Weather in your area?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hazy hot and humid until friday and a chance of thunderstorms every day

Another .11 last night. It started at 2am, had just went to bed. A strong line of storms moving very fast. There was no warning from the weather man. Of course the power went off. I had to fire up the generator to see the internet weather map, didn't know how bad it was going to get.

I was up nursing the generator until 4:30am. Been catching up on sleep all day, a nap here, a nap there.

Today most of the storms were down near @timmie

Last year we had very severe drought at our location. Over winter we did get some moisture and just a little more this spring. Because of the drought, there was very little forage for animals in my area. This caused severe harm to our wild elk population. Because of the poor forage during winter the weakened pregnant cow elk absorbed their fetuses (aborted) so this year there are basically no elk babies. A couple days ago I watched a herd of about 50 cow elk and there was not one calf in the bunch. Obviously the poor forage is also very troublesome for the area ranchers ( the major industry in our county).

The bulk of our yearly rainfall occurs during the monsoon season in July and August and on the news they said they expect the monsoon to be delayed this year. I fear the worst but hope for more rain. Only time will provide the answer to how much rain we get.
Currently there are several wildfires burning in our state. None are very close to our home though we did get some smoke some days. Our home place has excellent fire mitigation and I do not worry about being burned out (though we could be smoked out). This is proving to be a troubling summer.

We've had some rain everyday this week. Yesterday was very nice and clear, but late in the evening we had a bad storm roll thru. Winds topped 50mph and toppled trees all over the area. Many thousands were without power for hours. Ours was down for 9+ hours overnight. We had .80" rain this morning. Before we left around 1 pm we have another .18".

Teddy Ruxpin has a public service announcement. As the dog days of summer near, stay hydrated, stay cool and stay safe!!

Attachments

• P6290001.jpg
    P6290001.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 47
  • Screen Shot 2019-06-29 at 5.08.57 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-06-29 at 5.08.57 PM.png
    191.4 KB · Views: 46

Latest posts

Back