WHATEVER is Coming, where will the "SAFER" place be......???

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's kind of relative to me. My kids and grandkids are pretty close to Chicago. I'm in a safer place than them. I'm in a small town on an acre with no neighbors but I am still in town. Safer in this area in the country? Maybe, maybe not. I'm not scared. When I die, I die. (except for that eternity thing!) Looking forward to that!

For this thread, beyond your personal situation, try to think "NEW", two weeks or two months into an event, where will you be wishing you were located.

For this thread, beyond your personal situation... two weeks or two months into an event, where will you be wishing you were located.

I think just about Up exactly where Yer property is at would be Ideal.. (Plenty of Water / Fish / Forest-Food / Fertile Soil.. all Good, 'Icicle-Life' withstanding.. ;) Decently 'insulated' from Pop. / Zombie-Centers, too. :cool:

Dang, Brrr.. 🥶 Does tenancy come with a covered-Earth / Strawbale/Stucco Bunker & a Bakers Dozen highly-fertile 'Playboy Bunnies' for warmth and 'Dutiful Planet-Repopulation'? 🤔;)

Should be safely away from any 'fallout', and I'd bet the Fishing would be somethin else (Oh yeah, I forgot - Be needing a 'Diesel Duck' and a bajunch of #2 in storage, too, Thanks... ;)

PS - A fine example of the legendary 'Diesel Duck', for those that may not know the Wonders of these "yachts": https://www.denisonyachtsales.com/yacht-listings/50-Diesel-Duck-50--2014-Antalya/6712838 😍

jd

Last edited:
I agree with Amish Heart on this one. We will stay put, and I expect our kids to come to us. No worries, I have included them in our preps ever since my daughter got married. Where we are would be considerably safer than where they are.

I've got a couple options that should be far safer than where I'm at, should there be a true SHTF event. One is a hour away by car, or probably 2.5 days on foot. But none are a prepper's paradise. If there's a true SHTF event, I'm dead anyway so I may as well die where I stand. Getting my kid to a place where she has a puncher's chance is the priority and that means heading back to the farm...

For this thread, beyond your personal situation, try to think "NEW", two weeks or two months into an event, where will you be wishing you were located.
If I want to outlive the cockroaches? On a catamaran in the Pacific. If I'm desperate enough to tempt mother nature, retreat to Point Nemo. The weather down there is pretty gnarly though. Willfully staying there would be akin to following a hurricane in a hot air balloon. There's several small, barely inhabited islands to the north.

1682611265290.png

The Good Book is filled with references and warnings.

Genesis 19:17

When they had brought them outside, one said, “Escape for your life! Do not look behind you, and do not stay anywhere in the valley; escape to the mountains, or you will be swept away.”

Genesis 14:10

Now the valley of Siddim was full of tar pits; and the kings of Sodom and Gomorrah fled, and they fell into them. But those who survived fled to the hill country

Josua 2:16

She said to them, “Go to the hill country, so that the pursuers will not happen upon you, and hide yourselves there for three days until the pursuers return. Then afterward you may go on your way

Matthew 24:16

then those who are in Judea must flee to the mountains.

Mark 13:14

But when you see the abomination of desolation standing where it should not be (let the reader understand), then those who are in Judea must flee to the mountains.

Luke 21:21

Then those who are in Judea must flee to the mountains, and those who are in the midst of the city must leave, and those who are in the country must not enter the city;

I have thought for some time along the lines of: a third world country = where they already know how to survive on nothing. Or any area here within the US that is close to that paramotor. Where are folks most able to live on very little? Becoming a part or at least an elusive neighbor to such a community could be a good location in that they (preferably a sparsely populated "they") would be more apt to fend for themselves, defend what little they have, and not be a target for those on the hunt for things of value.
This is my initial thought but might need to think more deeply on the subject.

Right here where the closest neighbor is about 1/2 mile from us. We have one-year of food supplies, a garden, plenty of wildlife, 10 fishing lakes within 5 miles, a water supply 50 feet from our front door that doesn't need any kind of treatment, about 5 years of cut & split firewood stockpiled, more battle rifles and ammo than we will ever be able to use in a lifetime. It would be foolish of us to try to find somewhere else to live.

I have thought for some time along the lines of: a third world country = where they already know how to survive on nothing. Or any area here within the US that is close to that paramotor. Where are folks most able to live on very little? Becoming a part or at least an elusive neighbor to such a community could be a good location in that they (preferably a sparsely populated "they") would be more apt to fend for themselves, defend what little they have, and not be a target for those on the hunt for things of value.
Sounds like the Amish or Mennonites, aside from their pacifist beliefs...

Sounds like the Amish or Mennonites, aside from their pacifist beliefs...
Maybe historically but anymore, I think they are just as tainted by dependance as many others - the caveat being I do think they have a much stronger sense of community than most "English." There are some very wealthy Amish and some not so wealthy which I think has something to do with it all.

