of dirt road. The ranch I worked on- had to take a little dirt road off the main dirt road and go 12-13 miles back in. On a clear day one could see OR, ID, WA, and NV. Solitude doesn't bother me. 10 miles from the closest neighbor is just about right :). Where do you find these pix?

@Sentry18 they are called shed homes here where they deck out sheds as houses and I have seen a few nice ones but metal frames do move considerably depending on the area. I like the larger home with the veranda but would want it all on one level and without so many stairs at the front.

@phideaux I like the log cabins as well and the 10 mile from nearest neighbours would be fine by me again if the living area was all on one level.

I'd need that to be the size of the kitchen.
Indeed. That might do for a weekend getaway cabin, but I'm a fan of running water, and I don't see any space for a bathroom there. I'm definitely not walking to an outhouse on a January night! And if that's the water supply, I hope there's no cow pastures upstream...

Latest posts

Back