What will the unprepared consume when the recession kicks in?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neb

Jack of all trades master of some
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
The Princess and I have homework to figure out what will the poor and lower middle class eat once inflation picks up and fast food is out reach?

So far we decided ...

Ramen Noodles
Beans and rice, rice and beans.

Thanks in advance for ideas!

Ben

Ben

The Princess and I have homework to figure out what will the poor and lower middle class eat once inflation picks up and fast food is out reach?

So far we decided ...

Ramen Noodles

Beans and rice is much better than rice and beans. :thumbs:
For the rest of 'em, don't toss out that manure, you're gonna need it ;)...
https://www.homesteadingforum.org/threads/i-think-im-going-to-puke.16039/post-471609
For us, we will dodge starvation by eating the unlimited shrimp, crab, crawfish, and redfish...
Oh, the horror!gaah
(yes, we will have red-beans and rice to go with it:))

For the rest of 'em, don't toss out that manure, you're gonna need it...
https://www.homesteadingforum.org/threads/i-think-im-going-to-puke.16039/post-471609
For us, we will dodge starvation by eating the unlimited shrimp, crab, crawfish, and redfish...
Oh, the horror!gaah
Thank you dor that but I should clarify...

We are planning to shift our investments to companies that will supply the food people will need. So I am looking for food stuffs provided by a publicly traded companies.

Thank you

Ben

That's a tricky question right now. I would ordinarily look to what people ate in the great depression. I know people would get a large bag of flour (remember the dresses made from flour sacks?). But right now we have problems with wheat shortages, so maybe that won't happen. People last year would buy lots of eggs from Walmart...the 60 ct egg flats were cheap protein, but those prices have gone up 3x. Store brands of things are cheaper than name brands, and I believe people are buying more of those. For instance, Aldi brand box of mac and cheese today was 43 cents a box. Kraft brand mac and cheese right next to the Aldi brand was $1.24. So that right there is a no brainer.

We are planning to shift our investments to companies that will supply the food people will need. So I am looking for food stuffs provided by publicly traded companies.
I never thought about those before.
For the USA, I wouldn't ignore:
General Mills Inc.
Conagra Brands Inc.
Campbell Soup Co.
(I can't post ticker-symbols with links because that is 'investment advice':confused:)

Depressing advice, for sure, but what companies will the govt contract with when they put us on digital currency and start controlling the food buys? With covid, they closed down all the mom and pops, and let Amazon, Walmart, Sams, and Costco get rich. (not to mention the pharm companies). So if they try to make us all UBI with digital currencies, what companies will they choose to make that food? I'm gonna guess it'll be the companies with a good govt ESG score. Those that are cowtowing to the govt. Invest in those.

Actually, the poor and lower middle class might make out better than the middle class. When food gets too expensive and passes the best by date, grocery stores around here donate it to the food cupboards in return for an inflated tax write off. Food cupboards may be leaner, but there will probably be provisions. The middle class is the group that has to figure out whether dinner will be rice or ramen again.

Good ideas so far.

If you have more ideas please share.

The Princess and I will use the suggestions as inspiration on Saturday.

Re: cheap liquor

The cheapest whiskey that I have found that is palatable is Old Crow. Made by the same group that makes Jack Daniels.

Re: cheap beer

Molson Coors makes Keystone Light. Sold in 30 or 36 can cases.

Re: Campbell's soup

When I grew up poor there was always Campbell's soup on the shelf.

Re: Aldi mac n cheese

I have read that the same processing plants make products for various companies. Aldis may be another company to consider.

Ben

If I'm thinking investments, I would target GOYA but they are a privately held company (no stocks). As a second choice I would look towards their closest publicly traded competitors.

Kraft Heinz Company - Market prices have been kind of inline with S&P 500 trends
Campbell Soup Company - Market price was choppy but is still higher than a year ago
Conagra Brands, Inc. - Market price has been choppy
Del Monte Foods, Inc. - Market price looks like a downward trend
JBS USA Holdings, Inc. - Market price had been going up but declined since April

edit: I added what I saw from market for the last year -

Last edited:
If I'm thinking investments, I would target GOYA but they are a privately held company (no stocks). As a second choice I would look towards their closest publicly traded competitors.

