What Are You Having For Dinner

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well thinkin it's 'about that time again'.. Our legendary 'Pulled-Pork Chili'.. :cool:

Though, we make a 'bastardized' version (I am told by some 'Texas purists' that these are considered 'abominations', but.. Meh, it's Delicious.. 😛) with Lots of large, chunk stewed tomatoes, kidney and black beans, and both sweet white, and yellow Corn, and Salvadorean-style 'tortillas' ripped into chunks, just at serving.

..but First, the Pulled-Pork prep:

- Large Pork shoulder
- Several large cloves garlic
- Course mill-ground sea salt
- Very course mill-ground pepper
- Large can condensed milk (14 oz)
- 20oz bottle Coca-cola ('Mexi-coke', the Classic in Glass, with cane sugar, is a Must, NOT 'diet' or 'zero', yukk..)
- 1-2 Whole cinnamon sticks..
- 1-2 bay leaves
- Cilantro
- Sliced-Onion (optional)
- Rosemary (optional)
- Cumin (optional)
- Red Pepper-flakes (optional)

..Slice the pork in various spots / Insert cloves of garlic, press / rub-in course sea salt, ground coarse pepper; put in crock pot w/ condensed milk, Coke, cinnamon, bay leaves and cilantro / onions / spices, etc, and top-up w/ water; Here's roughly how it should look, pre-cook:

Coke-Milk-Cinna-Pork.jpg

(...this is Obviously before adding the Coke / Cond-Milk.. Figured I'd put a snap of it Before - since after adding all that, it just looks like a big pot of dog barf.. 😬

Simmer 4-6 hrs, min, or, however-long you usually prefer for your own Pulled-pork prep. Drain, extract Pork-chunks, and Shred (though this just usually Falls-apart - very little 'shredding' is needed..) and add (whatever..) spices and add-ins, You / Fam like for your Chili base (Though, yes, this recipe 'compliments' Very well with Beer, in the final Chili-mix..)

..Or, simply toss in yer favorite BBQ-sauce, and pile on a sesame bun with some Onion-slices, more sauce, and wash it down with the Beer you'd planned for the Chili-pot. ;) Either way, it's Flavor-heaven. :cool:

jd

Mrs. Sparky made Meatloaf with steamed potatoes and grilled asparagus

I've been craving meatloaf! Was eyeing some precooked meatloafs at the market Friday. Then I saw small ribeye's on sale, 3 for $12.50.

Tonight I pan fried a nice ribeye, finished it in the oven, I fixed garlic toast and a salad, pie for dessert.

Navy beans going in crock pot on low.
Corn bread with real butter
Fried potatoes with green onions, diced red, yellow, orange and green peppers.
Pan fried chicken fried steak
Green beans with silvered almonds, baby pearl onions.
coffee
vanilla ice cream
And I have leftovers too.

I'm gonna cook a couple hot dogs and cover them in a bowl of baked beans.

Actually that don't sound bad, add a couple slices of Boston brown bread. I have a hard time finding it.

reheated pot roast. Had to get up at 8 and drive an hour to get my second covid shot. Since I normally go to bed at 6-7 that meant no sleep so its an easy dinner tonight.

Latest posts

Back