There are only a few things I know with more certainty than this...

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree G. Hubby and I have talked about that before too. Why can't folks disagree and still talk about a subject, ask questions, well what about, and sum up I don't agree? The end. No names or bashing or whatever.
Strangely (perhaps), most of my older friends disagree with me politically. I have a bunch of friends from college. We formed very solid bonds. We formed those bonds before the nation became toxic when it came to politics. We used to debate any issue...politics, religion, the most fundamental issues...and then we hung out as friends afterward. We still get together. Some of them have, over time, become totally insane when it comes to politics...and I mean possessed insane...it is so weird. They drove me away from Facebook...I like them when they they don't behave like caricatures of their political party...and most of the time they are not...they just become that way on Facebook. As long as I only interact with them in real life...personally...things are great...and I remember why I would fly across the country to help them in their moment of need.

Tacticus.....you recited exactly why I don't do Fakebook! That, and I really don't care what my high school classmates are doing now or what they believe. Those that I care about, I still keep in touch with in person. The rest are just part of my yearbook. We were brought together by chance. I know that sounds kinda cold, but if I didn't like them then, I highly doubt I will like them now. Either way, I'm happy with my life now......I don't need to look back to find connections or some distorted sense of happiness....and this is coming from a very nostalgic gal.

Tacticus.....you recited exactly why I don't do Fakebook! That, and I really don't care what my high school classmates are doing now or what they believe. Those that I care about, I still keep in touch with in person. The rest are just part of my yearbook. We were brought together by chance. I know that sounds kinda cold, but if I didn't like them then, I highly doubt I will like them now. Either way, I'm happy with my life now......I don't need to look back to find connections or some distorted sense of happiness....and this is coming from a very nostalgic gal.
Many of the people I went to h.s. with I had also gone to kindergarten with, and all the way through school and h.s. My first friends are still my friends and facebook friends. I don't see them often, but we stay connected through facebook. We have a few hometown groups: class of ___ group, high school alumni, home town page, history of hometown and county and more. Some of the people are relatives as well. I attended three colleges and am friends with a few college friends as well. We live in different parts of the country and connect on facebook, It is through facebook that I have learned of their lives, their spouses, children, deaths, marriages, illnesses, and more. Facebook is not a place for me to be about politics (YUCK!) or other stuff. It is a place for me to stay connected because we have many, many miles between us.

I have no friends. I have family and I had coworkers but the only friend I really had betrayed me and I haven't seen or spoken to him since.
I couldn't even name a person I went to school with. We moved so much I never had a chance to make long-lasting friends.
If it weren't for my wife I would probably be a hermit living in a cave far away from other people.

You know when things are going rough and people send you their prayers, or they let you vent and give you positive feedback, those are friends. Now there is a difference between close friends, like here's my last $10s kind of friends and people who you like and would help if you could. I would like to be able to say that although I don't know most of the people on this site personally, I would still feel good about calling them (you) friends.

Just saying...

I have also left several forums due to the pettiness,name calling,attacks on someone's dignity, integrity.
I may not always agree with your point of view.
But I would rather be here than some of the other forums.
I use Face book for family and friends connections that are far away.
Quilt patterns, recipes,knitting machine advice.

People will remember how you made them feel.jpg

The older you get.JPG

I joined this community about a week ago. I checked out as a guest and saw friendly, honest members. This is an enjoyable place! It's nice little get away when I get a moment to sit and relax. I can interact with my 'friends' and not have to leave my wonderful home or cater to guests. Also very educational.

I have two special stickers on my old motorcycle helment:
"The more people I meet, the more I like my dog."
"The rat race is over, and the rats have won."
Actually, I like people, but, at 74 years of age, if you show me disrespect, I'm on you like like stink on road kill.

I have two special stickers on my old motorcycle helmet:
"The more people I meet, the more I like my dog."
"The rat race is over, and the rats have won."
Actually, I like people, but, at 74 years of age, if you show me disrespect, I'm on you like like stink on road kill.
If someone shows me disrespect, they are not in my sphere of friends or people I value any more. Start a thread about me, and hate on me there? Well, really not a good idea. Ignored! Be duplicitous and backstab me? Again, on the ignored list. I have never understood why people play this game, of smiling in your face and stabbing you in the back. That wreaks of narcissism to me.

