What I saw today...

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patchouli

Gatekeeper
Staff member
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I saw a little girl, about 6, shoving her little sister, probably 3, who was trying to put stuff into a trash receptacle (unsuccessfully). Why was she shoving her? Weird. Mother didn't say or do anything.
I saw a little girl, maybe 4 or 5, sitting at a table with a man, I guess her father, talking. He never said a word to her. She would be quiet, then say something else. Was he ignoring her? What is that teaching her? As they walked away, he walked ahead of her and didn't check to see if she was behind him, didn't reach out to hold her little hand.
A little boy, about 4, was running in the store and nearly ran into my teenager, who stopped to avoid collision. Mother of child said nothing. Kid kept running.
These are the parents of today, the ones with money. Granted, not all are like this, but in that small section of time in that one place...
Where were we? In a store I rarely shop in but go to and get a great reminder of why I'm glad I am me.
It's where the rich people shop, the people who eat organic, drink organic, etc. Mind you, I am all for organic, but not when it is going to cost me those high dollars.
It is a snobby store. Most are not very friendly, even the people who work there have an attitude I wasn't prepared for today. I can't describe it.
I am so friendly when I go out and about. I say hi to people I don't know, I hold doors, I stop children from running into the street, I call after someone if they've forgotten their change or a package. I have a conscience. I'm watching.
That is all.
Unless you want pictures. I took pictures.

Last edited:
I see similar things daily,
Entire families sitting in my restaurant face buried in their iphones, not a single person talking to each other, through the whole meal.
Dont even say thank you to my staff for bringing them their orders....they just grunt!
Dont even get me started on how they eat and chew their food!

People over here treat their kids like they are a burden. Let their slaves raise them and then wonder why their 3 year old likes the Philippine helper they treat like a slave more than mommy....
Ive seen a mother in her 20s walking through a busy train station, face buried in her ipad watching Korean soap operas while being followed by her 4ish year old son 20 feet behind playing candy crush on his ipad....
My wife said I could have walked up and took him and the mother wouldn't have known.
Our son is thrilled when we sit down together and watch a dumb cartoon for 30 minutes. Its a treat for him and he knows it. My wifes cousins....all their kids have iphones before they were 6...
They think its weird that my son and I have so much fun with old shoeboxes, cardboard tp rolls, scissors & a roll of tape.

People are to damn lazy to raise their kids and mommy ipad just stops them from crying and keeps em quiet so real mommy & daddy can sit there ignoring each other while daddy is on tinder potentially catching herpes and passing it on later while mommy is watching Korean tv shows....

I feel your pain...

Last edited:
@Justin76 isn't it sad when people cannot do without iPhone or any other technology for more than a couple of hours. So sad that children are being babysat by electronics.

I had a young child I used to look after in nursery and her mum would give her her iPhone to play with otherwise she would chuck a temper tantrum like you wouldn't believe. After a while I told the mother not to bring in the IPhone with the child into nursery as the other children were also very distracted and argued over who was going to use it. Said child soon learnt how to finally play with the other children in the group but she was addicted to the thing no doubt.

You should see the death grip some of these people have when they walk around with their phone in their hands. Or just staggering around while they walk and pay no attention to where they are going all the time eyes glued to the phone....
(I actually saw a girl try to go down an escalator that was going up because she was on her phone, funniest thing I ever saw)

I really think its an escape from reality for some people, don't have to deal with day to day life, just turn on the screen and ignore everything around them. A bit understandable when everyone is stacked on top of each other like sardines in a can over here.

I have a smartphone but I download books to read on my commute every morning on the train, listen to a program or two on ancient faith radio, news. So I am guilty of escaping a bit as well I guess. But to be fair I don't walk around with it and all that...
When my wife and I went home to Michigan to visit this past summer, the phones were cameras and emails back to Hong Kong. We never felt the need to use them for anything else.

