Training logs

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just now (Sat night) I came back from a run. It was a light run but a run nonetheless.
This is only my 3rd exercise for the week so i have to hit it tomorrow too to get my 4 for the week

Just got back from the Gym.
Squeezed out a last minute victory in having a good week ( 4 workouts)

Today was;
- 3 sets of squats
- 3 sets of lat pulls
- 2 sets hip adductions
- 2 sets hip abductions
- 2 sets incline bench ( usually I do 3 sets because this is such an important exercise but I pulled my tricepts last time and was only able to do 2 sets at half weights and double reps, same reason I had to skip the standing military overhead press)
- 3 sets of seated rows
- 2 sets of lateral raises
- 2 sets of frontal raises
- 2 sets of shoulder shrugs

Last edited:
No workout or activities for me today. My brother just bought a house and had a get together for family and friends and there was a cookout. The closest thing to a workout I had today was lifting food to my face!🤣

Slow start to the week.
Monday was supposed to be off but yesterday tuesday I goofed off.
I have to travel aaaall day Sunday so its back to back exercising every day from now thru Saturday if I want to make it 4 for the week.

Today (Wed nite) was;
- 3 sets of squats
- 3 sets of lat pulls
- 2 sets hip adductions
- 2 sets hip abductions
- 2 sets incline bench ( usually I do 3 sets because this is such an important exercise but I pulled my tricepts last week . did 2 sets full weight . my tricepts feels better but I dont want to push it.)
- 2 sets of bent overrows
- 2 sets of lateral raises
- 2 sets of frontal raises

Last edited:
Thursday nite, just got back from a short but moderately quick run.

More sledgehammer swingin', railroad tie moving, hydraulic jack carrying, type of work today.

After work I got a short push workout with dumbbells.
Floor press
Seated overhead press
Lateral delt raises

More sledgehammer swingin', railroad tie moving, hydraulic jack carrying, type of work today.

After work I got a short push workout with dumbbells.
Floor press
Seated overhead press
Lateral delt raises

You're a beast! :D

Another very short workout after work today, all exercises with lighter weights and high reps

Overhead dumbbell press 4x15 plus one burner set of 40 reps

Goblet squats 5x15

Dumbbell floor presses 5x15

Hopefully I can motivate myself to get to the gym regularly on my off days and build some momentum. I'd like to get back to strength training once every two or three days...

Last edited:
Back in the gym...
Sumo deadlift 3x8
Seated dumbbell overhead press 3x20
Leg extension 3x10 superset with Leg curl 3x10
Low incline dumbbell bench press 3x15
Lat pulldown 3x10
Face pulls 3x12
Rear delt band pull aparts 3x10

Went hiking in Ledges State Park today. Didn't keep track of time or distance, but I broke a helluva good sweat. The trails aren't technical or long, but they are steep! I definitely had my heart rate into the cardio zone...
20220717_174655.jpg
20220717_175121.jpg
20220717_175328.jpg

UPdate:
haven't posted due to travel.
Last week on weekend decide to stop running for a bit as I seem to have a stress fracture in my right foot.
not too bad but its there.
So no more running/rucking for a small time.

Week before last week, I finished off with a good iron pump the (Sat) morning I went on travel, with the schedule of hitting the road it would have been easy to skip it but at least that gave ,me 3 exercise for he week .
Not great, not terrible
(that Fri day I was going to run but realized I had that fracture)

So last week was supposed to be an off week but I discovered the hotel had a nice pool and I put in 2 nice swims last week.

So this week I will only to iron pumps and so will have 2 full weeks away from runs/rucks. Should be enough to be fully healed from my mild case ( swelling already 90% gone)
Full body , today Thursday+ Sunday.
then week after, back to runs/rucks plus iron pumps.

Last edited:
Back in the gym. For the last week I've let my job be my workout. Today I focused on lower body/legs only.

Sumo deadlift - started at 135x4 and went up the ladder in 10 pound increments. I pulled a new PR, 15 pounds better than my old one. Still have 10 pounds to go to reach my first goal.

Conventional deadlift 2x10

Barbell hip thrust 2x10
Goblet squat 3x11
Leg extension 3x8
Leg curl 3x10
Hip abductors 3x12 light

Upper body:

Overhead DB press 4x20
Lat pulldown 2x12
DB incline bench press 3x10
Chest supported bent over row 3x10
Face pulls 3x12
DB shrugs 2x12
Band rear delt pull aparts 2x12
Preacher curl machine, 1 drop set 40/30/20

5 mile bike ride with my daughter and a few other people on the Trestle Trail. Not strenuous.

For some reason I have stiffness in my left knee just below the kneecap. It feels exactly like when you bang your knee against something, only I haven't banged it on anything at all. But it stiffens up at rest. I had to take stairs one at a time until it loosened up. Will be monitoring for the next few days. Until I know there's nothing wrong, I won't be doing leg day at the gym...

