VenomJockey, in for Pessimistic2.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
$80K for 200+ acres isn't bad....not real crazy about "flat land," but if it is far enough off the beaten path, may be OK. The ghetto rats can be handled...they aren't that smart, a couple little "surprises" in the approach lanes should deter them. Or turn them into hamburger, whichever you prefer. How far off any main highway is it?

That is one of the problems. There is a paved road by the property. It is not a high traffic road but does goes right by the property. There is not a road currently into the property but it almost completely flat and no trees at all. Either very low scrub brush or plain desert. It could be completely cleared in about two days with a dozer. The good part is it would be very difficult to approach undetected. The bad part is all of the compound would be visible from the paved highway, no place to hide. It will take a decade for enough planted throne type bushes, cactus and mesquite trees to hide the compound, the orchard trees and berry plants. The Greenhouse / Aquaponic setup will be attached to back of house and all the structures will be enclosed by 10 foot high stucco wall. Again not strong enough to stop a military force but enough to trap and educate a ghetto rat patrol. A lot of mixed variables.

That is one of the problems. There is a paved road by the property. It is not a high traffic road but does goes right by the property. There is not a road currently into the property but it almost completely flat and no trees at all. Either very low scrub brush or plain desert. It could be completely cleared in about two days with a dozer. The good part is it would be very difficult to approach undetected. The bad part is all of the compound would be visible from the paved highway, no place to hide. It will take a decade for enough planted throne type bushes, cactus and mesquite trees to hide the compound, the orchard trees and berry plants. The Greenhouse / Aquaponic setup will be attached to back of house and all the structures will be enclosed by 10 foot high stucco wall. Again not strong enough to stop a military force but enough to trap and educate a ghetto rat patrol. A lot of mixed variables.

Could you take a bulldozer and do some "landscaping" to make your THH invisible from the road? Speaking of ghetto rats: https://downtrend.com/rep-keith-ellison-endorses-terrorist-organization/

Going to check out now....my bed is calling me, and it's almost 3 AM. You have a good one.

Build some berms around the structures and use sand colored paints. You'd be surprised at what you could hide in plain sight. The berms will also act as a wind block and a backstop for some target practice.

Build some berms around the structures and use sand colored paints. You'd be surprised at what you could hide in plain sight. The berms will also act as a wind block and a backstop for some target practice.

I have considered the berm concept and the desert color paint. They are all doable but I am not sure how I can prevent vehicles for approaching. I can channel normal folks but Mad Max types are simply going to cross the open flat desert. The original concept required the compound to be out of the public eye. This property is open to view from a paved road and from all the surrounding mountains. Granted the mountains are too far to pose a physical threat but they do make it possible to see the entire compound. I love the property price but I am not sure I am going to be able to devise a defense plan. Place yourselves in the Mad Max groups mind frame. You look out at this large valley and see only one house surrounded by tall green fruit trees, berry bushes and a solar roof and attached greenhouse. Now are you going to pass this up OR are you going to investigate? Being seen is bad enough but being enticing is really bad. The house has to out of view and all the assets (trees and Green house ) have to be semi hidden (blend in with surrounding country side), can't be the only green spot visible. At less than $400 and acre, it is tempting. I could have one heck of a shooting range, even a 1000 yard range and not cross the property line. Anybody that has some suggestion, feel free to jump on in and share. I understand this is not some survivalist forum, but it is something I feel is needed for future preps, for me anyway. The SHTF may never happen and I will end up with one super shooting range and wholesome food.

