What Shortages are You Seeing?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have already had suttle inquiries about my personal home/school being used as a home school by people who don't want their kids vaxed (they are pushing for 5-11 yrs. starting in November). Now there is a conundrum.

That is a conundrum. Sending supportive thoughts your way, for whatever you decide.

For home schooling, in Ohio, it's just for your kids. Check your state to see the requirements/limitations. Seems taking other students would make you a "private school" , with potentially different requirements.

Ohio does have homeschooling co-ops. Lots and lots of co-ops. (I may have participated in one or two, but don't quote me on that... ;) )

ClemKadiddlehopper said: I have already had suttle inquiries about my personal home/school being used as a home school by people who don't want their kids vaxed (they are pushing for 5-11 yrs. starting in November). Now there is a conundrum.
That is a conundrum. Sending supportive thoughts your way, for whatever you decide.

Ohio does have homeschooling co-ops. Lots and lots of co-ops. (I may have participated in one or two, but don't quote me on that... ;) )

We home schooled as a single family (not a lot of support for it back when), but when we got to High school there were subjects that the wife was weak in, we (actually our son worked to ) purchased satellite delivered classes from Bob Jones Academy (we used their full curriculum, didn't follow their religious teaching) and the satellite classes were a real blessing, when the kids got to their "senior year" we put them in the community college and then they transferred to a University when they were ready.

Our experience was that home schooling works well if you take it very seriously, on a schedule, with high expectations. Our school days were from 07:00 till 15:30 every week day... The wife was a very harsh grader 95% for an A, 85% for a B, 75% for a C, anything less was failing resulting in a repeat of the topic and all relevant assignments. The kids were given assignments every day and they had the last hour and a half each day to do home-work that was to be graded first thing the next class day.... The had to finish their homework before they could play outside and even then they were not allowed outside until after the school bus had dropped off the local kids...

Today, with the internet widely available there should be a lot of resources to provide home schooled kids a good (superior) education relative to what they can get in the public system. But as parents we must be fully committed and consistent, anything less is a disservice to our/your children... Our/your children deserve the best curriculum and highest quality instruction you can obtain, they will be faced with a number of roadblocks in the future and a good education can overcome many of them.

Eventually all this state sanctioned racism and lowest common detonator education system will have employers begging for people who can actually do the job instead of just filling the Politically Correct position quota..... (Sorry, personal rant)

u.s. farm report yesterday said this time last year fertilizer was $450/ton and this week it hit over $1000/ton. one farmer told them he was putting fertilizer down and was paying $1200/ton this past week.

I have a friend who is manager at a local chain auto parts store, I stopped and got oil, filter, etc for my 2005 gmc, 6.0 liter, he told me buy more than 1 (or 2) filters and buy all the oil I can afford. His headquarters has put the word out they are having trouble purchasing oil right now especially Castrol and Mobil. He also told me a lot of parts are weeks/months out and some parts have no expected stock date.

u.s. farm report yesterday said this time last year fertilizer was $450/ton and this week it hit over $1000/ton. one farmer told them he was putting fertilizer down and was paying $1200/ton this past week.
That's going to have a big effect down the line...

I have a friend who is manager at a local chain auto parts store, I stopped and got oil, filter, etc for my 2005 gmc, 6.0 liter, he told me buy more than 1 (or 2) filters and buy all the oil I can afford. His headquarters has put the word out they are having trouble purchasing oil right now especially Castrol and Mobil. He also told me a lot of parts are weeks/months out and some parts have no expected stock date.
Thanks for the heads-up. I was talking to hubby about putting together oil change kits for all of the vehicles and equipment. Sounds like we should go for more than one for each.

i heard dagen mcdowell on fox news say her elderly father lives in rural virgina and was in a dollar tree and manager said all the inventory you see is all i will have until after end of the year. no deliveries till then.

I am not seeing big shortages but I am seeing spacious shelves... I decided to do a cost co order, no online Kirkland TP listed... Limits on some things canned albacore... Anyway I don't think of these things as shortages, just a new status quo of scarcity...

The wife used pomegranate juice to try to wash down her ground up potassium pills, that stuff is hard to find and when you do find it the price can range from $6 to $12 per bottle. She drinks 2 bottles a week sometimes I find myself hitting 3 or 4 stores trying to find it, I keep some on hand, but there is no way I could get in a year's supply of that stuff....

For me it is canned fruit, I prefer fresh but I am coming to realize that having an abundance of high quality fresh fruit is almost a thing of the past, so I am thinking I need to have canned peaches and citrus in my inventory...

I don't think the real shortages will appear before Christmas or early 2022, but I am expecting them to be real eye openers when they do arrive......

We keep a good amt of canned fruit, but no one eats it unless I put it in a bowl on the table with lunch or dinner. Like peaches.
My cousin sold his dairy operation (his Jersey cows) last year. He kept a few of the ladies for milk (3) and he buys calves at auction every Tuesday. Uses the 3 milk cows for calf bottles and for ours and his fresh milk. Why did he sell? He wasn't making any money on the milk. He has an organic certified farm, and the cows are fed organic grain and grass, and he said he'd make more money on the organic fertilizer they are pooping out. That's what he uses. Guess he was right.