I can finally join this club. Since I retired, I have been considerably more active playing golf, practicing golf, and walking. I have tried to increase my stamina each time practicing a little longer or walking a little longer and farther. It seems to be working. My last doctor visit, which was last Monday, I had lost five pounds and my A1C had dropped a full point. BP and Cholesterol are already stupid low, so I never worry about that.

@Morgan101 this is what I like to see! Success is sweet. Taking a full point off of the A1c is a big deal, keep it up!

Thanks. Hopefully success will breed success. Right now, it is still fun. When the novelty wears off and it becomes more of a chore, I hope I can stick with it. Next "Moment of Truth" (doctor's appointment) is in November. If the results continue the same trend, we will be eliminating some meds. That is the goal. No meds and lose 75-100 pounds. Not gonna happen in three months, but long term.

Thanks. Hopefully success will breed success. Right now, it is still fun. When the novelty wears off and it becomes more of a chore, I hope I can stick with it. Next "Moment of Truth" (doctor's appointment) is in November. If the results continue the same trend, we will be eliminating some meds. That is the goal. No meds and lose 75-100 pounds. Not gonna happen in three months, but long term.
Even losing 10% of body helps. Hope you can ditch those meds.

@Morgan101 strong work!!
Been at it faithfully. Alternating arm and leg day, throwing in abs a few times a week.
Been able to lift a lot more and my hubs was super impressed with my ability to help him wrangle the table saw off the trailer. Stamina now is nuts, I have much more energy then I did at the beginning of the year. I did 70+ minutes at a 15% incline at 3.8 mph today.
I followed that with the ab crunching machine- 35 lbs of weight, 3 reps of 10 and plus each oblique 3 reps of 10
Then hip thrusters with the bar and 20 lb weight on each side
Goblet squats with 25 lbs 10 each leg x 3 reps.
My main focus was the treadmill today, peak heart rate was in the 140s. I didn’t get tired until about 65 mins in.
7C846E50-B47B-4303-8A74-021E54BAC550.jpeg

@Morgan101 strong work!!
Been at it faithfully. Alternating arm and leg day, throwing in abs a few times a week.
Been able to lift a lot more and my hubs was super impressed with my ability to help him wrangle the table saw off the trailer. Stamina now is nuts, I have much more energy then I did at the beginning of the year. I did 70+ minutes at a 15% incline at 3.8 mph today.
I followed that with the ab crunching machine- 35 lbs of weight, 3 reps of 10 and plus each oblique 3 reps of 10
Then hip thrusters with the bar and 20 lb weight on each side
Goblet squats with 25 lbs 10 each leg x 3 reps.
My main focus was the treadmill today, peak heart rate was in the 140s. I didn’t get tired until about 65 mins in.
View attachment 92448

You are light years ahead of me, Doc, but I am staying with it. Kudos to you. You are doing a heck of a workout.

I am walking two or three times a week; playing Golf once a week; and practicing Golf at least two more times a week. The Golf game is coming around, and I am noticing my stamina getting better. It took twenty years of neglect to get into the pathetic shape I am in. I don't expect to get it all back in a month. All the numbers are going in the right direction, and I am still enjoying it. It hasn't gotten to be work or drudgery yet.

Next moment of truth (doctor's appointment) will come in early November. Fingers crossed.

6 weeks ago got a bad blood pressure report (too much bourbon and not enough working out). Ok, change the diet a bit (a lot less bourbon, add protein) and am down about 18 pounds and BP is normal (125/79 this morning). Doing this to keep myself honest/motivated:

Mon: 2.5 mile run
Tues: 45 min bike, 4 x15 curls, 4 x 15 shoulder press, 4 x 15 bench
Weds: 2.5 mile run
Thurs: 45 min bike, 4 x 15 curls, 4 x 15 shoulder press, 4 x 15 bench press

Looking to add a rowing machine to the mix

Happy to report the golf lessons and practice have paid off on the course. I have been playing every Tuesday, and practice and have a lesson on Thursday. Yesterday was a marked improvement on a much tougher golf course. The thing I have to work on is patience. I haven't played this consistently in twenty years. Everything isn't going to come back in a month. Definitely not like riding a bike. But each week it has improved and gotten better. Best part, it is still fun, and I am enjoying it. I enjoy the practice, and the work required to improve. Also definitely helping with weight loss. Trying to keep it going. :thumbs:

@Morgan101 I'm trying to get my hubs back into golfing. He has been busy falling trees on the property to get ready for the well driller to come in next week (finally).
@Ozarks hillbilly nice job!!

I'm a firm believer that consistency is key, something is better than nothing.
Yesterday I did not feel like going to work out. I had skipped 3 days in a row because I was so exhausted. Worked 9 days in a row and the 2nd to last day was a 16 hour day, I was at work 4 hours past when I was supposed to leave as we got 7 admissions at the same time and everyone wasn't doing well. Can't leave like that, too dangerous. Thankfully it rarely happens. Anyway, we sold a car and I went and deposited the check at the bank which is right around the corner from the gym, so I went. Ended up having a great workout and doing leg day and felt so much better.

Keep it up!! You guys are doing great.

Latest posts

Back