I have considered the berm concept and the desert color paint. They are all doable but I am not sure how I can prevent vehicles for approaching. I can channel normal folks but Mad Max types are simply going to cross the open flat desert. The original concept required the compound to be out of the public eye. This property is open to view from a paved road and from all the surrounding mountains. Granted the mountains are too far to pose a physical threat but they do make it possible to see the entire compound. I love the property price but I am not sure I am going to be able to devise a defense plan. Place yourselves in the Mad Max groups mind frame. You look out at this large valley and see only one house surrounded by tall green fruit trees, berry bushes and a solar roof and attached greenhouse. Now are you going to pass this up OR are you going to investigate? Being seen is bad enough but being enticing is really bad. The house has to out of view and all the assets (trees and Green house ) have to be semi hidden (blend in with surrounding country side), can't be the only green spot visible. At less than $400 and acre, it is tempting. I could have one heck of a shooting range, even a 1000 yard range and not cross the property line. Anybody that has some suggestion, feel free to jump on in and share. I understand this is not some survivalist forum, but it is something I feel is needed for future preps, for me anyway. The SHTF may never happen and I will end up with one super shooting range and wholesome food.
Since it is the desert, you could dig the orchard area down below grade and prune the trees to keep them below berm height. That would protect them from the wind, blowing sand, help collect and keep rainfall and keep them invisible from the road. What shape is this land parcel? If its square is put it in the center of the property. Having an earth bearmed house would help disguise it and keep it cooler.

Since it is the desert, you could dig the orchard area down below grade and prune the trees to keep them below berm height. That would protect them from the wind, blowing sand, help collect and keep rainfall and keep them invisible from the road. What shape is this land parcel? If its square is put it in the center of the property. Having an earth bearmed house would help disguise it and keep it cooler.

Can you build the house below grade! Not only would it be hidden, temps inside should be steady.

The property is just about a square. Building in the middle is not a problem but even with berms, I am having a difficult time understanding how it would not stick out. The plans currently call of a full basement / cistern system, so burying the house would require a 20 foot deep hole. The berms could hide a portion of the roof outline but the solar panels must be exposed and the Greenhouse has to be exposed. Even pruning the trees woud still require a tall berm, located on a flat parcel. The "Tin Hat House" is not a small get away cabin but a very large (5 bedroom , 3 bath ) house with attached metal and wood shops. Add the RV shed, the Bee house / shed and the septic system methane recovery shed and that is a lot to be hidden by berms. In fairness I should have mentioned all this prior to requesting suggestions. The real trick it how to make the berms look like a natural part of the country side. Scraping up the dirt for the berms is not going to be a problem, but berms in the middle of flat scrub brush is a problem.

On the defensive side, a buried house is not defensible. Plug or drop chemicals down the air vents and it will be evacuation time. Yes you can and would have to have escape tunnels but where do you escape to, you are in the middle of the flat desert scrub. Still open to all suggestions and I do appreciate Terri and Gumpy for their assistance. The Mad Max scenario does make it more difficult to locate and defend.

There is a house here that is bermed on one side. It doesn't have to be completely underground. A low adobe style building wouldn't have a high roof line. Or you could find a place covered with sand dunes. Some of the dunes here are tall enough to hide a house. Most solar panels in our area are ground mounted near a wind block of some sort. Helps protect them from the sand.

There is a house here that is bermed on one side. It doesn't have to be completely underground. A low adobe style building wouldn't have a high roof line. Or you could find a place covered with sand dunes. Some of the dunes here are tall enough to hide a house. Most solar panels in our area are ground mounted near a wind block of some sort. Helps protect them from the sand.

No sand dunes, only low growing scrub brush / dirt. The house with even one floor above ground would be the tallest structure for many miles. Standing in the middle of the property, you can see the roof tops of several building more than a mile away. I had planned to build a 10 foot tall stucco wall around the house and out buildings but that will not hide their presence. The purpose of the wall is to prevent people on the ground from seeing / shooting into the compound. It would not stop a vehicle assault.

I think I am going to have to continue searching for a better location. In this case bigger is not going to be better. This property is like building a lego house on a pool table. No matter what I do, it is going to stand out.

Ever wonder why so many ex military types try and hide their place next to a large body of water or a river ? bugging out on water is fast and can put you out of range quick 2 cents ;)

That puts you in range of sharks and other creepy stuff you can't see under the water. I'd rather be shot.

Ever wonder why so many ex military types try and hide their place next to a large body of water or a river ? bugging out on water is fast and can put you out of range quick 2 cents ;)

It used to be going 2 or 300 yards was out of range. Now it takes 1300 yards to be out of range. Retreating to a body of water and making a quick escape requires a motor and that generate noise. Paddling is not going to be quick. The other problem with a close body of water it the ability for uninvited guests to use it to silently and slowly sneak up. I think most ex military types stay close to water is because they need water to survive and can't afford or want to build cisterns. There also the possibility of fishing to add to the diet. Just my guess on the last part.

