What Shortages are You Seeing?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If enough people stop buying the price will have to come down or the product will not sale.
Unfortunately, a big percentage of these price increases is the fact your dollars are not worth as much as they were in 2020.

Walmart has the Halloween candy set out. Shocker prices. The big brands, in prepriced bags/display boxes. Lots of things are going to become expendable.
For some, not a problem. For many, it’s different.
Next will come layoffs or cut hours. Products that aren’t selling enough or make a profit won’t be worth producing.

I truly pray that some on this forum, "QUICKLY" come grips with where this is going.

(this is NOT pointed at any member, just the general anxiety of this thread currently, relative to the near future)

Keep a close eye on Europe....you'll see the future.

The Wife told me last night after grocery shopping in town that we will not be buying anymore mayonnaise.
The only brand she will buy, Dukes, (we’re Southern to the core) has doubled in price since Biden started improving the economy.
I asked about the other brands and she said they have increased in price too.
I think she said the 48 ounce jar of Dukes was now $7.
That might not sound like a big deal to some, but on a fixed income it is.
And even with me working part time, we are still under the federal poverty level.
DW just told me Dukes has went up to $4.00 a quart, so we maybe cutting back on it too.

DW just told me Dukes has went up to $4.00 a quart, so we maybe cutting back on it too.
I broke down and bought a jar of Dukes.
It was the 32 ounce size, and the price In Folkston, GA was $6.99.
The house brand, Southeast Grocers was $4.99 for the same size, most others alongside Dukes, such as Blue Plate, were the same $6.99 for a 32 oz jar.
Helman's was $7.99 for the 32 oz size.

I broke down and bought a jar of Dukes.
It was the 32 ounce size, and the price In Folkston, GA was $6.99.
The house brand, Southeast Grocers was $4.99 for the same size, most others alongside Dukes, such as Blue Plate, were the same $6.99 for a 32 oz jar.
Helman's was $7.99 for the 32 oz size.
I ask her again & she said it was $4.00 at Walmart, but over $5.00 at other store's.

I do my grocery shopping once a week, we make a list and I abide by it. I have a route that I follow that allows me to hit 3 grocery stores and 2 wal-marts. The wife prefers that I get everything at her favorite grocery store, but as of late their produce department has been sparse so I make the second stop. I try to get canned goods at W-mart as the prices are a tad lower. As long as I can get everything on my list I do not consider there to be shortages, just disruptions and price increases... :)

We have noticed that as my gardens came on line and started producing lettuce, spinach, cucumbers, and tomatoes that our shopping lists are getting smaller and smaller. My indoor tomatoes are doing great now, they are producing fruit in abundance so I don't envision buying salad tomatoes anymore. Now if I could just get the cucumbers to learn from them... ;)

Today's big items are butter and cream cheese in the dairy, 2 flats of raman noodles and a couple flats of condensed soup (veggy-beef and beef-barley) from W_M, I need 1 quart of motor oil so that will be at W-M. If I leave by 5:40AM I can run my errands and be to work by 08:00

Last edited:
To be honest I quiet looking for shortages, I am just keeping my in-home grocery store fully stocked and praying I have enough to get through to next 2 years. I have noticed that my (non-English speaking) neighbors are creating grow shelves in their front rooms (south facing) and adding growing pots to their decks. Everyone is quietly gearing up for a long lean winter......

Hey, @Magus don't worry about new coveralls, just keep your old ones and they will fit by spring ;)
My BDU pants are falling off my butt now. its this stupid gut that won't go anywhere. even after I mostly quit drinking!

My BDU pants are falling off my butt now. its this stupid gut that won't go anywhere. even after I mostly quit drinking!
I remember when my Dad quit smoking, he gained so much weight he just gave up... I switched to suspenders because my belt kept letting me down. ;)

rural king online..berne...almost as good as the old pointers use to be.

Had planned on picking up what I need mid-week when it's quiet, but the youngest has been asked to stay on for weekend work while in college; so I'll be doing it on a Saturday.
Here prices continue to rise, and stuff missing on shelves this morning in Lidl.
No wraps or condiments, only two types of frozen chips, an overall lack of selection of other items, and as they have moved their shelves around a bit it's hard to tell if stuff will be back.
I shop slightly differently during the school term; less milk, more bread/lunch stuff. Instead of big family pots of yoghurt, smaller ones etc.

