What Shortages are You Seeing?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
About 15 years ago I read how petroleum/mechanization was responsible for a 3 fold increase in the carrying capacity of the earth. As I studied further, I realized that the 9 to 11 billion people that were were being told was the carrying capacity was an illusion, and that in reality once the oil was gone we were already beyond the sustainable carrying capacity.

The article that @WVDragonlady posted would show how the push for a GREEN World may result in a lot less food for the people: I pulled the following from the article she posted:
All the “Green New Deal” lunatics have literally zero knowledge of physics, chemistry, agriculture, geophysics, atmospheric chemistry, and so on, which is why they are trying to destroy carbon dioxide, the single most important nutrient in phyotosynthesis that grows food crops. Given current technology, it is patently impossible to produce affordable ammonia without using fossil fuels, period. Affordable food comes from affordable energy, and when energy is no longer affordable, food simply cannot be produced in an affordable manner. That’s straight up cause and effect. (The whole world is about to learn this lesson in 2022, it turns out…)

The fertilizer shortage is already so bad that in some areas, farmers can’t even order fertility for their 2022 crops:

Hermann Greif, a farmer from the village of Pinzberg in the southern state of Bavaria, told AP that he was shocked when he discovered that he could not even order fertilizer for next year. “There is no product, no price, not even a contract. It is a situation we have never seen before,” said Greif. “If I do not give my crops the nutrition they need, the yield will be much lower. It’s that simple.”

I guess those of us who garden should make sure we have all our supplies in early, because they are going to be the next shortages we are seeing.....

Hey @angie_nrs i don’t know what they are like but my Dollar Tree had these Funyons knock-offs.

8F471CE1-D484-4CE7-B9E7-3C406CBE8414.jpeg

I saw three spiral sliced hams day before yesterday, they were triple the price from last year.

They had 19 turkeys in the case, normally they would have 2 cases full by now. Last year turkey was .39 cents a pound, it's now 1.99 a pound. 16 pound turkey last year, 6.24, 16 pound turkey this year, 31.84.

Burger, same exact thing we were getting last year for 1.89 a pound for 80/20. We usually buy one of the packs they put up which is 3 to 4 pounds. On average a package was around 8 bucks, right now that same package is 18 to 20.

Baby back ribs are still way too much, most are over 25 bucks a slab, last year I could get them for 7.50 to 8.50 a slab.
BB ribs, pork or beef?

My sister-in-law works directly with the Port of Los Angeles and a few days ago she went into great detail about how screwed up just that one port is. She said she typically has 4 cranes working per vessel but now -- just 1 crane per vessel.
We can't stock up on everything and for sure, we will all be caught by surprise by one shortage or another, but there are still ways to get prepared.
The Survival Mom
thesurvivalmom.com

I can not remember how I got on the survival mom mailing list.
Maybe when "Garden Web" got sold & "Kitchen Garden" installed knew soft ware that kelp kicking me out.
I floated around the net, this was before I found you guys & gals.

Hey @angie_nrs i don’t know what they are like but my Dollar Tree had these Funyons knock-offs.

View attachment 75115
Thanks for that. I've tried the knock offs (I don't think it was this brand though) and they were not the same. They were much more dense than the airy originals. They're not healthy anyways, so not finding them is a blessing.

I went looking this morning and after 3 stops I found, California peaches (most looked like they walked here), red plum's, some small sweet potatoes, a honey ham (boneless), and a half a ham (un-sliced). The annoying thing is that each store had 1 thing that I was looking, no one had everything...

I am sad to report that W-M (it was the last place I visited) seemed to have the most variety of any of the stores. They had the hams, they also had turkeys at either $0.88 or $1.88 /# depending on the brand... They even appeared have the best stocked produce section with some lettuce, some squash, egg plant...

Cattle are being dumped on the market across the southeast right now. One in 5 farmers has the hay they need for winter so they have no choice but send them to the cow sale. The cattle market prices are still holding for now but that won't last long.

Anyone want to take bets the price of beef at the grocery store will drop? :rolleyes:

I got a 12 lb. turkey for 79 cents a pound with a $33 purchase. That's for the freezer. I'll get another bigger one the week before Thanksgiving. I'm still stocking up on canned pumpkin and whole berry cranberry sauce while they're on sale.
Also got some of the big 3 to 5 pound bags of frozen vegetables to dehydrate.

