What Shortages are You Seeing?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They were just pics I took. See them now?

20211029_133920.jpg

FB_IMG_1635626631802.jpg

I bought a Butterball turkey last week at Walmart, last one the had every other store did not have any. Need to get one for Xmas. Lots of empty shelves here , they built a new Dollar store up the road from me, in the boonies, shelves stay empty

Okay, this is not about a "shortage", but I have noticed that stores are putting candy everywhere in the run up to Halloween. We are not buying it this year and I don't see the shelves emptying out, but the press is saying that candy sells are way up... I just can't get my mind around what I am seeing versus what I am reading....

I mean when you put it into perspective we don't have sufficient supplies of the basic foods and we have an abundance of junk food??? It must be me... I must be wearing the wrong glasses.....

Nothing wrong with keeping some candy stored. Gotta have a treat once in a while.
I have 2 big bags of M&Ms vacuum sealed (original bag with a tiny pinhole, then I bagged them in a food saver bag and sealed them)
Can eat them straight or put them in some cookies at some point.

Butterball turkeys are at the Aldi's around me. I went to two different Aldi stores the past few weeks and they were fully stocked with turkeys at $1.39 per pound.

There's still no funyons around here at the grocery stores. BUT, I did find 4 bags at a party store I stopped at. I bought 1. I should be good for a while now. LOL! Those things are not healthy, so that's not something I'm going to stock up on. I think it was a blessing in disguise that I couldn't find them anywhere.

ETA: An aquaintence told me last week that the bank was short on $100 bills. Wow! She said her brother went in to cash out some of his accounts and they said he'd have to take some smaller bills. Hmmmmm......the bank running out of money? What's that sound like to you? Albeit, they were able to pay him out, but not with hundreds. Maybe it was an isolated incident? Still, if you want to cash out some accounts, you might consider doing it sooner rather than later.

Last edited:
Okay, this is not about a "shortage", but I have noticed that stores are putting candy everywhere in the run up to Halloween. We are not buying it this year and I don't see the shelves emptying out, but the press is saying that candy sells are way up... I just can't get my mind around what I am seeing versus what I am reading....

I mean when you put it into perspective we don't have sufficient supplies of the basic foods and we have an abundance of junk food??? It must be me... I must be wearing the wrong glasses.....
I've noticed and thought this same thing. Why can they ship candy/junk but not broccoli or chicken or . . . (anything wholesome)?

Someone doesn't want you healthy!!
Yep. I've yet to hear one source in main stream media stating that sugars annihilate the immune system. #1 Do when you feel your system is compromised (you might be catching something) cut out sugars and eat some soup.

I bought a Butterball turkey last week at Walmart, last one the had every other store did not have any. Need to get one for Xmas. Lots of empty shelves here , they built a new Dollar store up the road from me, in the boonies, shelves stay empty
There were plenty of turkeys in the store I went in last week, but good golly they were HUGE! :oops:
I think they are ones that didn't get slaughtered last year because of lockdowns.
The definition of "a tough old bird".:(

Our store got some in this past week. They are regular price. I got 1 just so I have one & will wait to see if they go on sale to get more.
Just got two for 0.99/lb. the Safeway just south of our town had a bunch.
One to can, the other for dinner.

I've noticed and thought this same thing. Why can they ship candy/junk but not broccoli or chicken or . . . (anything wholesome)?
Candy is made of corn syrup, artificial flavor, and artificial color. There's probably no shortage of those things...

The meat supply in my immediate area is really hit or miss. Walmart tends to be more miss than hit, but Fareway, which is our local chain with its headquarters and main distribution center in my county, has a full meat counter all the time. Last Thursday 80% fresh ground beef was $2.99/lb. I grabbed 4 packages. Meat prices in general have dropped just a little bit, not enough to make a huge difference.

Side note, Fareway is struggling hard to keep employees at its distribution center. Starting pay has risen from $14 to $20 in the last 18 months but they're still having problems. They even have good benefits, are family owned, and stores are closed on Sunday so employees get a day to worship and spend with family. Just goes to show how bad the labor shortage is, even around here...

Its all being held hostage
https://theconservativetreehouse.co...-resolved-until-every-american-is-vaccinated/

Buttigieg proclaimed the ports are being impacted by the pandemic, and ships stuck in China are the reason why ships are sitting off the coast of California. Yeah, try to square that circular logic. LOL. The scale of incompetence, even in common sense politispeak, is off the charts. The illogical statements by this guy are legendary; however, he outdid himself today.

Eventually Pete weaves his way through fourteen nonsensical catch phrases to get to a point where he proclaims nothing in the supply chain will start being more efficient until everyone is vaccinated. And yes, it appears that he is so stuck in pretzel-speak, Buttigieg actually believes that.

the issues with the backlog of the California ports have absolutely nothing to do with rapid unloading of ships and container vessels. The issue is the inability of California truckers to move those containers. The problem is a shortage of CA emission compliant internal transportation trucks to move the containers out of the port and into the U.S. mainland.

the politically expedient goal to get rid of the optical problem (the ships) by offloading containers into a California port system, that is already overwhelmed with tens-of-thousands of containers, is only making the original issue exponentially worse.

So everything is being held hostage basically by California.

He has no clue. This is what happens when diversity overrules qualifications, that is not meant to be mean spirited, it's just fact. First he was MIA for over 2 months, then when he comes back one of his first statements was that the backlog is a "good thing".

He has no clue. This is what happens when diversity overrules qualifications, that is not meant to be mean spirited, it's just fact. First he was MIA for over 2 months, then when he comes back one of his first statements was that the backlog is a "good thing".
He has no business being transportation secretary!

At least most on this forum realize what is coming for our future and our kids and grandkids future . Those that live in denial " most of the general population " will have a hard time entering it believing things in a few years will return back to the good old days when you could find plentiful goods stocked upon store shelves . Those living on a rural homestead will have a big advantage over the city dweller but will have to defend his or her resources from city dwellers and those that that believed what we are seeing is only a temporary economic downturn . --- Cooking oil is now becoming absent on store shelves as people begin to stock up for the looming crises .

I was trying to find a couple articles I saw last night with pics from some long shoreman showing empty docks saying it's not them holding things up as some talking points have made. They're saying ships aren't being docked for them to offload.

There are some stinky rats afoot with this entire thing...

This morning I did the shopping, saw most things fairly well stocked, even found some canning jars and lids at WM. The things I couldn't find today were the odd things like low sodium Teriyaki sauce, I have been looking for a spiral sliced ham for the last 3 weeks and haven't seen anything. I saw turkeys today, an odd brand (same brand at 3 different stores) but they were out of my price range... >$25. Saw a nice selection of chuck roasts at the high end grocery store, but I'm not going to pay $35 for one.....

I saw three spiral sliced hams day before yesterday, they were triple the price from last year.

They had 19 turkeys in the case, normally they would have 2 cases full by now. Last year turkey was .39 cents a pound, it's now 1.99 a pound. 16 pound turkey last year, 6.24, 16 pound turkey this year, 31.84.

Burger, same exact thing we were getting last year for 1.89 a pound for 80/20. We usually buy one of the packs they put up which is 3 to 4 pounds. On average a package was around 8 bucks, right now that same package is 18 to 20.

Baby back ribs are still way too much, most are over 25 bucks a slab, last year I could get them for 7.50 to 8.50 a slab.

Latest posts

Back