WHATEVER is Coming, where will the "SAFER" place be......???

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Agreed. Some people are predisposed, trained, and want to be the last person on Earth. Others aren't trained for, and don't want to be that. It's just a difference in outlook. Neither outlook is right. Neither is wrong. People should prep for the outlook they agree with.
I have "ZERO" problem with that logic.

Just be aware that unless people "Self-Abort" they by default become "pop-up" targets for "ALL" those prepared for longer period. If some want to be prepared for (7) Seven months, at the end they either self-abort, or get terminated. Those prepared for Two Years & Five Months either self-abort or get terminated when they become predators.

When your food and all needed supplies are used-up you become a "PREDATOR" to all those still alive, with supplies.

I think the Bible calls this "Free Will". Choose Wisely.

Last edited:
people seem to expect things to get back to normal within a relatively short time frame, but what if the new "normal" is nothing like the normal they knew before.
I dont expect things to get back to normal EVER. once the collapse happens it wont ever be the same again.
I agree with you, lonewolf, about never getting "back to normal", but for another reason as well. Even if society could build itself back up to the, say, late 18th Century/early 19th Century, one might think we could advance from there, starting with coal-fired steam engines, megajoules of electricity for aluminum refining, and the Bessemer process for high-grade steel. If that were the case, we should be right back to today's technology within a couple of hundred years maximum.

Unfortunately, we have used up so many easily-recoverable hydrocarbon sources (coal, oil, and natural gasses) that it would be close to impossible to recover what's left with 1800's technology.

Unfortunately, we have used up so many easily-recoverable hydrocarbon sources (coal, oil, and natural gasses) that it would be close to impossible to recover what's left with 1800's technology.
I will have to respectfully disagree with you on natural gas.
We have NG wells all around us here. The beautiful thing is, all of the equipment used to harvest it is powered by, natural gas, all the way thru including distribution.
Just the wells we have in place today, will supply more than we will need.... for decades.
The excess has always been exported.

We have NG wells all around us here. The beautiful thing is, all of the equipment used to harvest it is powered by, natural gas, all the way thru including distribution.
Just the wells we have in place today, will supply more than we will need.... for decades.
Agreed.

I toured a NG pumping station that was NG powered.

Ben

I agree with you, lonewolf, about never getting "back to normal", but for another reason as well. Even if society could build itself back up to the, say, late 18th Century/early 19th Century, one might think we could advance from there, starting with coal-fired steam engines, megajoules of electricity for aluminum refining, and the Bessemer process for high-grade steel. If that were the case, we should be right back to today's technology within a couple of hundred years maximum.

Agree but will add...

I have a coal seam on the property we call The Ridge.

All of those megajoules used to refine aluminum from ore are not needed when recycling aluminum. One could cast aluminum in a backyard fire pit.

What is required is knowledge of where to find the resources and how to use them. That is where hardcopies of books are required if we have a good chance of leap-frogging from chaos, hunter-gatherer, agricultural life styles to 1890-1910.

Ben

Agreed.

I toured a NG pumping station that was NG powered.

Ben
Yep. We got lots of those. :thumbs:
Each red dot on the map below is a NG plant (not just a well).
Looks like we got lots of zits on our face.:(
LA_Other_Facilities_rev031808.jpg

Think I am going to pop this here as it seems appropriate. I know many here are well advanced in home protection, but thought there were a couple good ideas in this video - regardless of where you are.
GRRRR! Saying video is not available. I will post the name and title as well as the link. I think it's worth the watch ~18min.
How to defend your property by Canadian Prepper

The "safer" place to be? That, pretty much, depends on your opinion of "Whatever".

If you believe that the end-game -- i.e., whatever it is that you're prepping for -- involves a general nuclear exchange, then you might pick places like South Island NZ, Tasmania, and Southern Chile or Argentina where, if nothing else, you'd be safe from radiation sickness.

Others in the prepping community (your humble servant among them) may be more concerned with climate change as humanity's existential issue. Maybe these preppers would look for more mundane solutions; moving to locations with a good aquifer or other long-term water supply, or away from the eastern coast of North America with its hurricanes increasing in number and intensity, might be their choice.

