Weather in your area?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last Thursday it went from beautiful high 70's fall sunny days to by Friday night ..cold rain, snowy put your winter gear on.
I did manage to get the dog walks in between the weather. It was beautiful to watch the clouds morph n dump in the distance.
This am it was partly sunny n cold n by the end of my walk it is snowing now.
Sigh...

Mostly 70s here but got into low 80s. But the stupid AC is heating instead of cooling so its too hot inside. Cooler part of the house was up to 87. Trying to figure out what is wrong with the AC so we can get it to cool again.

Nice warm temp and sunny, BUT, we just had a 42 mph wind gust! The dust is blowing today!😑 This emoji is because ya have to keep your eyes and mouth closed outside!
Damwindy here, even blowing plants over on the patio gaah.
Did someone send us a 'pretendicane':dunno:.
The wind is still blowing hella-strong here, continuously, 3 days later.gaah
It's like the weather is saying: "I know we were supposed to send you a hurricane this year, but this will have to do instead☹️".
I looked at the forecast of the front moving thru about noon tomorrow and that should end it.:)

Windy here too, all day long, but it seems to be dying down for the evening... otherwise, our weather is pretty nice, the storm broke and we have blue skies and late afternoon sunshine, so it's all good. Looks like we'll have a beautiful sunset here in the high desert! Already started on my first beer! Too full to drink earlier, lol... :rolleyes:

The wind is still blowing hella-strong here, continuously, 3 days later.gaah
It's like the weather is saying: "I know we were supposed to send you a hurricane this year, but this will have to do instead☹️".
I looked at the forecast of the front moving thru about noon tomorrow and that should end it.:)
Hurricane????? Please go to rehab!!!😉

Weather just on the tv... Whats hitting @Pearl n @Patchouli will be here after lunch tomorrow. Winds gusts over 60mph expected along with thunderstorms. Oh, goody!

Yall stay safe tonight! Tornado warnings are in texas right now.

@snappy1 @Supervisor42 @zannej @Frodo yall seeing this? It'll get to you at night.

Things calmed down over here and definitely out of any danger zone. Had a nice thunderstorm this evening. Rained, sprinkled off and on for quite a while today. Last night the wind was noisy. Thankful none of the branches have snapped off onto the roof, deck, cars, etc.
61°, cloudy.
1666668025446.png

Things calmed down over here and definitely out of any danger zone. Had a nice thunderstorm this evening. Rained, sprinkled off and on for quite a while today. Last night the wind was noisy. Thankful none of the branches have snapped off onto the roof, deck, cars, etc.
61°, cloudy.
View attachment 96710
Glad the bad stuff stayed west, it sure redeveloped to the east and southeast! That heavy rain was sure nice!!

Beautiful weather here in Alamo, clear blue skies & sunshine, still a bit chilly but the temp should steadily rise with all this sun... high 60s or maybe 70 later! Calmer this morning too, a slight breeze but nothing like yesterday's constant wind! :rolleyes:

Think I'll have a nice cuppa hot chocolate so I can warm my hands on the mug, lol... ;)

Edit: Man, oh man, is that hot chocolate good! And the mug feels good as it warms up these old hands... :)

Oh, yeah, I broke out the Carharrt 'watch cap' or 'beanie cap' this morning for the first time this fall... helps keep me warm so I don't have to rack up a huge heating bill (yet). 😒

Last edited:
We are supposed to have rain all day. First time all season our golf game has been rained out. :cry:

Oh well. We desparately need the rain. The Mississippi is at critically low levels, making it difficult for barge traffic, which means grain isn't gong anywhere. We can play golf tomorrow.

Darned if that wind didn't rise again, it has been cooler than expected down here in the Tularosa Basin... which means it must be chilly in the mountains, so maybe it's a good thing to stay in the Basin tomorrow and ride the ditch on my pedal bike. That exercise will warm me up too... dunno why I've felt so cold today, I almost kicked the heater on, but I ate some hot food instead and warmed my hands doing the dishes. :)

I may kick the heater on tonight before I go to bed, just to warm the house up to 68 or 70 degrees before I turn off the heater... that way, nothing freezes under my home (plumbing, I mean). Jeez, I used to withstand cold weather really well, I'd be the only one wearing a T-shirt when others already wore jackets or hoodies, but I seem more susceptible to cold weather nowadays, must be old age creeping up on me. 🥶

Anyway, I'm gonna get cleaned up with a nice HOT shower, then run to town and pick up some things I need. I could wait until tomorrow to do this, but I'd like to get out in the sunshine during what will be the "warmest" part of the day. I also wanna see if I can pick up some brewer's yeast in Alamo, otherwise I'm gonna hafta order it online, and I don't much like doing that, based on general principle. Debit card security, ya know? Meh, at least it's a "chip card." :confused:

We are supposed to have rain all day. First time all season our golf game has been rained out. :cry:

Oh well. We desparately need the rain. The Mississippi is at critically low levels, making it difficult for barge traffic, which means grain isn't gong anywhere. We can play golf tomorrow.
Good day to do dishes😉😁

Looks like it's going right through to Louisiana!😉
Ok, we got nuthin'! ☹️. Thinking about filing for a refund:mad:.
I think all y'all dry Texans drained every drop out of it.gaah
I watched the (killer) front, pass overhead sending all the clouds away and dragging in perfect blue-sky to replace it.
Beautiful weather today:thumbs:.