But for kids, I think it's just laziness honestly...over here 90% of everyone has a helper/slave/servant. They wash their clothes, cook, clean, raise the kids, take them to school, pick them up from school, carry the kids book bags to and from the school. And any other BS their owners can think of...that is another topic all together...but over here no one is capable of doing anything on their own....and when put in that situation with their kids where they have to be actual parents, out comes the ipad and go to restaurants to eat because a basic healthy home cooked meal as a family is beyond comprehension.

Last edited:

I have heard a LOT of people say that about Hong Kong. It is supposedly quite disgusting what with the slurping, burping, etc...

People are to damn lazy to raise their kids and mommy ipad just stops them from crying and keeps em quiet so real mommy & daddy can sit there ignoring each other while daddy is on tinder potentially catching herpes and passing it on later while mommy is watching Korean tv shows....

They probably don't like each other that much, even their own kids. People like to believe "everyone is the same" especially when it comes to parental feelings and instincts but that is so obviously NOT true!

I have heard a LOT of people say that about Hong Kong. It is supposedly quite disgusting what with the slurping, burping, etc..

They probably don't like each other that much, even their own kids. People like to believe "everyone is the same" especially when it comes to parental feelings and instincts but that is so obviously NOT true!

Slurping I understand, I was stationed in Japan for 11 years, that doesn't bother me much.
Here they chomp on their food with mouth wide open, talk at the loudest possible volume with food stuffed in their maws, spitting food chunks everywhere, belching and farting at the table....hats at the table & tank tops in MY DINING ROOM!!! Eat like a bunch of dogs chowing down on soupy dog food!
I got a warning my first year for telling a guy to take his hat off at the table!
Not everyone is like this, there are still some people who have manners and a bit of basic class.

I agree, most people dont even seem to like their spouse and kids.
They push their kids into all these after school classes, sports, more classes and lessons, mostly so they can brag to the other mothers at the school bus stop about what they have their kids doing. (while the kid is on a phone and minded by the servant)

How people cant care for and have basic concern for their children and love them everything they have is beyond me.

Recently there was a lady that beat the living hell out of her 4 year old daughter for breaking her phone...
Most people didnt really seem to care...one of my staff said "it was and expensive phone ahhhh!!"

People suck

How people cant care for and have basic concern for their children and love them everything they have is beyond me.

Recently there was a lady that beat the living hell out of her 4 year old daughter for breaking her phone...Most people didnt really seem to care...one of my staff said "it was and expensive phone ahhhh!!"

People suck

Yes. People do suck. But I understand it, lots of people don't have any empathy towards animals and some are the same way towards kids, even their own kids. Course most at least try to appear to care in public.

Anyone that has seen the video of the 2 year old that was run over by the truck in the quiet industrial shopping mall can't deny that some folks feel less than others (people would occasionally walk by her and look as the baby bled to death). Can't recall if that was in Hong Kong or another Chinese city.

Yes. People do suck. But I understand it, lots of people don't have any empathy towards animals and some are the same way towards kids, even their own kids. Course most at least try to appear to care in public.

Anyone that has seen the video of the 2 year old that was run over by the truck in the quiet industrial shopping mall can't deny that some folks feel less than others (people would occasionally walk by her and look as the baby bled to death). Can't recall if that was in Hong Kong or another Chinese city.

That was in Shenzhen/ Guangzhou I think, horrible thing, some cultures have a different outlook on life I guess...
One of the reasons no one helped that little girl was because people thought it was a scam...They are pretty bad with trying to get you to pay money, so people are naturally cautious I suppose. But for a child...you would think some people would at least show a bit of concern.
Living outside of the US for so long and traveling/being shipped off to so many different places really opened up my eyes on how good people have it in developed countries. People still live in mud huts in some parts of the world, a dead kid is one less mouth to feed...
Now I'm depressed.... going to drink beer and throw green peas at my pastry chef...

One of the reasons no one helped that little girl was because people thought it was a scam...They are pretty bad with trying to get you to pay money, so people are naturally cautious I suppose. But for a child...you would think some people would at least show a bit of concern.

