Tips of all kinds!

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And.....eye contact and speak slowly, lip reading!
Sage advice, and so easy to do. :)
When I am 10' away, wife talks at the same volume as if I was standing right in front of her. She also does this facing in the opposite direction.
If she faces me, I can understand every word (lip reading helps).
I have been thinking about a cheap pair of aids for a few years.
I know I don't need much help because with my amplified shooting muffs on, I hear just fine.

Speaking too fast. Daughter is young and energetic and talks so fast with all the words stuck together, even when facing me, I can't understand most of it. Like:
"Ithinkweshouldparkontheothersideofthebuildingbecausewhentheparadegoesbyitwillbehardtogetout".

When I am 10' away, wife talks at the same volume as if I was standing right in front of her. She also does this facing in the opposite direction.
I know I don't need much help because with my amplified shooting muffs on, I hear just fine.

Speaking too fast. Daughter is young and energetic and talks so fast with all the words stuck together, even when facing me, I can't understand most of it. Like:
"Ithinkweshouldparkontheothersideofthebuildingbecausewhentheparadegoesbyitwillbehardtogetout".
easy to read, but impossible to lesson to.
I have that problem with New Yorkers all my life.

My ex used to talk away from me just so she could yell at me when I said, "What?" Facing someone when you talk to them is vital. I don't have much hearing loss, a little in my left ear from playing the drums and from shooting. On my bi-annual hearing tests for work I show just a little loss. But I have a hard time distinguishing words from background noise. When a person talks away from me, it all blends together in a muddled mess...

Man, all of you make me feel so young. I'm probably the youngest member of this forum.
That would be my son AMC. :)

Back to tips:
the 3-minute microwave egg sandwich style.
I have a special piece of Tupperware for this, but you can use a paper bowl.
The Tupperware is a sandwich saver. Spray the container with PAM cooking spray or wipe with grease. In it, put 2 eggs and either mix or pop the yolks. lightly spray with PAM again. cook on high for a minute and a half, add your seasonings, and return to heat for the rest of the time. Perfect, square eggs just right for sandwiches!

EDIT!!
You have to cut it off at the halfway mark even if you don't salt "N" pepper it or you get a crusty egg.

Last edited:
As someone that has a very difficult time hearing it irritates me when people act like I could hear if I just want to.
No, it's a real problem and people need to realize we have an actual disability.
Would you complain about a blind person because they can't see you or a person in a wheelchair?
Not being able to hear is the main reason I don't socialize.
Ditto that!

Deafness is the invisible handicap.

I was born with a birth defect that took out my hearing. I didn't learn to talk until I was 5 years old. Hearing aides can't help when bones in the ear and audio nerve have been damaged or destroyed by disease.

I rely on lip reading. The mask mandates drove me crazy. A cashier at Lowes refused to let me see her lips fearing she would get fired. I never did figure out what she was trying to say to me.

I try to not annoy people by never saying " huh" but will cycle through alternatives "could please say that again?" "Could you please rephrase that?" ... After about three attempts I just give up trying to understand what people are saying.

I also avoid social events due to the white noise.

Ben

Just a reminder nail polish remover is just acetone with a smell added. Acetone is cheaper.
I always keep Acetone on hand, nothing better for cleaning greases and oil off surfaces that are going to be glued or painted, also the adhesive left on jars from labels my wife pulls off to use the jars for other things. When using silicone, say like sealing a bath tub or any sink to keep the water out (and rotting the wood underneath), acetone really makes a difference as to how the silicone bonds to porcelain and the surface underneath.

Ditto that!

I was born with a birth defect that took out my hearing. I didn't learn to talk until I was 5 years old. Hearing aides can't help when bones in the ear and audio nerve have been damaged or destroyed by disease.

I rely on lip reading. The mask mandates drove me crazy. A cashier at Lowes refused to let me see her lips fearing she would get fired. I never did figure out what she was trying to say to me.

I try to not annoy people by never saying " huh" but will cycle through alternatives "could please say that again?" "Could you please rephrase that?" ... After about three attempts I just give up trying to understand what people are saying.

Ben
I believe far more people rely on lip reading than you would think and yeah, that mask thing made mush mouths out of everyone using them, I often chided cashers, saying that I didn't know if they were hiding a beard behind their mask and sometimes would say the only way I know that you are smiling is that I see the twinkly in your eyes. I really don't think people realize just how much damage to the economy masks have done or for that matter common relationships.

When repeating something for an individual that is hard of hearing do not repeat the same phrase, rephrase it. By restating your sentence you give them different sounds for their brain to understand. You will get your thought across faster.
I have a step dad, who is hard of hearing, that I have been spending alot of time with this last week because of mom's health issues. With his hearing aides, he hears the back ground noises more than what a normal conversation is. After the RN or Doctor comes in, he totally misses the conversation and I will need to update him. I tend to move closer to him to talk one on one. My Dad was also hard of hearing and had a hearing aide. As a child, his ear drum got effected with a gun shot, so I grew up with this. Honestly I only need to rephrase when I am talking to my Hispanic Friends at work so they can understand better.@Caribou I have no idea what you may be referencing just to say, if you even were. My life has been very busy this last week so just responding to your comment.

Last edited:
Ditto that!

Ben
I totally Agree, & it does not help that some persons fake it, for one reason or another.

Clarification:
In fact, the only relevant qualification for membership is scoring within the upper 2% of the general population on an approved intelligence test. ... There is no single prevailing characteristic of Mensa members, other than a high IQ - and that's where the similarities between them end!
The smartest thing I ever did - saying no to taking the test even though everyone was pressuring me to take it, because I was inventing machines.
I had seen how it had taken over the lives of others, and I wanted to have fun.:D

It's a brilliant people club. You have to pass the qualifications for entry and more than just brilliance is taken into consideration.
I know a few people that are members, but you would never know it to hang out with them.

I ran across a video of a nice little kindling splitting tool. It would have been very useful when I had the wood cookstove! LInk to video then link to the store for them. I am not affiliated with them, just think it is a very clever tool!! Would not be too hard to fabricate your own version either ;)

https://vaboee.com/products/firewood-kindling-splitter-u01?twclid=2-3zz2osr7ypmnl3l14qdo5p0m0

@Woody You are right, all a guy would need is to weld a splitting head into a frame. That tool is a great idea...

@Woody You are right, all a guy would need is to weld a splitting head into a frame. That tool is a great idea...
Make it two. Somebody stayed up all night on this one!

Is that a replacement for a hatchet?

Latest posts

Back