Toyota suv

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aklogcabin

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
My beautiful wife needs a new car. She's been looking at the Toyota stuff. A 7 or 9 seater as we now have 2 more grandkids. Found one with everything for 21 grand. 98,000 miles on it. Is this a good deal. I will need new studded tires so thinking a grand off.

Found one with everything for 21 grand. 98,000 miles on it.

Found what exactly. Hard to say with no idea the vehicle. FWIW we had a Rav4 and it was one of the best, if not the best running, dependable vehicle we ever had. We put well over 100K maintenance free miles on it, other than normal stuff. I have no doubt it would have gone another 100K, and probably more.

I'd be suspicious of any Toyota large SUV with 98K on it for that price, unless it's really old. I mean, fifteen year old Highlanders with 220K on them sell for over ten grand in my area.

I guess I'd really want to check it out thoroughly. If it's really on good shape, I'd say go for it. If it's a Sequoia or Land Cruiser, it's probably a fantastic deal.

Beware of frame rust on Toyotas. That's the one problem that they tend to have. I'd get under it and check the frame pretty closely...

I've researched, found information that suggests that the timing chain needs replacing between 80-100 thousand miles. Anyone else ever heard this
That's true of most vehicles. If the timing chain fails the motor will likely be ruined. I've seen it happen to a Chevy Traverse. Replacing the chain or belt is just a standard preventive maintenance practice.

I've researched, found information that suggests that the timing chain needs replacing between 80-100 thousand miles. Anyone else ever heard this
Yes, timing belts get replaced at those intervals. I've had 3 Toyotas. When the timing chain gets replaced, the water pump will also be replaced at the same time.

My mechanic shop told me about a woman who came into their shop with her timing belt making a noise, and it needed to be replaced. They are a super busy shop and she had to make an appointment two weeks out. She didn't make it home from the shop after making this appointment, when her timing belt broke. A broken belt can damage your engine, rendering the car undriveable, even with a replaced belt.

Timing belts, if that model has it does need replacing at 100,000. Some Toyota have went back to chains, which will wear over time, but rarely break. You'll get much more than 100,000 with a chain.
Also so cars with belts that break some have what is called an interference engine. Meaning belt breaks and piston hit valves. But others are non interference and the belt breaks with no other damage.
Like Weedy said, its best to change the water pump while your that far into it. I'd suggest doing all the drive belts at the same time

Sister has a Highlander she loves. Sequoia is the yoga equivalent to Chevy Suburban. Very nice rides, but typically pricey
If they are well taken care of, they will give you over 300,000 miles of use, our 2007 Tundra has around 250,000 miles and our Sierra just turn over 200,000, both run like new, the Sierra gets the best mpg and the Tundra is built like a tank, I've put some incredible loads in it, with garden soil and firewood, to levels that were on par with our 1989 F-250 SC 4X4 diesel truck could haul, sadly that truck failed us at just over 100,000 miles, what it would have cost us for a new engine, we were able to get the used Tundra. A friend of ours owns a 2004 Highlander that has over 300,000 miles on it. Toyotas are awesome for their durability.

Yes. It's best to replace them when recommended, than putting it off until your stranded on the side of the road.
It can be real costly if the engine is a zero clearance type, that is the valves will hit the pistons, which leads to the need for new heads and pistons, our friend had the timing belt of on his Highlander, same 3.3 engine that's in our Sienna, it motivated us to take our van in and replace the timing belt, I couldn't find that it had ever been replaced according to Car Fax, the Toyota shop said it was due and while they were at it I had a new water pump installed. The 3.3 engine requires belt replacement at 90,000 miles, the newer 3.5 engine uses a chain, which I understand is a lifetime chain, our Tundra with the 5.7 V-8 also has chain, I read about two Tundra's that made it to one million miles, one of them was an oil field service truck, Toyota gave him a new truck and pulled his old truck's engine and checked it out, they found it to still be in excellent condition, the guy had it regularly serviced, I read about this before we bought our Tundra with 244,000 miles, after reading about the million mile trucks, I didn't worry about those miles, Car Fax indicted that the truck was regularly serviced. In my growing up years, 40's and 50's, about the only vehicles that made it to 100,000 miles were Lincolns, Cadillacs, Buicks and Mercedes Benz.

Here in montana toyaota's seem to command a higher price. They run and run and anything without 4 wheel drive is an anomaly. This talk of timing belt replacement brings up the problem with interupted supply sources. If you have a rig and it is anywhere close to needing work by all means do it or get it done.
We have a third row seating honda pilot and it was $1800 for the timing belt, water pump, spark plugs, valve adjust and new antifreeze and engine oil. It had 125K miles on it when we bought it so I made an appointment and parked the car for a month till the best small shop mechanic in town could work on it. The local honda dealership didn't even know if it had a chain or a belt....Besides normal maintenance and tires I expect to get another 150K miles out of it.

The local honda dealership didn't even know if it had a chain or a belt.
Yea, you're going to want to look that up (belt or chain) for Toyota's and Honda's.
Our current Honda has a chain. Previous had a belt.
2 of our current Toyota products have chains, the 3rd has a belt.

On a related note, be advised that Toyota/Lexus SUV's don't get very good gas mileage. Our Lexus RX350 which isn't a very big SUV gets about the same gas mileage as my Crew Cab Silverado truck.