Others -- a substantial number, in my opinion -- see increased government intrusion, or a renascence of a more militant and nationalist christian theocracy right down the road. Interestingly enough, this set of scenarios are worries to both the "liberals" and "conservatives"; it's that the same scenarios that frighten the Right are seen by the Left as a good thing ...

...and vice versa.

When you think about it, your "safe place" is supposed to protect you from whatever you think is going to happen. So what are you worried about? It might not be the other guys' worries at all!

When you think about it, your "safe place" is supposed to protect you from whatever you think is going to happen. So what are you worried about? It might not be the other guys' worries at all!
But wait!
I thought everybody knew that the safest place to be, would be next door to @Sourdough :D.
If things didn't improve after one year, I'm comin' to see you:).
Luv ya' buddy!:huggs:

But wait!
I thought everybody knew that the safest place to be, would be next door to @Sourdough :D.
It would take me and mine more than a year to get to his place. We are better off living in the shadows with what we got. It is the hand that I have been delt.

Ben

Where I am at the time will be where I’ll be riding it out. I think it’ll be 6 of one 1/2 dozen of the type of thing for me. Here in NJ I’ve familiarity with the area, resources, a small amount of family in walking distance and community. Up at the cabin I have natural resources and my brother. Both places can have big targets for foreign attack—NJ has NYC (I’m close enough to have smelled the WTC on 911); cabin is 30 miles away from Ft. Drum.

The distance between them is too great to leave one for the other in a time of uncertainty.

We have coal all around us here. Open coal mines in a SHTF scenario. Just take a pick and a shovel and go and dig it out or the nearest heap and haul it back to wherever home is in walking distance.

Some place where no one can see the smoke from or smell my woodstove. this would be of prime importance to get thru the hunger times of the first couple of years. Three or four feet of earth over the top. this is possible most places that don't have as high water table.
Like a cellar built into the back of a hillside that could be repurposed for cooking? I'd like more info on this idea. I've never thought of it.

Right now we are still in the high mountains of SWVA. I suppose the safest place would be here in the Appalachians on the East coast-smack dab on the borders of WV and Kentucky.
Dangerous up these Hollers if you don't know anyone and you try and come up one, sniffing around.
The mountains go in some places almost up to an elevation of 6,000 ft. Winding one lane roads up these Hollers with mountains coming right down on 4 sides. Houses clinging to the mountainsides and gardening done trellis method or you've cleared an acre of a level spot. That's about all you'll get.
My concern is we are a town/county of Hunters, and everyone is still pretty much Conservative and owns weapons. What happens when the hunger comes, and friends and neighbors turn against one another for food, livestock, medicine, etc?
It will be bad, and in those times, clever and smart will rule the day along with continual prayer for safety. Be alert and pray. We will all just have to do the best we can.

For this thread, beyond your personal situation, try to think "NEW", two weeks or two months into an event, where will you be wishing you were located.
Far away from whatever disaster happened. Since the SHTF event is unknown then so is the best location. I gambled and chose a nice mountain location with 2 tops and 2 valleys that are away from any major city.

When my wife and I lived in the mega metropolis that is South Florida (Palm Beach, Broward, and Dade counties) toward the end we were praying for the opportunity to get out and move to the country.
I know God made it happen, there were too many coincidences to just be pure luck.
He even found our property for us. It is four acres on a dead end dirt road six miles outside a one stop light town of less than 2,000 people.
We have a horse if gasoline becomes non existent, we have enough food put back for years, the wife grows more to replace what we eat, we have kept laying hens for eggs for almost 30 years now.

God knew what was coming when He led us here.

But wait!
Anytime, Supervisor! Will trade chicken pot pie, eggs, and goat cheeses for ammunition and beer....

Anytime, Supervisor! Will trade chicken pot pie, eggs, and goat cheeses for ammunition and beer....
Ammo wouldn't be a problem, but beer might be.
Everything I have keeps vanishing for some strange reason
62288-Toast.gif

Got any 5-gallon water jugs? I can brew a butt-kicking good corn-based beer that tops off at around 10%
Just keep me in hops, brewer's yeast, and molasses. it will be an acquired taste I assure you.

Latest posts

Back