What Are You Having For Dinner

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A one pot hermit special, actually everything I cook is one pot or pan, a package of ground beef, around a pound cooked from frozen, cause planning whats for supper gets in the way of other hermit stuff. when the meat was mostly cooked, added minced garlic, and when I got a new jar of garlic, i found jars of marinara sauce, tomato and basil, so that and some dehydrated onion, dryed parmesan that only a couple of years par best before. now I am full and sleepy and tomorrow's or the next days supper is made.

I use kidney, pinto, and black beans for chili
And yes....stock lots of beans. Good protein.
I've switched to using pinto and black beans mostly in my chili, together. I don't understand why someone wouldn't like black beans. They're just beans. The protein combination with rice is excellent. Noticed the beans expired 2 months ago. Go me. They were fine.

forum seems wound up tight tonight.
I fixed chili, had an early dinner for a change. Rotel's green chiles and chipotle peppers, a first for me. 🔥
Piece of bread to chill it down. Fist pounding hot. Glad I only used half a can.
Found out I need to get more beans, lots more beans. Black beans, kidney beans, garbanzo beans, pinto beans, small red beans. What are your favorites for chili? I only used kidney tonight, don't care for them so much. I have plenty of dry beans but prefer a can in a pinch.
I keep Bush's chili beans (in a can) on hand. Good in chili and goulosh!

forum seems wound up tight tonight.
I fixed chili, had an early dinner for a change. Rotel's green chiles and chipotle peppers, a first for me. 🔥
Piece of bread to chill it down. Fist pounding hot. Glad I only used half a can.
Found out I need to get more beans, lots more beans. Black beans, kidney beans, garbanzo beans, pinto beans, small red beans. What are your favorites for chili? I only used kidney tonight, don't care for them so much. I have plenty of dry beans but prefer a can in a pinch.
Kidneys are my first choice for Chili, tacos, jambalya. Great northern are good in chili as well. I like them both in a pot. 2 or 3 kinds of meat as well. I'm not big on black beans, small and not as much flavor. We used canned beans for convenience quite often

'Quick n Yummy' Cream of Chicken & Gnocchi Soup :cool:

Chickn-Gnocci.jpg

Disclaimer: this is the 'McSoup' version.. It's pretty much just a Turbo Upgrade to a Campbells Cream of Chicken-base, but.. Man, is it Yummy! and Simple. 👍

Backstory: So, whilst traveling clear across the US / back this past May (driving, of course..) Took my Daughter with me (cuz All Teens Love a solid 'Road Triiiiiip!!!' :cool: which was some Wonderful 'Quality Time'..) Anyhoo, one Eve we stopped and ate at Olive Garden somewhere in East Whoknowswhere, and she Fell in Love with Their 'Chicken & Gnocchi' soup..

..So, when we got home, I took to 'Reverse Guessgineering' ;) from the memory of it, and came up with the following:

- 2x 12.6 oz Cans of Campbells (or, other..) 'Condensed' Cream of Chicken Soup (ya'll 'Purists', simply forget I said that, and Start with equivalent amount of Your Fav DIY Cream of Chicken Soup Base.. 😬
- 3-4 med-size (~3/4-1" thick x 5-6" long x 3" wide) Chicken Breasts
- 1x 17.5 oz Package of yer Fav-Brand Gnocchi (we used 'Di Cecco')
- Chicken Bouillon
- Coarse Ground Black Pepper
- Green Onions, Fresh
- 1x Med-size Carrot, Grated into 'slivers'
- 3x small/med size stalks Celery (nice n tender ones..), Sliced thinly
- Cilantro, Fresh (or 'flakes', if no-have..)
- 1 Large Clove Garlic
- Two Large (1x 6 qt; 1x 10.5 qt, I guess?) Stock Pots..
- Options: Fresh or Canned Corn Kernels and/or Spinach

In 6 qt pot, thaw Chicken Breasts in hot water, add 1 tsp Cilantro (or flakes) crushed Garlic clove; Bring to a boil over Med-high heat, but Just before boiling, add ~1 Tbsp of Chicken Bouillon (or 'equivalent' in cubes..) Enough to 'season' the water / Chicken.. Par-boil until just Barely 'done' (Safely past pink, but Don't turn into sneaker sole! ;) ~8-10 mins, usually.. Remove pot from heat, and let Chicken / broth cool a bit..

In the 10 qt, add Cream of Chicken Soup 'concentrate', and 2x cans of the Broth (Not just 'plain water') from the breasts-boil.. Stir, etc and add generous amounts of Black Pepper (to-taste..) and diced Green Onion. Remove and quickly 'cube' the Chicken Breasts from 'broth' pot, and add to this Soon-to-be-Soup pot. Stir, etc (no heat, yet..) (key is to Not let the Chicken get 'dried out'..)

