Tips of all kinds!

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ever find keys or something that someone might probably want back? Some people pick them up and take them, but if we can help the person find their lost item, it will serve them better than it does us.

View attachment 106780
Neat idea! Most people will backtrack.

I discovered a huge pee stain on our spare room mattress. I had no idea it was there. It must be over 5 years old.
I searched for a way to remove the stain and found this recipe.
8 oz. Hydrogen peroxide
3 tbls baking soda
3 drops of dish washing detergent.
Mix together and either spray or use a cloth to get the stain wet.
Let it dry and the stain will disappear.
NO scrubbing needed.
I repeated the application 3 times over a couple of days.
Here is a before and after picture.
20230423_103250.jpg

20230427_083847-jpg.107911

I just sliced 2lbs of strawberries for freezing with my cheap little egg slicer. Worked great and makes perfect slices.
I've heard you can do the same with large mushrooms too. Haven't tried that.
I'm thinking of getting a nice stainless egg slicer
OIP (2).jpg

I just sliced 2lbs of strawberries for freezing with my cheap little egg slicer. Worked great and makes perfect slices.
I've heard you can do the same with large mushrooms too. Haven't tried that.
I'm thinking of getting a nice stainless egg slicer
View attachment 111423
I was slicing mushrooms with the egg slicer and I broke it.
It was old and the wire cutters were most likely weak.
I bought a new one and I have no problems slicing mushrooms.
I also slice olives with it. Pitted olives obviously.

Chef Knife 6 or 8 inch, sharp enough to shave.

With the egg slicer there is no danger of cutting a finger.
My wife's arthritis prevents her from doing a lot of things other people take for granted.
Egg slicers are great, but some thing you need a knife for.
I think boiled eggs, soft berries, cherry tomatoes, are a few that the slicers works on.

I know they are cheap, but in case of emergencies the wire can be replaced. You may have to do so rigging but a possibility. I replace wire on my cheese cuber on a regular basis so would figure it wouldn't be too difficult.

Has anyone ever had to deal with these annoying POS screws? maybe in a mobile home?
you have to have a SPECIAL DRIVER in the right size or no dice, well I got your fast and free fix right here...
Robertson_screw AKA bigpainintheass.jpg

Depending on how big it is, I've never seen one bigger than 1/4" go find a file, you will notice the tang is square! you might have to file or grind a bit to make it fit just right, but soon you'll be replacing these annoying things with regular screws like a pro!

Has anyone ever had to deal with these annoying POS screws? maybe in a mobile home?

Yep, those are 'square-drive' wood screws, commonly used in Furniture-making / Woodworking.. Reason being, they don't strip / 'blow-out' near-as easily as a Phillips, when yer driving them home in some hardcore hardwood (even with a 'pilot hole', Phillips tend to strip under high-torque...
..Or worse, when Phillips snap off, 7/8 of the way driven-in.. gaah But, These stay the course. :cool: ) I see them used for building Decks, also.. Just buy / stash a few sizes of Square-drive tips, and yer off to the races. 👍

Oops, sorry joel, looks like we were typin at the same time.. :)

jd

I have this book which states history & recipes.

Product details​

The 2nd edition of a classic kitchen reference now includes 100 spices and herbs each described in a short essay that includes history, cultivation and uses, storage - everything needed to use it well. Well illustrated and includes 50 spice-blend recipes.
The classic reference - expanded and in full color.
Professional chefs and home cooks use spices and herbs to enhance food flavors and to create new taste combinations and sensations. From vanilla beans to cinnamon, from cumin to tarragon, no kitchen is complete without spices and herbs.
The second edition of this classic reference is significantly expanded, with four new spices and herbs as well as 25 additional blends. The book is now printed in full color and features color photography throughout. Every herb and spice has a handsome and detailed color photograph to make identification and purchasing a breeze. The book includes fascinating and authoritative histories of a wide range of global herbs and spices such as angelica, basil, candle nut, chervil, elder, fennel, grains of paradise, licorice root, saffron, tamarind, Vietnamese mint and zedoary.
The Spice and Herb Bible, Second Edition, includes 100 spices and herbs and 50 spice-blend recipes. It is an essential resource for any well-equipped kitchen.
1689103500401.png

Allen wrenches are everywhere since Columbus did his drive-by. I see nothing superior about the star head or square myself UNLESS its something you don't want a tinkerer into.

Latest posts

Back