Weather in your area?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
we got 4 inches of snow and a tiny bit of ice on top yesterday and last night. Digging out today.
Then snow and ice on saturday
Then more snow and ice on tuesday
Hard to believe that my AG calendar says to start my celery and leeks seeds this week
And start cabbage and collards next week

20 degrees F, 1.6 inches of snow yesterday, and it's snowing again. Making up for that past couple years of milder winters.

Ice and more ice...terrible today...100 car pile up in Ft. Worth
1613064782619.png

Winter has arrived in full force, or it will this weekend. Weather has been cold (below freezing) with very light snow. Just enough to cover the ground, but roads are all clear. This weekend we are supposed to get it big time. Temps will be below 0, and 5" of snow predicted for Sunday. Good weekend to stay inside.

@ 4 AM it was 21 deg.

Right now is 26 deg.

Iced over everything thing.
Temps will start dropping.
They are still predicting 15" of snow. Sunday night thru Monday.
Wouldn't some hurricane leftovers go good right about now?
78° and 60mph winds would thaw that right out!
Where's our global-warming Greta when we really need her?
go crazy.gif

They are saying our low for Monday will be 13°. :oops: (I'm not buying it)
NoDeal.gif

If it does, you can say hell has truly frozen-over!!!

Compared to Cnsper and some others, I'm having tee-shirt and flip-flop weather. But this old swamp girl ain't going outside. Minus five degrees below zero. So, yeah, this:

Winter Poem.png

The ice storms are finally headed my way... weatherman is saying I might get a little over the next few days. I hope there is very little and promptly melts.

Here, try this.

It might work for my family in New Orleans, too. My brother is all excited: "It's gonna SNOW in New Orleans Monday!!!!!!!"

Haha, last time that happened, people were all coming out of their homes and workplaces to gaze at the absolute wonderment floating out of the sky. Kids played in the stuff until it all melted away in a few hours, then they cried...

And so now, a long time has passed and history is repeating itself once more; their children will now get to play in a little once in a lifetime snow.

How the Deep South handles a freeze.png

Last edited:
Just a little tip, put some kitty litter in your vehicle. If you are stuck on ice just throw a handful under the tires
Kitty litter works when you get stuck on ice, but so does sand. I used to keep a bag of sand in my trunk.
This reminded me of college days in South Dakota, some of the most fun times in my life. It was often so cold in Aberdeen, and that was probably because it was closer to northern Minnesota, another very cold place. It was always one of the coldest places in the state, while Rapid City, on the other side of the state, is in a banana belt. As college kids we lived in dorms, but sought fun and socialization. We used to get a car load of us and drive around just for fun, looking for fun, and at the huge piles of snow from plowed lots and spin donuts in the unplowed lots. We did get stuck, but when you have a carload, you have more people to help push a stuck car out. I saw more than one situation where the snow flew out from the rear tires and went over those who were out there pushing. It was a sight, but good memories and a time when we had good clean fun.

Just a little tip, put some kitty litter in your vehicle. If you are stuck on ice just throw a handful under the tires
Floor mats work well too. Pull one out of your passenger seat and shove it tightly up under the tire. Slowly drive over it - the point is to use it for traction, not shoot it out the back end of your vehicle like a missile.

Well, we got about 2" inches of snow on Thursday and the ground was warm enough to melt some of it and then it froze and we got 12 inches on Friday over the ice. Today it is impractical to drive anywhere. Even the 4 wheel drive truck doesn't want to go in a straight line so it is taking the day off. We are expecting more snow today, another six inches or so and then warmer temps on Sunday. Monday the temps will drop again for a snow day. That is going to be a mess. On Tuesday temps are expected to get into the 40s with some rain. Then temps are supposed to stay above freezing as spring takes hold. We will see... ;)

We remain in the deep freeze....has been 21 degrees most of the day...everything is frozen outside...the city asked churches and businesses not vital to using gas to shut down as the gas supply for our town is getting low...we are on natural gas but we also have two wood stoves in our house...some are calling the city because their water is frozen...ours is still on, we let it drip slowly...also have rain water stored up, piped into the cold water in one bathroom so we always have access as long as the lines are not frozen, have lights on outside under the pumps..there is the threat of rolling blackouts, but we do have some battery operated lights here in the house....I hate cold weather....we will be in this pattern for another seven days, or so they say....UGH !!

Snowed on Thursday, I cleaned the drives on Friday, we got 1/2" of Ice today. Our driveway is on a slope and our street is also sloped, last time I tried to take out the trash in this kind of weather I found myself flat on my back admiring the stars..... I think I'll stay indoors for a while...

Last edited:
Back