Back to the 'Broth pot', put back on Heat, and bring to a Boil again.. Once boiling, add Gnocchi - following directions Carefully (as Soon as they 'float', get 'em Outta there / Add into the 'Soup pot', since they will cook a bit more, there..) Add Carrot-slivers and diced Celery to Broth, and boil a bit longer (until they are softened) and using small strainer, add All of both to Soup pot.

Now you can start the 'final Soup' up on Low-Med heat, and add 1-2 cans (~10-20 more Oz.) of 'Broth-water'. Cover (best to use a 'vented' cover, to prevent boil-overs) let simmer for 5-8 mins, Tops. If desired, add a few chopped Spinach-leaves, to-taste, and/or Corn. Or, just a bit more Green Onion (our personal-Pref..)

To make a bit more 'chowdery', go back to yer 'Broth pot' and add appropriate amount of Cornstarch / thickening Flour, and make yer 'thickener goo' / Add to Soup, simmer on low a bit more, then let Sit. (If using the 'Campbells as Base' (vs DIY) just letting it Sit will also accomplish this fairly-well and is less work..)

Serve with a few Grinds of Black Pepper on top, and Cornbread. (oops, forgot to tell ya to start that an hour ago.. ;) jk.. Sourdough-boule shards also complement well. Enjoy with Ginger Ale or a nice White Wine (ie: Fetzers' Gewurztraminer. :cool:

Sounds like a lot of 'extra work' with the '2 Pots' and all, but.. Thinking it thru in doing it 'all in One' - a) par-boiling the Chicken In the soup-base would not be the best way to do that, b) it would be difficult to get the Veggies to 'soften', well, and c) Gnocchi to cook properly / 'float' with all the other stuff in there, so.. Doing it 'all in One', that way Could just end up yielding a large pot of 'Dog Barf'.. And ain't No One gonna Love you fo' Dat! 😬

Fwiw..
jd

Last edited:
'Quick n Yummy' Cream of Chicken & Gnocchi Soup :cool:

Chickn-Gnocci.jpg

Disclaimer: this is the 'McSoup' version.. It's pretty much just a Turbo Upgrade to a Campbells Cream of Chicken-base, but.. Man, is it Yummy! and Simple. 👍

Backstory: So, whilst traveling clear across the US / back this past May (driving, of course..) Took my Daughter with me (cuz All Teens Love a solid 'Road Triiiiiip!!!' :cool: which was some Wonderful 'Quality Time'..) Anyhoo, one Eve we stopped and ate at Olive Garden somewhere in East Whoknowswhere, and she Fell in Love with Their 'Chicken & Gnocchi' soup..

..So, when we got home, I took to 'Reverse Guessgineering' ;) from the memory of it, and came up with the following:

- 2x 12.6 oz Cans of Campbells (or, other..) 'Condensed' Cream of Chicken Soup (ya'll 'Purists', simply forget I said that, and Start with equivalent amount of Your Fav DIY Cream of Chicken Soup Base.. 😬
- 3-4 med-size (~3/4-1" thick x 5-6" long x 3" wide) Chicken Breasts
- 1x 17.5 oz Package of yer Fav-Brand Gnocchi (we used 'Di Cecco')
- Chicken Bouillon
- Coarse Ground Black Pepper
- Green Onions, Fresh
- 1x Med-size Carrot, Grated into 'slivers'
- 3x small/med size stalks Celery (nice n tender ones..), Sliced thinly
- Cilantro, Fresh (or 'flakes', if no-have..)
- 1 Large Clove Garlic
- Two Large (1x 6 qt; 1x 10.5 qt, I guess?) Stock Pots..
- Options: Fresh or Canned Corn Kernels and/or Spinach

In 6 qt pot, thaw Chicken Breasts in hot water, add 1 tsp Cilantro (or flakes) crushed Garlic clove; Bring to a boil over Med-high heat, but Just before boiling, add ~1 Tbsp of Chicken Bouillon (or 'equivalent' in cubes..) Enough to 'season' the water / Chicken.. Par-boil until just Barely 'done' (Safely past pink, but Don't turn into sneaker sole! ;) ~8-10 mins, usually.. Remove pot from heat, and let Chicken / broth cool a bit..

In the 10 qt, add Cream of Chicken Soup 'concentrate', and 2x cans of the Broth (Not just 'plain water') from the breasts-boil.. Stir, etc and add generous amounts of Black Pepper (to-taste..) and diced Green Onion. Remove and quickly 'cube' the Chicken Breasts from 'broth' pot, and add to this Soon-to-be-Soup pot. Stir, etc (no heat, yet..) (key is to Not let the Chicken get 'dried out'..)

Back to the 'Broth pot', put back on Heat, and bring to a Boil again.. Once boiling, add Gnocchi - following directions Carefully (as Soon as they 'float', get 'em Outta there / Add into the 'Soup pot', since they will cook a bit more, there..) Add Carrot-slivers and diced Celery to Broth, and boil a bit longer (until they are softened) and using small strainer, add All of both to Soup pot.