The grocery items that people would class as '70's food' and turn their nose up at, is horrendously expensive; tinned corned beef which is great fried with potatoes is now €3.69. It used to be about 1.20, because hardly anyone bought it. Same with any tinned meats, that I always have for camping/emergencies etc as we don't can meat. Some have disappeared totally, such as the odd-shaped tinned ham in jelly.
I went with a list of essentials I was out of, didn't deviate, other than to replace the chicken I took out for the freezer for tomorrow's dinner, as it was on sale- and did not buy a family weeks shop, as I have my own veg and already planned dinners for the week. No cleaning products, tins, jars, treats or pet food, as well stashed. Still spent €78.

Pulled into Burger King / Hungry Jacks trying to get a salad and a sign below the drive through speaker said "No Beef Products Available".
I asked for grilled chicken on my salad and they had no grilled chicken left.
I asked for Cesar dressing - no Cesar dressing.
In fact the only protein they had was fried chicken patties - vegan crap doesn't count.
I passed on the offer of a plastic clam shell of tired, browning lettuce rips, 2 cherry tomatoes and a dozen carrot shreds that passes as a salad and drove on through empty handed.
I witness a lot of rage directed at the poor spotty tween at the serving window.

Pulled into Burger King / Hungry Jacks trying to get a salad and a sign below the drive through speaker said "No Beef Products Available".
I asked for grilled chicken on my salad and they had no grilled chicken left.
I asked for Cesar dressing - no Cesar dressing.
In fact the only protein they had was fried chicken patties - vegan crap doesn't count.
I passed on the offer of a plastic clam shell of tired, browning lettuce rips, 2 cherry tomatoes and a dozen carrot shreds that passes as a salad and drove on through empty handed.
I witness a lot of rage directed at the poor spotty tween at the serving window.
Burger King is one of the worst fast food places here lately! Really pushing non-meat items!

I only eat at the local BBQ, I know where his meat comes from, and the rotisserie at Kroger or Walmart. they use locally sourced chickens.

My Dad, who, like many of you folk, keeps his finger (virtually) on the pulse of shortages, has just ordered a bale of jars for his processing over the next year or two- he says there will be a worldwide shortage of glass. Germany is the main EU maker, and the costs of manufacturing have spiralled. As they use gas, they, and Italy, are cutting back production.
He also said electric and mechanical replacement parts are practically non existent.

OK, well then it's good that I stocked up at our Dollar General store with quart canning jars (glass). Have alot at home, but figure you can't have too many. They are selling them for $10 a case. Also found Ball brand pints, a flat just missing one jar for $3.99 yesterday at the bin store. So 11 jars for that price was good.

Alot of larger bags are off the shelves locally here. But Aldi has 4lb bags for $2.49, so about the same price. Still, it's not pure cane, but I can live with that. I did get a deal on some marked down turbinado sugar at the amish discount bulk area. Sugar will last forever. I can remember not long ago getting those 4 lb bags for a dollar less. I did find pinto beans (dry) for a buck a lb the other day.

With me actually working at a grocery store, I do scan isles walking past and see some empty holes. I work with specialty cheeses. I have seen the shortages in my area. I can order and yet NOTHING comes some days. Right now with peoples income, I am having to "downsize" the size of piece. I raised this business years ago. I used to do 4 different jobs years ago and now at 1 only. . . cheese production. Inflation has even hit here in the deep south.

As for non food items I was just at our local staples store (the only one in a 75 mile radius) and sections looked like they had just had a black friday sale. empty shelves at least in the earphone dept. where I was looking and memory cards for our camera were not well stocked (i bought the last of the 128gb cards). Maybe just no one to stock the shelves or those china goods are getting scarce.

They were dismantling an aisle today at the Carr's/Safeway. I asked if they were widening the aisles. She told me that they were replacing the shelves with new ones that held more. I said, "Yea, you can't even keep the current shelves stocked." She just smiled.

I have 4 (20+lb) turkeys and 14 (12 -16 lb) chickens in the freezer.

I am just back from town. 3 dinky chickens in a bag now cost $46.79. That's $15.00 for a scrawny stewing chicken.

The roosters I butchered a few weeks ago were 3x their size and I thought they were pathetic. I just got an attitude readjustment.
I have four or more turkeys in the freezer from last year.

The Wife told me last night after grocery shopping in town that we will not be buying anymore mayonnaise.
The only brand she will buy, Dukes, (we’re Southern to the core) has doubled in price since Biden started improving the economy.
I asked about the other brands and she said they have increased in price too.
I think she said the 48 ounce jar of Dukes was now $7.
That might not sound like a big deal to some, but on a fixed income it is.
And even with me working part time, we are still under the federal poverty level.
Have you tried making your own?

Latest posts

Back