I bought 2 more turkeys...17 lbs and 18 lbs at Aldi for 89 cents a lb. Butterball brand. I have one for Thanksgiving, and freezers are full, so I'll be cooking them when they thaw, slicing and freezing the meat.
Aldi wasn't terribly stocked. The obvious outs were no flour, no canned corn, no fresh green beans.

. . . . So I'll be cooking them when they thaw, slicing and freezing the meat.. . .

I didn't even think about doing that and it's a good idea. Think I'll pick up a couple more and do the same. By the time I buy them and they're thawed, I'll have some of the big bags of vegetables dried and a couple of freezer shelves cleared.

It's a small freezer and the shelves aren't that far apart so a whole turkey won't fit. I might make a couple of casseroles to squeeze in there, too.

Casseroles are a great idea, too. Don't have the room for that, though. We love having sliced turkey for sandwiches, and not the deli meat stuff, so I just package enough for about six or eight sandwiches in a ziplock for the freezer.I do that with ham, too, but haven't found any for a good price yet.

. . . I just package enough for about six or eight sandwiches in a ziplock for the freezer. . . . /QUOTE]

I wrap meat - even ground beef - in saran wrap so that it fits like a skin around it and then put it in the freezer bags. I've had good luck preventing most freezer frost that way.

Yeah, since I decided to get a couple more to cook and freeze I've been thinking all evening about open face hot turkey sandwiches. Maybe with cole slaw. And cobbler. drool

Yeah, since I decided to get a couple more to cook and freeze I've been thinking all evening about open face hot turkey sandwiches. Maybe with cole slaw. And cobbler. drool
We had an orchard of peach trees when I was growing up and canned peaches by the bushel in jars. We had peach cobbler all year long, every year. I don't think I have had it since I was 17:(.
Peach cobbler, hot straight out of the oven, with a big scoop of ice cream on it to cool it down - heaven!😍

Was in the grocery store last night. There were basically no shortages. Some of the frozen goods like pizza were kind of picked over, but you could still get pretty much anything you were looking for.

Meat and dairy were 100% well stocked and canned good shelves were 100% full. Bread was no shorter than usual, I was there at 8:30 pm so some of the bread was out but that's normal for so late in the day.

All in all it looked pretty good. Now if the car dealerships and gun stores could follow suit we'd be in good shape...😁

Daughter works in the corporate level of the food industry. We were talking about Thanksgiving and turkeys. I mentioned that there is a rumor of turkey shortages, and she said she has heard that as well.

Her restaurant is having a hard time sourcing chicken.
I was just in the grocery store yesterday. It's a medium sized chain of stores, they have 120 locations in the Midwest, and they had fresh chicken coming out of their ears. They cut their meat in house which may explain why they can keep inventory up. They don't have to deal with processing plants. They just get the carcass. But Walmart just down the street, had hardly any chicken. They have to rely on the meat being packaged...

I think that is what we are seeing on a national basis, some stores have supply chains in tact for some stuff but have supply issues for other stuff. It is hit or miss in an area or even between stores.

I think that the O'Biden administration wants to create an emergency to blame on the truckers so they can justify pushing autonomous (no-driver) trucks into the mainstream. Just like by cutting coal mining, the pipelines, and stopping drilling; then when there are energy shortages this winter they can blame it on COAL, OIL & NATURAL GAS. I think they have a full agenda to create a green, petroleum free, automated, vegan, and people free society; that can be controlled by the Chinese....

I think that is what we are seeing on a national basis, some stores have supply chains in tact for some stuff but have supply issues for other stuff. It is hit or miss in an area or even between stores.

I think that the O'Biden administration wants to create an emergency to blame on the truckers so they can justify pushing autonomous (no-driver) trucks into the mainstream. Just like by cutting coal mining, the pipelines, and stopping drilling; then when there are energy shortages this winter they can blame it on COAL, OIL & NATURAL GAS. I think they have a full agenda to create a green, petroleum free, automated, vegan, and people free society; that can be controlled by the Chinese....
Don't like it but think you are right :confused:

I think you are right!!☹️

. . . I think they have a full agenda to create a green, petroleum free, automated, vegan, and people free society; that can be controlled by the Chinese....

There's definitely a population reduction agenda being carried out. I'd love to know how many people have actually died in China since woohoo floo was turned loose on us. The true numbers are probably staggering.

People are waking up though so there's still hope. It will be interesting to see the world in just two more years.

Latest posts

Back