I heard they were afraid they could be sued by getting involved, I can understand not wanting to dive in and grab the child but not showing any concern whatsoever means they really were NOT concerned.

That and it is the product of living in a society where people don't like or trust one another at all.

I tend to observe people and I notice habits or quirks, Here in the USSA the child abuse is not even recognized in the electronic form. As was pointed out the whole family" together" for an evening out and all are sitting around a table singularly immersed in their I POD worlds. I watched as one as described family was separately entertaining them selves when the son stopped and verbally ask his father a question, The father responded with a finger wave pointing at the sons "phone" silently telling him to go back to his entertainment and don't bother him!!..... People do not realize that these "marvelous?" devices as they are advertised, are not a brain, They do not have anything other than information inside, and most of that is wrong or warped. Now they have them talking and Interacting with you !?!?..You think snowflakes are bad now just wait until the melted ones can run home to their safe space and have a conversation with their own electronic phycologist who will help reform and heal every crystal on their snowflake personality. Now since I have made a LONG trip around the barn I believe this is what should be hammered into every ones head about computers. .......With all this information where is your knowledge? With your knowledge where is your wisdom?

I heard they were afraid they could be sued by getting involved, I can understand not wanting to dive in and grab the child but not showing any concern whatsoever means they really were NOT concerned.

That and it is the product of living in a society where people don't like or trust one another at all.

A lot of things like that are scams, or perceived as scams, the big thing is the taxi and the moped, taxi driver picks you up, takes you to your stop, once you open your door a guy on a moped slams into the door and falls over, taxi driver gets out says we should take him to a hospital, you and him put the guy in the taxi and scam you into paying for his bills or money so they dont call the police, all while driving you around in a taxi with the meter on which you need to pay for as well!

Also the crippled guys with oozing sores, mangled but healed limbs begging for money are all a triad mafia run outfit.

All of things like this have led people to not care (i think so anyways)
But yes most people just dont care,
Hell, 6 months ago, a crazy guy got on the train over here, lit himself on fire along with one or two others, train stops he rolls out of the train along with the girl that was on fire.
The only people that helped were the foreigner tourists....the rest had their phones out taking pictures and videos for Instagram, some were even doing selfies!! I think one local tried to help by pouring a can of Coke on the guy, that was it....no patting down with a jacket or shirt over the flames...just facialbook and iphone pictures to share...

Technology is an amazing and horrible thing, the zombie horde isn't walking dead people, its people on their phones....

This was years ago, but speaking of parents & children...

When I volunteered at a Family Center, there were classes that parents were required by the court to attention. Once, I overheard a father complain his son was calling social services, and there was nothing he could do to stop the social worker from coming to his home to investigate.

There are children as early as age seven calling the Dept of Social Services. These kids look the number up in the phone book (we still have phone books) and call on their parent(s).

Based on what ALL I learned at that Family Center, some kids need to have the # to social services on their contact list, while most should put down the phone and go play outside, imo.

Not that I am disagreeing with any of you, however I am a 3rd generation LEO and have heard many stories from my parents and my granddad about child abuse, neglect, inattention, absenteeism, abandonment, etc. stretching way back into and before the 1940's. Some of their stories are pretty sad and resulted in not only kids being taken from homes but lost lives as well. While the electronic component and information access is new, ultra-crappy parenting is not. I had a number of friends growing up who essentially raised themselves because their parents lived an independent life from their kids. I had some friends who had it far worse where their parents preferred alcohol to their offspring. Growing up in the 70's and early 80's my Mom had pretty strict expectations for manners and many of my friends were repeatedly scolded because they had very little manners at all. They were never taught manners and there were no expectations for proper behavior in their homes. When I was in elementary school our principal had a paddle and would use it. By 3rd grade that was banned by the school board and she retired (the paddle and the principal). The trouble makers in school were considerably more unruly after that.