Now you can start the 'final Soup' up on Low-Med heat, and add 1-2 cans (~10-20 more Oz.) of 'Broth-water'. Cover (best to use a 'vented' cover, to prevent boil-overs) let simmer for 5-8 mins, Tops. If desired, add a few chopped Spinach-leaves, to-taste, and/or Corn. Or, just a bit more Green Onion (our personal-Pref..)

To make a bit more 'chowdery', go back to yer 'Broth pot' and add appropriate amount of Cornstarch / thickening Flour, and make yer 'thickener goo' / Add to Soup, simmer on low a bit more, then let Sit. (If using the 'Campbells as Base' (vs DIY) just letting it Sit will also accomplish this fairly-well and is less work..)

Serve with a few Grinds of Black Pepper on top, and Cornbread. (oops, forgot to tell ya to start that an hour ago.. ;) jk.. Sourdough-boule shards also complement well. Enjoy with Ginger Ale or a nice White Wine (ie: Fetzers' Gewurztraminer. :cool:

Sounds like a lot of 'extra work' with the '2 Pots' and all, but.. Thinking it thru in doing it 'all in One' - a) par-boiling the Chicken In the soup-base would not be the best way to do that, b) it would be difficult to get the Veggies to 'soften', well, and c) Gnocchi to cook properly / 'float' with all the other stuff in there, so.. Doing it 'all in One', that way Could just end up yielding a large pot of 'Dog Barf'.. And ain't No One gonna Love you fo' Dat! 😬

Fwiw..
jd
Sounds and looks great, thanks for sharing!!

I got another pack of chops the other day. So tonight I deep fried a batch. Had a salad to go with...

I like them this way, no batter, just salt them good and let them warm up to room temp, about an hour. This helps them cook through.

I have the smallest Fry Daddy so I can only do one chop at the time. Let them drain good and they are ready to eat.

Sub torpedo 2 a.JPG

Y'all can keep the onions, I like liver!

I don't like liver. No way. But will make it for husband.
Husband is having a shrimp stirfry tonight, and kids will probably eat some, too. At least 2 out of 3 of them will. Making brown fried rice with egg and onion.
I have a chicken chili verde in the crockpot that I'll eat. Made with food storage, smells wonderful. I don't like shrimp or fish.

Dinner was left over porkchops, I made a sandwich... lunch in town was better. I had a 1/4 fried chicken, turnip green casserole, deviled eggs, mexican cornbread and fried squash. Everything was yummy except the squash, it wasn't done! It'd been cut too thick and the batter wasn't brown yet. But, it was a good lunch. I'd never had turnip green casserole before. It was really good.

food chops 5  .JPG

'Curtido Dogs'...

Curtido-Dog.jpg

..Which is, basically, just yer 'Standard Nitrate-Bomb / Hot-Dog Bun / Sliced-Cheese', etc - nothing 'revolutionary', there.. But.. the 'Majik' comes in the Topping - "Curtido".. :cool:

..Which is, basically, the standard topping for the Legendary Salvadorean 'Pupusa' (..which is, basically, a 'DIY mashup of a Hot Pocket and a Grilled Cheese Sammy', with Corn Masa Tortilla, 'hecho a mano', instead of "Bread"...) And, this topping is a cinch to make:

- Shaved (thin 'ribbons') Cabbage
- Slivered / Grated Carrot
- Slivered Onion
- Slivered Bell Pepper
- ACV (no need for 'Organic' + Mother, etc, just less hardcore / yummier / healthier than White Vinegar, yukk..)
- Salt, to taste
- Oregano
- Option for some 'kick', Thin-sliced Jalapeño Rings, with Seeds..

..And, just let it 'stew' for a few hours, or even Overnight.. Fine 'on the counter', but will keep 'fresher' in the Fridge.

Top yer Dog, as-shown, with 'Curtido', and Yer Favorite Tomato / Cilantro Salsa (I'll post that one up with the Wifes 'Pupusa Recipe', next time we make 'em.. :cool: ) or even just Ketchup.. Wash down with yer fav 'Mexi-Ale', ie: Corona or Estrella Jalisco are highly-recommended.. 👍

Healthy? Ehh, debatable, but, Hey - the Apocalypse is Nagh, so.. A few 'guilty pleasures' won't kill ya, it's the Zommies ya gotta watch out for.. ;)

jd

'Curtido Dogs'...

jd

That looks good! I enjoy a good dog, used to try them everywhere I traveled. Never had one of those. I once lived in a small town that had an old fashioned butcher shop. The proprietor still made hotdogs by hand, great dogs!

Me, fried bologna sandwich tonight, nothing fancy...

Back