Kraft Heinz Company
Campbell Soup Company
Conagra Brands, Inc.
Del Monte Foods, Inc.
JBS USA Holdings, Inc.
I see common ground forming...

This is going good.

Ben

Thank you all ideas. They help us a lot

The princess
We live in a free market.
You can buy/invest-in anything you want.
I have to confess to seizing opportunity in the last recession we were in.
Anyone that doesn't think we are headed into another one, needs to ask: "is any piece of the puzzle missing?":dunno: I don't think so.:(
Doing this stuff is just not that hard.

The unprepared will be eating whatever they can get a hold of would be my guess. I really think so many have no idea what is going to be coming with the shortages that are eventually coming to our country. Some will die,. . . others will come after grocery stores, warehouses, and even the prepared.

The unprepared will be eating whatever they can get a hold of would be my guess. I really think so many have no idea what is going to be coming with the shortages that are eventually coming to our country. Some will die,. . . others will come after grocery stores, warehouses, and even the prepared.
I don't think it will be anywhere near that bad.
But we only need to look at other countries where people stand in line for hours to get their 'ration' of food.
I think Ben and the Princess are onto something.
Companies that supply food will be able to write any price they want on the ticket followed by: "Take it or leave it! :mad:".
It will make the price of gas look like bubblegum.
15c8dcaea8cff17cd34b82597ed0a560--gumball-machine-vintage-stuff.jpg

Last edited:
@Neb and @ThePrincess There is a reason rice and beans are called peasant food. Grains also. So companies associated with those. The other thing is certain whohaws are trying to create and promote artificial "foods." The other thing to consider is seed companies (my opinion.) If false foodstuffs are going to be pushed, there will be a certain number of folks who want to grow and eat real food and the only way to do that will to be to do it yourself (obviously, many won't.) I think that's sorta what you're asking. The other thing is during past wars, fish seemed to be cheaper than red meat so was eaten more frequently.

Frozen burritos, pizza bites, chicken nuggets.
Well, the GF went to costco and 2 other stores and could not find any chicken nuggets. She then looked for frozen pizzas for the kids and they were out of stock too. We don't/wont do frozen burritos. Things are getting scarce.

To honestly answer your question (KETO alert) it would be best to stock up on protein. Carbs may sound good but if your body has fat and no carbs it will burn the fat and will learn to get by perfectly fine with protein and fat. Fat being animal fat and things like olive oil and butter or cream or cheese.
Aside from the KETO lesson, most things we think we like and need are not helpful in a healthy diet. Stock up on things like tuna in oil, or canned meat, or bacon, or fatty burger, or cheap chicken meat (dark meat like the legs and thighs are the cheapest cuts), and 100% beef hotdogs if they are affordable. If you want veggies grow them in the garden. When you are "starving" your body will burn the fat on your body or the fat you consume and you will quickly learn that 1 or 2 meals a day is plenty to keep away the hunger pains and keep you healthy.

We have been trying to stock up on the protein whenever it is affordably available. But, with our chickens and ducks we have a steady supply of eggs and duck meat. Duck is delicious and when roasted has a similar texture and taste to roast beef. We just need to have a reliable source of feed for the birds and we will have a reliable source of food for the family.

For the rest of 'em, don't toss out that manure, you're gonna need it ;)...
Oh, the horror!gaah

i seen an article out of deep south recently that said the original red beans and rice was actually the red ripper peas with rice. any thoughts or knowledge since you live in deep south?

https://hosstools.com/product/red-ripper-pea/

So far we decided ...

Ramen Noodles

Ben

Ben

was at my local mom and pop bulk grocery/produce stand.they sale dry beans by the pound. the cheapest item dry bean is $2.49/# now...many dry beans are $4.99/# now like yellow eyed beans and octobers and much more.

@Neb and @ThePrincess There is a reason rice and beans are called peasant food. Grains also. So companies associated with those. The other thing is certain whohaws are trying to create and promote artificial "foods." The other thing to consider is seed companies (my opinion.) If false foodstuffs are going to be pushed, there will be a certain number of folks who want to grow and eat real food and the only way to do that will to be to do it yourself (obviously, many won't.) I think that's sorta what you're asking. The other thing is during past wars, fish seemed to be cheaper than red meat so was eaten more frequently.
😂 This is why I don't usually comment after my bedtime (8pm) - "the other thing" 😂

Latest posts

Back