Just heard a VP of a trucking organization for owner operators saying its not the trucks or drivers. They're there its the ports (longshoremen). The drivers sit for hours waiting to be loaded. Thats time wasted that they could be on the roads delivering.
So its not trucks its longshoremen (union :rolleyes:)

I just heard on the radio today that alcohol in glass bottles is going to be in short supply. They said they don't know when their orders are coming in or if they are even going to be coming in. I didn't hear the entire blurb, so I don't know who 'they' are. I'm assuming a wholesaler of some sort. I thought it was weird that they mentioned alcohol IN GLASS BOTTLES. If there is a supply issue, wouldn't it apply to all alcohol? I also found it a bit weird that we just discussed this in a thread recently. All I know is, if my friends can't find their favorite bottled spirits, I'm gonna be their best friend ever! I saw this coming, so I stocked up on some of their favorites.drink buddy But, I'll be keeping that tid bit to myself for a while. If they run out and can't get any more, maybe that'll teach em'a lesson to get things while the gettin's good. I have tried to warn them.....

I just heard on the radio today that alcohol in glass bottles is going to be in short supply. They said they don't know when their orders are coming in or if they are even going to be coming in. I didn't hear the entire blurb, so I don't know who 'they' are. I'm assuming a wholesaler of some sort. I thought it was weird that they mentioned alcohol IN GLASS BOTTLES. If there is a supply issue, wouldn't it apply to all alcohol? I also found it a bit weird that we just discussed this in a thread recently. All I know is, if my friends can't find their favorite bottled spirits, I'm gonna be their best friend ever! I saw this coming, so I stocked up on some of their favorites.drink buddy But, I'll be keeping that tid bit to myself for a while. If they run out and can't get any more, maybe that'll teach em'a lesson to get things while the gettin's good. I have tried to warn them.....
I had heard about limits at liquor stores but not about the glass bottles. When I stopped in for my monthly supply I asked and the clerk said

Yes but NOT on the stuff you buy.

I buy the cheap stuff in plastic bottles. ;)

Ben

Last edited:
The Princess is not comfortable with the shortages she has heard about and insisted I purchase the frig range dishwasher and microwave range hood for the remodel house. After making the purchase I asked sales clerk what the appliance supply chain looks like. He said...

"
It is not good and not getting better. You where smart to get your stuff now.
"

Ben

I'm trying to get a Sam's order together for my brother to pick up for me, and half of everything on my list is out of stock!
This is stuff that was ALWAYS in stock before Covid! They're even out of tomatoes!
A couple weeks ago, I tried to order bananas from Walmart, and they were out of stock. Dang.

Hit the local grocery this morning.
Empty shelves in a number of aisles.
Dairy/OJ
Frozen foods(veggies, breakfasts,pizzas, microwave meals,etc)
TP(sign stating they've put a limit on how much you can buy at a time)
Canned veggies
Spaghetti sauce/tomatoes

If there is a supply issue, wouldn't it apply to all alcohol?

The glass bottle is what's in short supply though with the way plastics are going it'll be next. We've been having issues all year getting resin to run. Initially they blamed the ice storm in Texas for shutting down the refineries but that should have been a short blip. there is something else going on.

On the trucks and the docks, Cali isn't bothering to mention about some of their laws they pushed in that ban trucks older than I think it's 2011 (due to emmisions) and they also forbid independent drivers from working in the state, i don't know all the details on that. Eralier this year I was moving a manufacturing operation from Cali to PA and truckes that normally would have been $5-6K were $10-11K. And talking with the drivers, they weren't getting much of that extra money...

8.50 a pound yesterday for a rack of baby back ribs, pushing 30 bucks a slab, 3 1/2 times what I paid for them last year.

Need some Tyson chicken products?

Nun for you.
20211029_133920.jpg

Need a turkey for Thanksgiving? Good luck!

FB_IMG_1635626631802.jpg

We could just roast the one I'm doing tomorrow, but I would rather grind him up. Maybe I better wait to see if any butterballs are at the Aldi in the big town. They had a dozen or so a few weeks ago, and I bought an 18 pounder, cooked it up for sandwich meat. The were full price. $1.69 a lb. Remember when you could get a free one if you bought $100 worth of groceries? I'd say, "Those were the days", but they weren't that long ago. I'd buy groceries for the preschool we owned, and we'd always cook a Thanksgiving meal a few days before for the kids and families. We'd do 3 turkeys, and I never paid for any of them.

Just heard a VP of a trucking organization for owner operators saying its not the trucks or drivers. They're there its the ports (longshoremen). The drivers sit for hours waiting to be loaded. Thats time wasted that they could be on the roads delivering.
So its not trucks its longshoremen (union :rolleyes:)

The longshoreman are putting out videos saying it's not them and showing empty docks. The ships aren't docking for whatever reason.

The longshoreman are putting out videos saying it's not them and showing empty docks. The ships aren't docking for whatever reason.
Back in the "old days" when we had the oil shortage there were tanker ships lined up full, they were running out of tanker space due to the oil shortage/embargo... If I were a conspiracy guy, I would say that someone is pulling strings to strangle the supply chain(s)....

Latest posts

Back