What Are You Having For Dinner

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds wonderful!
"Mett is short for Mettwurst, a German smoked pork sausage that, in its original form, is something you might spread on toast like liverwust. In Cincinnati it's closer to kielbasa, grilled and served on buns with mustard and grilled onions."

You are probably one of the people who also eats Cincinnati chili over macaroni.

I grew up eating that because I had 2 brothers who could eat a loaf of bread at one meal. So in order to stretch the leftover chili we added macaroni to feed us all. ;)

And no we are not from Cincinnati :D

Sounds wonderful!
"Mett is short for Mettwurst, a German smoked pork sausage that, in its original form, is something you might spread on toast like liverwust. In Cincinnati it's closer to kielbasa, grilled and served on buns with mustard and grilled onions."

You are probably one of the people who also eats Cincinnati chili over macaroni.

Weedy I bet there are lots of those kinds of foods in The German Belt States.

The most dense German-American populations are in the "German belt" -- Wisconsin, Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, and Iowa. Politics & Government German-American political participation was more focused on involvement in the labor movement than in government.
aslo soem inthe south too.

My daughters 1st. husband was part German and Jew,mother was German father was Jew.They had 2 sons but they hated each other and always argued over WW11

She could cook some great meals.
Mostly ending in Wurst or beginning with German.

Last edited:
Weedy I bet there are lots of those kinds of foods in The German Belt States.

The most dense German-American populations are in the "German belt" -- Wisconsin, Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, and Iowa. Politics & Government German-American political participation was more focused on involvement in the labor movement than in government.
Around 1850, there was a Catholic bishop who did lots of recruiting of German people to immigrate and move to the Dubuque, Iowa area. One set of gg grandparents came over and settled, not in Dubuque, but in the area. Other relatives came over, but moved further away.

I am half German, half Czech. I did not get exposed to many varieties of German foods growing up, but I take advantage of eating German and Czech food every chance I get. I could cook it more, but potatoes are a mainstay in German and Czech cooking. Germans and Czechs love potatoes in many forms. When I was growing up, kraut was a common food for us. I buy and eat kraut, but only have a few cans of potatoes that I know are out of date. I do have some sausage that I am going to use to make some lentil stew with. Liverwurst is one thing I love, but haven't had in a long time. It is probably in the stores, but I haven't looked for it.

We ate a ton of German foods when I was growing up. Mostly because my Grandmother on my Dad's side was nearly pure German and could cook like a pro. And she was! She cooked for a local resteraunt and made German foods for the deli counter or a grocery store. So my Mom learned to make all of those classic German dishes to keep my Dad happy and well fed. She then passed much of those recipes and cooking styles to me and my siblings. I didn't even realize we weren't all 100% German until I was school age. We still celebrate Deutsches Fest (German Feast) every summer at our family get together.

Well, late afternoon lunch today , during our self imposed lock in.

We're gonna be ok.
IMG_20200315_121018611.jpg

Pair of Ribeyes, room temp, 30 min under kosher salt, then the grill.
Big tossed salad, baked potatoes.

Update.
This being isolated is rough.
IMG_20200315_125723847.jpg

Happy camper.

Jim

Last edited:
There is no food in our grocery stores any more. I don't know when they'll be able to re-stock. We are not super-preppers with a year of food stashed away. We're good for maybe two months. In addition to the canned and dry foods saved up for a rainy day, we do have about 20 large steaks in the freezer and maybe half that many pork chops. That could go a long way, but I might get tired of eating steak (I never thought I'd hear myself say that!) I'm saving that meat for later, to be mixed in with the other food stores. They'll last quite a while - vacuum sealed. We also have maybe 10 or so frozen dinners. We normally use those for emergency food when we don't want to run to the store or cook - like after I get home from class at 10pm (which is now canceled). Now I'm saving them as "the good stuff".

So tonight I had ... baked potato. Well, actual two of them, since they were small. We had about half a bag of Idahos that were starting to suffer from forgotten-ness. A little green in places and starting to grow root stubs. So I figured rather than wasting food, I'd eat those. Under normal times they might have ended up in the compost bin in a few more days. I topped off dinner with a treat - two Oreo cookies.

