The home of my dreams

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1662057946823.png

That is idyllic!

But where would our books, tools, and preps go ?

A 30x30 out building?

Ben

In your two story secret basement bunker that is twice the size of the house, and nobody knows it is there but you.

First floor underground looks like a normal basement, tools, books, storage. Second floor underground is where the good stuff is; the secret stash of food water, security, gear, all your preps.

Come on guys and gals! It's a dream house, right? So let's dream big. :dancing:

If that's the home of your dreams I am NOT coming to clean it!😁

Remember the little Jewish man looking at the palace? "Wonder what it costs to paint this place?"

Shhhhhh, don't tell everyone how I work!!😁
I was on the hairy edge of asking you to clean my house, but now you say your method is the same as mine. It's good to know my methods are the same as the pros. 🤪

Remember the little Jewish man looking at the palace? "Wonder what it costs to paint this place?"
A long time ago, a friend of mine bought a Ferrari. He was showing it off to me, and said that it holds its value, so he could sell it any time, and get all his money back. (I knew he didn't have an income that made a Ferrari a reasonable purchase.)

I said, "Wow. ... But, the insurance must be something else on this."

He just stopped motionless, and looked at me, saying nothing for a few seconds. Then he continued showing off the car.

He sold it 6 months later.

In hindsight, I might have been a better friend if I'd stopped at "Wow."

A long time ago, a friend of mine bought a Ferrari. He was showing it off to me, and said that it holds its value, so he could sell it any time, and get all his money back. (I knew he didn't have an income that made a Ferrari a reasonable purchase.)

I said, "Wow. ... But, the insurance must be something else on this."

He just stopped motionless, and looked at me, saying nothing for a few seconds. Then he continued showing off the car.

He sold it 6 months later.

In hindsight, I might have been a better friend if I'd stopped at "Wow."
I try (and usually succeed) to avoid 'hindsight', because there's always an ass in it.

Call me pessimistic? Realistic?
I see a lot of problems at just the first glance:
1) no drawbridge! Or moat?
2) by the time you reel that fish halfway, it will fall off the hook?
3) erosion! Note the terraces in the back drop? I know you ain't getting a cat up there at that angle. That means manual labor!

I dunno... it's not so bad, lol. 😎
Welp . . . When I was a kid - in Vermont, in the '40s - and the 'difference in attitude in the fall' between ants and grasshoppers was suggested to me, I was suitably impressed. Autumn is great, but winter is coming. Winter in Vermont can be great for a kid too - if his folks have their s**t together.
That color in the trees means to old-Vermonter me that winter's coming. That cabin in that field, in a few feet of snow, looks like hard times.

Can't help it, Wingnut; grew up in a Vermont hillbilly family, only a few years removed to town.

Welp . . . When I was a kid - in Vermont, in the '40s - and the 'difference in attitude in the fall' between ants and grasshoppers was suggested to me, I was suitably impressed. Autumn is great, but winter is coming. Winter in Vermont can be great for a kid too - if his folks have their s**t together.
That color in the trees means to old-Vermonter me that winter's coming. That cabin in that field, in a few feet of snow, looks like hard times.

Can't help it, Wingnut; grew up in a Vermont hillbilly family, only a few years removed to town.
A little off track here, but reminds me of another story. That you shared is not something we think about when seeing a pretty picture. We automatically picture a road nearby and an automobile somewhere out of the pix. I love to quilt. I heard a story a gal told about quilting. When she was learning, it really upset her mom and her mom discouraged her from it. Come to find out some time later, her mom said when she was growing up you only made quilts if you were poor otherwise you would buy a bed covering. It's all in perspective. I still like cabins, but would prefer a modern fireplace or wood stove rather than the old kind that the heat went strait up the chimney and proper chinking rather than some sticks and mud that failed often etc.

This thread is The home of my dreams, and in my dreams there is no reason to bug out, the firewood supply is always abundant, and there is never miserable weather. And no leftists morons.

If you're talking about bug-out locations, I might want something mobile like this:
1667162422431.png

But I'd repaint it and probably add a few things.

It still wouldn't hold anywhere near what my house can hold, but it does have the advantage of being pretty solid and it's probably able to get through some nasty terrain.

Latest posts

Back