As I said, there are lot of lazy, self-absorbed, idealistic, ineffective, mindless and absent parents out there in the modern world, but that is not something that started up in the new millennia. I think sometimes we look at the past with rose colored glasses and today with an extra helping of cynicism.

Not that I am disagreeing with any of you, however I am a 3rd generation LEO and have heard many stories from my parents and my granddad about child abuse, neglect, inattention, absenteeism, abandonment, etc. stretching way back into and before the 1940's. Some of their stories are pretty sad and resulted in not only kids being taken from homes but lost lives as well. While the electronic component and information access is new, ultra-crappy parenting is not. I had a number of friends growing up who essentially raised themselves because their parents lived an independent life from their kids. I had some friends who had it far worse where their parents preferred alcohol to their offspring. Growing up in the 70's and early 80's my Mom had pretty strict expectations for manners and many of my friends were repeatedly scolded because they had very little manners at all. They were never taught manners and there were no expectations for proper behavior in their homes. When I was in elementary school our principal had a paddle and would use it. By 3rd grade that was banned by the school board and she retired (the paddle and the principal). The trouble makers in school were considerably more unruly after that.

As I said, there are lot of lazy, self-absorbed, idealistic, ineffective, mindless and absent parents out there in the modern world, but that is not something that started up in the new millennia. I think sometimes we look at the past with rose colored glasses and today with an extra helping of cynicism.

Agree with you 100% Things are more noticeable in the hi tech age of today and instant news.
Just look at what everyone is doing right here on this board?

I heard stories from my aunt and uncle that my grandmothers parents were horrid people, took in "boarders"during the depression times and for some extra cash or a bottle they could mess around with my grandmothers older sisters who would have been in their early pre/teens? at the time.
Grandfathers side was first world war mean drunks and alcoholics, had engineering degrees but drank it all away.
Everyone has the crazy or drunken grandpa, uncle or great aunt or one that lives alone for a some reason. It was just never talked about back then or whispered when us kids weren't around.

Don't remember what movie I saw it said but "you need a license to fish, drive and get married but don't need one to be a parent"

Entire families sitting in my restaurant face buried in their iphones, not a single person talking to each other, through the whole meal.
Dont even say thank you to my staff for bringing them their orders....they just grunt!

People over here treat their kids like they are a burden. Let their slaves raise them and then wonder why their 3 year old likes the Philippine helper they treat like a slave more than mommy....
Ive seen a mother in her 20s walking through a busy train station, face buried in her ipad watching Korean soap operas while being followed by her 4ish year old son 20 feet behind playing candy crush on his ipad....
My wife said I could have walked up and took him and the mother wouldn't have known.
Our son is thrilled when we sit down together and watch a dumb cartoon for 30 minutes. Its a treat for him and he knows it. My wifes cousins....all their kids have iphones before they were 6...
They think its weird that my son and I have so much fun with old shoeboxes, cardboard tp rolls, scissors & a roll of tape.

I feel your pain...
I saw a little girl, about 6, shoving her little sister, probably 3, who was trying to put stuff into a trash receptacle (unsuccessfully). Why was she shoving her? Weird. Mother didn't say or do anything.
I saw a little girl, maybe 4 or 5, sitting at a table with a man, I guess her father, talking. He never said a word to her. She would be quiet, then say something else. Was he ignoring her? What is that teaching her? As they walked away, he walked ahead of her and didn't check to see if she was behind him, didn't reach out to hold her little hand.
A little boy, about 4, was running in the store and nearly ran into my teenager, who stopped to avoid collision. Mother of child said nothing. Kid kept running.
These are the parents of today, the ones with money. Granted, not all are like this, but in that small section of time in that one place...
Where were we? In a store I rarely shop in but go to and get a great reminder of why I'm glad I am me.
It's where the rich people shop, the people who eat organic, drink organic, etc. Mind you, I am all for organic, but not when it is going to cost me those high dollars.
It is a snobby store. Most are not very friendly, even the people who work there have an attitude I wasn't prepared for today. I can't describe it.
I am so friendly when I go out and about. I say hi to people I don't know, I hold doors, I stop children from running into the street, I call after someone if they've forgotten their change or a package. I have a conscience. I'm watching.
That is all.
Unless you want pictures. I took pictures.