True that. But there's mostly poorer Amish. I say that lightly, though, because it depends how you define poor. I think my sis realized that when she visited a short time ago. We left a great business, husband had a high paying job aside from our business, a very nice huge house. We live in a very old looking, nothing fancy at all farmhouse built in 1908. Something is always falling apart at some time or another. But we have land. And it's all paid for. She has a big mortgage and a nice house in Florida. So we are poor. My great grandpa Shem lived down the road. Oil was discovered on his property, and he let the oil company drill and have that whole section. He refused the proceeds. I know many amish in our area doing ok. But I know some that barely get by. But...they have what they need, and are grateful to be blessed. And everyone helps those in need in the community, and that's worth alot.

Well I don't have to flee to the mountain because I am already there. People will be the problem most places and the lack of specific skills like doctors etc will be a problem. Right now I am converting some toys like the bike in the photo into more usefull goods since I don't think we have all that much time. I figure on helping a small group of younger people survive and learn skills and when my time comes to depart I will make sure I gave it my all.

Attachments

• 103_0210.JPG
    103_0210.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
I know I replied earlier with my real answer, but…

I think someone could easily ride out the storm if they had a cabin and a well developed subsistence set up hidden deep in the inside passage. Abundant fresh water and insanely abundant year round food sources. You would just need to have that set up and have the skills to survive the harsh environment prior to the fall. Probably the most isolated area you can be in the northern hemisphere.

The other really good place would be in areas like the northern Tikchik lakes or in the area around Lake Clark, both in very remote areas of western interior Alaska. While I admit to not having the prerequisite nautical skillset for the inside passage, Tikchik and Lake Clark are in my wheelhouse.

I am feeling good in my current mountain retreat, but I do acknowledge that there are always safer places. The places above are safer.

I put a lot of thought in to this before buying this place. It's about as good of a location as there is to be had in my opinion. According to the maps the prevailing winds should keep NBC pretty well away from us and there aren't any close probable targets that I know of. For me the best part is probably less than 200 people even know there is a place back here in these woods and unless you already know no one in there right mind would expect there to be a small farm / homestead here 2 miles from anything else down a barely passible logging road.

I put a lot of thought in to this before buying this place. It's about as good of a location as there is to be had in my opinion. According to the maps the prevailing winds should keep NBC pretty well away from us and there aren't any close probable targets that I know of. For me the best part is probably less than 200 people even know there is a place back here in these woods and unless you already know no one in there right mind would expect there to be a small farm / homestead here 2 miles from anything else down a barely passible logging road.
Congratulations........Well done. I would sometimes see that situation when ferrying aircraft through western Canada to Alaska. Trees so thick you can't see a horse trail or tiny dirt road, just a small clearing with smoke coming from a chimney. No other sign of life as far as I could see from 7,000 AGL.

Last edited:
Dawn and I spent a lot of time just trying to figure out what are the likely things that seemed to be going wrong with the world and to determine what we needed to survive and prosper for the possible (probable?) hard times. These included:
  • Increased violence within the US. driven by racial, economic, and social/political issues;
  • Possibility of fiscal crises which would wipe out peoples' savings (retirees and wage-earners);
  • Natural and socio-political disasters exacerbated by climate change issues.
We looked for inexpensive land with good soil, lots of sun, four seasons, and a solid aquifer to ensure a permanent supply of potable and irrigation water. We looked for a one-party state to help minimize civil disturbances, somewhere where the politics are pretty laissez-faire, homeschool-friendly, and minimized zoning/HOA busy-bodies. Friendly neighbors, enough isolation for a bit of privacy, and reasonable access to a good hospital. Home Depot, Wal-Mart, and a farm supply store.

We chose to relocate in 2018 from Mesa AZ -- a suburban community of about a half million -- to Twin Falls County ID, a primarily rural (dairy, hay, potatoes, sugar beets, and other vegetable crops) area. Idaho is a very Red state with an extremely large prepper population (Eastern Idaho is predominately LDS, as are most of our new friends-'-neighbors).

Hunting and fishing, as well as other outdoor recreation activities, are superb. Our neighbors have been extremely helpful and accepting of us, advising us in picking our livestock, and always showing up when it's time to pull a new fence or dig a settling pond for our irrigation. They've forgotten more about year's supply approaches for food and other items which has itself been worth the trip.

It's not perfect by any means; there are few "big city" amenities. Also, we have Californians coming in daily! All in all, though, we think we've picked the best location and situation we could've hoped for -- it's almost a prepper's paradise! I figure we're as safe here (realistically) as just about any place else in North America.

Dawn and I spent a lot of time just trying to figure out what are the likely things that seemed to be going wrong with the world and to determine what we needed to survive and prosper for the possible (probable?) hard times. These included:
  • Increased violence within the US. driven by racial, economic, and social/political issues;
  • Possibility of fiscal crises which would wipe out peoples' savings (retirees and wage-earners);
  • Natural and socio-political disasters exacerbated by climate change issues.
We looked for inexpensive land with good soil, lots of sun, four seasons, and a solid aquifer to ensure a permanent supply of potable and irrigation water. We looked for a one-party state to help minimize civil disturbances, somewhere where the politics are pretty laissez-faire, homeschool-friendly, and minimized zoning/HOA busy-bodies. Friendly neighbors, enough isolation for a bit of privacy, and reasonable access to a good hospital. Home Depot, Wal-Mart, and a farm supply store.