My husband bought a Toyota Highlander for me in 2013, brand new. I loved that car and it was great hauling the kids around to all their sports stuff. My daughter, club volleyball and my son was basketball/football. Never had a problem, kept up the oil change and maintenance stuff. My step son crashed it while he was driving drunk last year. I was so mad at him, it was paid off, nothing wrong with it. He took it without asking and we had excluded him on our insurance (he was living with us in the past and had 3 DUIs so it was expensive to add him). My husband wasn't willing to press charges (his kid), but I certainly was.
Anyway, it's a great car. I have a 2022 subaru outback wilderness now, which I love and is able to get down our muddy, icy, snowy road with ease right now.

My husband bought a Toyota Highlander for me in 2013, brand new. I loved that car and it was great hauling the kids around to all their sports stuff. My daughter, club volleyball and my son was basketball/football. Never had a problem, kept up the oil change and maintenance stuff. My step son crashed it while he was driving drunk last year. I was so mad at him, it was paid off, nothing wrong with it. He took it without asking and we had excluded him on our insurance (he was living with us in the past and had 3 DUIs so it was expensive to add him). My husband wasn't willing to press charges (his kid), but I certainly was.
Anyway, it's a great car. I have a 2022 subaru outback wilderness now, which I love and is able to get down our muddy, icy, snowy road with ease right now.
I would have been so livid about him wrecking my vehicle.

Well maintained Toyotas are good for 300,000 miles, and if you are willing to keep at it, 400,000 miles or more.

I've researched, found information that suggests that the timing chain needs replacing between 80-100 thousand miles. Anyone else ever heard this?
For the older, our 2005 Sienna needs a timing belt every 90,000, it's the same 3.3 engine that's in the older Highlander, our friends have a 2004. He has somewhere in the neighborhood of 300,000 miles and our Sienna recently turn over 200,000 miles. The newer Highlanders with the bigger engine have timing chains, our 2007 Tundra has chains on the 5.7 engine, I've heard chains are life time, the Tundra has over 270,000 and runs like new. I don't know how the used car costs are around where everyone else lives but around here they are sky high, we've had a few letters from the dealer asking if we wanted to sell our used vehicles. I have heard that some people are having issues with CVT transmissions, actually a lot of the newer vehicles have throw-away transmissions, I've had some friends mention that when they needed to get some work on those transmissions, they were told by transmission shops that they wouldn't work on them.

My beautiful wife got a great deal on a Honda. 4x4 seats 7. Has more than I've ever seen before. Really nice car for her n safe for the grandkids. Thanks for the help folks
We bought a 2014 Honda pilot this spring. Best car I have ever driven.

Yesterday it was -40F and it was the only vehicle we have that would start. I wasn't planning on running it but the older beater Honda CRV we have wouldn't start even after sitting all night with a pan heater and battery charger on it.

They use a lot of gas and be sure to replace the cam belts when called for. The valves also need to be checked and or adjusted and we also had new plugs and water pump put into it when we first bought it. Ready to drive it another 125K miles.

For the older, our 2005 Sienna needs a timing belt every 90,000, it's the same 3.3 engine that's in the older Highlander, our friends have a 2004. He has somewhere in the neighborhood of 300,000 miles and our Sienna recently turn over 200,000 miles. The newer Highlanders with the bigger engine have timing chains, our 2007 Tundra has chains on the 5.7 engine, I've heard chains are life time, the Tundra has over 270,000 and runs like new. I don't know how the used car costs are around where everyone else lives but around here they are sky high, we've had a few letters from the dealer asking if we wanted to sell our used vehicles. I have heard that some people are having issues with CVT transmissions, actually a lot of the newer vehicles have throw-away transmissions, I've had some friends mention that when they needed to get some work on those transmissions, they were told by transmission shops that they wouldn't work on them.
@viking I think with the CVT transmissions, it depends on who is making the transmission. The Toyota and Honda CVTs are holding up well. The Toyota especially has a good reputation in the small cars like Corolla or Prius, easily lasting 300,000 miles.

Nissan has had lots of trouble with theirs, to the point that there has been class action lawsuits. They gave an extended warranty because of all the trouble. Nissan has a subsidiary company called JATCO that build those transmissions and also builds for some GM cars. Maybe others too. Subaru had problems with theirs from about 2012 to 2016 but I guess they're better now.

From what I understand, once a CVT lets go, the internals are wrecked beyond repair. The chain or steel cable comes apart and completely destroys everything inside so a new Trans is required. They're more expensive too. One of my coworkers dropped the CVT in his 2014 Subaru while we were working in Minnesota and it was around 8 grand to fix it. He had an extended warranty so it was only 1k out of his pocket...

@DrJenner I test drove a 2016 Outback once. It was nice, but I didn't like the weird CVT transmission. I can't get used to a car that doesn't shift gears. I know that most cars and even a lot of crossover SUVs are using the CVT now. Is it holding up well for you?
Yeah so far so good, we haven't had any troubles and it is great getting out of my road which has been a slushy icy mess. The x-mode and aggressive tires with the 9 inches clearance do better than my husband's dodge Ram.

Just my opinion & I'm not a car guy. The problem with a used car of any kind is "How was it taken care of" because you generally don't know. Most (but not all) cars that are taken care of will last a long time with only minor trouble.

I've owned a lot of cars over the years & I generally buy new & drive them till the wheels fall off. My last new car was a Highlander. I have to say that it's the best car that I've ever owned. It does everything I want it to do & more. In the last 3 weeks I've taken it on 2 short trips (400 miles each) & cruised at 78 mph 90% of the time. It averaged a little over 21 mpg & I didn't have the after trip soreness. Sooner or later we will be replacing our GMC car & it will probably be with a RAV4.

Lastly I'll say this from experience where I live (only). I trust my Toyota dealer & that's more than I can say about any other dealer in our town & we have most of the major dealers here.

Latest posts

Back