Tips of all kinds!

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You have to really try to strip out the head of a torn screw unlike a phillips head
I am under the impresion that phillips screws are manageable if the driver is clean and crisp. I like Milwaukee bits.

20230523_183439.jpg

I have been using the same bit for regular use for a year or so. If building new structures bits last maybe a week or so.

Ben

I am under the impresion that phillips screws are manageable if the driver is clean and crisp. I like Milwaukee bits.

View attachment 111760

I have been using the same bit for regular use for a year or so. If building new structures bits last maybe a week or so.

Ben
I got a set of those. They are better than most phillips bits. But I still cant keep the screws from tearing out.

View attachment 111760

Ben
The only (Milwaukee) bits my son will use.
I got cheap bits on sale & got a set for him, he told me to keep them, he did not need them.
My son is a tool snob & a beer snob, will not drink Bud light or Corona beer.

50 substitutes for baking ingredients:

1. Baking powder:
1 teaspoon = 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda and 1/2 teaspoon of cream of tartar.

2. Baking soda: 1 teaspoon = 1 teaspoon of potassium bicarbonate and 1/3 teaspoon of salt.

3. Beer: 1 can = 1 cup of chicken broth.

4. Breadcrumbs: 1 cup = 1 cup of cracker crumbs, corn flake crumbs, or rolled oats.

5. Broth: 1 cup = 1 bouillon cube and 1 cup of boiling water.

6. Brown sugar: 1 cup = 1 cup of white sugar and 1/4 cup of molasses and remove 1/4 cup of liquid from recipe.

7. Butter (unsalted): 1 cup = 1 cup of shortening, lard, or vegetable oil.

8. Butter (salted): 1 cup = 1 cup of shortening, lard, or vegetable oil and 1/2 teaspoon of salt.

9. Buttermilk: 1 cup = 1 tablespoon of lemon juice or vinegar and 1 cup of milk.

10. Cake flour: 1 cup = 7/8 cup of all-purpose flour and 2 tablespoons of cornstarch.

11. Catsup: 1 cup = 1 cup of tomato sauce, 1/2 cup of sugar and 2 tablespoons of vinegar.

12. Chocolate (unsweetened): 1 ounce = 3 tablespoons of natural cocoa powder and 1 tablespoon of shortening, vegetable oil or unsalted butter.

13. Chocolate (sweetened): 1 ounce = 3 tablespoons of natural cocoa powder, 1 tablespoon of shortening, vegetable oil or unsalted butter, and 1 tablespoon of sugar.

14. Chocolate chips: 1 ounce = 1 ounce of unsweetened chocolate and 1 tablespoon of sugar.

15. Cocoa powder: 3 tablespoons = 1 ounce of unsweetened chocolate, and remove 1 tablespoon of fat from the recipe.

16. Corn syrup (dark): 1 cup = 1 cup of maple syrup or 3/4 cup of light corn syrup and 1/4 cup of light molasses.

17. Corn syrup (light): 1 cup = 1 cup of honey or 1 cup of granulated white sugar and 1/4 cup of water.

18. Cornstarch: 1 tablespoon = 3 tablespoons of all-purpose flour.

19. Cracker crumbs: 1 cup = 1 1/4 cups of breadcrumbs.

20. Cream of tartar: 1 teaspoon = 2 teaspoons of white vinegar or lemon juice.

21. Cream (half-and-half): 1 cup = 7/8 cup of whole milk and 2 tablespoons of unsalted butter.

22. Cream (heavy): 1 cup = 2/3 cup of whole milk and 1/3 cup of unsalted butter.

23. Cream cheese: 1 cup = 1/2 cup of plain yogurt and 1/2 cup of ricotta cheese.

24. Egg: 1 egg = 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder mixed with either half a pureed banana or 1/3 cup of applesauce.

25. Flour (self-rising): 1 cup = 1 cup of all-purpose flour, 1 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder and 1/4 teaspoon of salt.