The desert is the last place most people are going to want to head for, just the opposite. They will have to leave the area once the cities lose the water supplies. Those that leave early enough are going to head for those places near water. That is just my line of thought. Build where nobody wants to go and then make darn sure you have the bases covered and can survive. Build out of sight but build to defend too. Be completely self sufficient and stay off the grid. Water, food, shelter and power, all located within your own secure compound. Once the start of SHTF, you do not leave the compound. Nobody in and nobody out. Out of sight -- out of mind. The trick is to make it a working operation and not a Bug out location. You have to be living there and it must be self supporting. That way any sudden event happens, the family is already on site.

It used to be going 2 or 300 yards was out of range. Now it takes 1300 yards to be out of range. Retreating to a body of water and making a quick escape requires a motor and that generate noise. Paddling is not going to be quick. The other problem with a close body of water it the ability for uninvited guests to use it to silently and slowly sneak up. I think most ex military types stay close to water is because they need water to survive and can't afford or want to build cisterns. There also the possibility of fishing to add to the diet. Just my guess on the last part.

The desert is the last place most people are going to want to head for, just the opposite. They will have to leave the area once the cities lose the water supplies. Those that leave early enough are going to head for those places near water. That is just my line of thought. Build where nobody wants to go and then make darn sure you have the bases covered and can survive. Build out of sight but build to defend too. Be completely self sufficient and stay off the grid. Water, food, shelter and power, all located within your own secure compound. Once the start of SHTF, you do not leave the compound. Nobody in and nobody out. Out of sight -- out of mind. The trick is to make it a working operation and not a Bug out location. You have to be living there and it must be self supporting. That way any sudden event happens, the family is already on site.
That's my thinking too. Everyone is going to head for water and cooler Temps. You wouldn't catch me anywhere near a lake or river, not that we have many here.

Lizard....you're going to have to find property that has a hidden area in foothills (if there are any foothills), or has natural swales and some greenery. You're absolutely correct, if YOUR place is the only "green spot" for miles, it's going to attract a lot of attention. Granted, you may be able to repel invaders, but that would get mighty tiresome if you had to do it over and over and over, because you are the only "victim in sight!"

Now it takes 1300 yards to be out of range

Anything that will shoot that far accurately will also shoot through most things people think are bullet proof,I'll take my chances in the national forest down the road it has lots of places to hide out that not many know about also has plenty of high ground with creeks and rivers near by not to mention all the protein walking,swimming and flying around :)

I'm not saying that this is the right place. The berm can be made from the excavation of the basement. Next, excavate the orchard to lower the level of the trees for viewing and to make that the lowest point on the property for natural water collection. An even deeper pond area could make readily accessible water for the orchard.

A fence part way up the berm would make driving a car through it very difficult. A friend of mine has a place near Tucson. He has these tall skinny cactus that grow like bamboo and would hide a fence in their middle in a few years.

A sturdy gate with a cattle guard under it would look fairly normal in that area I expect. The cattle guard could be removed when the "do not disturb" sign is on the door. The ditch needs to be wide enough and deep enough to stop a car or truck.

Lizard....you're going to have to find property that has a hidden area in foothills (if there are any foothills), or has natural swales and some greenery. You're absolutely correct, if YOUR place is the only "green spot" for miles, it's going to attract a lot of attention. Granted, you may be able to repel invaders, but that would get mighty tiresome if you had to do it over and over and over, because you are the only "victim in sight!"

I had to pass on the property. While the price and size was good, it was just too flat and barren for too far. Any greenery above 18 inches was going to stand out. I do need either the foothills or swales to hide the property from drive by folks. As you pointed out, I do not want to keep having to prove I can and will repel invaders. Too much trouble and too much work. Defense is completely doable and planned but I don't want to keep having to rinse and repeat. The 3S's could get real old real quick.

