What Are You Listening To?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1658121981575.png

I grew up in a coal town, until Al Gore and Howard Baker decided we ought to be a state park. Virtually NOBODY who lives there or lost their ancestral lands got jobs in it either. Big south fork can bite my butt! they wrecked and roped off all our camping and hunting sites too and made it horse or hike in only. I guess we learned what the Indians knew the hard way huh? three generations on welfare, moonshine meth and marijuana farming later its a cesspool fit only for the rich three months a year. Thank the gods I got out when I did.

Must have been between Oneida and Rugby
DINGDINGDINGDING! Helenwood, dead center between them! are you from up around there? Did it ever amount to anything but the Meth capitol of Tennessee?

Attachments

• Stella-Artois-Can-500ml.png
    Stella-Artois-Can-500ml.png
    281.2 KB · Views: 0
I was researching the song "Last Hand Loader". It was written by a miner named Carl Rutherford.

Carl was born with spina bifida. His parents didn't even put a name on his birth certificate. West Virginia kids didn't survive spina bifida in 1930.

But he did, lived to be 76. Died of emphysema ... As a kid an uncle taught him to play slide using an old pocket knife.

At 16 he went to work in the mines like all his family members. He witnessed a horrific accident but worked 2 more years to pay off his dad's house.

At some point he left the mines and west virginia. Didn't return until he was an old man.

Below is Carl from the cover of the only album he recorded.

You can hear his recording here...

Hand Loader.jpg

Last edited:
Ever notice a song you heard as a kid was OK, but you really didn't "Get it"
then after you grow up and hear it again, you're like OMG! What the hell was going on here?! this is one of them.

Just for Halloween!

I know you were looking for songs, but I listen to podcast while I work. I like to "educate" myself. This one scared me. . . I have been following Mike Adam's for a long while now and have learned that I do normally agree with him and the majority of guest he has on to interview. Today's was just mind blowing for me. In all honesty, it probably needs it's own thread, but you asked what I was listening too. . .

https://www.brighteon.com/0baeff43-2a1d-4df9-8e02-454a459ee9ae

Listening to a bit of Loretta Lynn on the back of a really good documentary about her life. Found an American songlist on spotify, great mix of Steve Earle etc. And one I had forgotten about, before my time, but still good. City of New Orleans, Arlo Guthrie

Latest posts

Back