26. Flour (whole wheat): 1 cup = 7/8 cup of all-purpose flour and 2 tablespoons of wheat germ.

27. Garlic: 1 clove = 1/8 teaspoon of garlic powder.

28. Ghee: 1 tablespoon = 1 tablespoon of butter or vegetable oil.

29. Honey: 1 cup = 1 cup of corn syrup, or 1 1/4 cup of sugar and 1/4 cup of water.

30. Hot sauce: 1 teaspoon = 1 teaspoon of vinegar and 3/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper.

31. Italian seasoning: 1 tablespoon = 2 teaspoons of parsley, 1 teaspoon of basil, and 1/2 teaspoon of oregano.

32. Lard: 1 cup = 1 cup of shortening or 1 cup of vegetable oil.

33. Lemon juice: 1 teaspoon = 1 teaspoon of white wine or 1/2 teaspoon of vinegar.

34. Marshmallow cream: 1 ounce = 3 melted marshmallows.

35. Mayonnaise: 1 cup = 1 cup of yogurt, sour cream, or pureed cottage cheese.

36. Milk (evaporated whole): 1 cup = 1 cup of half-and-half.

37. Milk (sweet condensed): 14 ounce can = 1 cup instant non-fat dry milk, 2/3 cup of sugar, 1/2 cup of boiling water, and 3 tablespoons of unsalted butter.

38. Milk (whole): 1 cup = 1 cup of reconstituted dry milk and 2 tablespoons of unsalted butter.

39. Molasses: 1 cup = 1 cup of dark corn syrup, or 3/4 cup of brown sugar and 1 teaspoon cream of tartar.

40. Mustard: 1 tablespoon = 1 tablespoon of dried mustard, 1 teaspoon of sugar, 1 teaspoon of vinegar, and 1 teaspoon of water.

41. Rice: 1 cup = 1 cup of brown rice or 1 cup of barley.

42. Ricotta cheese: 1 cup = 1 cup of cottage cheese.

43. Shortening: 1 cup = 7/8 cup of lard or 1 1/8 cups of unsalted butter.

44. Sour cream: 1 cup = 1 cup of plain yogurt, or 1 cup of whole milk mixed with a tablespoon of lemon juice or vinegar.

45. Soy sauce: 1/2 cup = 1/4 cup of Worcestershire sauce and 1 tablespoon of water.

46. Tapioca: 1 tablespoon = 1 1/2 tablespoons of flour.

47. Tomato sauce: 1 cup = 1/2 cup of tomato paste and 1/2 cup of water.

48. Vegetable oil: 1 cup = 1 cup of apple sauce (for baking) or 1 cup of shortening (for frying).

49. Vinegar: 1/2 cup = 1/2 cup of white wine or 2/3 cup of lemon juice.

50. Yogurt, (plain): 1 cup = 1 cup of sour cream or buttermilk.

#27, I told my wife to do away with Garlic salt & garlic powder
Same for onion powder!
Like beef Steak & Bacon, the real thing or go Hungary.
After TSHTF, I may change my mind, but I doubt it.
A great chart, Thanks.

#27, I told my wife to do away with Garlic salt & garlic powder
Same for onion powder!
Like beef Steak & Bacon, the real thing or go Hungary.
After TSHTF, I may change my mind, but I doubt it.
A great chart, Thanks.
Us vampires agree, garlic is bad for our digestion.

Just in case it had not been posted yet!!:

-----
Who knew?
(From Someone on FB)
WD-40 ~ Who knew!
I had a neighbour who bought a new pickup.
I got up very early one Sunday morning and saw that someone had spray
painted red all around the sides of this beige truck (for some unknown
reason).
I went over, woke him up, and told him the bad news.
He was very upset and was trying to figure out what to do ....
probably nothing until Monday morning, since nothing was open.
Another neighbour came out and told him to get his WD-40 and clean it off.
It removed the unwanted paint beautifully and did not harm the paint
job that was on the truck. I was impressed!
WD-40 who knew?
"Water Displacement #40".
The product began from a search for a rust-preventative solvent and
degreaser to protect missile parts.
WD-40 was created in 1953, by three technicians at the San Diego
Rocket Chemical Company.
Its name comes from the project that was to find a 'Water
Displacement' Compound.
They were finally successful in formulation, with their fortieth
attempt, thus WD-40. The 'Convair Company' bought it in bulk to
protect their Atlas missile parts.
Ken East (one of the original founders) says there is nothing in WD-40
that would hurt you.
When you read the 'shower door' part, try it. It's the first thing
that has ever cleaned that spotty shower door. If yours is plastic,
it works just as well as on glass. It's a miracle!
Then try it on your stovetop.
It's now shinier than it's ever been.
You'll be amazed.
WD-40 Uses:
1. Protects silver from tarnishing.
2. Removes road tar and grime from cars.
3. Cleans and lubricates guitar strings.
4. Gives floor that 'just-waxed' sheen without making them slippery.
5. Keeps the flies off of Cows, Horses, and other Farm Critters.
6. Restores and cleans chalkboards.
7. Removes lipstick stains.
8. Loosens stubborn zippers.
9. Untangles jewellery chains.
10. Removes stains from stainless steel sinks.
11. Removes dirt and grime from the barbecue grill.
12. Keeps ceramic/terracotta garden pots from oxidising.
13. Removes tomato stains from clothing.
14. Keeps glass shower doors free of water spots.
15. Camouflage scratches on ceramic and marble floors.
16. Keeps scissors working smoothly.
17. Lubricates noisy door hinges on both home and vehicle doors.
18. It removes nasty tar and scuff marks from the kitchen
flooring. It doesn't seem to harm the finish and you won't have to
scrub nearly as hard to get them off. Just remember to open some
windows if you have a lot of marks.
19. Remove those nasty bug guts that will eat away the finish
on your car if not removed quickly!
20. Gives a children's playground gym slide a shine for a super fast slide.
21. Lubricates gearshift and mower deck lever for ease of handling on
riding mowers.
22. Rids kids rocking chairs and swings of squeaky noises.
23. Lubricates tracks in sticking home windows and makes them easier to open.
24. Spraying an umbrella stem makes it easier to open and close.
25. Restores and cleans padded leather dashboards in vehicles, as well
as vinyl bumpers.
26. Restores and cleans roof racks on vehicles.
27. Lubricates and stops squeaks in electric fans.
28. Lubricates wheel sprockets on tricycles, wagons and bicycles for
easy handling.
29. Lubricates fan belts on washers and dryers and keeps them running smoothly.
30. Keeps rust from forming on saws and saw blades and other tools.
31. Removes grease splatters from stovetops.
32. Keeps bathroom mirror from fogging.
33. Lubricates prosthetic limbs.
34. Keeps pigeons off the balcony (they hate the smell).
35. Removes all traces of duct tape.
36. Folks even spray it on their arms, hands, and knees to relieve
arthritis pain.
37. Florida's favourite use is: 'cleans and removes love bugs from
grills and bumpers.'
38. The favourite use in the state of New York, it protects the Statue
of Liberty from the elements.
39. WD-40 attracts fish. Spray a little on live bait or lures and you
will be catching the big one in no time. Also, it's a lot cheaper than
the chemical attractants that are made for just that purpose. Keep
in mind though, using some chemical-laced baits or lures for fishing
are not allowed in some states.
40. Use it for fire ant bites. It takes the sting away immediately and
stops the itch.
41. It is great for removing crayons from walls. Spray it on the marks
and wipe with a clean rag.
42. Also, if you've discovered that your teenage daughter has washed
and dried a tube of lipstick with a load of laundry, saturate the
lipstick spots with WD-40 and rewash. Presto! The lipstick is gone!
43. If you spray it inside a wet distributor cap, it will displace the
moisture, allowing the engine to start.
My discovery, Ants don't like it..................
P.S.
Now This Is Definitely Worth SHARING!!

1690398621054.png

You forgot sore joints and arthritis. I'm guessing it has DMSO in it.
That's #36.
They forgot my main use for it:
#44, With the 'full-choke' red straw on current cans, you can shoot down wasps on the wing! :thumbs:

#43 was the reason it was created.

Last edited:
When repeating something for an individual that is hard of hearing do not repeat the same phrase, rephrase it. By restating your sentence you give them different sounds for their brain to understand. You will get your thought across faster.

When repeating something for an individual that is hard of hearing do not repeat the same phrase, rephrase it. By restating your sentence you give them different sounds for their brain to understand. You will get your thought across faster.
Need to try that with my dad. Too vain to admit he can’t hear and I repeat everything at least 2 times

Need to try that with my dad. Too vain to admit he can’t hear and I repeat everything at least 2 times
Me? I think it is rude enough to keep saying, "Huh?" and to expect someone to keep repeating themselves. It is aggravating and annoying to have to keep repeating oneself because someone cannot hear or because they may not like the answer. I can only repeat myself a few times, and then I am done. I do know that hearing aids are not cheap,
In my mother's family, most people end up with hearing aids when they get older. I expect I might too as some point in time.

As someone that has a very difficult time hearing it irritates me when people act like I could hear if I just want to.
No, it's a real problem and people need to realize we have an actual disability.
Would you complain about a blind person because they can't see you or a person in a wheelchair?
Not being able to hear is the main reason I don't socialize.

