Today, Saturday I just bought a couple grand worth of Silver

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And yet silver struggles. :(
It's doing "OK" but not racing forward like gold.
Not sure why the sad face. Silver isn't needed right now so it's still a good opportunity for purchasing. I think that is a 😊. As far as from an investment standpoint - if you're not looking to sell it today, it doesn't matter. If you are then I understand the sad face. Keep your spot on the porch and the sun will get to you.

Silver is at $26. I don't see where it's struggling. For me the top price that I was willing to pay for silver was $25 per ounce. I have plenty of silver that I bought for way less than $5, plus I inherited silver from my grandfather and father. When the price drops back below $25 I'll pickup a few bags of pre '65 US silver coins.

Gold at $2297 today.
Is $2300 just over the horizon?!!:eyeballs:
Well it broke thru $2300 just now.
Here's that magic round number that @Neb just loves. 😍
Thank the robots:
Screenshot_20240402-154526_kindlephoto-3429693335.png
(don't worry, it will 'correct' in after-hours trading:rolleyes:).

Gold has been moving up about 1% a day.
Silver is moving 4% up the past two days.

I have nothing to complain about.
On topic:
Well while nobody but me was watching, silver has broken above $28 today :oops:.
(Annoying graph:():
Screenshot_20240409-131400_kindlephoto-227121329.png
First time in 3 years.

I've been watching it all day. It was up to around $28.40 earlier (yeah!) but came back down a bit.
I wonder if the OP still has the silver he bought when this thread was started?
(was at $14.14/oz then)
His "couple grand worth of silver" would be worth $4,000 today :oops:.

On topic:
Well while nobody but me was watching, silver has broken above $28 today :oops:.
I've been watching. I've been done buying PM's for a while now. Time to just sit back and watch them appreciate in value and provide a bit of security. Although, it's still a bargain if what I think is coming actually happens.......crash!

I'm looking for good deals on hard assets and land. The economy hasn't gotten to the point of people getting rid of their stuff to pay for the basics.....yet. However, I do think that is coming.

I've been watching. I've been done buying PM's for a while now. Time to just sit back and watch them appreciate in value and provide a bit of security. Although, it's still a bargain if what I think is coming actually happens.......crash!

I'm looking for good deals on hard assets and land. The economy hasn't gotten to the point of people getting rid of their stuff to pay for the basics.....yet. However, I do think that is coming.
Agreed sep...

I heard and read that people are skipping meals, delaying medical procedures,...

Others are selling off property or borrowing from their 401ks.

Ben

I wonder if the OP still has the silver he bought when this thread was started?
(was at $14.14/oz then)
His "couple grand worth of silver" would be worth $4,000 today :oops:.
Yeah, but the quantity and quality of the silver hasn't changed. Only the value of the dollar has changed.

Although I love the idea of gold/silver as an investment, my DH decided we would buy tons (!!) of good alcohol. Cheap, medium and high end. All in a nice safe cold room. We rotate as needed with the wines/beers but hard liquour stays fine for years if sealed.
Did I mention it was also our tornado safe place and has all my home canned goods?

I will die happy.

Although I love the idea of gold/silver as an investment, my DH decided we would buy tons (!!) of good alcohol. Cheap, medium and high end. All in a nice safe cold room. We rotate as needed with the wines/beers but hard liquour stays fine for years if sealed.
Did I mention it was also our tornado safe place and has all my home canned goods?

I will die happy.
I hope an earthquake or fire doesn't ruin your day.
Don't get me wrong....I love my glass collections too.

It looks like the shackles are coming off the PM's. Although, the higher than expected (uh, OK, sure....) inflation numbers that came out this week most certainly lit a fire in the PM market. Once they reach and exceed their all time highs (which looks like will happen sooner rather than later) the talking heads will be like...."oh, would you look at that....huh, who knew?" 🤪 Gee, I wonder what caused that? It's TRUMP's fault!!......b/c they'll spin this as though it's a bad thing. Everyone knows PMs don't really go up or down.....it's the value of fiat currency that fluctuates, and they sure don't want to talk about that b/c Obiden has (and is) crushing our dollar. None of this is a surprise or unexpected.

Last edited:
Was reading this article.
https://finance.yahoo.com/personal-finance/costco-credit-card-benefits-travel-192907580.html

"Using the estimates from the Wells Fargo report and an approximate price of $2,000 Costco sells between 50,000 and 100,000 ounces of gold per month."
You know I’ve looked into Costco for buying precious metals and if the stores around you don’t carry it they won’t let you order any. It’s not like a regular place where you can order it from a mint and they will send it to you.
Am I doing something wrong when I’m trying to purchase it? They won’t even let you ‘view it’ once you give your address and yes we live in the middle of honkin’ nowhere. 45 minutes to a Walmart…

I even put in our old address from Milwaukee downtown. Apparently there’s no Costco’s around there and they won’t let you go further.

The reviews I've heard is that Costco charges way too much for their gold.
When I checked recently (when the news about Costco selling gold started making the rounds), Costco was less than my favorite online supplier (JM Bullion). But, Costco only had the Pamp Suisse gold bars (with Lady Fortuna--see below), which always seem to carry a higher premium than other gold bars (one might say that Pamp Suisse is "the gold standard" of gold bars ;)), so if you are comparing the Costco gold to lesser known gold bar makers, then Costco might be more expensive, but apples-to-apples (Pamp Suisse to Pamp Suisse), Costco was cheaper.
227794_1_2.jpg

I didn't check, but I suspect Costco was still more expensive than my local coin shop. My LCS is always cheaper than online stores.

Latest posts

Back