Got to admit you are right @Patchouli a lot of parents (not all) don't discipline their children or teach them basic manners. I think this is very say indeed as this is some of our future generations right there.

I feel your pain...

The web is a beast, maybe the Beast.
Kids in China and around the world,including here are so addicted to electronic games some have actually starved themselves to death or died or dehydration because they couldn't get off line long enough to ea or drink. UNBELEIVEABLE.

There are clinics for them,

You should see the death grip some of these people have when they walk around with their phone in their hands. Or just staggering around while they walk and pay no attention to where they are going all the time eyes glued to the phone....
(I actually saw a girl try to go down an escalator that was going up because she was on her phone, funniest thing I ever saw)

I really think its an escape from reality for some people, don't have to deal with day to day life, just turn on the screen and ignore everything around them. A bit understandable when everyone is stacked on top of each other like sardines in a can over here.

I have a smartphone but I download books to read on my commute every morning on the train, listen to a program or two on ancient faith radio, news. So I am guilty of escaping a bit as well I guess. But to be fair I don't walk around with it and all that...
When my wife and I went home to Michigan to visit this past summer, the phones were cameras and emails back to Hong Kong. We never felt the need to use them for anything else.

But for kids, I think it's just laziness honestly...over here 90% of everyone has a helper/slave/servant. They wash their clothes, cook, clean, raise the kids, take them to school, pick them up from school, carry the kids book bags to and from the school. And any other BS their owners can think of...that is another topic all together...but over here no one is capable of doing anything on their own....and when put in that situation with their kids where they have to be actual parents, out comes the ipad and go to restaurants to eat because a basic healthy home cooked meal as a family is beyond comprehension.

Where do these slaves come from? I know there are a lot of poor in China outlands.

This was years ago, but speaking of parents & children...

When I volunteered at a Family Center, there were classes that parents were required by the court to attention. Once, I overheard a father complain his son was calling social services, and there was nothing he could do to stop the social worker from coming to his home to investigate.

There are children as early as age seven calling the Dept of Social Services. These kids look the number up in the phone book (we still have phone books) and call on their parent(s).

Based on what ALL I learned at that Family Center, some kids need to have the # to social services on their contact list, while most should put down the phone and go play outside, imo.

Kids are repaying their parents in different ways.

My nephew 10 y.o daughter went to school mad at them fro not letting her wear outfit that morning .So sat in front of teacher and scratched a hole in her leg. Teacher ask her what was wrong, she said her daddy beat her. So teacher reported it to Family Services. In come cops and worker, with warrant to take all 4 of their kids to orphanage for child abuse.
. The kid ended up saying she lied, but still had to watch the home. She said it is well known with kids in school get mad at parent lie to get your way, blackmail. The kid is spoiled rotten by her mother so nephew has to ' OBEY ' her wishes.

Where do these slaves come from? I know there are a lot of poor in China outlands.

They are called "domestic helpers" usually ladies from Philippines or Indonesia a few from Bangladesh and Burma, few Thais, brought over on a contract to be a live in servant in someines house. They technically can quit but since they are from such poor areas a lot of the Indo Bangladeshi wont.
Paid around 4~500USD a month. Some not at all, which is illegal but the punishment is not very bad.
Rich families like my wife's have seperate rooms and bathrooms for them. Some are treated well like my in laws family, set up a retirement plan and employed the same lady for 35years and part of the family.
Others...no extra room sleep under the kitchen table or bathroom. Up at 6am to clean cook and go line up for the free newspapers at the station, get ready for family, look after kids, take them to school, pets, laundry, shopping massage madams feet because she is tired, cook lunch, shop for dinner, clean house again, pick up kids from school, feed the kids, cook for parents...etc clean up again, possibly clean mommy and daddys house as well, in bed by 11~12ish after master and madam have gone to bed. Some are beaten, burnt if things are wrong. Passports locked up in safes. No days off, starved.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erwiana_Sulistyaningsih

Classic example...
Not all are treated like her but a lot are and many are overworked underpaid and treated horribly by everyone. 12th class people, on the Asian racial pecking order...