So we're eating our routine foods found laying around the house that have short life left before we break into any stored goods. If I have to eat one more bagel for breakfast I'm going to scream. I like them, but in limited quantities, not day after day. While we can indeed freeze them, I don't want the cream cheese to go bad and be wasted. I do have a bag of Captain Crunch, but that's in long term supplies/treats since it will last for 150 years with no detectable change in quality. Eggs are being saved for a treat later.

We have food to survive on. But not food to make nice full dinners every day (unless steak and instant mashed potatoes every night flips your switch). I don't really like canned veges. We have those, but our normal dinners are made with fresh veges - something we are low on, and the grocery stores are totally out of. No veges, no fruit, no meat, no eggs, no bread, no canned goods, no frozen meat/veges, no paper products - the store is really barren. Even if I wanted to eat a can of those gross Vienna Sausages or Spam, none of those to be found either.

It's like Venezuela around here. No food. All activities are closed ... sporting events, libraries, gyms, schools, churches, many work places, many stores. Can't visit mom - her senior independent living facility is locked down. Did Bernie get elected and I missed that?

Around 1850, there was a Catholic bishop who did lots of recruiting of German people to immigrate and move to the Dubuque, Iowa area. One set of gg grandparents came over and settled, not in Dubuque, but in the area. Other relatives came over, but moved further away.

I am half German, half Czech. I did not get exposed to many varieties of German foods growing up, but I take advantage of eating German and Czech food every chance I get. I could cook it more, but potatoes are a mainstay in German and Czech cooking. Germans and Czechs love potatoes in many forms. When I was growing up, kraut was a common food for us. I buy and eat kraut, but only have a few cans of potatoes that I know are out of date. I do have some sausage that I am going to use to make some lentil stew with. Liverwurst is one thing I love, but haven't had in a long time. It is probably in the stores, but I haven't looked for it.

Interesting, I didn't realize the Germans ate so many potatoes, I know the Irish did they even named one after them . Also I think the Irish immigrated here in droves because of the potato Famine and starvation.

Sorry about that Haertig. If you lived closer, I'd make sure you were well kept in eggs. We don't eat 2-3 dz a day, which is what I'm getting. Gave daughter's boyfriend 2 dz today, youngest daughter a dz. We gave away 8 dz to various senior neighbors, and I'm still at 14 dz right now. We are staying home, so I don't want to put an egg sign out and attract people I don't know right now.

Interesting, I didn't realize the Germans ate so many potatoes, I know the Irish did they even named one after them . Also I think the Irish immigrated here in droves because of the potato Famine and starvation.
Most of Europe didn't really have potatoes until around 1775-1780. France had them earlier than many other countries. They were and are an easy thing to grow. They were really a good food for peasants to grow and eat. Germans make potato pancakes, dumplings, potato salad. My German grandfather liked them. We would have them boiled with their skin on, spuds with jackets.

Sorry about that Haertig. If you lived closer, I'd make sure you were well kept in eggs.
Thanks. We're good. We have food. We can go for months. I'm also setting aside some of our already set-aside food for my son. He's in another town, but close. He's not as well prepped, being the typical young, normally starving, low income, kid who is on his own. OK, "thirty year old kid", but still our kid. He got an early Christmas present from us yesterday - a pack of toilet paper and some frozen enchiladas! He was pretty excited.

I can't really help our daughter much - she's living in Hawaii. Not a panic there yet, just a few items going missing from the stores. They're worried about the lack of tourists for the state, since that's their major source of income and employment, even though her job is not directly tourist related. Also, pretty much all their daily needs have to be shipping in. But they have the ocean, and her freezer is packed full of fish. She went out yesterday and captured some lobsters for dinner. Avocados and mangoes grow everywhere. She normally has to scare off wild pigs, wild chickens and other wildlife. I guess all those wild animals would all be fair game to harvest and eat. A ton of geckos too - but you'd have to gather a million of those to make one sandwich (just joking, I don't think they're edible!) She's been there 2-1/2 months now, and the text message she sent tonight was "Living in Hawaii means when you go for a walk in your neighborhood, you get chased off by a turkey and then you get startled by a peacock fluttering into your neighbor's tree." Sounds like potential good eating to me!

