What would you do faced with 50% inflation?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This is a harbinger of things to come as living standards are falling all over the planet.
Soon they will fall so low that many people cant feed themsleves.

This is a harbinger of things to come as living standards are falling all over the planet.
Soon they will fall so low that many people cant feed themsleves.
I know this is a post in a post, but I was thinking about this thread earlier & while it might not seem related, it really is. In the past, children were second rate citizens and considered "another mouth to feed" as seen in some countries still today. We went from orphanages & orphan trains to $10K+ to adopt and now have a society that tends to worship children and how dare you say no to jr. etc. With inflation being what it is, it will be interesting to see how some parents and children respond. I'm not wishing for orphans - just for the pendulum to not be at one pole or the other.

Back to the bourbon. Store it in glass only, not plastic.
Store it where its cool and dark.
If its going to be there until the mark doubles, Put 1/2 of an ounce of oak charcoal in the bottle.

Those are good points, Lady L. My mom recalls my grandparents taking in two orphans for the summer. They were only 5, but some took in orphans that were older for farm work. Big families are normal here (5 to 9 kids) because of the farms. I'm also thinking of England wartime discussed in the Wartime Farm series where the city children were taken to farms to keep them safe from the city bombing and also they helped where they could. That would be nuts to even think about, being given a handful of children of different ages, that you don't even know. Also now, Biden is sending out the "monthly checks" for each child instead of the year end child tax credit. Supposed to be renewed or ended this month. I read an article that interviewed a few parents saying that they can't afford to feed their family if these monthly checks stops coming. It's about $300 a month per child, give or take, depending on their age.

BY THE GODS MAN! How is it we're not into hyper inflation and people stealing wheelbarrows full of cash just for the wheelbarrow?!
And by the way, you could build some mighty nice deep bunkers with all that, who's living in them?

...And by the way, you could build some mighty nice deep bunkers with all that, who's living in them?

..However many Illegal Aliens the Sniffer-In-Chief turned into Millionaires just for breaking the Law / "having" Children they "lost" (which DNA-tests show, Many aren't-even theirs..) and 'seeking asylum', herein, Pfff... It's friggin Gov-assisted Proxy-Invasion > Voters, plain and simple.. :mad:

jd

I did read to the end Elkhound, and yep we're on a slow collapse. I don't see a come back.
Although I'm not sure about the author saying we've had record crops for awhile and the farmers don't need the subsidies. Ice Age Farmer has shown stats for awhile on poor crops in many areas. And why we keep importing our grain to China is beyond me. But the subsidies and then taxing really did mess with dairy farming and the price of milk the last few years. Govt blamed it on lack of truckers, and maybe so, but a cousin of mine ended up selling most all of his dairy cows when the milk guy wouldn't pick up all that he had milked every other day. He said the poop was worth more than the milk. Was just listening to a Glenn Beck clip yesterday where he was talking about how the biggest money grab by the elites was happening now. That chart that was showed on your article showed that we're just below Lebanon, and we see how that's turning out for them right now.

Thankfully everything is paid for now and we live in an area with two growing seasons. We have 20 acres of hardwoods for heating which isn’t even necessary for most of the year. We have two wells, a pond and a river so we’re good with water. 500 gallon propane tank is full and will keep the stove and ovens going for awhile. Protecting the garden, fruit trees, etc could be an issue since we don’t have fencing done yet. I would like to get solar installed and rabbits, breed my own chickens, chicken plucker, and possibly a milk cow. We still have so many projects we’d like to get done before anything happens. Inflation hasn’t hit as hard here as in other places but we are still seeing it. We’ve just been substituting or doing without items that have gone up and making cuts elsewhere in the budget to compensate. The adult kids are all financially independent and have started prepping so that helps some.