Me? I think it is rude enough to keep saying, "Huh?" and to expect someone to keep repeating themselves. It is aggravating and annoying to have to keep repeating oneself because someone cannot hear or because they may not like the answer. I can only repeat myself a few times, and then I am done. I do know that hearing aids are not cheap,
In my mother's family, most people end up with hearing aids when they get older. I expect I might too as some point in time.
Hearing aids help, a lot, but they don't make old ears young again. The brain forgets how to interpret certain sounds after losing the for an extended time. That is why getting hearing raids is better the sooner you decide to go for it.

Hearing loss is frustrating for both the inflicted and those around them. My wife has been angry with me for years because of my hearing loss. That really doesn't help. Rephrasing helps, as does speaking up. Looking at someone when speaking so they can read your lips. The face diapers really screws up my hearing.

Other problems are background noise like road noise, music, multiple conversations, etc.

As someone that has a very difficult time hearing it irritates me when people act like I could hear if I just want to.
No, it's a real problem and people need to realize we have an actual disability.
Would you complain about a blind person because they can't see you or a person in a wheelchair?
Not being able to hear is the main reason I don't socialize.
I get this. It is a problem, but there are ways to help with it, hearing aids. Not cheap, but very helpful.

Do you have hearing aids? Do you wear them if you do have them? I know they are not 100% helpful, but they keep improving them.

My grandmother wore hearing aids, but if there was a family gathering, she would leave them at home because all the noise bothered her!!! Her daughter, my aunt, in the middle of Grandma asking people over and over what they said, asked where her hearing aids were? At home. My aunt was clearly frustrated. Try having to repeat yourself a few times for everything you say, while the person who is not hearing you has the ability to hear better, but chooses to not wear their hearing aids.

I once knew a man who wanted to date me many years ago, and he was born with a severe hearing loss. I knew that I didn't have it in me to repeat everything I said over and over. Maybe others can repeat themselves over and over again and not be frustrated by it. Not me.

I know that hearing aids have greatly improved in the years since Grandma died. I saw that some are around $1500 for a pair. Like many things, you can probably finance them.

I can imagine being frustrated when you cannot hear. I believe my day is coming because of hearing loss as people age in my family.

I get this. It is a problem, but there are ways to help with it, hearing aids. Not cheap, but very helpful.

Do you have hearing aids? Do you wear them if you do have them? I know they are not 100% helpful, but they keep improving them.

My grandmother wore hearing aids, but if there was a family gathering, she would leave them at home because all the noise bothered her!!! Her daughter, my aunt, in the middle of Grandma asking people over and over what they said, asked where her hearing aids were? At home. My aunt was clearly frustrated. Try having to repeat yourself a few times for everything you say, while the person who is not hearing you has the ability to hear better, but chooses to not wear their hearing aids.

I once knew a man who wanted to date me many years ago, and he was born with a severe hearing loss. I knew that I didn't have it in me to repeat everything I said over and over. Maybe others can repeat themselves over and over again and not be frustrated by it. Not me.

I know that hearing aids have greatly improved in the years since Grandma died. I saw that some are around $1500 for a pair. Like many things, you can probably finance them.

I can imagine being frustrated when you cannot hear. I believe my day is coming because of hearing loss as people age in my family.
Full retail on my hearing aids was around $7,000 when I got them. They were not the best on the market. Being an NRA member got me a discount and insurance covered a couple grand. $1,500 would be a less effective pair.

Hearing aids amplify everything. They don't work like your ears. Grandma left them home because all the conversations, and every other noise, jumbled one on top of the others, coming from 360º, was much like audio spaghetti. She heard better without the hearing aids. The option I usually take is to avoid large groups. With just a handful of people the hearing aids can help.

Granny had the choice, miss lots of conversation or avoid her family.

And.....eye contact and speak slowly, lip reading!

I have the best hearing made at the time the VA gave them to me. I was told they cost around $12,000.
They are custom molded to fit my ears perfectly and programmed to amplify the frequencies that I have lost.
They don't amplify all frequencies so it's not like those as seen on TV things.
Some of the loss is so severe there is nothing they can do. I will never hear those frequencies again.
I have 4 separate programs I can select either via a button on the hearing aid or an app on my phone.
There is one program for things like the radio or TV.
Without the hearing aids I have to turn the volume on the TV to 100. With the normal program I can reduce the volume to around 50 and with the special program I can turn the volume down to less than 20.
I hear very little in the car because of background noise.
We got my wife hearing aids at Costco for $1400.00. They are programmed to her hearing loss.

A side note.
The VA is the largest purchaser of hearing aids in the world.

Latest posts

Back