I'm not saying that this is the right place. The berm can be made from the excavation of the basement. Next, excavate the orchard to lower the level of the trees for viewing and to make that the lowest point on the property for natural water collection. An even deeper pond area could make readily accessible water for the orchard.

A fence part way up the berm would make driving a car through it very difficult. A friend of mine has a place near Tucson. He has these tall skinny cactus that grow like bamboo and would hide a fence in their middle in a few years.

A sturdy gate with a cattle guard under it would look fairly normal in that area I expect. The cattle guard could be removed when the "do not disturb" sign is on the door. The ditch needs to be wide enough and deep enough to stop a car or truck.

Your suggestion are very valid and are incorporated in the the build. Berms and ditches to channel guests, invited or otherwise. The cactus you mentions is going to be used and with cable and steel pipe posts running down the center line. Very hard to detect after a while and would cause two footed or two wheeled folks a problem. Ditch, berm and then wall surrounding main compound. Orchard, thorn bushes, and cactus to keep folks on the driveway path. Deep and wide ditches on both sides of driveway. Cattle guard gate at entrance to property. Long clear field of fire (360 degrees) from gate to back drive of compound. This is where the active alarms and cameras come into play. Anybody crossing the property line needs to set off some type of alarm (smoke, sound, or camera or a combinations). No trespassing signs of course but not sure what type of additional signs to post. I thought maybe a hazardous medical research type signs. just something to make folks not want to explore.

I had to pass on the property. While the price and size was good, it was just too flat and barren for too far. Any greenery above 18 inches was going to stand out. I do need either the foothills or swales to hide the property from drive by folks. As you pointed out, I do not want to keep having to prove I can and will repel invaders. Too much trouble and too much work. Defense is completely doable and planned but I don't want to keep having to rinse and repeat. The 3S's could get real old real quick.

I evidently clicked the wrong button and my entire post regarding bear meat and the cavern disappeared....if you happen to see it anywhere on the Forum, please let me know where it went!! Now I can't even find YOUR post that I was replying to!! OK, anyway, yes, you don't want to keep having to repeat the wash and rinse cycles. That would get real old, real quick. IF you could find a nice size (2-300 acres) property right in some foothills, where there is a cul-de-sac that is out of sight behind a low foothill or swale, that would be just about ideal.....but would likely involve a LOT of "looking!" Do you have Google Earth? Might be much easier to find something using GE than to physically run around looking at properties....save a lot of gas, too! Pess and I talked a bit about your THH plan when we were out at his Retreat, and I would say it looks like a pretty good plan. The only thing I "don't like" about it is visibility...lot of greenery for people to see, but I'm not real sure what you could do about that unless you can find a hidden cul-de-sac in the foothills, where everything would be out of sight to begin with, except from the air. (And how many marauders are going to have aircraft?)

A word to all....I apparently am pretty good at "losing things!" If I don't respond to your replies, or don't appear to be "liking" your posts, please don't think it is because I'm a crabby old man. I appreciate all your responses (and best wishes for Pess)....I'm just having a hard time keeping up with them and where they are!! I apologize in advance if it appears I am ignoring you, as that is certainly not my intent!!

I evidently clicked the wrong button and my entire post regarding bear meat and the cavern disappeared....if you happen to see it anywhere on the Forum, please let me know where it went!! Now I can't even find YOUR post that I was replying to!! OK, anyway, yes, you don't want to keep having to repeat the wash and rinse cycles. That would get real old, real quick. IF you could find a nice size (2-300 acres) property right in some foothills, where there is a cul-de-sac that is out of sight behind a low foothill or swale, that would be just about ideal.....but would likely involve a LOT of "looking!" Do you have Google Earth? Might be much easier to find something using GE than to physically run around looking at properties....save a lot of gas, too! Pess and I talked a bit about your THH plan when we were out at his Retreat, and I would say it looks like a pretty good plan. The only thing I "don't like" about it is visibility...lot of greenery for people to see, but I'm not real sure what you could do about that unless you can find a hidden cul-de-sac in the foothills, where everything would be out of sight to begin with, except from the air. (And how many marauders are going to have aircraft?)