Our rate has been that low since they had to crank it down that far to get us out of the recession of the Oshama years when nobody was buying anything.
But fear not, the fed will be cranking up interest rates soon to 'curb' inflation. :thumbs:
If you want to be getting a loan, you best be about doing it; and don't get an ARM.:oops:
I’ve thought about getting a loan against an asset I don’t need or care about losing to finish some projects around here. Or I could just go back to work, full time for a year would probably do it, but healthcare industry is crazy right now and I’m not going to get any vaccines.

https://usdebtclock.org/
screenshot-usdebtclock.org-2021.12.30-18_02_12.png

At this point 50% inflation would be a blessing. Because almost everything I bought today was ten times as much as when I bought the same stuff last year. Went to NAPA for some filters and such today and was only able to get about 1/3 of what I was after. Fuel filter for the tractor was $2 and change last time this time was $21.98. Everything was that way except Mobil 1 I got a 5 quart jug for $30 which is actually about the same as last year. The total should have run about $75 - $90 for everything we went after, that's a little more than it was last year. It was about $68 last year. As I said we only got about one third of what we went after because that much was slightly over $200.

To top all that off they didn't have several items we have to have so we had to order and go back and get them tomorrow. At least they can get them.

At this point 50% inflation would be a blessing. Because almost everything I bought today was ten times as much as when I bought the same stuff last year. Went to NAPA for some filters and such today and was only able to get about 1/3 of what I was after. Fuel filter for the tractor was $2 and change last time this time was $21.98. Everything was that way except Mobil 1 I got a 5 quart jug for $30 which is actually about the same as last year. The total should have run about $75 - $90 for everything we went after, that's a little more than it was last year. It was about $68 last year. As I said we only got about one third of what we went after because that much was slightly over $200.

To top all that off they didn't have several items we have to have so we had to order and go back and get them tomorrow. At least they can get them.
Filters were one of the things we stocked up on at the beginning of all this mess - sounds like it was a good thing to do!

Well that's encouraging..................................not. I was just looking at the debt clock a few days ago, and all I could do is shake my head.

My middle one called the other day complaining about prices, gas, groceries etc. My response? Elections have consequences..........................she voted for biden. :)

I asked her why when she did it, her answer, because he isn't Trump. All I could do was chuckle at her, she didn't like that either.

Well that's encouraging..................................not. I was just looking at the debt clock a few days ago, and all I could do is shake my head.

My middle one called the other day complaining about prices, gas, groceries etc. My response? Elections have consequences..........................she voted for biden. :)

I asked her why when she did it, her answer, because he isn't Trump. All I could do was chuckle at her, she didn't like that either.
I like to say, "Words have meanings." That's not really applicable, but what is: "Actions have consequences."

Big thing to hope for now is all those that voted biden because he wasn't Trump will see the error of their vote and do much better in 2022 and again in 2024.

I'd like to think that, right now I have a vote of no confidence. I think our goose is cooked, I don't even like goose, but I may have to adapt, lol.

We had all our 20# propane tanks filled this fall, but have used 3 of them and went to get them filled today b/c we had the truck. We also grabbed some groceries for the first time in quite a while and WOW.....sticker shock every friggin time we go to town anymore. :mad: The sale items always seem to be gone and the sizes of everthing in the grocery store is shrinking.

We had to exchange one of the propane tanks b/c it was outdated for what they would fill and it was $3 more than what it was just about 4 months ago, from $14.97 to $17.97 plus tax. Still, we don't like having empty tanks sitting around this time of year when power could go out, so we got them filled.

We had to exchange one of the propane tanks b/c it was outdated for what they would fill and it was $3 more than what it was just about 4 months ago,

Just a note on swapping out propane tanks. I do the same if I have an outdated tank because it's cheaper than buying a new tank.

Just be aware, the ones around here at least, Blue Rhino are not full. I traded out a couple and noticed they didn't last as long so I decided to weigh them. My Daughter worked at a place that filled them and swapped them so there was a scale there. A full Blue Rhino tank weighed in at 30 pounds consistently, that's 7 pounds below full. I pulled 4 tanks out of the swap bin and they all weighed 30 pounds. 37 pounds it what they should weigh when full.

A 20 pound cylinder weighs about 17# give or take a little, full it should be 37 pounds (20 pounds of propane), hence the term 20 pounder. They charge more for them and you only get 13 pounds of propane instead of the 20#.

Just a PSA for those that might not be aware.

They quit putting 20 lbs in them many years ago as a safety thing since only 15 lbs. They claim full tanks were popping the over pressure valves and spewing propane when they were left in sunlight during hot weather. They even changed the inside valve so it closes with a float to keep you from being able to fill them all the way.

Latest posts

Back