I like many people, but I do not revere anyone and I could easily live life as a hermit. I am an introvert. Be kind and we can get along. Have a problem with me? Have a private conversation with me and we might be able to resolve it, if you are willing and able to listen. Can't or won't listen? Why bother? Want to just throw insults? Bye-bye!
Want to be worshipped? There is only one who gets worshipped in my eyes. The triune God!

And dogs can be so loyal.

There is a line in "Pride and Prejudice" that says something to the effect of The more I know of people, the more I am disappointed. I totally agree with that. I am not a people person (though am not mean). I don't have a great tolerance for the impractical. Weedy, I too could be a hermit. After about 3 weeks alone, I am ready to face another person, but it takes at least that long for me to get the yuk of human nature out of my system. That said, once in a while in life, you run across a truly genuine person, and it's amazing how they don't trigger this reaction.

The more I know of people, the more I am disappointed.
I believe that was Elizabeth Bennet's line, and I was surprised, because she seems to get along with most people, at least to their face, except for Mr. Darcy, until she does. LOL! When Darcy professes his love and admiration to her and then proposes to her after being so unkind, or seemingly unkind and hostile to her, and she gives it to him, so good. She was brought up to very politely decline people and never insult them, until that moment. "I am not inclined to dance now, thank you." Now, Mr. Wickham and Mr. Collins, yeah, so disappointing. The Bingley sisters? Such snobs and so unkind, and Elizabeth keeps smiling and being kind, but she knows who and what they are.

Sorry, went down one of my rabbit holes. Jane Austen's writing and movies from her books are favorites of mine.

IMHO the key is showing respect for each other. You can respectfully disagree without attacking or getting ugly. As long as we are respectful we can keep things civil. I have not seen that in many other groups.

Many of those here came in from other forums that went down I think we got the best of those members.
Some people can't debate in a civil manner if they feel its personal. We live in a different world and totally different nation and time,so debates can get hot. Compared to other sites I've been on people here try to be tolerant of others beleifs.
But many conservatives now are caught between family and politics. Free speech to them is an attack. Thanks goodness we only have a couple here who seems to feel that way. I have found myself apologizing at times for being rude in some threads.
I take breaks now and then from all social media and forums.

Only had one person on ignore and took them off.

That was me wasn't it Meer... 😈

Actually probably not and I really try to be good. I just tend to speak my mind which sometimes is not a good thing. In my world though. I speak my piece, right or wrong, and deal with the aftermath. Sometimes I learn a few things and other times I actually sway someone to see my point. Its all good no matter what. Some days I'm just cranky or maybe more cranky than usual. :waiting:

That was me wasn't it Meer... 😈

Actually probably not and I really try to be good. I just tend to speak my mind which sometimes is not a good thing. In my world though. I speak my piece, right or wrong, and deal with the aftermath. Sometimes I learn a few things and other times I actually sway someone to see my point. Its all good no matter what. Some days I'm just cranky or maybe more cranky than usual. :waiting:

No not you Guardian. :)Only one person in past `1years though. But took them off.

I always listen to others viewpoints and opinions. If I don't agree or not my belief then I'll agree to disagree and hope the other person can do the same. I find it interesting to hear what other people think and why. I have reasons behind my beliefs and try to be considerate that everyone else does too!

After reading all your responses I took the people off my ignore list. I will try to be tolerant. We will see how it goes.
I try to be tolerant, but I refuse to be disrespected at the same time.
That being said, I have one person on my ignore list.
Will I ever remove that one person from my ignore list?
I doubt it.

I try to be tolerant, but I refuse to be disrespected at the same time.
That being said, I have one person on my ignore list.
Will I ever remove that one person from my ignore list?
I doubt it.
One open mind isn't,
I guess yall haven't noticed that I'm very opinionated? Which can lead to all kinds of things,misunderstanding ,anger,etc,etc,etc. So I have to be careful or somebody is going to get upset. :dunno:
Opinionated = ok. Disrespectful=not ok.

Latest posts

Back