What Are You Having For Dinner

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My "work from home wife" (her new official title) is making some kind of slow cooker Chinese food (<- Ooops! Now I am a racist!). She described it as being similar to Mongolian Beef. Plus she will be making riced cauliflower.

Saturday we had cheese burgers ( done on Griddler) and oven fries

Had the same on sunday ( had to use up the burgers)

Today I took 1/3 of the pork roast I had made, thawed it and have some chili simmering on the stove right now. Might go Cincinnati and add macaroni to it like when I was a kid. Just for some "comfort" food 😉

I made dinner on Saturday, which means I shouldn't have to on Sunday, but nobody else did either, which meant eat the stuff that's still in the fridge...
so today I said what're yall fixin' for dinner?
:LOL: cuz I tell ya what, I am not like Amish Heart who fixes breakfast, lunch and dinner every day. Huh uh. She's a great food preparer. Me? Not so much. So, they're fixing something...chicken in the oven, mixed veggies, rice.

What is it? When I was a child we used to have something called Halupsi, which is cabbage rolls with beef inside.
Halupsi (Cabbage Rolls) -
Looks like they also call them pig in a blanket in North Dakota. They make them with rice. I wonder if substituting cauliflower rice would work?

https://prairiecalifornian.com/halupsi-cabbage-rolls/Ingredients
  1. 1 1/2 - 2 lbs. ground beef
  2. 1 medium onion, diced
  3. 3 cloves garlic, minced
  4. 1/2 cup carrots, shredded
  5. 1 1/2 cups rice, uncooked
  6. Salt and pepper
  7. 2 teaspoons paprika
  8. 1 large head cabbage, cored
  9. 2 - 10 oz cans tomato soup
  10. Heavy cream
https://www.afamilyfeast.com/haluski-fried-cabbage-noodles/Haluski INGREDIENTS
  • 2 ounces pancetta, diced small (or bacon if you prefer)
  • 6 tablespoons butter, divided
  • 2 cups onion, diced
  • 1 ½ pounds green cabbage, cored and cut into bite-sized pieces
  • 1 ½ teaspoons kosher salt
  • ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 6 ounces dry No Yolks® egg noodles, any size noodle

Halupsi (Cabbage Rolls) -
Looks like they also call them pig in a blanket in North Dakota. They make them with rice. I wonder if substituting cauliflower rice would work?

https://prairiecalifornian.com/halupsi-cabbage-rolls/Ingredients
  1. 1 1/2 - 2 lbs. ground beef
  2. 1 medium onion, diced
  3. 3 cloves garlic, minced
  4. 1/2 cup carrots, shredded
  5. 1 1/2 cups rice, uncooked
  6. Salt and pepper
  7. 2 teaspoons paprika
  8. 1 large head cabbage, cored
  9. 2 - 10 oz cans tomato soup
  10. Heavy cream

That is a lot like my Mom used to make, sans the carrots and replace diced tomatoes for the tomato soup.

I make something similar (we call it "deconstructed halupsi") only instead of making the rolls, I used shredded cabbage and browned ground beef mixed with tomatoes, garlic, onion, butter, and seasonings. We started out having it with riced cauliflower and then just decided it didn't need it.

I make a vegetarian version for husband, but it's not my favorite. Roll up slightly cooked cabbage leaf with chopped portobellas, onion, tomato, grated cheese, and diced zucchini. Do a bunch in a pan, pour tomato sauce on top and bake.
I prefer it with hamburger and cheese. Actually, I prefer Bierocks. Make a dough, cut in a circle, fill with cooked hamburger, grated cheese, shredded cooked cabbage. Bake and then dip in a little tomato sauce. I have a bierock cutter, too.
Tonight's dinner is chicken, cooked carrots, brussel sprouts, wheat bread, and baked potato.

Latest posts

Back