There are only a few things I know with more certainty than this...

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have noticed a few tempers flaring lately. This is my only social media anywhere.

I think what your seeing lately is very heated ,debate, discussion getting a little carried away.

I've been on many forums over the years...and I'm with Tacitus...this is no doubt , hands down , best of the bunch.

Jim

I think what your seeing lately is very heated ,debate, discussion getting a little carried away.

I've been on many forums over the years...and I'm with Tacitus...this is no doubt , hands down , best of the bunch.

Jim
I agree. But I believe it also has to do with administrators and moderators not putting up with stuff from those who want to act up here. In situations, things have to be reigned in, pronto, or things and people get out of hand.

There seems to be more discord on here than there is normally.
Some people have very strong opinions about certain issues and they feel the need to press their position. Arguing on the internet is a waste of time and energy. When the back and forth arguing gets more than I want to read I just put people in a timeout. That's what the ignore option is for.
That said, there are some interesting people here and I have enjoyed this site more than most places. Most of us get along and I suspect we would in real life. There are a lot of people here I would like to sit and talk with but most are too far away for that to ever happen.

IMHO the key is showing respect for each other. You can respectfully disagree without attacking or getting ugly. As long as we are respectful we can keep things civil. I have not seen that in many other groups.

IMHO the key is showing respect for each other. You can respectfully disagree without attacking or getting ugly.

Precisely!

I think social media, FB, Twitter et al are the big reason for the keyboard commandos, they can type out something without fear of a punch to the snot locker. I think about it in those terms, I wouldn't type something out on here or anywhere that I wouldn't say straight to anyone's face. It really isn't that difficult to remain civil.

There seems to be more discord on here than there is normally.
Some people have very strong opinions about certain issues and they feel the need to press their position. Arguing on the internet is a waste of time and energy. When the back and forth arguing gets more than I want to read I just put people in a timeout. That's what the ignore option is for.
I have been trying to come up with a way to say this in a diplomatic way and have been vacillating whether I should say anything at all. Some of you are very aware that one person has gone after a few people on here, particularly women and myself included, and has felt the need to respond to every post by everyone. Some people have almost quit posting because of it, and some of you have told me so. Eventually, such people need to be gone. They are toxic bullies and have no place in a forum like this. Moderating them takes diligence and takes away from all the potentially positive conversations we could be having here.
There are ways of disagreeing with people in ways that are not negative. It makes for the potential of all of us learning when we offer our different point of view in a way that people want to listen to. Not everything needs to be responded to nor is meant to be an argument or debate, but some people thrive on disagreeing with others. Some also feel the need for attention.

When I was teaching, I would listen to upset people in the staff lounge and then I would bring the concerns up in faculty meetings. I got labeled as the person who was always finding the negative. I actually was bringing other people's concerns to the attention of the principal, who really was not present in dealing with challenges in many places. I rarely brought up a concern without bringing up potential resolutions. Some people know when something isn't right, but cannot seem to get past how to resolve it. It is easier for many to complain than to problem solve.

Some of you are very aware that one person has gone after a few people on here, particularly women and myself included, and has felt the need to respond to every post by everyone. Some people have almost quit posting because of it, and some of you have told me so.

Don't forget the ignore function, it can be a handy tool in instances like that, however, you would still see it if someone else "quotes" them.

Administrators and moderators goal is to keep it one big happy family.

Civil debate is fine.
Arguing not so much.
Bickering not at all.
Name calling will have consequences.

Here ya go..
Rules 7 and 8

7. Personal attacks and insults will not be tolerated. When replying to a post, your own post must be about the subject matter in which you are replying, not the individual poster themselves. Any personal remark about another poster that - in the judgment of forum staff - could reasonably be regarded as an intentional insult in the context of that discussion will be subject to editing, deletion and/or a warning. Please keep in mind that simply saying something that's not very nice is not necessarily an insult, nor does the fact that you are offended necessarily mean that you have been insulted.