I have and use Goggle Earth (Pess showed it to me) but there are limits to what it shows. Also much of the property listed does not provide correct address or coordinates. Many of the GE scans are very old and the conditions have changed. I use GE to narrow the search but sometimes you just have to look that gift horse in the mouth. The property around Douglas AZ, looked promising (price wise) but was down in the valley and way to flat. I might as well have installed a Light house beacon showing the way. OR a big neon flashing sigh "Come and Get Me". I have plenty of time and no fixed location except --- no snow, ever! Of course that also means no close or visible neighbors. The hidden cul-de-sac is ideal and I will keep hunting. I am hoping to find land that is worthless for traditional farming or ranching and not near any I do miss Pess and out off line conversations /debates. It is so easy to overlook the obvious and have additional / opposing view points can and does eliminate the mistakes. I decided to look for the land and figured better to buy it now and build late, maybe even a generation later but at least secure a safe viable family site. I think it will be Texas, Arizona, New Mexico or maybe Nevada. I have my doubts about Nevada due to their liberal leaning politics. i drive a site in Nevada that looked extremely viable but did not stop to check it out or even look around. maybe I can find it again on GE. I should have noted which town we were driving by. Oh, well happy hunting time.

Now as for the cavern. The only thing I could figure out was to conceal the entrances, Store food, water, ammo, drones, medical supplies and some spare communication gear. Then the cavern would be a secure fall back position. I think the winters would be a reasonable safe time (snow on ground leaves tracks) but any other season you might need to make a hasty and hopefully temporary departure. This safe stockpile would allow you and the other folks at the Retreat to formulate a plan to reclaim your compound from any uninvited guests. The Retreat already has most of the modern comforts, the only thing lacking an advanced intrude alert system and a renewable food supply. A Pearl Harbor type event could force your group to vacate but you would HAVE to reclaim your supplies and shelter. The same applies for the THH project and measures are planned to perform this task too. Alarms are required but they will not mitigate over whelming numbers. 50 against 5 is not going to work out to well for the 5 if they stay and try to hold their ground. An escape rout is required but neither of us can afford to loose the supplies or the shelter. Pess and I did discuss methods to discourage intruders but we did not discuss the method to reclaim the compounds. That is something you, Robocop, and Pess (?) should discuss.

Thanks for the update on Pess. He will be missed by many and we will be here waiting when he is ready to return (if he ever wants to).

I have and use Goggle Earth (Pess showed it to me) but there are limits to what it shows. Also much of the property listed does not provide correct address or coordinates. Many of the GE scans are very old and the conditions have changed. I use GE to narrow the search but sometimes you just have to look that gift horse in the mouth. The property around Douglas AZ, looked promising (price wise) but was down in the valley and way to flat. I might as well have installed a Light house beacon showing the way. OR a big neon flashing sigh "Come and Get Me". I have plenty of time and no fixed location except --- no snow, ever! Of course that also means no close or visible neighbors. The hidden cul-de-sac is ideal and I will keep hunting. I am hoping to find land that is worthless for traditional farming or ranching and not near any I do miss Pess and out off line conversations /debates. It is so easy to overlook the obvious and have additional / opposing view points can and does eliminate the mistakes. I decided to look for the land and figured better to buy it now and build late, maybe even a generation later but at least secure a safe viable family site. I think it will be Texas, Arizona, New Mexico or maybe Nevada. I have my doubts about Nevada due to their liberal leaning politics. i drive a site in Nevada that looked extremely viable but did not stop to check it out or even look around. maybe I can find it again on GE. I should have noted which town we were driving by. Oh, well happy hunting time.

