The home of my dreams

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This thread is The home of my dreams, and in my dreams there is no reason to bug out, the firewood supply is always abundant, and there is never miserable weather. And no leftists morons.

If you're talking about bug-out locations, I might want something mobile like this:
View attachment 97125
But I'd repaint it and probably add a few things.

It still wouldn't hold anywhere near what my house can hold, but it does have the advantage of being pretty solid and it's probably able to get through some nasty terrain.
Love them old UniMog's. I'd love to have one, but they ain't cheap

They need fuel to be mobile and they are a poor house without being mobile.

Here ya go @LadyLocust I know you like small houses. Both were labeled as Norway.

Norway h01.jpg

Miracles happen and some dreams come true. Got the foundation (full basement) done a week ago and the logs and framing supplies will start to get dropped next week. Hope to have it dried in before New Years. Building on one of my ridges overlooking the ponds that were built in the valley.
1670509412306.png

Here ya go @LadyLocust I know you like small houses. Both were labeled as Norway.

View attachment 99799
That would be stunning with a slate roof. Not sure I could really go for the live roof thing. The rest looks perfect. Hey, just had a thought - fence off the roof and keep the bunny up there 😂

I'm not mowing the roof!!😮
Put a goat up there. He'll keep it mowed for you.

Renowned survival expert, Cody Lundin, has an earth home with grass growing on it. He says that jackrabbit live on it and he hunts or traps them for food. So, your roof could be a dual purpose roof - food and shelter! 😉

You folks have got me thinking about the home my closest friend in this world wanted to build. He died of cancer, way before his time, but he had the house pretty much worked out in his head and on paper - and was living in its cellar-hole when the cancer took him. Post & beam, with a sort of planed log walls/siding that he found in a book, with a name and details I don't remember now, though he discussed it with me enough so I was glad for the beer on hand. Wish I could have helped him build it. Maybe in some other, better world I did.

Prices are still pretty crazy in my part of montana. Hopefully they will level out and start going down from the covid peak. We suffer from low population density, tv shows, and good high speed internet so the people from the coast can come here with bags of cash and still work from home.

One of my dream houses is a 30 foot diameter dome I put together from a prefab kit that passed building codes. Very cozy and strong but in the wrong location. The ten sided "Yogan" (part yurt part hogan) I built on our first montana property was simple and strong and built with standard sized lumber and sheeting. Each side was eight feet with built in place small trusses to the center support. It is still standing after the forest fire but the forest is gone so we left also.
Our current one acre ranchito is a well built house from the 70's with a great southern alignment and five bedroom two baths. The half basement is a plus for many reasons and it already has two masonry chimneys. We bought it in 2004 for $118K and this year similar houses in the area are going for $400K. We will see how high the taxes go in the next few years.
This place will do for our dream house since it is not too close to any large population areas (more than a tank of gas to anyplace with over 110K population), the town of 35K is 12 miles away with all the modern convivences and at our age the idea of doing a remote homestead has lost it's luster.

Could be a great guesthouse. I like the building stone (as opposed to the big corner and chimney stones). I like them too, but it looks like it's probably of better quality than first appears.
I'd love to see the look on my MIL's face when I tell her she's staying out there!😃

Look close, its moss. LOL
If it were actually my bunker, the only thing you'd see is the shine off the rifle scope. I'd have the front of that thing grown up in ivory bushes, holly and saw briars!

Latest posts

Back