8. Discussion relating to Politics and Faith are permitted only in those specific sections and will be closely monitored and moderated. Consider both of these areas to be thin ice. Lively and appropriate discussion and debate will be permitted, but community standards and expectations for personal attacks, appropriateness of content, flaming, trolling, etc. will be strictly enforced.
When replying to a post, your own post must be about the subject matter in which you are replying, not the individual poster themselves. Any personal remark about another poster that - in the judgment of forum staff - could reasonably be regarded as an intentional insult in the context of that discussion will be subject to editing, deletion and/or a warning. Please keep in mind that simply saying something that's not very nice is not necessarily an insult, nor does the fact that you are offended necessarily mean that you have been insulted.

8. Discussion relating to Politics and Faith are permitted only in those specific sections and will be closely monitored and moderated. Consider both of these areas to be thin ice. Lively and appropriate discussion and debate will be permitted, but community standards and expectations for personal attacks, appropriateness of content, flaming, trolling, etc. will be strictly enforced.

Jim

Don't forget the ignore function, it can be a handy tool in instances like that, however, you would still see it if someone else "quotes" them.
Oh, you'd better believe I have some people on ignore. (deleted a bunch of unnecessary comments I wrote here)

Yes, when they get quoted, I can see what they have posted, but it has helped for my peace of mind. I wonder if it makes it worse for the attacking people though? Does it enrage them more when you are no longer available to be attacked or poked at?

I know there are many great people here, but like the world, there will always be some not so great people here as well.

Again, it takes our great admins and mods to keep things under control and they have worked hard to keep the peace here.

Last edited:
I didn't know there was an ignore button - where is it? I don't have anyone in mind, just didn't know it even existed 😜
If I wanted to ignore @LadyLocust , click on ignore, after I clicked on her avatar/name.

Screenshot_20210421-141835~2.png

Jim

Even if I disagree with someone on this forum...even vigorously disagree...there is no group I'd rather have around me as things come crashing down.

I disagree with people on other forums, and I can't say that about the people on those forums.

Stay strong, one and all!

I agree. To a point. This is the internet. There are people that do not disagree and there is nothing wrong with that. The problem these days to me seems to be the "ignore" function. If one has a different opinion but still "needs" to be "heard" anyone disliking can simply block any future interaction. All well and good and to be sure there are a few times that might be needed.

When did the human race become so trivial, so unable to carry a conversation even while disagreeing, so reliant on ignoring human interactions. There are some "internet warriors" around for sure. Personally I will speak face to face my opinions without fear of reprisal. That is the America I knew at one point.

If you disagree with ME that is YOUR right. If I disagree with YOU, that is MY right. Today everyone seems to be offended. Thats not my place to judge. I fell into that trap awhile back. I will speak my opinion even when I risk being ignored, banned, or whatever else. Farcebook jail.... really? Thankfully I never wasted time with social media other than forums.

I do vigorously disagree with a few members here. None of them are blocked. They have their opinion as do I and in the end, we are all correct, unless you are from the gov here to help me, in which case you are already ignored... ;)

I agree. To a point. This is the internet. There are people that do not disagree and there is nothing wrong with that. The problem these days to me seems to be the "ignore" function. If one has a different opinion but still "needs" to be "heard" anyone disliking can simply block any future interaction. All well and good and to be sure there are a few times that might be needed.

When did the human race become so trivial, so unable to carry a conversation even while disagreeing, so reliant on ignoring human interactions. There are some "internet warriors" around for sure. Personally I will speak face to face my opinions without fear of reprisal. That is the America I knew at one point.

If you disagree with ME that is YOUR right. If I disagree with YOU, that is MY right. Today everyone seems to be offended. Thats not my place to judge. I fell into that trap awhile back. I will speak my opinion even when I risk being ignored, banned, or whatever else. Farcebook jail.... really? Thankfully I never wasted time with social media other than forums.

