What Shortages are You Seeing?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
its very interesting what things are in short supply in one place and not anothert. im thinking things rotate for locations

@curmudgon-------for keystone meats i go to walmart.com and order online, delivered by fedex , free s/h if i spend over $35--which is not hard to do. sometimes they have more variety than in store.

I use Duck Duck Go on Linux and don't see the links for Amazon but some You Tube links show.
I don't have an Amazon account because I refuse to use them. I may have it blocked and that is fine with me.
Dont want to high jack the thread, but what do you think about Linux? Just joined a telegram group about it

Its great IF you have the skill to use it, its hard as a rock, you have to WANT to break it, way more virus free than windows, and if there is a problem, some l33t H@xx0r fixes it in 30 minutes for net status. its pretty much a Cadillac tank!

Now the down side, good luck finding any games you like it will support, Wine is getting better, but they tend to only use older games, NONE of your favorite software will work unless you either get it Linux specific or patched to operate on Linux. Otherwise it as safe and stable as anyone could want as long as you can operate it.

Walmart.com has been out of Keystone. Says 3 plus days for shipping (code for don't hold your breath) or out of stock. We ordered alot of coffee from Sams and it just arrived today, two days from order.
The Princess noticed Sams is adding a 15% tip for delivery.

She went on a big prep run yesterday. 50 lbs sugar... 3-gorilla carts fll. She see a limit of one flat of green beens at a time.

Ben

Spiral cut hams though, whew, pricey. One the size we normally get was 52 bucks. That's more than double what I got them for last year.

More like 5 times the price, I should have said. Spiral cut ham, same brand same store last year, 79 cents per pound. This year 4.49 per pound.

20211113_142942.jpg

Ham, still annoys me. Went to work for a company in LA once, November. Surprise, I got a christmas bonus! A gift certificate for a honey baked ham. I lived in Buffalo NY. The nearest franchise store where I could redeem my bonus? 600miles away. They stores everywhere in California. This was like a crappy gift I couldn't return, useless.

Sorry, continue...

I didn't look at the spiral cut hams when I went to the store last week, but the ham steaks are about the same as what they were before. I paid 1.98 each for two Sam's Choice ham steaks at Wally World last week. And ground beef was holding steady, 3.99/lb for "butcher's choice" and 4.99 to 6.59 for the rest depending on fat content. Charcoal steaks were just over $5/lb. Chicken breast was $2/lb. Pricey, but it was all available...

I went to Wmart this morning, then to the little grocery store. It was the first time I've felt "stricken" by what I saw. There was very little pet food. The isles were being moved farther apart. Many empty shelves or space where the shelves had been removed so they weren't there to be empty. I've been making winter soap so thought I'd pick up another bucket of lard. Looky here:
IMG_4092.jpg

I think not! I ended up going to the Hispanic store and got 2 - 5 gal. buckets for $65 each. Now we have it at least. I did find 2 packages left of the small boxes of matches so threw them in the cart.
I went to the little grocery store - got another $8 turkey. I didn't need another, but. . .
Also noticed they had very little salt - not none, but only 1 kind and not a lot of it. I don't get much processed food but they still seemed to have a good stock of eggs and milk.
I'd seen some empty shelves over the past year+, but today was weird!

Wow! LL. That is a crazy price for lard! I do have some in our pantry, but got it from the bulk store. Was at Tractor Supply this morning and got a 55 lb dog food and 28 lb cat food. Thought I would take a look at the canned cat food, but there wasn't much of any at all. What they had was 58 cents a can, and geesh, Aldi has tuna fish for 65 cents a can.

I went to Wmart this morning, then to the little grocery store. It was the first time I've felt "stricken" by what I saw. There was very little pet food. The isles were being moved farther apart. Many empty shelves or space where the shelves had been removed so they weren't there to be empty. I've been making winter soap so thought I'd pick up another bucket of lard. Looky here:
View attachment 75476
I think not! I ended up going to the Hispanic store and got 2 - 5 gal. buckets for $65 each. Now we have it at least. I did find 2 packages left of the small boxes of matches so threw them in the cart.
I went to the little grocery store - got another $8 turkey. I didn't need another, but. . .
Also noticed they had very little salt - not none, but only 1 kind and not a lot of it. I don't get much processed food but they still seemed to have a good stock of eggs and milk.
I'd seen some empty shelves over the past year+, but today was weird!
I'm finding the 4 pound container online for $9.48 per container at my local WM. It's half the container size of yours, but still way cheaper. Have you looked at it online for your WM? Dang, I don't use lard very often, but I'm tempted to get some the next time I'm at WM just to have more in storage.

I got curious and checked Amazon. Way cheaper there. In fact, Amazon has been holding down prices much better than Walmart on a great many items, although a lot of stuff is going in and out of stock there the same as B&M stores.

So today at lunchtime I ran across the road to the Dollar General to grab a few things. Mainly some desk snacks and powder creamer that doesn't suck like the stuff they stock the coffee mess with. Now I usually get the one brand, richfield I think? I don't know if its a DG brand but it's good enough for me and half the price of the name brands they carry They also have a clover brand and maybe that is their store one. Anyway, the shelf was about bare. They did have a (3) large cans (like maybe half gallon size?) of the Creamora brand for like $5.85 and then (2) little bottle of the same for $3.85. there was only flavored stuff of the clover brand and none of the just plain one so I had to settle for a flavor. Further shopping around I was gonna pic up some antibiotic cream. That aisles was wiped out. a few vitamins but cold and flu meds and about any other things in that section were slim pickings. I'd guess that entire aisle (well that side of it was less than 30% filled. Girl told me they never know what they are getting and often they are only getting a small portion of what is to be due in when the truck does arrive. Of the items there vitamins were probably more present but as I looked over a lot of the big hitters were empty. Like C, D, E and the various B's. Zinc was a 0. I also noted that several of the aisles in the food section, besides the coffee also had a lot of empty shelves.

Let's Go Brandon!!

My Dad would open the peeps package and let them get hard before eating them!! That's the ONLY way I can eat them! I can't stand that soft sugary yuck in my teeth😁🦷🦷

lolol---we got to be related. thats the only way my 95yr old dad eats peeps

The Dollar General close to me has had next to nothing for a couple of months now. Laundry soap aisle is completely empty. They don't even make the DG or Clover Valley type of creamer I always got--extra creamy. Haven't seen it for more than 2 months. They are not getting trucks or orders, but they seem to have plenty of Christmas stuff.

Latest posts

Back