The current trend is Indos, because as my restaurant managers exact words....
" you should get an Indonesian you can pay them so much less"

Sentry I disagree, I'm much older than you and this is not true. Nothing like today anyway. The kids use to have chores and some even worked in mines and dangerous factories, which is true. But even these kids grew up on the most part and became productive adults.
Did we have problem kids and bad parents ,yes we did but the numbers were small. It was a matter of survival for all o work at home and sometimes away.
Many were first generation immigrants who had came from Italy, Ireland. Many of the Italians formed mafias. The Irish were treated very badly in some places.
We had just gotten over WW1 , Great Depression and then Dust Bowl. Times were hard, but many good people and their kids came out of it very well considering the times. My grandfather born in mid 1800s being one of them.

They are called "domestic helpers" usually ladies from Philippines or Indonesia a few from Bangladesh and Burma, few Thais, brought over on a contract to be a live in servant in someines house. They technically can quit but since they are from such poor areas a lot of the Indo Bangladeshi wont.
Paid around 4~500USD a month. Some not at all, which is illegal but the punishment is not very bad.
Rich families like my wife's have seperate rooms and bathrooms for them. Some are treated well like my in laws family, set up a retirement plan and employed the same lady for 35years and part of the family.
Others...no extra room sleep under the kitchen table or bathroom. Up at 6am to clean cook and go line up for the free newspapers at the station, get ready for family, look after kids, take them to school, pets, laundry, shopping massage madams feet because she is tired, cook lunch, shop for dinner, clean house again, pick up kids from school, feed the kids, cook for parents...etc clean up again, possibly clean mommy and daddys house as well, in bed by 11~12ish after master and madam have gone to bed. Some are beaten, burnt if things are wrong. Passports locked up in safes. No days off, starved.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erwiana_Sulistyaningsih

Classic example...
Not all are treated like her but a lot are and many are overworked underpaid and treated horribly by everyone. 12th class people, on the Asian racial pecking order...

Humans can be so cruel to each other and animals.:cry:

Why do you live there? You obviously don't like it much, and I doubt if running a restaurant will quickly make you rich so you can retire and move (I assume you are not from there).

Why do you live there? You obviously don't like it much, and I doubt if running a restaurant will quickly make you rich so you can retire and move (I assume you are not from there).

Honestly I hate this place, used to love it, but slowly it turned into this...place.

But,
I moved here for my wife who is from here and is as miserable as I am. We are leaving in a year after 12 years.
Actually an executive chef in asia does pretty well. Not retire rich but with our savings and investment advice from mom and dad inlaw... we were able to pay for our new house and land in cash .
But yea...
This place is no place to raise a family.
Im just doing what most foreigners over here do.
Make your money and get the hell out...
Sounds crazy but thats the hand life gives you.
I dont want to sound like im complaining, im not. Hong Kong gave me a lot, international Executive Chef experience...looks good on a resume...

Thanks fro correction and hope you have done enough time in military. And come home soon. I bet your wife will like it here,but miss her family .

My wife is the one that picked the house and wants to go more than I do!
Very rare lady that found me! Best thing that ever happened to me was her and my son.

Feel bad OP for dragging this way off topic...

My wife is the one that picked the house and wants to go more than I do!
Very rare lady that found me! Best thing that ever happened to me was her and my son.

Feel bad OP for dragging this way off topic...

My childhood friend married a woman he met in Thailand when he was in Air Force VNam war. She had a hard time getting use to our ways and missed her family. But she loved it after awhile. Glad your wife is already lovin it.

Latest posts

Back