I got a few little showers in the am. This afternoon the main line of storms arrived. Very little wind but got an inch of rain in about 40min. Very little run off, the ground was so dry it drank it all up.

Sun popped out afterwards, pleasantly warm till dark.

Ok, we got nuthin'! ☹️. Thinking about filing for a refund:mad:.
I think all y'all dry Texans drained every drop out of it.gaah
I watched the (killer) front, pass overhead sending all the clouds away and dragging in perfect blue-sky to replace it.
Beautiful weather today:thumbs:.
I'm getting more Thursday night and Friday. I'll try to send you something stronger!! NOT A HURRICANE! You'll have to settle for something with a little less kick!!

Ice in the birdbaths for the first time this fall! Just a thin layer in each, easily broken by wild birds... but the nights are definitely getting chillier! Should be a fine day for riding the ditch in town, the high should be up around 70... not as much goldurned wind this morning, so that should allow the temp to climb a bit higher than it did yesterday. I'm looking forward to riding the ditch in this excellent fall weather, beats riding in triple-digit heat! I'm hoping to catch some fast & exciting video for friends & family who live out of state (some overseas in Europe & Asia). Cold beer & BBQ later, maybe a campfire this evening at the ol' hacienda! Should be a perfect evening for it! Cheers!!! :camping:

Wind kicked up again something fierce... I'm quietly reading a book, so I can hear all the wind-related noises this home & its eaves make. Not a problem, I like the wind, as an old sailor I think "free power" whenever I hear it. Maybe I should get a windmill, it'd certainly come in handy here... use it to charge batteries or something. Windmills are probably heller expensive though... if I were a welder or even a better metalworker, I'd make one, the old canvas & wood numbers would probably get ripped to shreds here, lol. 😳

Beautiful morning, still a bit chilly... thought there'd be ice in the birdbaths, but the temp must have gotten down to just above freezing, so no ice. Gonna be a fine day today, same for tomorrow according to the forecast. I thought about going riding today, but I believe I'll "man up" and tackle that front porch, I'd like to get a protective coating of some sort down on that old plywood deck, just for added protection from the elements, ya know? 😁

I figure I'll roll out some Kilz, or maybe even some elastomeric coating, since I have a ton of that left in my 'War Room'---that old plywood deck is simply gonna be covered with new plywood, I am NOT gonna bother pulling it up first, I believe that might open a can of worms which I do not wanna deal with, not when it's easier to cover it with more ply. The old ply isn't rotten or anything, it's just old and looks like 40 miles of bad road, lol. :oops:

The way I see it, ANY coating will offer more protection in the long run... once the new ply is down, I intend to coat it first, THEN lay down some vinyl, either in roll form or adhesive tiles. Ultimately, I'll put some metal flashing down, or whatever that thin painted metal is that resembles angle iron... I'll run that all the way around the edges of the porch, I did that with the old covered wooden deck in Benson (after putting down utility carpet), and it turned out very well. :)

One thing about this home rehab, it's easy to get burned out on it when faced with multiple seemingly-endless tasks! But a "home moaner" has to look at the 'Big Picture' and envision just how the home will look once he (or she) is done with it. I envision a primo *new* front porch perfect for a-settin' near the BBQ, overlooking my little slice of rural heaven and all the trees, wildlife, etc. Friends will join me: I have a couple of very nice folding camp chairs along with my old rocker. 😏

I'm also thinking of building or installing a painted wooden bench across the northern end of the porch... that will give the cats something higher to sit or lie on, and offer additional seating for us primates, lol. In the long run, once I'm done with the porch project, everything will be covered or painted to match everything else: I see a vinyl-covered porch deck with nice metal flashing around the edges, the porch railings & front steps painted forest green to match the skirting, and the home painted white or off-white (for reflecting summer sun and lowering cooling costs---why my roof is also white). 🙄

Oh, hell, here I am rambling on about my home in the WEATHER thread, lol... but there IS a connection, since FINE DAYS like today are GREAT for working on outdoor projects! I've already made up my mind: I'm gonna work on the front porch today, as that will be a good way to climb back onto the home rehab horse... same goldurned cayuse which THREW ME awhile back, lol. Meh, sometimes ya gots to take a break, then climb back aboard that pesky goldurned animal... 😒

So, no riding today... but the GOOD NEWS is that I have a fridge full o' beer, plus leftover Baby Back Ribs & NY Strip Steaks!!! So that "work" on the front porch won't be an utterly thankless task, lol. I need to "familiarize" myself with paint rollers again (I've painted homes countless times in the past, lol), that way I can segue into painting the kitchen and the two bathrooms after I'm done coating the porch (for now, the new ply goes down later). Some cold beer and a nice hot steak & cheese sandwich with all the trimmings will make the job go easier, lol... I won't feel entirely like some SLAVE building the goldurned PYRAMIDS in Giza, the WHIP cracking down upon my back, BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! CHEERS!!! 😎

Last edited:
Back