What Are You Having For Dinner

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
last night I made Tom Kha Gai soup - thai soup with garlic, ginger, chicken, onions, mushrooms, tomatoes (coconut milk and chicken stock) with some curry paste. Excited for leftovers for lunch!
Trying to figure out what to make for dinner.

Recipe please? I do a lot of asian cooking, My Jet Tila cookbook is well worn. I like soups also, make a pretty mean seafood hot n sour soup. I have everything you listed except coconut milk.

Dinner last night, bad... because of cfs I keep frozen dinner/pizza in the house. At least once a week I find myself too exhausted to make dinner, a microwave is simpler.

Last night I had a frozen meatloaf and gravy... it had the texture of soggy dressing, mushy. They had used so many breadcrumbs I thought about making toast. At least it'd have dried out a little. I told myself not to buy it at the store. But did I listen?

Last night it was pound of pinto beans(that was hiding in the cupboard) must have helpers that day.
Fixed in crock pot, with diced onions, red,green,yellow, orange peppers picked from the garden.
Along with the last of the okra, thinly sliced leftover rib eye steak slow smoked with hickory.
YUM!
Tonight will be Garlic buttery shrimp Alfredo served with Angel Hair Pasta.
Shrimp and Alfredo sauce is leftovers from birthday dinner.
Tomorrow night is leftovers from leftovers.

Last night I had a frozen meatloaf and gravy... it had the texture of soggy dressing, mushy. They had used so many breadcrumbs I thought about making toast. At least it'd have dried out a little. I told myself not to buy it at the store. But did I listen?
I feel your meatloaf pain. I've tried all the frozen ones I can find, they are all 💩 . A couple of local family run restaurants have a good meatloaf, so it's either check to see if they have it, or make my own( my own is kind iffy sometimes :( )

Last night it was pound of pinto beans(that was hiding in the cupboard) must have helpers that day.
Fixed in crock pot, with diced onions, red,green,yellow, orange peppers picked from the garden.
Along with the last of the okra, thinly sliced leftover rib eye steak slow smoked with hickory.
YUM!
Tonight will be Garlic buttery shrimp Alfredo served with Angel Hair Pasta.
Shrimp and Alfredo sauce is leftovers from birthday dinner.
Tomorrow night is leftovers from leftovers.
Yum, you might have a bunch of us showing up at your door from all directions😁😀👍

I feel your meatloaf pain. I've tried all the frozen ones I can find, they are all 💩 . A couple of local family run restaurants have a good meatloaf, so it's either check to see if they have it, or make my own( my own is kind iffy sometimes :( )
All meatloaf can be iffy! Yet, now I'm hungry for meatloaf!

The only one that is edible is Stoffers (with enough ketchup). The rest are pitiful.

This one was an expensive grocery store brand. I only stop there for fresh ginger root and other veggies I can't get else where. I won't make the mistake of walking past their cooler of prepared entree's again.

I made my first meatloaf this summer. It was actually good. I messed up the glaze but it tasted fine. I guess I'll make another one and freeze the slices.

The only one that is edible is Stoffers (with enough ketchup). The rest are pitiful.

This one was an expensive grocery store brand. I only stop there for fresh ginger root and other veggies I can't get else where. I won't make the mistake of walking past their cooler of prepared entree's again.

I made my first meatloaf this summer. It was actually good. I messed up the glaze but it tasted fine. I guess I'll make another one and freeze the slices.
Here is our secret family recipe :). Don't tell grandma and mom I squealed :)

https://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/home-style-meatloaf/a88edb8e-d80a-4b01-b91a-b6f89a9fd101

It's gonna be interesting, an unlabeled jar of Stuff from the freezer is thawing for dinner as I type :). Could be chili, taco or sloppy joe, I'll find out later :brewing:
I sometimes do this, too. Thaw something I thought I’d remember what it was but didn’t. 🤣 What did it end up being? I’m curious.

Tonight we are having a chicken rice casserole and steamed veggies. The casserole was made and frozen back in August when we had chicken left over from canning stock....

Recipe please? I do a lot of asian cooking, My Jet Tila cookbook is well worn. I like soups also, make a pretty mean seafood hot n sour soup. I have everything you listed except coconut milk.

Dinner last night, bad... because of cfs I keep frozen dinner/pizza in the house. At least once a week I find myself too exhausted to make dinner, a microwave is simpler.

I omitted the jalapeno and used green curry paste instead of red.
Also I didnt have lime, so I used the lime leaves and added some dried thai basil. It was delicious, had it for lunch today.
https://40aprons.com/tom-kha-soup-whole30/

I have a great meatloaf recipe, I'll have to find it.
Tonight I'm making butternut squash penne pasta with mushrooms.
Already made homemade beer bread. Smells good.

Ate light tonight, BLT n chips. The chips were a new flavor, must have grabbed the wrong bag at the store. They are bbq and pickle flavor, a little weird but not bad.

I sometimes do this, too. Thaw something I thought I’d remember what it was but didn’t. 🤣 What did it end up being? I’m curious.
Tonights dinner is "TAAAAAAA DAA". Leftover leftovers of BBQ from the mystery jar in the freezer. Still better than lizard, or Grandma's blackened hockey puck burgers.

I omitted the jalapeno and used green curry paste instead of red.
Also I didnt have lime, so I used the lime leaves and added some dried thai basil. It was delicious, had it for lunch today.

Here is the recipe I have for Tom Gai soup. It's very similar to the one you use. But... it has a problem, probably an omission. It never says how much Kha or ginger to use. (one of the reasons I never tried it). I'm glad you're recipe clears that up, thank you.

The other reason... I don't dislike coconut, sort of a take or leave thing. Meaning I'm not buying coconut milk just for one recipe. If I come up with several, maybe.

Coconut, I live in the south. Coconut cakes are everywhere, a traditional dish in my family since the 30's. I liked it as a kid, has enough sugar to keep me bouncing off the walls for a couple of hours. Now, I won't say no to a piece, I might be excommunicated as a southerner. ;)

tom gia 02.JPG

Looks great! I like a reverse sear bring it to temperature in the oven and sear it at the end in a screaming hot cast iron pan.
Call me lazy, lol... reverse sear means I have 2 pans to clean. I have one eye on my gas stove that is 17K btu. 2min of sear on each side at about 500 degrees then it goes in the oven.

I use a digital thermometer with the long wire braid lead so the probe goes in the oven too. I do the quick sear then set the skillet in the pre-heated oven and wait for the sensor to beep at 127 degrees for a bone-in. It'll coast up to 129/130, perfect medium rare.

I had a much harder time hitting the 127 degrees during a sear at the end. The internal temp is changing to fast on high heat (500+). The internal temp changes much slower in the oven. This allows me to get the steak exactly as I like it.

Last edited:
beef stew and a garden salad

Latest posts

Back