Now as for the cavern. The only thing I could figure out was to conceal the entrances, Store food, water, ammo, drones, medical supplies and some spare communication gear. Then the cavern would be a secure fall back position. I think the winters would be a reasonable safe time (snow on ground leaves tracks) but any other season you might need to make a hasty and hopefully temporary departure. This safe stockpile would allow you and the other folks at the Retreat to formulate a plan to reclaim your compound from any uninvited guests. The Retreat already has most of the modern comforts, the only thing lacking an advanced intrude alert system and a renewable food supply. A Pearl Harbor type event could force your group to vacate but you would HAVE to reclaim your supplies and shelter. The same applies for the THH project and measures are planned to perform this task too. Alarms are required but they will not mitigate over whelming numbers. 50 against 5 is not going to work out to well for the 5 if they stay and try to hold their ground. An escape rout is required but neither of us can afford to loose the supplies or the shelter. Pess and I did discuss methods to discourage intruders but we did not discuss the method to reclaim the compounds. That is something you, Robocop, and Pess (?) should discuss.
If your dead set on no snow then all of NM is out. Even down here by the border we get some. I'd stay away from the border, if anything happens the cartels will be a problem.

A word to all....I apparently am pretty good at "losing things!" If I don't respond to your replies, or don't appear to be "liking" your posts, please don't think it is because I'm a crabby old man. I appreciate all your responses (and best wishes for Pess)....I'm just having a hard time keeping up with them and where they are!! I apologize in advance if it appears I am ignoring you, as that is certainly not my intent!!

Don't worry about offending anyone here, we all miss things at times. Your part of the family now VenomJ. And a sweety.

The THH project just took a step forward. I found the property. 40 acres at the end of a dirt road and located around a blind knoll and out of visual sight until within about 50 feet. It is at the bottom of a foothill and no over looking heights close by, nothing tall enough to see into the compound once it is built. Price tag, $25,000, that is the listed amount, so we will see what the seller will settle for.

The next step is getting my son and my wife sold. The wife wants to move back to Oregon to be near family and friends and I am not going to live in Oregon. We are working out the logistics so we can both be where we want to live. My son is going to have to get involved as this is going to be the generational property to build the Tin Hat House on. I can buy the land and hold it for him but building the house and the compound is his portion. At least this way the property will be secured for the future. I plan to buy and move a Toy Hauler RV onto the property and then build a shooting range cover and RV Shed to help collect rain water. A septic tank will also be required ASAP. Once the house construction is scheduled to start, I will have the RV moved and the house will be connected to the septic system. A spur line to the septic system will be installed to the RV's new location. Very little wasted money and it is a defensible property. Best of all there is no reason for anybody to be on that dirt road and the house / compound will not be visible from a distance. A few motion detectors and cameras and I will know well in advance if somebody is approaching. Drilling a well may be an option but I won't know until I can get some estimates. Cistern and the Rain Collection system will have to do the job.

Moving forward, I am getting excited.

I am like the old phart above me (Gumpy) I didn't know your friend but I will certainly include him in my prayers. We are glad you joined and please feel free to jump in on any conversations. I never flew a Huey but have had many a ride in one. Once again, we are glad you decided to join us. :great:

Tommy from Az.

The THH project just took a step forward. I found the property. 40 acres at the end of a dirt road and located around a blind knoll and out of visual sight until within about 50 feet. It is at the bottom of a foothill and no over looking heights close by, nothing tall enough to see into the compound once it is built. Price tag, $25,000, that is the listed amount, so we will see what the seller will settle for.

The next step is getting my son and my wife sold. The wife wants to move back to Oregon to be near family and friends and I am not going to live in Oregon. We are working out the logistics so we can both be where we want to live. My son is going to have to get involved as this is going to be the generational property to build the Tin Hat House on. I can buy the land and hold it for him but building the house and the compound is his portion. At least this way the property will be secured for the future. I plan to buy and move a Toy Hauler RV onto the property and then build a shooting range cover and RV Shed to help collect rain water. A septic tank will also be required ASAP. Once the house construction is scheduled to start, I will have the RV moved and the house will be connected to the septic system. A spur line to the septic system will be installed to the RV's new location. Very little wasted money and it is a defensible property. Best of all there is no reason for anybody to be on that dirt road and the house / compound will not be visible from a distance. A few motion detectors and cameras and I will know well in advance if somebody is approaching. Drilling a well may be an option but I won't know until I can get some estimates. Cistern and the Rain Collection system will have to do the job.

Moving forward, I am getting excited.

I'm glad you found something your happy with at a good price.

Back