What Shortages are You Seeing?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oddly enough, Frozen diced onions.
Yea they're very hard to find here too

Back a few months ago, I was given a HUGE amount of fresh yellow onions. It about killed my poor eyes, but I used my food processor to chop them all up, then I divided them up and put them in the freezer. I have enough to last a looonnnggg time.
I'm so happy about that. One less thing to worry about.

Back a few months ago, I was given a HUGE amount of fresh yellow onions. It about killed my poor eyes, but I used my food processor to chop them all up, then I divided them up and put them in the freezer. I have enough to last a looonnnggg time.
I'm so happy about that. One less thing to worry about.
Did that with green peppers not long ago, but they don't make me cry😂 :)

Today I did the weekly shopping, I saw they had the spiral cut honey hams... But at over $60 I can no longer afford them... We have been looking for instant butterscotch pudding for the last several weeks to no avail... I saw store brand cream cheese but none of the Philly Brand....

Just a sidenote: When cutting/chopping onions if you stick your tongue out, it helps not burn your eyes. Your tongue absorbs the onion faster than your eyes. Even Hubby does this when he's making salsa. We call it "intelligently chopping onions" or "our intelligent look." 😂 Might look silly, but it helps.

Last night's shop showed a pretty marked shortage of gluten-free and more "healthy" food options, which is usually a leading indicator of more shortages to come - limited resources go to the bigger market. Also shopping for stocking stuffers, and lots of our "traditional" items are nowhere to be seen: big plastic candy canes stuffed with Skittles or Nerds (tons with M&Ms, but we also have dairy allergies in our family), Lifesaver candy canes, cheap $2-3 gloves, and chocolate oranges. There's no rhyme or reason to it I can see...

machine parts are very slow to arrive, 3 weeks for a hydraulic hose, comming up on 2 weeks for an ignition rotor for a magneto, my son has had to wait a month for tires for his truck, Gen 3 Dodge stock size.

No a big deal, but normal sized candy canes have not been easy to find. I have looked several places and finally decided to go to Target. Yes, they had them, but fruity flavored, not peppermint flavored. They will work because they are the size needed for the snowman soup kit I put together for children.

My wife made the once every 2-3 month all day trip into Los Anchorage to visit Costco and the military commissary. She said the shelves were fairly well stocked, but it dd cost her $1,200 to fill up her Subaru Forester with food. Most ever by a long shot.

No a big deal, but normal sized candy canes have not been easy to find. I have looked several places and finally decided to go to Target. Yes, they had them, but fruity flavored, not peppermint flavored. They will work because they are the size needed for the snowman soup kit I put together for children.
I went 3 places to find some about 1 1/2 weeks ago. I finally found them at the regular grocery store (not big box).

Went to the bigger town and we dropped off our truck at the Ford place for it's oil change. Quoted $55 3 days ago, and today was $76. Husband was told their oil price went up.
Went to Kohls while we were in town to find a baby gift for our neighbor's new babe. Was shocked. The store was 1/3 full. Even the kitchenware and sheets/towels were shelf fronted, nothing behind them. And still empty shelves. I was looking for a new skirt but nothing. They did have a few boxes of Moose Crunch, and I got those. I "earned" $20 Kohls cash to spend after Christmas, but I'll have to see if they even have anything to buy. No problem with full sized peppermint candy canes here. Got boxes of those and the big 1" diameter peppermint sticks for 50 cents each at the amish store.

Most of the shelves in stores around here have been fairly well stocked other than at the beginning of lockdowns & tp shortages, when everything was bare. Once in a while I'd notice an empty spot here or there, as if a particular brand of one item didn't come in, but everything else around it was full. That is until today at Safeway, there were quite a few holes of different things and that seemed strange to me since it's a Tuesday. Tomorrow the new weekly store ad comes out and it would usually be well stocked in advance. So I don't know if maybe I just hit it at the wrong time or what, but it was a little reminiscent of 2 years ago

As for the meat prices, well anything for that matter......I always check the clearance & markdowns. Sometimes I can find some pretty good bargains.

Only had one type of wet cat food--beef - in the brand I was looking for.
The last several times at Kroger the wet cat food shelves have been empty (today, too). Doesn't affect us, we order dry food from Chewy. But seeing those shelves does drive home the point about prepping for pets, too.

Latest posts

Back