My last two posts have drifted far from the original topic of this thread, so I'll stop. And leave it at "Due to the stupid coronavirus panic, my dinner was baked potatoes and Oreo's!"

She normally has to scare off wild pigs, wild chickens and other wildlife. I guess all those wild animals would all be fair game to harvest and eat. A ton of geckos too - but you'd have to gather a million of those to make one sandwich (just joking, I don't think they're edible!) She's been there 2-1/2 months now, and the text message she sent tonight was "Living in Hawaii means when you go for a walk in your neighborhood, you get chased off by a turkey and then you get startled by a peacock fluttering into your neighbor's tree." Sounds like potential good eating to me!

May I suggest your care package to daughter consist of a crossbow and a good supply of blots and tips? ;) I have a horton crossbow that suits my needs... around $250 when I bought it... prices probably have gone up.

Today I plan to fry 3 small chicken breasts ( pound them thin so they cook fast), make taco rice and have some canned peas for supper

I'm also thawing out 2 small ( 1& 1/2 lbs each) pork loins. I'll cook those in the slow cooker tomorrow. Save one and freeze it to use later on for something.

May I suggest your care package to daughter consist of a crossbow and a good supply of blots and tips? ;) I have a horton crossbow that suits my needs... around $250 when I bought it... prices probably have gone up.

Is that aka bow and arror? IWe bought one and I gave up after the whelps and strips but hubby took right up with it. He alqays was able to do things like he could ski like a champ, I told frienf he could probbly ski on his head. I seldom make it out of the water on one.

May I suggest your care package to daughter consist of a crossbow and a good supply of blots and tips?
Not a bad idea. She moved to Hawaii with one duffel bag and one backpack. The plan being to acquire what she needed once there. Shipping personal belongings (and preps!) would have been outrageously expensive (cost more to ship then it did to buy). It was tough for her to leave all her kitchen gear, climbing gear, fencing gear, SUV, bicycles, etc. behind. She did take her scuba gear in the duffel, since she needed that for her job. Her husband joined her 1-1/2 months later ... with another duffel and a suitcase. They have a place rented now, and are packing the freezer with fish. She can gather herself an unlimited supply of fish when she dives. Good ones. Big ones.

Slow cooked pork loin with red potatoes and baby carrots.I'll have Brussels sprouts with my pork but my wife and brother get everything in the pot! For desert, we have the only real cookies in the world - oatmeal chocolate chip cookies - and they are colling on the rack as I type.

I may go off my KETO long enough to have just one... or two. :)

You sir, will eat anything. I like that!

We had burrito bowls tonight with homemade queso and ground beef.

Kids were home all day so the girls baked cookies, so I had one of their Keto cookies but not one of the dark chocolate chip cookies. Although it did call to me. ;)

We had burrito bowls tonight with homemade queso and ground beef.

Kids were home all day so the girls baked cookies, so I had one of their Keto cookies but not one of the dark chocolate chip cookies. Although it did call to me. ;)
You Sir, are a stronger man than I. I salute you!

Sentry,
I have to confess that I ate two of the only real cookies in the world. I couldn't resist the oatmeal, chocolate chip and walnut cookies I baked for my wife and brother. I expect they will be gone by mid morning so I will only have the two. (I only made 27 cookies) My brother will get the majority. :)

Well, late afternoon lunch today , during our self imposed lock in.

We're gonna be ok.
View attachment 37118
Pair of Ribeyes, room temp, 30 min under kosher salt, then the grill.
Big tossed salad, baked potatoes.

Update.
This being isolated is rough.
View attachment 37124

Happy camper.

Jim
Those plates are just like mine. Except mine have faded cuz of many kids and high heat dishwashing. Anyway, they look lovely, so does the food.
Tonight I had a chili cheese dog and lemonade. I don't eat as well as I used to.

Latest posts

Back