I do vigorously disagree with a few members here. None of them are blocked. They have their opinion as do I and in the end, we are all correct, unless you are from the gov here to help me, in which case you are already ignored... ;)
I agree G. Hubby and I have talked about that before too. Why can't folks disagree and still talk about a subject, ask questions, well what about, and sum up I don't agree? The end. No names or bashing or whatever.

I agree G. Hubby and I have talked about that before too. Why can't folks disagree and still talk about a subject, ask questions, well what about, and sum up I don't agree? The end. No names or bashing or whatever.

I suppose its the world we live in. We have allowed those in "power" to circumvent our rights, to turn us against each other. WE have lost rights, friends, and family over the current demons pushed on us in our "best interest". Some of us will step up. If we help one person, we have shown what America is about.

BTW, probably not appropriate but a thought. Let me know if this doesnt belong here or is not wanted and I will remove it. Just seems to fit for some reason.

I don't have anyone on ignore, although there are times when I just sweep over some posts. I also don't look at all the threads on the forum. Some topics I am just not interested in and other times, I just don't have the time. So, I can't really comment on any drama that may occur on the entire site, but from what I have seen, that's fairly rare. Any disagreements I have seen (or have been involved in) have been relatively civil. Disagreements cause a rational person to defend their position with facts, which is a good exercise for the brain and also may cause a change in thought processes. I have learned much on this forum on several topics, thanks to all the wonderful input here. A little drama is not necessarily a bad thing.

Thanks for the above video Guardian. It sure does put life in perspective. I'm glad you stayed on this forum. I look forward to your contributions and was sad when I thought you might leave. I agree that hearing a differing opinion is a good thing. Having a conversation about difficult issues is necessary if any of us want to make a difference. There's many ways to serve this country, including verbally standing up for liberty when you see it being attacked. Our soldiers put the most on the line for all of us, but that does not mean we don't have roles to play as well......even if only spreading truth on the web.

It's funny.....I don't know anyone on this forum personally (at least that I know of), but if we had a big ole' party/potluck, I think we'd all have a grand time. I'd really like to meet many of you. I can tell you're my kind of people......even the one's I don't always agree with. ;)

One thing I'm grateful to the moderators for is keeping the spam under control. Trolls don't bother me so much, but spam is akin to robo calls....just a waste of time.

Some of you may know me as an Admin on a different forum. The arguing there and belittling is INSANE. When I reprimand, everyone says it’s the ‘other guy’ who started it. I’ve started browsing her for its civility and sanity, not to mention I like animals, gardening, nature, crafting and cooking. After I’m done in the other forum I come here for calmness and sanity. I was active here a looooong time ago but just recently returned.

Some of you may know me as an Admin on a different forum. The arguing there and belittling is INSANE. When I reprimand, everyone says it’s the ‘other guy’ who started it. I’ve started browsing her for its civility and sanity, not to mention I like animals, gardening, nature, crafting and cooking. After I’m done in the other forum I come here for calmness and sanity. I was active here a looooong time ago but just recently returned.
I belong to a few forums, but am certainly most active here. I have no idea which forum you administrate on, but one of the oldest and most active forums was sold in the last year. THAT group can be so nasty. There is so much name calling and responding to other people in negative ways. I have had a few posts there where a couple of people were just nasty. New Yorkers evidently think is the way to disagree. Not me. It has certainly kept me from being very active in THAT group. Not all of us stay away from such negativity, but I do. You don't know me, but decide that I need to be called names and have no idea what I am talking about, so you feel the need to put me down? Nope!

I can ignore posts all on my own. I don't need a button. There are a couple of people whose tactics I disagree with but even they post rational thoughts at times. I would miss those if they were on ignore.

I won’t reveal what other forum I’m on but there are a few here who probably know. I’m not here to bash my ‘home’ forum because I love it no matter what.

I just don’t understand people who insist you think the same way they do. Mostly I just shrug my shoulders and move on to a different thread. But every once in a while I feel I need to defend someone.

Latest posts

Back