What Shortages are You Seeing?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The mayo/condiments section in Lidls- what was there was sparse most of it empty. It's been something I've noticed in other stores too- I'm guessing it's to do with the oil, as there's a shortage of olive oil etc across Europe. No shortage of turkey or ham here; but beef is becoming expensive, even the cheaper cuts.

I have been doing my grocery shopping in the early mornings and have seen some shortages, my son suggested that I should go in the afternoon and see if it makes a difference. So, I went grocery shopping this afternoon and there was a difference there was more fresh stuff stocked, but the quality still looks poor. They had more cauliflower and they were adding more to it, they had about 8 sq-feet of broccoli which is about 3 times what they have had in the mornings. Bread was stocked better and the meat and cheeses were about par with holes visible. The only thing I saw as a "shortage" was cooking carrots, they had 3 shelves full of baby snacking carrots and 3 2# bags of cooking carrots.

So that's my report, my final take is that it may be worth while to find out when the staff normally complete their first stocking of the day.

But, the traffic and crowd really only added about 30 minutes to my shopping trip. I usually can be done in an hour including travel time.

The local luncheonette just came back from about a 2 week vacation. The owner went to Restaurant Depot and there were no French fries. Not one single fry. He then decided home made fries would be good on the menu. Limited to two 50 pound bags of potatoes. At a restaurant supply store.

I’ll be buying more potatoes to can and start dehydrating them.

II want to buy honey by the gallon, I was told that that is too large of a container for honey.
What do you think?

II want to buy honey by the gallon, I was told that that is too large of a container for honey.
What do you think?

Why would that be too large? I'd do it, I love honey.

The only shortage I keep noticing in my normal store is semi-sweet chocolate chips. I want to stock some for cookies but they're always gone. Regular milk chocolate chips are there but no semi-sweet. Just seems weird to me. :dunno:

What do you think?
I have purchased it in 1/2 gallons but have never seen it in gallons. Might contact the local extension office or professor google.

What do you think?
I'd look for a local beekeeper (or become one yourself) and buy local honey. Local pollen etc., in the honey, provides health benefits. A local beekeeper should be willing to put honey into any container that you want.

You can get free buckets from the bakery at most grocery stores. I've received 1, 2, 3.5, 4, and 5 gallon buckets. They are usually clean but I run them through the dishwasher if I put food or water in them.

My son’s hospital is out of Ensure products. That’s a pretty big deal on the cancer floors where loss of appetite and weight loss are big problems, and sneaking nutrients into a body is a never-ending struggle.

I overheard one of the nutritionists on the phone trying to nail down when the next truckload would arrive.

My son’s hospital is out of Ensure products. That’s a pretty big deal on the cancer floors where loss of appetite and weight loss are big problems, and sneaking nutrients into a body is a never-ending struggle.

I overheard one of the nutritionists on the phone trying to nail down when the next truckload would arrive.
Mom lost her appetite when she got sick. She had no extra weight to start with. The doc prescribed Magestrol Acetate and her appetite came back in a few days. After 3 or 4 days she started eating more. After a week and a half or two she was eating as much as normal. Today it was 3 Ensure+, 1 scrambled egg w/cheese, 1 avocado toast mayo, and strawberry shortcake. That may not sound like much but the woman weighed 105# her entire life.

I quit giving her the med after 10 days or so and her appetite just kept improving.

We use a lot of a insure type product with 20 grams protein and one gram of sugar. I have been freeze drying quite a bit of it in anticipation of shortages.

Not too bad here this week other than cat/dog food and I only noticed because I went to buy some for a homeless guy.
Interestingly, supermarket staff do not know what items will be delivered from the warehouses. They are as surprised as anyone! Like @Caribou I get buckets from restaurants. Mayo are the best ones, and I store my sugar in them.
Anyone who knows Irish history will appreciate the irony of the UK potato crop failing this year due to the heat. They may have to get it from us! 50 fish and chip shops closed last month alone in Northern Ireland, due to rising costs/ lack of flour, fish and oil. My people watching lately have confirmed people are only concerned about the lack of electricity this winter- the coffee shops and unnecessary expenses are still a priority. My OH is a self employed carpenter; he's commented on less folks looking for quotes from him and fellow builders. There's not a lot of work lined up for winter.

Not too bad here this week other than cat/dog food and I only noticed because I went to buy some for a homeless guy.
Interestingly, supermarket staff do not know what items will be delivered from the warehouses. They are as surprised as anyone! Like @Caribou I get buckets from restaurants. Mayo are the best ones, and I store my sugar in them.
Anyone who knows Irish history will appreciate the irony of the UK potato crop failing this year due to the heat. They may have to get it from us! 50 fish and chip shops closed last month alone in Northern Ireland, due to rising costs/ lack of flour, fish and oil. My people watching lately have confirmed people are only concerned about the lack of electricity this winter- the coffee shops and unnecessary expenses are still a priority. My OH is a self employed carpenter; he's commented on less folks looking for quotes from him and fellow builders. There's not a lot of work lined up for winter.
The Irish potato famine was taught when I was in school. It is part of our history because of all the Irish that moved here then. The potato famine is so ingrained in our history that it is part of the story in many movies. Sorry to hear about your crop failure, I imagine that brings back bad memories.

Last edited:
The Irish potato famine was taught when I was in school. It is part of our history because of all the Irish that moved here then. The potato famine is so ingrained in our history that it is part of the story in many movies. Sorry to hear about your crop failure, I imagine that brings back bad memories.
The big problem was the Irish eat mostly white potatoes, it was compounded because it was one major variety. So grown & eat all you want, but do like Bacpacker & grow more than one variety.
It also may help to plant different plots/beds away from each other to stop the spread of pest & diseases.

The big problem was the Irish eat mostly white potatoes, it was compounded because it was one major variety. So grown & eat all you want, but do like Bacpacker & grow more than one variety.
It also may help to plant different plots/beds away from each other to stop the spread of pest & diseases.

True, but according to Magpie this time around it is because of a hot dry summer. Stuff happens. Unfortunately, a lot of problems are happening to crops this year. Also there are many fires, etc. with food warehouses and factories.

What do you think?
That's crap, they sell molasses in gallon tin paint cans, or used to

Latest posts

Back