We chose to relocate in 2018 from Mesa AZ -- a suburban community of about a half million -- to Twin Falls County ID, a primarily rural (dairy, hay, potatoes, sugar beets, and other vegetable crops) area. Idaho is a very Red state with an extremely large prepper population (Eastern Idaho is predominately LDS, as are most of our new friends-'-neighbors).

Hunting and fishing, as well as other outdoor recreation activities, are superb. Our neighbors have been extremely helpful and accepting of us, advising us in picking our livestock, and always showing up when it's time to pull a new fence or dig a settling pond for our irrigation. They've forgotten more about year's supply approaches for food and other items which has itself been worth the trip.

It's not perfect by any means; there are few "big city" amenities. Also, we have Californians coming in daily! All in all, though, we think we've picked the best location and situation we could've hoped for -- it's almost a prepper's paradise! I figure we're as safe here (realistically) as just about any place else in North America.
Very nice example of being clear about your prepping/survival location objectives.

Last edited:

Good move! :thumbs:
The only people that will be nuking Idaho's potatoes will be doing it in their microwave-ovens.:D

Very nice example of being clear about your prepping/survival location objectives.
Thanks for the kind words, Sourdough and Supervisors. Our "threat analysis/response" plan actually came from a course I was taking at business school couple years before I retired. It was called "Overgrowth Strategies in International Finance" or some other meaningless MBA-ish title, but the instructor was a retired Army O-6 who used to flog the idea of reducing survival plans (of a business, not necessarily "prepper" stuff; but it was the same idea) to numbers so as to better meet battle contingencies. (This was originated, I think, by Robert McNamara, which is why we lost Vietnam, but I digress....)

Anyway, each team was required to develop a situation where there were a lot of potentially damaging possibilities, determine the likelihood of each by measuring some sort of possibilities, determine which were the most likely, and then cutting a plan to "survive" them. We chose, in true prepper-ish fashion, to analyze the various ways in which the excrement would strike the air handler, and recommend a source of action to meet the challenges.

Obviously, we couldn't think of every possible schitt-storm, so we started by brainstorming all the possible hazards that we might see. No argument (yet); we each wrote down about six or seven threats to think about, ranging from "a truck hits a power pole, knocks out a major transformer, and leaves us in the dark for a week", "getting laid off from our job", "financial collapse", "general nuclear exchange", Yellowstone caldera eruption". and on and on. Then by voting on each, we narrowed them down to five or six that we agreed would be most likely, given how we saw the state of things.
Then, we designed a matrix to measure each problem:

• What's the chances of it happening within the next year?
  • What's the chance of it happening within the next five years?
  • How serious (lives lost, infrastructure degradation) will it be?
  • How long will it last?
  • How much will we have to spend (individually or as a group) to fix it?
Each of the parameters would be graded by consensus on a one-to-five scale, where one would be the least dire, while a five would be much more serious. This was difficult, and gave us some "interesting" answers when we added up each of the parameters and ran the statistical reduction crap on them.

Think about it. Knocking out the transformer gets a low score for happening within the next year, a higher number for "happening within the next five years", a medium score for "how serious". A Yellowstone caldera eruption would be VERY high in both "lives lost" and "cost to fix", but a VERY low number for "happening within the next year or five years". The final results -- and the recommendations in our paper -- were controversial, to say the least!

The team score for the analysis and report was a B+, which I guess was better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.

being a foreigner in another country is not a wise idea, especially in a SHTF situation, no matter how little you think you have you will always be better off than the locals, and guess who will get targeted for looting first? not the locals who have always lived there thats for sure!

being a foreigner in another country is not a wise idea, especially in a SHTF situation, no matter how little you think you have you will always be better off than the locals, and guess who will get targeted for looting first? not the locals who have always lived there thats for sure!
That can apply within your own country. Heck, within your own state.

When I was a young boy (ages 7 - 16) my father was a USG employee living in Micronesia, which the US administered for the UN. Our family lived in what is now the Federated States of Micronesia. I always wanted to go "home", and finally returned (with my own family this time) for a month when I was in my early fifties. Although it's a foreign country, the universal language is English the official currency is the USD. Any Micronesian can visit (and stay) the US and US citizens can move there as well, although FSM citizenship is not granted.

It is about as close a place as I've heard of where a person can subsist as a hunter-gatherer and do quite well, although if you have a pension (like the US' Social Security) your life may be quite a bit easier. However, if I wanted a safer, more stable tropical beach island than here in the US, my personal choice would be Belize. Dawn and I have visited there several times, but we have not lived there.

In the final analysis, I certainly feel more at home as a United Statesian, and Idaho suits me just fine!

Latest posts

Back