What Shortages are You Seeing?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey, there's your face, Pearl! Nice photo.
Took mom to the docs and she complained about the nursing staff where she lives and not me this time, so that was good. And then to Walmart. She wanted throw rugs and junk food.
No Keystone there except chicken. Got small cans of roast beef and pulled pork. No buckets with lids, and looked across the aisle and no spray paint, either, rack was pretty empty. No lids, only a couple of boxes of canning jars, but not the half gallon ones I wanted.

If I was a fan of SPAM, I could eat for months off what they had...
What? You don't like spamwiches?:p

I have a confession to make. I've never tried spam. Although, when I was a kid we used to fry up and eat the canned corned beef mixed with mayo and make a sandwich out of it. I haven't had one of those in years, but I'm not opposed to it.

Hey, there's your face, Pearl! Nice photo.
Took mom to the docs and she complained about the nursing staff where she lives and not me this time, so that was good. And then to Walmart. She wanted throw rugs and junk food.
No Keystone there except chicken. Got small cans of roast beef and pulled pork. No buckets with lids, and looked across the aisle and no spray paint, either, rack was pretty empty. No lids, only a couple of boxes of canning jars, but not the half gallon ones I wanted.
Hubby was playing with his phone and caught me on camera going into the back bedroom! I don't have one of those fancy "FU46" hats on like dademoss, but I went ahead put it up anyhow!! Canning jars are hard to find near me right now!

I have a confession to make. I've never tried spam. Although, when I was a kid we used to fry up and eat the canned corned beef mixed with mayo and make a sandwich out of it. I haven't had one of those in years, but I'm not opposed to it.
Some Funyons to go with it would be nice!!

I have SPAM on occasion, but I don't make a habit of it. It goes OK with eggs for breakfast, but that's about it. Same with canned hams. They're edible, but wouldn't you rather have a real ham?

I'm just not a big fan of canned meat. But due to the long storage life, it's a good thing to have some around...

Spam it totally disgusting unless char broiled almost into a lump of coal.
Same for Treet and the utterly foul no name canned lunch meat. use it for
raccoon and opossum bait and get real meat!

No funyons here yet, but my beloved beef ramen is back!

matches---shortage seems to be growing

went to a walmart, a couple dollar stores, family dollar, hardware store in 2 local small towns. no matches. dollar sotr guy said they had a small # delivered and they sold out almost immefiately. ive not seen the regular long red boxes of rDiamond brand in a very long time.

matches---shortage seems to be growing

went to a walmart, a couple dollar stores, family dollar, hardware store in 2 local small towns. no matches. dollar sotr guy said they had a small # delivered and they sold out almost immefiately. ive not seen the regular long red boxes of rDiamond brand in a very long time.
I've noticed that too!!

I have SPAM on occasion, but I don't make a habit of it. It goes OK with eggs for breakfast, but that's about it. Same with canned hams. They're edible, but wouldn't you rather have a real ham?
Was in the grocery store just yesterday.
Lots of beautiful hams and they had funyuns!:woo hoo:
(sorry, it's not "the low price leader":rolleyes:)
On topic: I don't think I have used a match in 10 years. We always keep several of those long-nose 'light the charcoal' lighters on hand:
kitchen-lighter-500x500.jpg

Just one will last us for years.

Last edited:
Was in the grocery store just yesterday.
Lots of beautiful hams and they had funyuns!:woo hoo:
(sorry, it's not "the low price leader":rolleyes:)
On topic: I don't think I have used a match in 10 years. We always keep several of those long-nose 'light the charcoal' lighters on hand:

Mmm, ham...

My brother is smoking the meat for Thanksgiving this year. Part of me really hopes it's a ham instead of a turkey. Although, a smoked turkey sounds pretty darn good too...

I like those long matches to relight the water heater if it goes out. Have one box and told the kids to stay out of it. We go through lighters pretty regularly....the grill in the summer, and the woodburning stove in the winter. I have a rubbermade tote full of match boxes. Some I waxed to be waterproof.

I like those long matches to relight the water heater if it goes out. Have one box and told the kids to stay out of it. We go through lighters pretty regularly....the grill in the summer, and the woodburning stove in the winter. I have a rubbermade tote full of match boxes. Some I waxed to be waterproof.

i tend to like wood or book matches a bit better than lighters, just a bit easier for me to use, but im trying to stock up on both. i9ve read a couple books-diaries of people who survived economic collapses and severe depressions and hardships--besides medicines and booze, matches and lighters were IT for trading

Last edited:
Yesterday I went through an Arby's drive-thru and couldn't get a ham&cheese sandwich (yeah, it's been awhile since I've been there). The lady said, "We no longer have any ham products." I don't know if that's a sales-based decision, or a supply-based decision.

@jazzy, I'm still seeing the long matches here in SW Ohio. I appreciate your heads-up (I've been picking up a box here and there when I see them).

@angie_nrs at my local WM they had a little Keystone, not much. They had tons of every other canned meat though. If I was a fan of SPAM, I could eat for months off what they had...
If I remember the brand correctly , about a month ago a sign was posted at our liquer store stating " we will not be able to get anymore Keystone beer " . Personally I like Coors in a yellow can , because that is what a buddy of mine that I served with in Nam , went home for a death in his family and returned to Nam lugging me a Coors beer half way around earth and down those dusty dirt roads in a duce and a half just so he could give me a can of his favorite beer " a Coors in a yellow can " . He was from Colorado .

Last edited:
If I remember the brand correctly , about a month ago a sign was posted at our liquer store stating " we will not be able to get anymore Keystone beer " . Personally I like Coors in a yellow can , because that is what a buddy of mine that I served with in Nam , went home for a death in his family and returned lugging me a Coors beer half way around earth and down those dusty dirt roads in a duce and a half just so he could give me a can of his favorite beer " a Coors in a yellow can " . He was from Colorado .
OMG Keystone beer...do they even still make that stuff?

Keystone beer is run by Coors. I think it's made from the batches that aren't good enough to be Coors. Kind of like Budweiser and Natural Light...

Those are what I keep on hand, but the only time I use one is to light the burners on the gas stove when the electric is out.

@Magus If your talking about Amazon links they show for me.
Wonder why I can't see them? pop up blocker maybe?

WHAT?! No more keystone?!
Meh. all we can get here is the blue can light.
the red can was actually good stuff! pity.

I like rolling rock myself.

I use Duck Duck Go on Linux and don't see the links for Amazon but some You Tube links show.
I don't have an Amazon account because I refuse to use them. I may have it blocked and that is fine with me.

The store was pretty well stocked today. Still have 2 or 4 on limits though, on just about everything in the grocery section.. There were probably 40 turkeys in the store.

Spiral cut hams though, whew, pricey. One the size we normally get was 52 bucks. That's more than double what I got them for last year.

And NO Keystone canned meats. Someone else must have discovered them.

Latest posts

Back